Options

Clintons faces backlash over 'shameful' Christmas card

Comments

• Options
    MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    She's got to that age... Don't think that can be helped.

I dont think her card would get me elected:D
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    I also thought this was going to be about Bill.....
  • Options
    Wee TinkersWee Tinkers Posts: 12,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    motsy wrote: »
    Don't you think we ALL get a bad enough reputation for being chavvy and are ALWAYS the very first to be blamed when people from nice estates get their cars nicked or house burgled and it's ALWAYS people' from that dreadful council estate' that're on benefits or unemployed that're ALWAYS the first to be blamed when protest marches turn into riots

The middle classes're less likely to be suspected because of how much they earm, their job tiles and where they live and more likely to get light sentences or get away with things because they can afford solicitors.

I'm just as likely to suspect a nice, weel turned out, smartly dressed, pillar of the community and bank manager of being corrupt and an abusive husband than some bloke cald in jeans and t-shirt standing outside the local offy with a can of Carlsberg Special Brew or Kronenbourg 1664.
    Stella in their hand

I quite like the thought of a middle-aged bank manager doing donuts in the leisure centre carpark in a stolen Corsa.
  • Options
    The FBIThe FBI Posts: 2,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's amusing.
  • Options
    Cissy FairfaxCissy Fairfax Posts: 11,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jol44 wrote: »
    I must say, having grown up on a council estate myself, I used to get tired of snide remarks making degrading generalisations about people from council estates.

Heard it at school, in the work place, in the street etc etc...

A very poor and pathetic trait of our society.
    But some of the people making those snide remarks, will invariably be as thick as pig shit when you press them further. Just derive you pleasure from that, let them know if need be.

It's much preferable than getting offended by it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MAW wrote: »
    I dont think her card would get me elected:D

:D Never fear. If I can just jimmy the lock on this drug cabinet I might have something to help with that. :cool:

Edit: :blush: To clarify, I meant medicinal help, you know, not sexual. It's just that reads really creepy. I'm not that person on the internet. Just to be clear. :blush::D
  • Options
    BadLadAshBadLadAsh Posts: 28,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is offensive but I find it funny :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    Wasn't there a thread on here about some woman taking her kids out of a school or not sending her kids to one because there were too many kids from a council estate there
  • Options
    FrankieFixerFrankieFixer Posts: 11,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why are these social justice warriors always trying to censor things they don't like? Have they mentioned food banks or fracking yet?
  • Options
    CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trying to understand why Bill and Hilary Clinton would want to withdraw that hilarious card:D
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,999
    Forum Member
    I get it too but never in a malicious way. It's always been good natured ribbing - that I've been in on - because of the reputation of where I lived.

For instance, in work recently the lock to the drug cabinet broke and we couldn't get in to it. The other nurse joked that I should use my [estate] breaking and entering skills to make short work of it. I took it in the good humour it was intended.

Maybe if I'd been treated like shit because of where I lived I might feel differently. :)

I still get it from people who work for me and a few mates and I haven't lived on the estate I grew up on in years. I suppose it is what and how it's said. If someone walked up to me and called me derogatory names then I would be offended. When my ops manager makes a point of telling new starters to keep their phone on them when I'm about because I can't be trusted I take it as the joke it was intended.
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it hilarious. :D:D

Not so much the card itself, more the fact it's yet another example of silly folk getting outraged over errrrm....more 'outrage'. :D:D

Here is the full list;
    1. He Has a serial record for breaking and entering!
    2. He uses various wild animals to pull his sleigh
    3. He only works once a year
    4. He’s never actually been seen doing any work in his whole life
    5. He drinks alcohol during working hours
    6.He barely leaves his home for fear of being recognised
    7. He wears the same, out-of-fashion clothes everyday and never washes them
    8. He uses loads of different names and aliases purely for his own gain!
    9. He gets letters from lot of people, all demanding that he owes them things!
    10. He can get hold of all the latest designer gear but never pays a penny for it!
  • Options
    TUTV ViewerTUTV Viewer Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member
    Good, it just goes to show that classism is alive and well in UK 2014.

As the saying goes.

Beauty is merely skin deep, but class goes clean to the bone.

