Options

Spelling, punctuation and grammar pedants: What annoys you the most?

Comments

• Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    Inkblot wrote: »
    People who say things like "he run away" or "I done that" or "she couldn't have went" make me quite tense.

'had went / have went' is one of my pet hates.
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Smiley433 wrote: »
    "I've just brought a new car." I've read it so often I'm actually beginning to say it in conversation and having to correct myself.

I know the day is coming when I write "should of" and then I'm going to have to sit myself on the naughty step for a good few minutes!

Worryingly it is how language evolves - on QI Stephen Fry stated that orange was originally from the Spanish - "a norange", but people constantly said "an orange" until it became official.
  • Options
    shankly123shankly123 Posts: 598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shrike wrote: »
    I know the day is coming when I write "should of" and then I'm going to have to sit myself on the naughty step for a good few minutes!

Worryingly it is how language evolves - on QI Stephen Fry stated that orange was originally from the Spanish - "a norange", but people constantly said "an orange" until it became official.

It seems that Mr Fry (or his elves) may be wrong on this occasion - http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/a-norange.html - although the actual process of the n migrating from the indefinite article to the noun is not unknown. I hope that 'would of' never becomes accepted usage as it is simply wrong and actually makes no sense.
  • Options
    Madridista23Madridista23 Posts: 9,422
    Forum Member
    Just for a bit of fun! :)

I'm a SPAG pedant, I don't mind admitting it. There are plenty of mistakes I see on this forum, Facebook and elsewhere which get my blood boiling.

But there are two particular ones that annoy me more than anything else. When I see either of them, I want to punch the nearest wall.

Breath instead of breathe.

Using a grave accent instead of an apostrophe.

There are of course others, but these two make me the angriest! I can't explain why.

What are yours?

I repeat, this is just a bit of fun
    . ;-) I am sure I have made at least one spelling or grammar mistake in this very post, so please feel free to point it out! :D
    Awww..... there their they're.......... :D
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Red John wrote: »
    Using an apostrophe incorrectly with a plural: grammar Nazi's >:(

That irritates me as well.

Less / fewer
    Who's / whose
    Lose / loose
    Their / there / they're

All that said, I do struggle with tenses and personal pronouns. I mess up those all the time. :D
  • Options
    StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People who spell the noun licence (as in TV LICENCE) license.
    'License' is the American spelling. Are we being taken over or what? :confused:

Drives me nuts :o
    Oh and text speak. I would never have a relationship with a man who writes in text speak. What else is he going to take short cuts over? ;-)

Yes!!

Sadly I work for an American company who use the US version of licence as, of course, it's their show.

Each time I read it in emails etc I get irritated.

As for text speak. Ghastly.

I was complaining on here recently about using Xmas (*shudders*) for Christmas and someone took me to task asking if I objected to other abbreviations like LOL....of course I bloomin'do. :o:o In fact that is the first time I have ever typed the 'word' LOL.

I am hoping it is the last :D
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,609
    Forum Member
    Shrike wrote: »

Should of annoys me, too. However, there may be a case for of becoming a legitimate alternative to 've or have because on a mobile phone when texting, it takes two fewer key presses to type: 2 versus 4 or in the case of 'should of' 9 versus 11.
  • Options
    pearlsandplumspearlsandplums Posts: 30,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We was

LOL as punctuation: just going to the shops LOL

People Who Capitalise The First Letter Of Every Word

Using........ too many dots...... for no .... real reason....
  • Options
    JurassicMarkJurassicMark Posts: 12,955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We was

LOL as punctuation: just going to the shops LOL

People Who Capitalise The First Letter Of Every Word

They're........ On My........ List LOL

Also:

CAPITALISING THE WHOLE POST FOR NO APPARENT REASON

Using a comma instead of an apostrophe

h8 txt spk
  • Options
    EStaffs90EStaffs90 Posts: 13,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Something that annoys me - those who don't know that "it's" is a contraction instead of a possessive.
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd forgotten about loose/lose. That annoys the hell out of me as well. >:(

I think it's sad in a way that these problems seem so prevalent. Then again maybe it's always been like this, but because of things like forums, texting, Facebook, email etc we see more of people's spelling on a day to day basis than we would of (;-)) in the past.

Someone who has left school without knowing the differences between there, their and they're (for example) has surely been failed by the education system!
  • Options
    Bedlam_maidBedlam_maid Posts: 5,922
    Forum Member
    EStaffs90 wrote: »
    Something that annoys me - those who don't know that "it's" is a contraction instead of a possessive.

The thing is, I know that perfectly well, but sometimes my fingers do their own thing when I'm typing :blush:
  • Options
    Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    shelleyj89 wrote: »
    People who write "his" instead of "he's" or "your" instead of "you'll." Why? Where did that come from?!

Actually, that drives me mad and makes a person look as thick as pig shit.
  • Options
    UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EStaffs90 wrote: »
    To be fair that one is a little counterintuitive when apostrophes generally represent possession.

I wonder how people feel about serial or "Oxford" commas placed immediately before words like "and" and/or "or" in sentences? Personally I like them.
  • Options
    Tess-gTess-g Posts: 29,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Noone
    Alot
    Abit
    ..and yes using the grave accent rather than the apostrophe. Maybe I*ll start a new trend as it makes just as much sense.
  • Options
    Fred SplungeFred Splunge Posts: 654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Failing to put 'ly' at the end of adverbs. "He did brilliant" instead of "brilliantly", for example.

My other hated slang is "gonna". It's everywhere, it's sloppy and I hate, hate, hate it!
  • Options
    franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Failing to put 'ly' at the end of adverbs. "He did brilliant" instead of "brilliantly", for example.

My other hated slang is "gonna". It's everywhere, it's sloppy and I hate, hate, hate it!

Gonna make a note of that Fred :p:)
  • Options
    AsmoAsmo Posts: 15,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If pronunciation is included -

"Uzz" instead of "Us".

It's almost universal among TV presenters now.
  • Options
    venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another mention for alot and abit. Why do people do this?

Also 'everyday' when it should be 'every day'. There seems to be a current trend for being unable to use spaces where they're required.
  • Options
    KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    The selfishness of those who say S&G don't matter.
  • Options
    Forum Member

I ... like ... abusing ... ellipsis. Take care to use 3 dots!

It's more of an aposiopesis thing ...
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It would be totally unfair to expect others to even get near my high standards.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    SULLA wrote: »
    It would be totally unfair to expect others to even get near my standards.

Lowering ourselves, right? :D
  • Options
    ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    On the Breastfeeding thread - people using the word discrete instead of discreet. The words have totally different meanings.
  • Options
    QT 3.14QT 3.14 Posts: 1,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Using a grave accent instead of an apostrophe. >:(>:(>:(

That's bad, but nowhere as bad as the people who use a comma instead of an apostrophe.