Options

Strictly Come Dancing...'it takes two'..chat thread.. (Part 15)

Comments

• Options
    cwickhamcwickham Posts: 10,277
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Everybody looked good in training. I stand by my prediction that Mark will be going this Saturday but it's tough to call who's joining him as I'm not sure how the leaderboard will stand.
  • Options
    Mrs FMrs F Posts: 8,232
    Forum Member
    FrostyJim wrote: »
    So the Waltzathon isn't fair to the celeb blokes, what a surprise.

the only time a "thon" has worked is the swingathon in series 9, where Harry Judd won
  • Options
    TerryM22TerryM22 Posts: 19,463
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    curvybabes wrote: »
    Really enjoyed the show tonight, I didn't know Aljaz and Karen danced together on BTF but seeing them together they look good together hope they win the pro challenge. Simon and Kristina definetly look and sound like they are a couple.

It was a great show.
  • Options
    BuddyBontheNetBuddyBontheNet Posts: 28,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The couples get three weeks before the series proper starts for training time. I don't know how much time was given to the couples in the early years as there was no launch show but I can't imagine they were given more than three weeks, probably less also don't forget in the early years all couples would be performing two dances per week by now. That was commitment.
    ...It really annoyed me on Saturday night when Mark said he'd normally train 20 hours or so but couldn't last week because of his job. Even 20 hours is nowhere near good enough - back in the day when they published the training figures the celebs were regularly doing 35-40 hours a week. No wonder the dancing was generally much more of a joy to watch back then!...

Sorry, but it was definitely a lot more than three weeks. Can't for the life of me remember how much though. In the earlier series celebs with other commitments were few and far between, maybe a couple every series if that. Several celebs from the earlier series have said SCD effectively took up 6 months of their lives.

This is all relevant because as we've seen, it affects the quality of the dancing. Mystic is right about 20 hours training being nothing compared to the earlier series where over 30 would easily be the norm. No wonder celebs these days can't take on two dances until very near the end.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    cwickham wrote: »
    Everybody looked good in training. I stand by my prediction that Mark will be going this Saturday but it's tough to call who's joining him as I'm not sure how the leaderboard will stand.

the judges will decide the ranking order, I bet they're working on it even as we speak:D
  • Options
    GeorgeMarshGeorgeMarsh Posts: 1,776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cwickham wrote: »

I think he could have another bottom 2 bounce, Frankie and Pixie could be in trouble :(
  • Options
    londongirlGrelondongirlGre Posts: 23,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mrs F wrote: »
    because.................

Sometimes, it looks like they might like each other romantically but other times,it seems platonic.

I think that, after Saturday, they might be trying not show their feelings to the public.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must be the only one who doesn't see the romantic vibe between Simon and Kristina. :blush:
  • Options
    Stupid_HeadStupid_Head Posts: 37,826
    Forum Member
    I must be the only one who doesn't see the romantic vibe between Simon and Kristina. :blush:

I see more of a romantic vibe between Zoe and Ian and well, that's just impossible.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sorry, but it was definitely a lot more than three weeks. Can't for the life of me remember how much though. In the earlier series celebs with other commitments were few and far between, maybe a couple every series if that. Several celebs from the earlier series have said SCD effectively took up 6 months of their lives.

This is all relevant because as we've seen, it affects the quality of the dancing. Mystic is right about 20 hours training being nothing compared to the earlier series where over 30 would easily be the norm. No wonder celebs these days can't take on two dances until very near the end.

in the early series couples had 5 weeks training before the 1st live show week, and we didnt have "launch" shows. I can remember Camilla saying that it took a week to train the celeb boys to "walk" in latin shoes, which is why I guess they dont usually wear the proper shoes now:(

When we got training figures couples who reached the finals would have done around 300 hours training for the whole series
  • Options
    Forum Member

I dont either, but then I never saw "anything" between Pasha and Rachel:D
  • Options
    FrostyJimFrostyJim Posts: 3,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the only time a "thon" has worked is the swingathon in series 9, where Harry Judd won

I don't think I've ever enjoyed any version of the 'thon on the show, always seems like more of an endurance test than dancing ability test and it's always too short. I'd rather they all just did two whole proper dances.
  • Options
    edy10edy10 Posts: 18,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I dont see it either :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    in the early series couples had 5 weeks training before the 1st live show week, and we didnt have "launch" shows. I can remember Camilla saying that it took a week to train the celeb boys to "walk" in latin shoes, which is why I guess they dont usually wear the proper shoes now:(

When we got training figures couples who reached the finals would have done around 300 hours training for the whole series

I'm pretty sure Anton said he spent the first three weeks on basics and moved on to the first dance after that. Not that long ago I can remember a female celeb asking Brendan how long before they did some proper choreographed bits and I think he answered something along the lines of "When you've cracked the basics." The pros used to say that time spent learning basic techniques was worthwhile in the long run. Changed days indeed and actually it makes a bit of a mockery of Ian's role because the pros are doing the best they can with the time they've got.
    I see more of a romantic vibe between Zoe and Ian and well, that's just impossible.

