Options

Spelling, punctuation and grammar pedants: What annoys you the most?

Comments

• Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    KJ44 wrote: »
    Lowering ourselves, right? :D

Only for the very few.
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wonder and Wander, t.v. news readers are the worst offenders.>:(
  • Options
    ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    I mentioned this one on a thread a few days ago.

People who use 'women' (plural) when it should be 'woman' (singular).
  • Options
    Chris FrostChris Frost Posts: 11,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spelling, punctuation and grammar pedants: What annoys you the most?

The most? Hmmm... I think being labelled as a pedant simply for having standards.
  • Options
    KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    If Itouchtypwthis is the rsult yet IO make an effort to correct thingsand it really pees me off that people withou tmy condtiton can't ebe bothered.
  • Options
    oulandyoulandy Posts: 18,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jrmswfc wrote: »
    This, every time and it seems to be getting more and more prevalent.

It doesn't even work phonetically so I don't know why the buffoons who do it even bother.

I saw it in an article in yesterday's Evening Standard! That's a new low for the press.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/nurse-murdered-in-street-by-exlover-9900082.html?origin=internalSearch

"At first she did not acknowledge she was being followed, but witnesses said she must of (sic) been aware of it as she turned and confronted the man."
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Electra wrote: »
    People who use 'women' (plural) when it should be 'woman' (singular).

Methinks one should read between the lines here?
  • Options
    ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    KJ44 wrote: »
    Methinks one should read between the lines here?

In what way? :confused:

I'm talking about the people who write "A women has......." or whatever.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd forgotten about loose/lose. That annoys the hell out of me as well. >:(

I think it's sad in a way that these problems seem so prevalent. Then again maybe it's always been like this, but because of things like forums, texting, Facebook, email etc we see more of people's spelling on a day to day basis than we would of (;-)) in the past.

Someone who has left school without knowing the differences between there, their and they're (for example) has surely been failed by the education system!

I don't think it's just that. Some of it is because there are more people typing who are not professional or skilled typists. That's how some particular errors creep in. An example might be seeing on typed instead of one. Sloppy typing. It doesn't explain some others, though, such as those who cannot tell their huge from their Hugh. Heh.

Yes, it's amazing that people can spend eleven years in education and come out writing then instead of than. What's that about? It's even worse than getting definitely wrong.

Recently I have lost count of the amount (sic) of people who now say or write amount instead of number in the phrase number of people.
  • Options
    butterworthbutterworth Posts: 17,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My local town has a residents' facebook page and the number of people who write 'thort' rather than 'thought' has to be seen to be believed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Electra wrote: »
    In what way? :confused:

I'm talking about the people who write "A women has......." or whatever.

Really? I've never encountered that. Anyway, it must pale into insignificance versus people who refer to women as females, thus nouning an adjective. :D
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also 'everyday' when it should be 'every day'. There seems to be a current trend for being unable to use spaces where they're required.

It depends, surely?

I don't want that in my everyday life.
    I don't want that every day.
  • Options
    JeffersonJefferson Posts: 3,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have noticed whenever people complain about grammar they usually come up with something piddling like a spelling error. Rather than say, getting tenses completely up the wall as practically everyone who has ever played professional football does.

Also no one has mentioned the error when choosing "me, myself or I". Apparently educated TV presenters, get this wrong all the time.
  • Options
    mrkite77mrkite77 Posts: 5,386
    Forum Member
    Also 'everyday' when it should be 'every day'. There seems to be a current trend for being unable to use spaces where they're required.

"Everyday" and "every day" mean two different things.

My pet peeve is the use of "try and" instead of "try to". "I'm going to try and be more careful." Argh!
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    johnny_t wrote: »
    My local town has a residents' facebook page and the number of people who write 'thort' rather than 'thought' has to be seen to be believed.

or "fort" and "fink".
  • Options
    venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    It depends, surely?

I don't want that in my everyday life.
    I don't want that every day.

