Options

Graham Norton Show Series 16 begins 26 September 2014

Comments

• Options
    my name is joemy name is joe Posts: 4,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Harry is quietly spoken and that is just how he normally is. I thought he was really good I loved the rapport between him and Ian McKellam. I really don't understand the hate that 1D get. Regardless of what anyone thinks of them and where they came from, they are an incredibly hard working band, nice polite lads, and have won multi awards. They are the biggest band in the world right now. Yet instead of being proud people say that they shouldn't be on a chat show in the UK. Really? I just don't get it.

Oh and I am not a teenager I am 59!

I can't believe it's that difficult to understand. The sorry spectacle of watching 5 talent deficient non-personalities get ushered through a career they have no interest in having (beyond going along with the ride whilst the money comes in), is deeply unpleasant to most people. After 4 years and 4 albums of pure excrement, they still offer nothing, no singing ability, no musical ability, no charisma, nothing. And everything about them suggests they are incapable and uninterested in improvement.

That'll be why :)
  • Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,572
    Forum Member
    Nothing wrong with that. The more the merrier!

Personally, I would have omitted Wood.

For me Victoria Wood was the best guest on there. I turn off when that bunch of idiots came on.
  • Options
    RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes they were manufactured by Simon Cowell, that doesn't make them talentless. They now write a lot of their own songs as well. Their fanbase in the UK tends to be very young, that is not the case elsewhere. In Italy, for example the average age of fans is much higher. I am old enough to remember and to have been a huge Beatles fan. Strangely people were saying exactly the same about them! When the Beatles were at their most popular with young teenagers fainting at the sight of them, had DS been around I'm pretty sure the same comments would have been made about lack of talent.

I just think it quite sad that five hard working lads who are barely out of their teens get so much hatred thrown at them. There are plenty of bands that are not to my taste - but I appreciate that others like them and wouldn't dream of dissing them for the sake of it.

I think it is fair to say that a band isn't going to win Artist of the Year, Album of the Year and Band of the Year in the American Music Awards if they have no talent.

I agree with the comparison to the Beatles. One Direction has taken their crown as being the most popular group in America apparently. This hate for them is something I don't understand either.

I enjoyed listening to their new song last night.
  • Options
    RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    For me Victoria Wood was the best guest on there. I turn off when that bunch of idiots came on.

Including Ian McKellen?
  • Options
    andi84andi84 Posts: 2,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't believe it's that difficult to understand. The sorry spectacle of watching 5 talent deficient non-personalities get ushered through a career they have no interest in having (beyond going along with the ride whilst the money comes in), is deeply unpleasant to most people. After 4 years and 4 albums of pure excrement, they still offer nothing, no singing ability, no musical ability, no charisma, nothing. And everything about them suggests they are incapable and uninterested in improvement.

Well, you've just disqualified yourself from being taken seriously... I mean, are these really your best arguments? It's merely your opinion, LOADS of people disagree, and - as mentioned above - not just teenage girls, but people you enjoy good (pop) music.

And even IF what you wrote was true, why hate them? Don't you have anything better to do with your time and energy??
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    andi84 wrote: »
    Well, you've just disqualified yourself from being taken seriously... I mean, are these really your best arguments? It's merely your opinion, LOADS of people disagree, and - as mentioned above - not just teenage girls, but people you enjoy good (pop) music.

And even IF what you wrote was true, why hate them? Don't you have anything better to do with your time and energy??

It's their fault not mine, you should be having a go at them for annoying me and the rest of the adult population (bar a cupla nutters).

Besides I don't hate them 24hrs a day, only when they appear and i'm reminded of them again...It really doesn't take much of my time or energy:)
  • Options
    andi84andi84 Posts: 2,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's their fault not mine, you should be having a go at them for annoying me and the rest of the adult population (bar a cupla nutters).

Besides I don't hate them 24hrs a day, only when they appear and i'm reminded of them again...It really doesn't take much of my time or energy:)

Ok, I get it, you don't have any arguments, just personal insults. So I will stop discussing with you... Have a nice day anyway, hope you won't be reminded of One Direction today :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    andi84 wrote: »
    Ok, I get it, you don't have any arguments, just personal insults. So I will stop discussing with you... Have a nice day anyway, hope you won't be reminded of One Direction today :D

I'm off to Siberia for the day just to make sure;-)
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jamie looked like he'd overdone the Grecian 2000.:D
    A strange show of two halves, clear off the good guests and bring on 1D, I switched off then and went to sleep.
  • Options
    Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cavalli wrote: »
    Yep, I thought the same. He always seems to be in that state these days.

