Options

Potential ban on taking hand luggage onto an airplane

Comments

• Options
    KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    anne_666 wrote: »
    I agree but when you know you can't, suck it up.

No.

I might as well insist you wear a burkha since there's no way to resist what terrorists are doing to us, right?
  • Options
    KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    It's not a work laptop, I just happen to do freelance work on it. Anyway it's none of your business and stop calling me Monica.

I watch films about gladiators on mine.
  • Options
    jarryhackjarryhack Posts: 5,076
    Forum Member
    KJ44 wrote: »
    IT people understand backups.

A short play:

"I've lost all my digital photos!"

(Monica engages smug mode)

Fin.

Thing is I'm not in IT and would rather go along with whatever security I have to if I want to fly. It's not the end of the world if you lose stuff from a laptop or even the laptop itself. I'm more free!
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KJ44 wrote: »
    No.

I might as well insist you wear a burkha since there's no way to resist what terrorists are doing to us, right?

No. What difference has moaning about extra security made so far, in 13 years? None whatsoever. Why should it work now? This is the Faily Express of course. I can't find any other info about it. Their crystal ball always needs a polish.:D
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    jarryhack wrote: »
    Thing is I'm not in IT and would rather go along with whatever security I have to if I want to fly. It's not the end of the world if you lose stuff from a laptop or even the laptop itself. I'm more free!

Surely being "free" means not being told what you can or can't take on a plane for fear of terrorism?
  • Options
    CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shackfan wrote: »
    Indeed. End of thread.
    Exactly. They said it would snow last week.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    vinba wrote: »
    Great. Next will be an enema for every passenger just in case you're carrying anything up your bum.

And you're saying that you'd rather be blown to bits than have a tube stuck up your bum?

You must be some kind of nutcase!

Etc. :blush:
  • Options
    Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    What about tranquillising every passenger before having a professional security team remove their clothes, inspect and X-ray them. Then put them into a sealed metal box and forklift them in batches onto the plane, which can be flown by remote control by a vetted pilot and computers.

On arrival, they're removed from the boxes in the arrival lounge and left to wake up. Unfortunately, their removed clothes and other personal items won't be taken with them, but a selection of shops will sell new clothes, shoes, cosmetics and stuff at airport prices.
  • Options
    BlofeldBlofeld Posts: 8,233
    Forum Member
    Back in 2006 for a few weeks there was an almost total ban on Hand baggage due to the liquid bomb threat which led to today's 100ml/clear plastic bag rule.

I remember we flew out the day before it came in to force with 1 litre bottles of water in our hand baggage and the next day we saw people arriving at our hotel in Prague (off the airport shuttle bus) with plastic see through bags containing only passports and magazines. Absolutely nothing else was allowed (someone showed us a leaflet they got given at Heathrow stating the rules) hand people got on just fine for the short space of time it was in force. We flew back about 10 days later and the rules were still in force. Our hand baggage was simply a plastic bag with my medication, a book, my house keys and my passport. BA checked in all the other (former) hand baggage we had for free due to the short notice.

The plane boarded extremely quickly as no one was faffing around with ridiculous trolley bags, hand bags, duty free, laptops etc, looking for space, trying to cram it all in above their seats.

You know what, even without the terror threat, it may be a good idea to ban it all anyway, there would be far less delays and waiting about.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Surely being "free" means not being told what you can or can't take on a plane for fear of terrorism?
    No I mean I'm more free in that losing a laptop or a few photos doesn't bother me in the scheme of things. You can't change what you are or aren't allowed to do on an aircraft for obvious reason, but you can free yourself from worrying about the minor things.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Sod the laptops etc, passenger safety is more important.

If you don't like them going in the hold then leave them at home.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jarryhack wrote: »
    No I mean I'm more free in that losing a laptop or a few photos doesn't bother me in the scheme of things.

And yet you don't seem concerned at the thought of losing the freedom to choose what you can take aboard a plane? :confused:

Might be better if you thought about that rather than whether or not people need to take laptops on planes or not.

What's next?
    "I'm more free because being strip-searched and rectally-examined before being strapped into my seat and sedated for the trip doesn't bother me in the grand scheme of things"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    And yet you don't seem concerned at the thought of losing the freedom to choose what you can take aboard a plane? :confused:

Might be better if you thought about that rather than whether or not people need to take laptops on planes or not.

