[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got your card!
  • Options
    dip_transferdip_transfer Posts: 2,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could someone organise demonstrations outside Clinton stores, Where everyone exchanges typical Festive Cards in protest, And maybe those Breast Feeding Mums could get in on it, By getting their Breasts out in Sympathy, The more the merrier
  • Options
    bozzimacoobozzimacoo Posts: 1,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would have bought it for my collection of offensive memorabilia
  • Options
    Wee TinkersWee Tinkers Posts: 12,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I grew up in a very rough housing estate and I don't find it awfully offensive. I don't mind people stereotyping me - it's tongue in cheek, not true discrimination which of course is something to get het up about. This isn't imo.

As far as I can see toffs and Royalty are fair game for humour so why the outcry about this. Anyone I know in a housing estate would see the humour in it (well, attempt at humour because, that all said, it's not really that funny. But then I think humourous Christmas cards are a bit naff anyway.).

Lots of jokes and humour are based on lazy or inaccurate stereotypes. I see it as a sort poetic licence so it doesn't offend me in the least.

If you find it offensive I advise you to Stay. Away. From. Family Guy. :o:D
  • Options
    Cissy FairfaxCissy Fairfax Posts: 11,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I grew up in a very rough housing estate and I don't find it awfully offensive. I don't mind people stereotyping me - it's tongue in cheek, not true discrimination which of course is something to get het up about. This isn't imo.

As far as I can see toffs and Royalty are fair game for humour so why the outcry about this. Anyone I know in a housing estate would see the humour in it (well, attempt at humour because, that all said, it's not really that funny. But then I think humourous Christmas cards are a bit naff anyway.).

Lots of jokes and humour are based on lazy or inaccurate stereotypes. I see it as a sort poetic licence so it doesn't offend me in the least.

Indeed.
  • Options
    Cissy FairfaxCissy Fairfax Posts: 11,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Indeed. Spot on.
  • Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cultureman wrote: »
    I'm shocked.

I would have expected better from Bill and Hillary.

Now THAT's funny :D.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am surprised it has taken so long for some people to become offended , that joke has been around since I was at school . Humour to me is humour and it is usually about someone , my grandparents lived on a council estate so did my Mum for a while, the joke does not offend me as I see it for what it is a joke. I wonder if the same people who called this vile called for Little Britain to be banned when it was on.

Maybe we should just ban all humour as it is always at the expense of someone.
  • Options
    Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The demonisation of Council/Social housing has been going on for years, baby out with the bath water.
    Maybe if more of those who did grow up in Council housing 'stood up' for it a little more, when it and it's residents get a slagging.

It has been going on for years, I don't quite see how that makes it okay however.

I find it very unpalatable in the work place where people make such stereotypical remarks about people who live in social housing. It's pretty disgusting really.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skp20040 wrote: »
    I am surprised it has taken so long for some people to become offended , that joke has been around since I was at school .

I think people have long been offended about such attitude, maybe you should have realised.

Do you honestly think this is the first time anyone has ever questioned such attitudes in our society?!

Racist and homophobic jokes promoting prejudice have been around for a long time too.
  • Options
    Mark39LondonMark39London Posts: 3,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not offended here, although as cards go, I think it's pretty crap.

There is plenty of inverse snobbery in threads on here and it's quite often those who are the quickest to condemn snobbery.
  • Options
    *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tellystar wrote: »
    Initially I thought it was about the card the ex President sent!
    Me too.:blush:
    Having lived on plenty of council estates myself, I also found it quite funny :)

When I read it, I assumed it would be a card aimed at people who live there, who like to take the mickey out of themselves. Generally, I find that most jokes made about a particular section of society, or geographical area, come from those people, who know full well what the stereotypes are, and play on them.

Granted, it can get dangerous when other people join in, and it would be snobby for someone that's not from that background to send to another person not of that background, but I'll reserve judgement about the author's intentions until proven dubious.
  • Options
    ICUDOICUDO Posts: 28
    Forum Member

Just how rough was it exactly? Awfully rough?^_^
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jol44 wrote: »
    I think people have long been offended about such attitude, maybe you should have realised.

