• Options
    Enfant TerribleEnfant Terrible Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tony says in relation to the tapes -

"You're a rapist
    A murderer
    A pedophile"

Suggests he believes the kids were killed.

Hmm. Possibly. I thought it only referred to Molly though. You can't kill 53 children and not be found out - that's utterly insane. The last time someone got away with that was in the 14th century. (And he was hanged in the end)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 340
    Forum Member
    Mustard2 wrote: »
    Thanks for the youtube link.
    What does anybody think about the guy (in black shirt) who gets back of-the-head close-up treatment at 18.34. it's seems to be more than an 'accidental' shot as he turns to his lady twice. Maybe not that significant but I've often wondered.
    He (and lady) don't seem to be around when the camera starts to pan out after the goal and Ollie's disappearance.

As has often been remarked there's a load of odd things. I find it odd that Tony doesn't ask the people outside the bar at the tables close to where he picks up Ollie's bag as to whether they've seen him. It's obvious that's the direction Ollie went.

Roll on tonight!!

I think the people in the bar are just extras to be honest.

I agree that it seems likely he would have asked the people sat outside if a boy went by, but I think the idea is that he's in a blind panic.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    openarms wrote: »
    Vincent Bourg's parents names can be seen on his police file, the one that Tony is given by Malik the journalist. His mother is Mary Scotts born in Dartford. His father is Pierre Bourg, presumably from France.

Just throwing in a 'what if ' here (don'ven know if I think it may be the case). What if Bourg was Molly and he was removed from the home perhaps because of his mother's mental state - it could have been her dressing him as a girl. If he was subsequently adopted, maybe in Kent beforecmovingvto France, would his adoptive parents' names not be the ones shown on records?

Eta: it would also be interesting to find out if the white-haited policeman who let Garret into Tony's cell wasvinvolved in searching the pool area - he may have beneath white-haited man aesthe pool from earlier and would know where to look in case he had left any evidence from the abduction.

My head might explode before the conclusion next week!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hmm. Possibly. I thought it only referred to Molly though. You can't kill 53 children and not be found out - that's utterly insane. The last time someone got away with that was in the 14th century. (And he was hanged in the end)

At least partly, it depends on whether you think that Garret was acting alone in his abuse or as part of a ring where ther's probably a greater sense of protection.

Personally, I would say it's as unlikely that he would not be discovered for abusing 53 kids, as it is that he would not be discovered for abusing and killing 53 kids. If they are dead then there's less chance of one identifying him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Elle_Bee wrote: »
    Just throwing in a 'what if ' here (don'ven know if I think it may be the case). What if Bourg was Molly and he was removed from the home perhaps because of his mother's mental state - it could have been her dressing him as a girl. If he was subsequently adopted, maybe in Kent beforecmovingvto France, would his adoptive parents' names not be the ones shown on records?

That would be quite a twist indeed :o

Personally, I think Molly was dealt with and doesn't really have relevance outside of Garret's story-line.
  • Options
    openarmsopenarms Posts: 1,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Mark's son James is revealed as the original target what a humdinger of an ending that would be. No sunshine, no roses, no violin music, Emily is left with the realisation that her beloved Ollie is gone and the reason is unlovingly staring her in the face every day!

I would like Ollie to be found alive but very much doubt how the writers could feasibly pull that one out of the hat at this stage.

Just two episodes to go. Full marks to the writers for keeping us guessing. I even suspected Laurence at the point she took the call that Garrett's claim on his estate had passed and his house in Audresselles could be handed over to the authorities. I thought, it's a nice rebuild Laurence in a beautiful location but surely you wouldn't engineer a child abduction to get it!

Think the director and cinematographer have done a great job with the look of the series. You could feel the heat in the air in the lingering still shots of the empty pool area.
  • Options
    Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, Seig. I find it shocking that some people will only give evidence in exchange for money.

Yes that's a point. How do they target their victims? Seig was seen observing Tony and Ollie at the pool, he could have informed someone I suppose, but I think that's unlikely.

What happened to the other 53 - were they ever found? I hope they're not buried on Garrett's plot of land :o

If Ollie was being targeted it goes back earlier than the Pool. The Garage/Hotel. Who gave Ollie the map? Who told him there was a pool? The parents didn't know.