What's next?
    "I'm more free because being strip-searched and rectally-examined before being strapped into my seat and sedated for the trip doesn't bother me in the grand scheme of things"

You're being ridiculous, I can't change what I can take into a plane, can I? But I can be laid back about losing a laptop or some pictures on it, Instead of worrying and fretting. But you knew what I meant didn't you?
  • Options
    Madridista23Madridista23 Posts: 9,422
    Forum Member
    GPW wrote: »
    As for a total ban, it's a non starter. Many passengers have to carry medicine with them at all times i.e diabetics etc.
    Not to mention the hand-baggage only fares that BA offer... this would hit those on the head for starters...... :cool:
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And like I say, what would you prefer you luggage arriving in one piece or yourself?

I don't recall ever taking my laptop in hand luggage anyway so suppose that's why it doesn't bother me.

As I mentioned they already xray your hand luggage so if they cannot detect explosives in your hand baggage how would they in hold luggage so if this were really the case a terrorist would just put the undetectable bomb in their hold luggage and an explosion in the hold will take a plane down in the same way it would in a cabin.

Banning hand luggage will not happen unless budget airlines want to save space
  • Options
    rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The rules are already bad with the liquid in your cosmetics bag for a long flight. I had shaving foam and everything confiscated at Madrid airport. Ridiculous.
  • Options
    reglipreglip Posts: 5,268
    Forum Member
    Airports like to scare you. I dont know why they do this. They station police everywhere with big guns openly on display. I have never travelled by plane so when i go to the airport I find it shocking and it reminds me of living somewhere in a military dictatorship. I have no idea what the point of all this is but I assume it is for show to make people feel safer but it just puts me on edge. They do all sorts of things to give the impression that they are safer but the reality is that they are not. All this banning liquids and rubbish like that but once you are through the barriers you can just get some from their shops which of course could be exploited. Its all a waste of time and resources but the airports do like to make themselves feel important. They're just flying buses
  • Options
    Forum Member
    rfonzo wrote: »
    The rules are already bad with the liquid in your cosmetics bag for a long flight. I had shaving foam and everything confiscated at Madrid airport. Ridiculous.

Speaking of rules, when airlines decide to start paying more than £12 per kg for lost luggage, I'll start thinking about putting stuff that's worth more than £12 per kg in my luggage.
  • Options
    RooftopcowboyRooftopcowboy Posts: 7,252
    Forum Member
    While I think this story from the Express is a load of rubbish...I wish the authorities would force airlines to move back to using the hold of planes more. Flying was far more pleasant years ago when you would check-in, get rid of all your bags and then have a couple of hours in dutyfree & the cafe's with no bags to carry.

instead you now have to avoid tripping over kids with those 'trunki' cases on wheels, adults are carrying bags as big as they can get away with, and the cabin is rammed with cases. And they call that progress. Don't even get me started on the other 'innovations' like printing your own tickets!
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,656
    Forum Member
    While I think this story from the Express is a load of rubbish...I wish the authorities would force airlines to move back to using the hold of planes more. Flying was far more pleasant years ago when you would check-in, get rid of all your bags and then have a couple of hours in dutyfree & the cafe's with no bags to carry.

OTOH saves a lot of time if you only have hand luggage - no waiting around at the luggage carousel! We did that on an adventure trip to SE Asia many years ago, but perhaps they wouldn't allow so much on board now.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    They cannot understand how others dont care about being parted form "stuff"

I always put my electrics in my suitcases as need my hand luggage for other things.. Who wants to keep things with them when you are not even using them.

I wouldn't trust the baggage handlers not to steal things from hold luggage.
  • Options
    sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I wont spend my life worrying about things getting stolen. I have insurance, they can worry not me.

When I see the worry on peoples faces trying to protect their stuff, I refuse to do that.
    I have a lady that comes out with me sometimes, always worrying about her bag and my bag. Sod that!

I refuse to get bogged down about "stuff"
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm ancient, I've travelled a lot and I've never had anything stolen from unlocked hold luggage. My luggage has been lost once by British Airways on a transatlantic flight. I got it back around 6 hours later at my hotel. Also as the FM above me says having insurance is all I bother about. "Stuff" is replaceable.
  • Options
    TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And you're saying that you'd rather be blown to bits than have a tube stuck up your bum?

You must be some kind of nutcase!

Etc. :blush:
    Sod the laptops etc, passenger safety is more important.

If you don't like them going in the hold then leave them at home.

Point proven.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I wont spend my life worrying about things getting stolen. I have insurance, they can worry not me.

When I see the worry on peoples faces trying to protect their stuff, I refuse to do that.
    I have a lady that comes out with me sometimes, always worrying about her bag and my bag. Sod that!

I refuse to get bogged down about "stuff"

I bet you still have locks on your doors.