Do you honestly think this is the first time anyone has ever questioned such attitudes in our society?!

Racist and homophobic jokes promoting prejudice have been around for a long time too.

Did you watch Little Britain and did that offend you, I tend to find I can see the difference between a joke and genuine offense.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is plenty of inverse snobbery in threads on here and it's quite often those who are the quickest to condemn snobbery.

In other words, you think it's wrong but can't bring yourself to say it, so try and defend it with some ham fisted he said she said nonsense so that makes it okay.
  • Options
    Mark39LondonMark39London Posts: 3,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In other words, you think it's wrong but can't bring yourself to say it, so try and defend it with some ham fisted he said she said nonsense so that makes it okay.

No, I just think it's a crap card (as I said)

and

No, what's good for the goose etc etc.

But hey, feel free to re-interpret it to suit your argument.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must say, having grown up on a council estate myself, I used to get tired of snide remarks making degrading generalisations about people from council estates.

Heard it at school, in the work place, in the street etc etc...

A very poor and pathetic trait of our society.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ICUDO wrote: »
    Just how rough was it exactly? Awfully rough?^_^

:D Ha ha. I have pretensions and middle class aspirations now I've left that hovel. ^_^

We moved around the time Johnny "Mad Dog" Adair was getting released from prison and there was talk he had shown an interest in moving to our estate. Yeah, pretty rough. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Grouty wrote: »
    Confused me, thought it was about Bill :D

I must admit, I thought this too at first.:D

Why on earth is Bill Cllinton sending a Christmas card about British council estates, I thought....:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    Pfft, mildly amusing only read the OP though.

Can't say I'm outraged, grew up in social housing, did for years.
    Then again as someone who did, I can see it as a joke, others might take it more seriously as a reflection if Council housing.
    The demonisation of Council/Social housing has been going on for years, baby out with the bath water.
    Maybe if more of those who did grow up in Council housing 'stood up' for it a little more, .

Don't you think we ALL get a bad enough reputation for being chavvy and are ALWAYS the very first to be blamed when people from nice estates get their cars nicked or house burgled and it's ALWAYS people' from that dreadful council estate' that're on benefits or unemployed that're ALWAYS the first to be blamed when protest marches turn into riots

The middle classes're less likely to be suspected because of how much they earm, their job tiles and where they live and more likely to get light sentences or get away with things because they can afford solicitors.

I'm just as likely to suspect a nice, weel turned out, smartly dressed, pillar of the community and bank manager of being corrupt and an abusive husband than some bloke cald in jeans and t-shirt standing outside the local offy with a can of Carlsberg Special Brew or Kronenbourg 1664 in their hand.

^^^^
    Of course, it's only the council estate low paid, unemployed peole that do all that as the 'respectable' middle classes're above all that aren't they and just think of how Mister and Misses Robinson from that nice area';; be able to show their faces at the golf club, dinner parties and drinks parties if their son gets expelled from private school or is involved in car theft and mugging or hangs around with the young hooligans from the council estate.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People can not like something you know without being 'outraged'.

I notice how the term 'outraged'etc is often used as a tool to denounce someones valid disliking of something.

People can just dislike things and find them unacceptable.
  • Options
    mountymounty Posts: 19,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hilary sent a card with her chuff hanging out

anything to get elected!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I must say, having grown up on a council estate myself, I used to get tired of snide remarks making degrading generalisations about people from council estates.

Heard it at school, in the work place, in the street etc etc...

A very poor and pathetic trait of our society.

I get it too but never in a malicious way. It's always been good natured ribbing - that I've been in on - because of the reputation of where I lived.

For instance, in work recently the lock to the drug cabinet broke and we couldn't get in to it. The other nurse joked that I should use my [estate] breaking and entering skills to make short work of it. I took it in the good humour it was intended.

Maybe if I'd been treated like shit because of where I lived I might feel differently. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mounty wrote: »
    Hilary sent a card with her chuff hanging out

anything to get elected!

She's got to that age... Don't think that can be helped.