That is how he always speaks. He has a very slow deep speaking voice. He does not seem to fit in with the rest of the band now. He wears different clothes, has older friends and he even sits slightly apart or stands slightly apart from the rest of them. Think he will do a runner soon and then we will not have to see them anymore! Graham Norton is getting really irritating now. Just laughs inanely and sycophantically. This was the worse show of the series and it has been a poor series all round. Very disjointed, no flow. Boring guests - all of them.
  • Options
    nick202nick202 Posts: 9,919
    Forum Member
    That is how he always speaks. He has a very slow deep speaking voice. He does not seem to fit in with the rest of the band now. He wears different clothes, has older friends and he even sits slightly apart or stands slightly apart from the rest of them. Think he will do a runner soon and then we will not have to see them anymore! Graham Norton is getting really irritating now. Just laughs inanely and sycophantically. This was the worse show of the series and it has been a poor series all round. Very disjointed, no flow. Boring guests - all of them.

It was just all very misjudged. They could have easily made 2 programmes out of all the guests they had - 1D and Jamie this week, then MK, VW and IM the next week. VW did seem rather out of sorts - mainly because JO was making her a bit uncomfortable at times (I know she's quite opinionated about food issues, so I think there may have been some underlying tension there), and also maybe because she knew she was going to be booted off at some point.
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Harry is quietly spoken and that is just how he normally is. I thought he was really good I loved the rapport between him and Ian McKellam. I really don't understand the hate that 1D get. Regardless of what anyone thinks of them and where they came from, they are an incredibly hard working band, nice polite lads, and have won multi awards. They are the biggest band in the world right now. Yet instead of being proud people say that they shouldn't be on a chat show in the UK. Really? I just don't get it.

I don't hate them I just think they're irrelevant
  • Options
    SatnavvySatnavvy Posts: 5,211
    Forum Member

We must have been separated at birth! My thoughts exactly.
  • Options
    SatnavvySatnavvy Posts: 5,211
    Forum Member
    They now write a lot of their own songs as well.

I think it is fair to say that a band isn't going to win Artist of the Year, Album of the Year and Band of the Year in the American Music Awards if they have no talent.

Well they get writing credits - so did the Spice Girls - I believe I am correct in saying that they got somewhere around 0.5% of the royalties so I guess that tells its own story.

As for the AMAs, don't be so naive.
  • Options
    Jenny_SawyerJenny_Sawyer Posts: 12,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Malliday wrote: »
    Well, that was possibly the worst episode I've seen in a long time.

Here's some advice for the producers:

1. Don't give the braindead boyband who can barely string a coherent sentence together between them and have absolutely nothing of interest to say top billing.

2. Don't put the 75-year-old celebrated actor and Knight on alongside said braindead boyband who cannot offer any sort of conversation or repartee.

And 3. Don't give more airtime to the cook and the washed-up so-called comedian over the Hollywood actor whose myriad performances in a variety of roles over a long career you don't even bother asking him about.

Seriously disappointing episode. >:(

I'm sure all the 11-year-old girls who stayed up past their bedtime to watch their idols mutter a sum total of five words throughout the show will be delighted though.

Pacific Heights is a brilliant film.
  • Options
    Jenny_SawyerJenny_Sawyer Posts: 12,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1D are very lucky boys - someone else writes their songs for them, someone else plays the musical instruments on their records for them, they each only have one fifth of the lyrics of a song to learn & sing, and they make loads of money & travel the world.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BellaRosa wrote: »

Ditto, the first half was not particularly good but I could see that the combination of One Direction and MacKellen would not be good so switched off.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    valkay wrote: »
    Jamie looked like he'd overdone the Grecian 2000.:D

There was something very odd about his hair, for a short time I wonder if he was wearing a wig but can't remember noticing him losing his hair. Can't decide whether he has had some very expensive barber cutting it or just been done by his wife with a pair of kitchen scissors!
  • Options
    DandemDandem Posts: 13,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Say what you like about whether how good One Direction are, but I really do rate Liam as a singer. He should be the one who actually has a career when they inevitably split up.

Harry will be the one that goes off the rails. Louis will become some kind of TV personality. Zayn will branch off into modelling and maybe some terrible acting, and Niall will fade into obscurity. It's written in the stars.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Including Ian McKellen?

Not a fan of his.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    lundavra wrote: »
    Ditto, the first half was not particularly good but I could see that the combination of One Direction and MacKellen would not be good so switched off.

I only tuned in for VW and cannot wait to see the musical as it also include Daniel Rigby.
  • Options
    Zidane82Zidane82 Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member
    Malliday wrote: »
    God, Victoria Wood and everything she does is so boooorrrrriiinnngggg!!!!

I've never understood the hype. I don't find her amusing or witty or even particularly likeable.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    bluefb wrote: »
    Plenty of men still hate you, Jamie.

I don't know any , why should we/ they ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    FrostyJim wrote: »
    Evidently not, and the long haired one taaaalks reeeeally slooooowly

The "long haired one" :)

We all know you have your bedroom wall plastered with his pics. ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member

I tend to agree with your sentiments.