I think so too! :D
    I dont either, but then I never saw "anything" between Pasha and Rachel:D

Me neither although I could see it with Kara & Artem and Brian & Ali. :D
    edy10 wrote: »
    I dont see it either :confused:
    So glad we're not alone! :D
  • Options
    humpty dumptyhumpty dumpty Posts: 4,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zoe being a bit cheeky tonight:) I'm convinced she's in the know with whatever's going on between Simon and Kristina and is really enjoying teasing them - ' I thought you said I love you at the end of that dance' and then 'I'm buying my hat' ..she knows what she's doing.
  • Options
    aggsaggs Posts: 29,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure Anton said he spent the first three weeks on basics and moved on to the first dance after that. Not that long ago I can remember a female celeb asking Brendan how long before they did some proper choreographed bits and I think he answered something along the lines of "When you've cracked the basics." The pros used to say that time spent learning basic techniques was worthwhile in the long run. Changed days indeed and actually it makes a bit of a mockery of Ian's role because the pros are doing the best they can with the time they've got.

I think so too! :D

Me neither although I could see it with Kara & Artem and Brian & Ali. :D

So glad we're not alone! :D
    g

I remember Ian sayings that too - and you can see it when he dances with Zoe.
    She looks like she actually learnt to dance not just a routine.
  • Options
    londongirlGrelondongirlGre Posts: 23,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zoe being a bit cheeky tonight:) I'm convinced she's in the know with whatever's going on between Simon and Kristina and is really enjoying teasing them - ' I thought you said I love you at the end of that dance' and then 'I'm buying my hat' ..she knows what she's doing.

Now that you mentioned it, I agree. During a previous interview with them, Kristina mentioned that there was high emotions in Blackpool and Zoe raise her eyebrows, in a knowing way to Simon, who started smiling.
  • Options
    blindsideblindside Posts: 4,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I wonder if the training time reduction isn't a compromise that has to be made these days if Strictly wants to retain a reasonable level of celeb. A lot of people they would love on the show simply can't make that level of time commitment - if they have an active career at the same time. So we see much less embedded, let alone polished, technique from some of the performers.
  • Options
    ElsaElsa Posts: 3,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blindside wrote: »
    I wonder if the training time reduction isn't a compromise that has to be made these days if Strictly wants to retain a reasonable level of celeb. A lot of people they would love on the show simply can't make that level of time commitment - if they have an active career at the same time. So we see much less embedded, let alone polished, technique from some of the performers.

I want to know why it was ok for Jennifer Gibney to take off the entire first week of training to go to Florida (without Tristan) for a "breather" - and why it was ok for Gregg to go to Italy without Aliona the 2nd week of training (though he said Aliona gave him some "homework"). >:(

Simon didn't start until 5 days into the 3 weeks but at least he had work as an excuse.
  • Options
    -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just can't make up my mind who to get behind this year. Simon's come on leaps and bounds and his partnership with Kristina seems more natural and relaxed. Wouldn't mind them being the surprise winners at all.
  • Options
    dippydancingdippydancing Posts: 9,428
    Forum Member
    FrostyJim wrote: »
    I don't think I've ever enjoyed any version of the 'thon on the show, always seems like more of an endurance test than dancing ability test and it's always too short. I'd rather they all just did two whole proper dances.

For me, it's all of the camera weaknesses in one big frustrating mess. Just as your eye latches onto a couple in relative close-up, it whips back to an overall shot, and I can never tell which couple's which. Just as I figure it out, the angle changes either to a medium shot if you're lucky, or a close-up so you can't see the dancing properly. Then the camera zooms in on the judges (more observation time lost) and then the judges send off the first couple and we've barely seen them. Repeat ad nauseam to the end of the dance and then it's over, with me feeling not much the wiser or even entertained.
  • Options
    mia75mia75 Posts: 9,352
    Forum Member
    Elsa wrote: »
    Me too! And I used to like her. She's so damned patronising - like a fussy schoolmarm, or something. I want James Jordan to take her role next year!

(ducking for cover....)

Or maybe Robin Windsor - to keep him off the male pro slate and leave an opening for one of the hotties that they might otherwise abandon. I demand hunky pros!!! (I'll make an exception for Anton - but only the one)

ETA: Wait, I think I got the wrong Karen. Not too wild about bandy-leg Karen either.

Yeah don't like either Karen.
  • Options
    MayDMayD Posts: 3,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mia75 wrote: »
    Yeah don't like either Karen.
    Neither do I. Especially the ITT gurner

Anyway, I sometimes get confused when people just say "Karen"

I think why can't they say "Karen H"
    Oh wait ...
    Why can't they say "Karen Ha"
    Oh FFS :(

:D
  • Options
    Cally's mumCally's mum Posts: 4,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think some people are projecting, Buddy. Anyone would think this was Big Brother instead of SCD.
  • Options
    TejasTejas Posts: 5,027
    Forum Member
    I love both Karens! :D
This discussion has been closed.