Options

Religious Question that Needs Answering

Uncle FesterUncle Fester Posts: 15,357
Forum Member
✭✭
I was just going through a Religious thread and I had a thought , as "Jesus" was Jewish how come all his "disciples" have western names Mathew , Mark ,Luke , John and Peter :confused:
answers please anyone

Comments

• Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was just going through a Religious thread and I had a thought , as "Jesus" was Jewish how come all his "disciples" have western names Mathew , Mark ,Luke , John and Peter :confused:
    answers please anyone

They were anglicised.
  • Options
    rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeshua and his disciples all had Jewish/Middle Eastern names, their names and appearances were westernised to appeal to westerners

Think of it like any movie/book/fictional story that is adapted for a western audience
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Those names are the westernised form. I know Peter is Petros in Greek and Boutros in Arabic (As in Boutros Boutros Ghali)
    Jesus is a common name in Spanish speaking countries too - I think Spain qualifies as being Western.;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matthew / Mattius / Mattiyahu
  • Options
    nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    answers please anyone

They don't. Those names are Hebrew and Greek.
  • Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    nethwen wrote: »
    They don't. Those names are Hebrew and Greek.

Which then later became popular in Western countries presumably.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    idlewilde wrote: »
    Which then later became popular in Western countries presumably.

Yes, as Christianity spread here.
  • Options
    lee_sharplee_sharp Posts: 605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because it's all a load of made up claptrap......
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    lee_sharp wrote: »

That doesn't answer the question.
  • Options
    Steve_CardanasSteve_Cardanas Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

you are right it's all made up like star trek and doctor who.
  • Options
    KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member

Never mind the names, paintings tend to portray non-semitic people. I realise I'm on a sticky wicket here but isn't it strange how a lack of imagination betrays the fiction.

Hey, maybe they evolved to look European, as Christianity spread?
  • Options
    maggie thecatmaggie thecat Posts: 2,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.behindthename.com/name/matthew

Here's the origin of Matthew. It's the anglicised version of Greek translated from Hebrew. You can look up Paul (who was once Saul) and the rest as well.
  • Options
    culturemancultureman Posts: 11,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just to add to the mix; Jesus and his disciples probably spoke Aramaic.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cultureman wrote: »
    Just to add to the mix; Jesus and his disciples probably spoke Aramaic.

I think they were more likely to be multi-lingual.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would argue that most people in the UK arent aware where Christianity was born & in what language.

I'm sure they feel it was in one of the Home Counties & the Bible was revealed & printed in English....
  • Options
    wendy09wendy09 Posts: 3,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would argue that most people in the UK arent aware where Christianity was born & in what language.

I'm sure they feel it was in one of the Home Counties & the Bible was revealed & printed in English....

it was henry 8 and all that ..
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    answers please anyone

Matthew and John are Jewish names, but the others don't seem to be Jewish.

http://www.babynames.org.uk/jewish-boy-baby-names.htm
  • Options
    ennuiennui Posts: 1,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeshua and his disciples all had Jewish/Middle Eastern names, their names and appearances were westernised to appeal to westerners

Think of it like any movie/book/fictional story that is adapted for a western audience
    They were Judaic people living in a land under Greco-Roman jurisdiction. It had been Greek for over three hundred years. It was always a part of the Occidental world. It has always been a long way from the middle east, the lands east of the Euphrates. Why have you contrived some spurious idea that they would be more oriental ? Perhaps to appeal to some anti-western sentiment ?
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I suppose one thing that is quite strange is that even after the English version of the Bible became universal in the UK in the 17th century very few boys were named 'Jesus'

I can't think of any.......
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    I suppose one thing that is quite strange is that even after the English version of the Bible became universal in the UK in the 17th century very few boys were named 'Jesus'

I can't think of any.......

Jesus is a popular name in Spain and Hispanic countries (as is Maria)

Maybe its something to do with the catholic/protestant schism?

Although Joshua is a variant of Jesus and that's a very popular name in English speaking countries.
  • Options
    rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ennui wrote: »
    They were Judaic people living in a land under Greco-Roman jurisdiction. It had been Greek for over three hundred years. It was always a part of the Occidental world. It has always been a long way from the middle east, the lands east of the Euphrates. Why have you contrived some spurious idea that they would be more oriental ? Perhaps to appeal to some anti-western sentiment ?

I don't know much about the fictional story, sorry. The rest of my post is spot on
  • Options
    lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,376
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yea as other have said, the names we see in the Bible are modernised English names!

I often don't consider the setting and look at the stories in a sanitised way. The bible leaves much to the imagination the way the stories are told
    nethwen wrote: »
    I think they were more likely to be multi-lingual.

Hi netty... Long time :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ber wrote: »
    Jesus is a popular name in Spain and Hispanic countries (as is Maria)

Maybe its something to do with the catholic/protestant schism?

Although Joshua is a variant of Jesus and that's a very popular name in English speaking countries.

Jesus is very popular name in Muslim faith also. I read about it a few days ago but cant remember what they call him!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jesus is very popular name in Muslim faith also. I read about it a few days ago but cant remember what they call him!

Isa.

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ber wrote: »
    Isa.

Thats it! Now I remember. Although it was with an 'E' (ESA)