Options

Is Cilla Black the most unpleasant person in showbiz?

Comments

• Options
    nathanbrazilnathanbrazil Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member
    Cilla always comes across as fake, and having an overinflated sense of her own place in showbiz. But in reality, she was a cloak attendant with a paint stripping voice who happened to know the Beatles, and got lucky at the right time. But, none of that makes here the most unpleasant person in showbiz.

That title, I submit, belongs to John Cleese, who once said on camera to Steve Coogan as the younger comic drove away "I hope he gets cancer." Anyone who thinks that is funny needs help, IMHO. Cleese has to be the single most overrated, overpaid, unfunny and unpleasant twonk in showbiz.
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That title, I submit, belongs to John Cleese, who once said on camera to Steve Coogan as the younger comic drove away "I hope he gets cancer." Anyone who thinks that is funny needs help, IMHO. Cleese has to be the single most overrated, overpaid, unfunny and unpleasant twonk in showbiz.

I can honestly say I just cannot bear Cleese and anything he appears in - a vastly overrated man in my opinion.

And what on Earth was ever funny about Faulty Towers? :confused:

Cleese sounds like a real nasty piece of work though
  • Options
    grahamzxygrahamzxy Posts: 11,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »
    I can honestly say I just cannot bear Cleese and anything he appears in - a vastly overrated man in my opinion.

Cleese was a scriptwriter for Python & Fawlty Towers.............many millions of devoted fans worldwide, that doesn't make him funny - but it makes him very popular. He is a 'miserable git' off stage, but it does not make him the most unpleasant - that would be someone like Max Clifford et al.......
  • Options
    Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

His 3 ex wives might agree with you!
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

I love fawlty towers but that man has serious issues
  • Options
    sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,013
    Forum Member

Prunella Scales, Connie Booth.
  • Options
    Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 9,042
    Forum Member
    Cilla always comes across as fake, and having an overinflated sense of her own place in showbiz. But in reality, she was a cloak attendant with a paint stripping voice who happened to know the Beatles, and got lucky at the right time. But, none of that makes here the most unpleasant person in showbiz.

Holy hell. Prunella Scales was the best thing about Fawlty Towers by a long way. Followed by the patrons!
  • Options
    jake_moore08jake_moore08 Posts: 256
    Forum Member
    Haha, two years on and this thread is still going strong.

I have read a lot of bad things about Cilla, Ricky Tomlinson particularly dislikes her.

In his book, he recalls when he tapped Cilla on the arm to ask her to pose for a group photo for a local newspaper. She turned around and snapped: "Get your hands off me, this dress cost a lot of money", to which he replied: "You wouldn't think so the way it looks on you."
  • Options
    goonernataliegoonernatalie Posts: 4,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haha, two years on and this thread is still going strong.

I have read a lot of bad things about Cilla, Ricky Tomlinson particularly dislikes her.

In his book, he recalls when he tapped Cilla on the arm to ask her to pose for a group photo for a local newspaper. She turned around and snapped: "Get your hands off me, this dress cost a lot of money", to which he replied: "You wouldn't think so the way it looks on you."

:D:D that a good comeback
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good one Ricky T!
  • Options
    PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brilliant! :D
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've always liked Ricky, even more so now.
  • Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I want to give Ricky T a hug for that.
    Cilla mentions money an awful lot, if you watch some of her interviews.
    Much more respect for a man who (unjustly) went to prison for his principles and genuinely cares about people than someone with an over-inflated opinion of themselves and a need to remind people of their wealth at the drop of a penny.
  • Options
    evie71evie71 Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dorydaryl wrote: »
    I want to give Ricky T a hug for that.
    Cilla mentions money an awful lot, if you watch some of her interviews.
    Much more respect for a man who (unjustly) went to prison for his principles and genuinely cares about people than someone with an over-inflated opinion of themselves and a need to remind people of their wealth at the drop of a penny.

Yup. He's also given away a few million to charity.
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think if you had to pick two complete polar opposites in personality, it's Black & Tomlinson.

The comment about the dress was a classic - well done Ricky!!
  • Options
    Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've always liked Ricky, even more so now.

