Options

Decoration Envy?

Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
Forum Member
So, happened to wander out of the house yesterday afternoon, only to find that the neighbours have gone and decorated the outside of their house so that it looks like something out of an xmas Coke advert.

Funny thing is, for a few seconds I did find myself thinking "Oh crap! Now I'm gonna have to spend a heap of cash to do something similar".
Fortunately, the feeling subsided quickly.

I must admit, though, I do still feel kinda' like I'm now going to be "that house". You know, the one that looks like the grinch lives there because there aren't any decorations up.

As a rule, we don't put up our xmas decorations until the week before xmas (12 days of xmas and all that). When we do put them up we put electric "candles" and LED "snowflakes" in the windows so it looks quite festive but I can't help thinking that, in the mean-time, people are going to be walking past and thinking "Wow! that guy's really made an effort, not like the miserable gits next door".

Don't really mean to moan about it but it's kinda strange how we do get suckered into worrying about this stuff and how, once one person does it, there's a sort of "peer pressure" to do something similar yourself.

Comments

• Options
    SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I become a Scrooge when I see Xmas decorations. All I can think is 'what a complete waste of time and effort,' and the compulsion to compete doesn't enter my mind for a split second.
  • Options
    TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr immediate neighbours go full out at Xmas and Halloween so there's no chance of even trying to compete unless I take out a second mortgage! I bought some icicle lights at the weekend and that will be the extent of my decorations. They're blue too!
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    there are some advantages to social pariahism.
  • Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    Jeez, who wants to drape their house in all that shite anyway? You only see it on council housing round here.
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    idlewilde wrote: »
    Jeez, who wants to drape their house in all that shite anyway? You only see it on council housing round here.
    Hope you got that Clintons card.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think some go too far with their Christmas decorations. I don't know if it's because they love the attention or what, but it must be irritating seeing the outside of one or two houses in your street lit up like a Christmas tree.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    I think some go too far with their Christmas decorations. I don't know if it's because they love the attention or what, but it must be irritating seeing the outside of one or two houses in your street lit up like a Christmas tree.

i used to live next door to an old lady who had the works up every year, drove me mental because she never switched them off at night so i didn`t need the lights on to see and half the stuff was musical.
  • Options
    mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's quite easy to compete. You just put up a few understated but classy trimmings. Sometimes less is more! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the flip side, I was the first in my street to put ours up and for a few minutes worried about what people must think of me then I thought sod it, it's my house I will do what makes me and my family happy.

I think it's a load of bollox that people do it to ' attention seek ' - I had a shitty childhood, my mum never put a tree up and bloody hated xmas and made it miserable for me every year, I'm determined that my kids will never ever feel that way and also making up for lost time for me.

I don't get the big deal why people feel the need to comment on when peoples tree goes up or how many decorations they have, everyone gets happiness different ways.
  • Options
    BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't envy their leccy bill. :-D

I put a few decorations in the window, but most of ours go up inside for us to see. I quite enjoy seeing lots of lights on display, it's not something I'm interested in doing myself though. So appreciation yes, envy no.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i used to live next door to an old lady who had the works up every year, drove me mental because she never switched them off at night so i didn`t need the lights on to see and half the stuff was musical.

That could be classed as an annoyance by the police, especially if it was going on when people were in bed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,246
    Forum Member
    I haven't seen many people with decorations outside their houses this year which is a shame :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    That could be classed as an annoyance by the police, especially if it was going on when people were in bed.

ahhh i couldn`t have complained, she was ancient and clearly got some pleasure from it but the neighbours the other side did snip the wires once or twice.
  • Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Less is more. Always has been, always will be.
  • Options
    MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    ahhh i couldn`t have complained, she was ancient and clearly got some pleasure from it but the neighbours the other side did snip the wires once or twice.

Besides that, it really would be like Scrooge to complain:D and you're not that kind of girl. Massive OTT decorations are not for us either, though OH insists on those 'icicle' lights outside. I'd be happy to just put a tree in the porch where it can be seen a bit. 2 doors down he's got santa's sleigh, reindeer, elves, etc, galloping across the lawn. At least I can find my house in the dark,
  • Options
    PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it depends on the decorations. Some people go soooo OTT it becomes tacky.

We have a few bits outside. We have a white light tree, a white light reindeer which moves its head an a white snowflake above the front door.
  • Options
    MrQuikeMrQuike Posts: 18,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rashin' fashin Si_ Crewe, I thought this was going to be a thread about medals..
  • Options
    biggle2000biggle2000 Posts: 3,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mrstim wrote: »
    On the flip side, I was the first in my street to put ours up and for a few minutes worried about what people must think of me then I thought sod it, it's my house I will do what makes me and my family happy.

I think it's a load of bollox that people do it to ' attention seek ' - I had a shitty childhood, my mum never put a tree up and bloody hated xmas and made it miserable for me every year, I'm determined that my kids will never ever feel that way and also making up for lost time for me.

I don't get the big deal why people feel the need to comment on when peoples tree goes up or how many decorations they have, everyone gets happiness different ways.

Well said. I decorate my house so much it could probably be seen from space!!!

Its my house and my money and therefore my choice. If people don't like it then don't look
  • Options
    EastEast Posts: 926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No envy. I just appreciate what others have done.
  • Options
    MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    biggle2000 wrote: »
    Well said. I decorate my house so much it could probably be seen from space!!!

Its my house and my money and therefore my choice. If people don't like it then don't look
    This. I appreciate a good laugh, of the best kind, when I see a really OTT house. It's Christmas, get your rocks off however you like.
    East wrote: »
    No envy. I just appreciate what others have done.

Exactly.
  • Options
    DiabolusDiabolus Posts: 1,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A bit of minimal decoration is one thing but you see so many houses that go overboard and end up looking like someone's covered the house in jam and rolled it though poundland picking up each and every thing that it hits.

Yeah yeah I'm a Bah humbug I know!
  • Options
    kiviraatkiviraat Posts: 4,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not personally, but in my old street, my next door neighbour and the neighbours across from me were seriously competitive with each other. They'd get the tree up within hours of each other but then you'd notice something new in each window or garden every day. One bought a giant snowman, so the other bought a giant mechanical Santa. One put light up reindeer and sleigh in the garden, the other got a full size nativity set and put it on display in their open garage. I couldn't help laughing when I caught them spying on each other in their gardens and talking loudly about their purchase :D
    Diabolus wrote: »
    A bit of minimal decoration is one thing but you see so many houses that go overboard and end up looking like someone's covered the house in jam and rolled it though poundland picking up each and every thing that it hits.

Yeah yeah I'm a Bah humbug I know!

I need to remember that one! Brilliant!
  • Options
    Mumof3Mumof3 Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't really subscribe to spending a lot to impress strangers. I'd be tempted to go the opposite way, and put a single, teeny tiny little tree on your windowsill. Less can be more.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    FWIW, I don't necessarily mean to say that I don't approve of fancy decorations.
    I do actually think they look quite impressive and I appreciate the effort it takes to put them up.

Kinda hard to explain but I just thought it was a bit odd the way my first reaction was to think I ought to try to do something similar and that I feel a teensy bit ashamed to be "the house next to the house with the fancy decorations". :blush:
  • Options
    Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find it highly amusing that the OP is Si Crewe - I thought it was gonna be The Wizard or someone lol :D Seriously Si, they are just Christmas decorations, you really don't have to do your house up to look like Santa's grotto just coz the neighbours have! :D