53 will be abuse victims. Going back to a live case. It is known that southern Portugal is a haven for European paedophiles as they are unmonitored in this area. I'm sure in depth investigation will reveal all sorts but it may have nothing to do with Maddie disappearance. It did in all likelihood have very much to do with the reactions of some in Portugal and the on line campaign to put parents in frame. I'm not claiming to know what happened to Maddie but the aftermath is full of agendas.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Think the director and cinematographer have done a great job with the look of the series. You could feel the heat in the air in the lingering still shots of the empty pool area.

Yes, I think the juxtaposition between past and present is very well done in particular.
  • Options
    Weenie_StixWeenie_Stix Posts: 139
    Forum Member
    Elle_Bee wrote: »

Eta: it would also be interesting to find out if the white-haited policeman who let Garret into Tony's cell wasvinvolved in searching the pool area - he may have beneath white-haited man aesthe pool from earlier and would know where to look in case he had left any evidence from the abduction.

My head might explode before the conclusion next week!

My head has exploded twice already, I haven't loved a mini series so much in a long time, I see now where it gives Vincent's parents names but it is also a possibility he was removed and adopted out, there was just something about him and that photo.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At least partly, it depends on whether you think that Garret was acting alone in his abuse or as part of a ring where ther's probably a greater sense of protection.

Personally, I would say it's as unlikely that he would not be discovered for abusing 53 kids, as it is that he would not be discovered for abusing and killing 53 kids. If they are dead then there's less chance of one identifying him.

No way. This is a small French community in a 21st century setting.
    With all the progress we have made with DNA and forensic research... 53 kids dead and not a soul making a fuss about it? Nah - that's beyond any kind of realistic scenario.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No way. This is a small French community in a 21st century setting. With all the progress we have made with DNA and forensic research... 53 kids dead and not a soul making a fuss about it? Nah - that's beyond any kind of realistic scenario.

I can see where you are coming from in a sense, but I think you have to consider that depsite the french community setting, modern forensics and so on, 53 kids have been abused and it was not discovered (whether killed or not).

If we are to take it that these children were not killed then it raises the issue of why none of them have identified their abuser(s)? Which is perhaps a more unlikely scenario altogether.
  • Options
    Davina's LabiaDavina's Labia Posts: 547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just to clear up what seems to be a common misconception about Garrett - he said there are 53 more tapes (of abuse) not 53 more victims. So all those tapes may concern the same victim.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    Just to clear up what seems to be a common misconception about Garrett - he said there are 53 more tapes (of abuse) not 53 more victims. So all those tapes may concern the same victim.

Was just going to say the same things. All the tapes could involve Molly (or someone else)..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see where you are coming from, but I think you have to consider that depsite the french community setting, modern forensics and so on, 53 kids have been abused and it was not discovered (whether killed or not).

It's just as unlikely that 53 kids would be abused, killed, and not discovered, as it is abused and not discovered.

In fact, the latter raises the issue of if they are not dead why have none of them idetified their abuser? Which is perhaps a more unlikely scenario altogether.

I refer you to the Jimmy Savile case to check which is the most likely scenario.
  • Options
    FrankBTFrankBT Posts: 4,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Squ1rrel5 wrote: »
    Does anyone know where I can rewatch episodes that are no longer on iplayer?
    There are loads of sites on the internet where you can watch and even download for free previous eps (unlawfully of course), and not only The Missing. If you Google the title you will discover them eventually.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I refer you to the Jimmy Savile case to check which is the most likely scenario.

Savile is something of a unique case, even for abusers, hence why it has garned so much attention - I'm not really sure I would call him a typical case.

He is evidence of someone who can go undiscovered for a period of many decades, despite operating in close-knit circles and under other peoples noses. He was a serial abuser, but not as far as we know involved in child abduction which is altogether different.

As we know, in child abduction situations there is a window of opportunity of 72 hours, after which the liklihood is that the child will not be found. Baptiste states this in the first episode when he says "Either we will find him in the next few days; or we will not find him at all."

It's important to clarify that I didn't disagree that the kids (assuming there's more than 1 on the tapes) could be alive, nor suggest that they are definately dead, rather you that argued they couldn't possibly be dead. ;-)
  • Options
    RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was he? A man with grey hair is there but other than the hair colour it doesn't look like Seig.