Me too, great comeback on cowbag Cilla.
  • Options
    HystericGlamourHystericGlamour Posts: 371
    Forum Member
    Article and interview in the Daily Mail today explaining how our Cilla is old and "falling apart". A lot of her symptoms might explain her erratic behaviour which has led to her becoming "Most despised":

1. "My hand is falling apart. I can’t shake hands. I had arthritis and I had an operation for it". = "Don't touch me you plebs"

2. Said she is now ‘totally deaf’ = So that's why she will only communicate via her PA on flights!

3. "You see on Britain’s Got Talent and X Factor they all wear ear plugs. But I could not hear myself when I wore them. So that is where the strong voice came from". = "I sound like a fog-horn".

4. Miss Black often spends time in the Caribbean – she has a home in Barbados – but she said she now goes there out of medical necessity. = "Naturally I like to live frugally, and I'd rather spend my summers in Filey, but the weather just isn't there".

5. "I don’t see why I should be a dame for just doing what I always wanted to do." = "Mind you, I am a national treasure. And what's this about Joan Collins getting one?!"

Poor Cilla, she does actually seem quite poorly now. Despite being a grande bitch, at the end of the day she is just an old woman who doesn't seem to know any better after being spoilt and mollycoddled all her life.
  • Options
    Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,209
    Forum Member
    Article and interview in the Daily Mail today explaining how our Cilla is old and "falling apart". A lot of her symptoms might explain her erratic behaviour which has led to her becoming "Most despised":

1. "My hand is falling apart. I can’t shake hands. I had arthritis and I had an operation for it". = "Don't touch me you plebs"

2. Said she is now ‘totally deaf’ = So that's why she will only communicate via her PA on flights!

3. "You see on Britain’s Got Talent and X Factor they all wear ear plugs. But I could not hear myself when I wore them. So that is where the strong voice came from". = "I sound like a fog-horn".

4. Miss Black often spends time in the Caribbean – she has a home in Barbados – but she said she now goes there out of medical necessity. = "Naturally I like to live frugally, and I'd rather spend my summers in Filey, but the weather just isn't there".

5. "I don’t see why I should be a dame for just doing what I always wanted to do." = "Mind you, I am a national treasure. And what's this about Joan Collins getting one?!"

Poor Cilla, she does actually seem quite poorly now. Despite being a grande bitch, at the end of the day she is just an old woman who doesn't seem to know any better after being spoilt and mollycoddled all her life.

The hideous old bat must be senile as well if she is deluded enough to think that she is a national treasure. :o

I am sure that there will be many members of cabin crew who will be thinking, "What goes around come around" :p
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for translating a lorra these words in the strange rare language called Cillaese.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Post deleted.
  • Options
    Dave3622Dave3622 Posts: 1,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The hideous old bat must be senile as well if she is deluded enough to think that she is a national treasure. :o

I am sure that there will be many members of cabin crew who will be thinking, "What goes around come around" :p

That made me LOL. :D
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is she a dame? 'Our Cilla' should be 'Our dame', which is 'Notre dame' in French-many would say appropriately, for her...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is she a dame? 'Our Cilla' should be 'Our dame', which is 'Notre dame' in French-many would say appropriately, for her...

Well, 'Notre Dame' = 'Our Lady' = 'Virgin Mary'....I suppose she can dream.

Can't help thinking that based on more recent interviews Cilla might have a touch of dementia. Much as I dislike the woman, I wouldn't wish that on her and hope I'm wrong. She genuinely doesn't seem a 'well' person.
  • Options
    HystericGlamourHystericGlamour Posts: 371
    Forum Member
    dorydaryl wrote: »
    Can't help thinking that based on more recent interviews Cilla might have a touch of dementia. Much as I dislike the woman, I wouldn't wish that on her and hope I'm wrong. She genuinely doesn't seem a 'well' person.

Maybe not dementia as such, but I know what you mean. Hopefully her son/manager will do the graceful thing and retire her from public appearances when the time is right.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe not dementia as such, but I know what you mean. Hopefully her son/manager will do the graceful thing and retire her from public appearances when the time is right.

Yeah. 71 isn't 'old' by today's standards but people of that age can have vast differences in health status. Lots of people are retired by that age and so deserve to be if they've had busy lives. Just because they've been in the public eye it shouldn't be any different. Sounds like she's of that mindset already and just wants to be in the sun for health reasons. Let her get on with it...
This discussion has been closed.