Why are you so offended by class though? There's a social class structure within social housing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    I thought it hilarious. :D:D

Not so much the card itself, more the fact it's yet another example of silly folk getting outraged over errrrm....more 'outrage'. :D:D

Here is the full list;

No one has given a thought to Santa. How presumptious that he doesn't wash his clothes! >:( So f*cking hurtful.

I particularly like 2, 5, 9 and 10.

I miss buying knock off gear from out the back of a taxi.
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No one has given a thought to Santa. How presumptious that he doesn't wash his clothes! >:( So f*cking hurtful.

I particularly like 2, 5, 9 and 10.

I miss buying knock off gear from out the back of a taxi.
    I thought all the points valid and very light hearted actually. Just surprised they hadn't got 'serial Paedophile' on the list. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I still get it from people who work for me and a few mates and I haven't lived on the estate I grew up on in years. I suppose it is what and how it's said. If someone walked up to me and called me derogatory names then I would be offended. When my ops manager makes a point of telling new starters to keep their phone on them when I'm about because I can't be trusted I take it as the joke it was intended.

"What and how it's said" - exactly. And in this case it's on a novelty card so I'm pretty sure it's not designed to discriminate, insult or oppress anyone.

Blond jokes. Have they been done away with?
  • Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    It has been going on for years, I don't quite see how that makes it okay however.

I find it very unpalatable in the work place where people make such stereotypical remarks about people who live in social housing. It's pretty disgusting really.

That card may have been designed by somebody in social housing. Now deprived of a bit of income because of people like yourself and the Twatterati bleating about it and calling for Clinton's to go bankrupt next week etc
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,999
    Forum Member
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    I thought all the points valid and very light hearted actually. Just surprised they hadn't got 'serial Paedophile' on the list. :D

People would have burned in rage if they had done that. But it's a valid point. I know that when I was a child, if on any other day of the year if a man had walked his dirty boots all over my mums carpets, drank her alcohol, fed his pets, come into my bedroom whilst I slept and delivered presents if Id been a good girl there would have been hell up. But a supposedly jolly bearded man is perfectly fine to do that :p

I too think it's light hearted, #10 did make me laugh but only because I remember getting countless people coming around selling the latest high value item for low prices.
  • Options
    The FBIThe FBI Posts: 2,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did the op complain to ofcom about shameless?
  • Options
    attitude99attitude99 Posts: 14,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I found it funny in an inoffensive way, I don't live on a council estate though but my sister does & she'd laugh at how true the reasons are to be fair.

Why are people taking this to heart? It's not as if Clintons have used someone's name in the card or they're referring to a particular area in the country.

It's just a bit of banter that most would find hilarious, others are just sensitive & take way too many things to heart.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    idlewilde wrote: »
    That card may have been designed by somebody in social housing. Now deprived of a bit of income because of people like yourself and the Twatterati bleating about it and calling for Clinton's to go bankrupt next week etc

Good point except people in housing estates get proper jobs. :p Would cartoonist not be on a par with tobogganist (Billy Connelly bit)?

Edit: Found it. Love his stuff on class. "It's the effing middle class that effs it all up". Tobogganist bit is at the end, about 14m 30.

http://vimeo.com/55026759
  • Options
    Forum Member
    This is about to be discussed on LBC Radio, for anyone interested.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I have lived in social housing all my life, still do, on a council estate.

I don't find it offensive, as I am not anything like the list, although people like that do exist.
  • Options
    Steve_CardanasSteve_Cardanas Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I grew up in a very rough housing estate and I don't find it awfully offensive. I don't mind people stereotyping me - it's tongue in cheek, not true discrimination which of course is something to get het up about. This isn't imo.

As far as I can see toffs and Royalty are fair game for humour so why the outcry about this. Anyone I know in a housing estate would see the humour in it (well, attempt at humour because, that all said, it's not really that funny. But then I think humourous Christmas cards are a bit naff anyway.).

Lots of jokes and humour are based on lazy or inaccurate stereotypes. I see it as a sort poetic licence so it doesn't offend me in the least.

If you find it offensive I advise you to Stay. Away. From. Family Guy. :o:D

I grew up and still live and always will live in social housing and i did not find it offensive.

they should also stay away from south park and american dad and the simpsons even
  • Options
    scottie2121scottie2121 Posts: 11,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's ok then. There's bigger things happening in the world. I might see if my local Clintons have got a few I can buy on the cheap.

I'm sure you have friends who'll like a card like that.