If it's not Sieg walking near the pool, then it's the grey haired mechanic :p

He overheard Emily asking for the nearest hotel and was friendly to Oliver. Ollie could easily have walked away with him if he recognised him at the bar.
  • Options
    RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrTheD wrote: »
    I really need the episode to be on right now! Tying myself in knots flip flopping between theories. Eariler in the week I was convinced the evidence was a sobreity coin from Alain and it was going down that route with a local paedophile ring.

However, having re-watched episode 1 this week I am the same as others : I think theres a lot more to Mark than has been revealed so far, and I can't help but think Tonys job is relevant. Problem is neither of those easily link back into the Alain/peadophile ring scenario.

An interesting comment is the one from the writers that 'episode 8 will be sympathetic to episode 1 '(or something along those lines). Suggests that there wont be a last minute curve ball and the conclusion will tie back into something that was either obvious in Episode 1 OR 'hidden in plain sight' in Episode 1.

Problem is , that doesn't rule out too much other than Bourg (introduced at the start of episode 2) and the Romanians (episode 3 I think).

Yes, I commented on that a couple of weeks ago. It does suggest to me that the answer is there somewhere in episode one, and the writers wont suddenly introduce a character we haven't seen. But the Hughes family didn't do much in town before the abduction, breakdown, garage, hotel, probably a walk and something to eat, then Tony and Ollie go off for a swim.

You would have thought the area around the pool bar and surrounding streets would have been combed carefully as soon as it got light, on the day after Ollie went missing. But Ziane is sent to search again, presumably to get him out of the way as he wasn't trusted.
    I wonder if Sieg had been sent back to search for something that had been dropped, something someone knew he had with him which he suddenly realised had been lost. I still wouldn't rule out the sobriety medal, otherwise it appears to be a rather off-beat item to introduce.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Aurora13 wrote: »
    Who gave Ollie the map?

It looks like a brochure with a map on the reverse. He could have picked it up anywhere I suppose.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You could be right, but why would Tony bother asking how many tapes there were when the one tape Tony was looking was enough to show Molly being abused and killed by her dad?

Garrett said Molly was a mistake. Did he make 53 mistakes? Maybe they were tapes of other people abusing kids. Hard to tell. I'm getting confused now. Lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You could be right, but why would Tony bother asking how many tapes there were when the one tape Tony was looking was enough to show Molly being abused and killed by her dad?

Garrett said Molly was a mistake. Did he make 53 mistakes? Maybe they were tapes of other people abusing kids. Hard to tell. I'm getting confused now. Lol

I think by virtue that Tony asks if Ollie is on these tapes implies that there's more than one child and it's not only his daughter.

I thought that scene was excellent particulary, as you say, where he says Molly was 'a mistake'. At what point does it cease to be a mistake? Excellent example of an abuser ligitmising his actions.
  • Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

for all we know Garrett may have been using the tapes to hunt paedophiles , which I would guess he got from Borge .
  • Options
    openarmsopenarms Posts: 1,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    for all we know Garrett may have been using the tapes to hunt paedophiles , which I would guess he got from Borge .

Why then goad Tony by saying he had a pretty son?
  • Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why then goad Tony by saying he had a pretty son?

that's what I thought when I first watched it , but if you watch it again Garrett's remarks can be taken in different ways , he may have been sympathising with Tony like a parent thinking of their lost child , he lost Molly but still remembers how beautiful she was .

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aurora13 wrote: »
    If Ollie was being targeted it goes back earlier than the Pool. The Garage/Hotel. Who gave Ollie the map? Who told him there was a pool? The parents didn't know.

53 will be abuse victims. Going back to a live case. It is known that southern Portugal is a haven for European paedophiles as they are unmonitored in this area. I'm sure in depth investigation will reveal all sorts but it may have nothing to do with Maddie disappearance. It did in all likelihood have very much to do with the reactions of some in Portugal and the on line campaign to put parents in frame. I'm not claiming to know what happened to Maddie but the aftermath is full of agendas.

Yes, I'm beginning to think that's the case.

There were brochures lying on the reception desk in the hotel- you see them as Ollie rings the bell. I suppose they picked one up. The pool is listed in the brochure.

Who noticed they'd broken down and drove them to the garage? Was it one of the mechanics?