Sorry I didn't make myself clear.

Yes of course it depends but all I seem to see is 'everyday' and not 'every day'. For example I saw a sign outside a bar that read 'happy hour 5pm - 7pm everyday'.

It seems to have become commonplace to just use it as one word and not two, even when two words are required.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mrkite77 wrote: »
    "Everyday" and "every day" mean two different things.

My pet peeve is the use of "try and" instead of "try to". "I'm going to try and be more careful." Argh!

Yes I know they mean two different things, sorry I didn't make myself clear that I was moaning about everyday misuse of everyday in instances where it should read every day ;)
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes of course it depends but all I seem to see is 'everyday' and not 'every day'. For example I saw a sign outside a bar that read 'happy hour 5pm - 7pm everyday'.

It seems to have become commonplace to just use it as one word and not two, even when two words are required.

I haven't seen that yet, which is why I failed to catch your drift earlier. Sorry about that. Thanks for clarifying. And for putting fear in me that I'll see it some day. *sob*
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    I haven't seen that yet, which is why I failed to catch your drift earlier. Sorry about that. Thanks for clarifying. And for putting fear in me that I'll see it some day. *sob*

It drives me nuts! Once you see it, you'll see it all the time :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You did!

Everyday reminds me of a sign painted on a road near me which says Look bothways (sic) before crossing.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    Just for a bit of fun! :)

I'm a SPAG pedant, I don't mind admitting it. There are plenty of mistakes I see on this forum, Facebook and elsewhere which get my blood boiling.

But there are two particular ones that annoy me more than anything else. When I see either of them, I want to punch the nearest wall.>:(

Breath instead of breathe. >:(>:(>:(

Using a grave accent instead of an apostrophe. >:(>:(>:(

There are of course others, but these two make me the angriest! I can't explain why.

What are yours?

I repeat, this is just a bit of fun. ;-) I am sure I have made at least one spelling or grammar mistake in this very post, so please feel free to point it out! :D

The usual.

Misuse of their/there/they're.

Misuse of your/you're.

Misuse of its/it's.

It's different from, not different to.

It's compared with, not compared to.

It's should have, not should of.

Fewer and less used incorrectly. As in less money, not fewer money, as an extreme example.

Using viable when they mean feasible.

It's choices not alternatives, when you have more than two answers, or it used to be. Alternative traditionally is one or the other, i.e. two options (only).

It's 00:00 not 24:00 hours.

Text speak.

Leet speek.

People that don't know where the shift key is when typing what should be a capital letter.

Top posters.

Block posters. Use a fecking paragraph.

Using , instead of '.

Using no instead of know.

I'll (I will) not Ill, as in being ill, not well.

I'll probably think of more later.

There are so many people that murder the English language nowadays, are semi-literate, including on DS, that it's a bit embarrassing.
  • Options
    arfcdfarfcdf Posts: 80
    Forum Member
    Just for a bit of fun! :)

I'm a SPAG pedant, I don't mind admitting it. There are plenty of mistakes I see on this forum, Facebook and elsewhere which get my blood boiling.

But there are two particular ones that annoy me more than anything else. When I see either of them, I want to punch the nearest wall.>:(

Breath instead of breathe. >:(>:(>:(

Using a grave accent instead of an apostrophe. >:(>:(>:(

There are of course others, but these two make me the angriest! I can't explain why.

What are yours?

I repeat, this is just a bit of fun. ;-) I am sure I have made at least one spelling or grammar mistake in this very post, so please feel free to point it out! :D

Pedants who think childish names such as "Hugh Jboobs" are clever or witty!
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Other people's spelling and grammar mistakes don't really bother me unless the mistakes are to the extreme. The important part for me is that people's posts are easily readable.
  • Options
    0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Defiantly instead of definitely makes me wince.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    arfcdf wrote: »
    Pedants who think childish names such as "Hugh Jboobs" are clever or witty!

Apparently there is history behind that.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=75885102&postcount=346