Options

The Missing

Comments

• Options
    evidentially_obevidentially_ob Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    TRIPS wrote: »
    How do you know Ollie was in the house within 45 min.
    The impression we are led to believe is he was enticed away then grabbed ,he drops his bag in the struggle and off he goes but we know that's not true.
    What i find confusing is the video of Ollie showing the man putting his hand over his mouth and dragging him away from the window. we know it's being filmed from inside the bar not long after Ollie had been enticed away as we see the football on TV. .

No he was not filmed from the bar. He was filmed inside the house where he was being held, from a house across the road where they were having a football party. He was caught on the video, when the owner was clearing up and accidentally put the video camera on the morning after.
  • Options
    TRIPSTRIPS Posts: 3,714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aurora13 wrote: »
    BIB1 - is it dodgy mechanics looking to earn extra monies from foreigners? Could be as simple as that.

BIB2 - Err...? The sequence of Ollie at the window is filmed by the folks in the house opposite the house in which he was held. That is why it is known that he was in that house quickly after he went missing.

AHH how did i miss that Ta, think i wasn't paying enough attention and must have thought it was the bar. Yes so definitely straight back to the house as the football is on tv.
  • Options
    RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With only one episode left, I'm going for the more obvious. I just don't think there's time for them to take us off on another completely different tangent. The sobriety coin/medal was a big reveal for most viewers, we just happen to have a super sleuth who spotted the connection almost immediately after last week's episode. :)
    So, I think Alain was definitely involved. For me that just leaves motive. Is he part of a paedophile group that included Garrett and his brother, the Mayor ?
    Is Sylvie an innocent party ? Sylvie has been portrayed as the most kindly and sympathetic character throughout, it would be a major surprise if she's involved. But maybe that's the whole idea.
    The Mayor appears to have done everything in his power to obstruct the investigation, is he just another grubby politician looking after his own interests, or is it something more sinister ?
    I'm still still struggling to see why the Romanian gang would be involved. They could smuggle any number of poor kids from Eastern Europe without the need to be looking around for an English boy to grab, with his dad just a few feet away. Unless they were just doing a contract job for someone ?
    But whatever the answer is, they haven't got long to tie everything up. A lot of the last episode will presumably be devoted to showing us what actually was happening on that day in 2006. It has to match up with the details we know, and reveal what was going on that we never saw. I'm looking foward to it. :)
  • Options
    CubicEyesCubicEyes Posts: 455
    Forum Member
    Another quick thought: unless appearances are deceptive (and maybe the odd near-kiss scene between Mark and Laurence does suggest that they are), it seems to me that the beautiful and vulnerable-looking Emily is very much the irresistible queen bee into whose orbit the men around her are helplessly drawn.... Tony, Greg, Mark......

I'm not suggesting for a moment that she's a demonic ringleader of some nefarious scheme to have her own child kidnapped, but her impact on the menfolk is undeniable.

So perhaps she acts as a kind of unintentional catalyst for all sorts of things, including Tony slipping over the threshold from violence into murder. Though to be sure, the provocation was extreme when Ian commented on how beautiful Olly was - to me it suggested a bit of a death wish on Ian Garrett's part.

By the way, can I get a bit pedantic here and ask if people can do their best to spell the (sometimes difficult) names right? I'm not trying to be a smartass or find fault with other posters, I promise; it's just so that everyone can follow the discussion more easily. Here are a few examples which get misspelt quite a lot:

The French female detective is LAURENCE RELAUD, not Lauren.
    The North African bent French copper, now dead, is KHALID ZIANE, not Zain or Zaine.
    The sleazy British journalist is MALIK SURI, not Malak or other variants.
    The gorgeous limping French detective hero is JULIEN BAPTISTE, not various other spellings of it.
    The Parisian gang of Moroccans is called the CAID DE CITE.
  • Options
    juliancarswelljuliancarswell Posts: 8,896
    Forum Member
    I've been trying to think what I have seen Ziane in and realised it was La Haine.
    Great film if you get the chance.
    (Sorry if its been posted already)
  • Options
    Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With only one episode left, I'm going for the more obvious. I just don't think there's time for them to take us off on another completely different tangent. The sobriety coin/medal was a big reveal for most viewers, we just happen to have a super sleuth who spotted the connection almost immediately after last week's episode. :)
    So, I think Alain was definitely involved. For me that just leaves motive. Is he part of a paedophile group that included Garrett and his brother, the Mayor ?
    Is Sylvie an innocent party ? Sylvie has been portrayed as the most kindly and sympathetic character throughout, it would be a major surprise if she's involved. But maybe that's the whole idea.
    The Mayor appears to have done everything in his power to obstruct the investigation, is he just another grubby politician looking after his own interests, or is it something more sinister ?
    I'm still still struggling to see why the Romanian gang would be involved. They could smuggle any number of poor kids from Eastern Europe without the need to be looking around for an English boy to grab, with his dad just a few feet away. Unless they were just doing a contract job for someone ?
    But whatever the answer is, they haven't got long to tie everything up. A lot of the last episode will presumably be devoted to showing us what actually was happening on that day in 2006. It has to match up with the details we know, and reveal what was going on that we never saw. I'm looking foward to it. :)

BIB that for me is the key question. Ollie being abducted randomly by local paedophile ring is fine but it doesn't explain why he was held by International Gang.
  • Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it is important to look at the abduction day and what we know. Also 2009 sequence but that is a separate post.

So.......

Ollie has been in Chalons Du Bois about 9 hours max when he is abducted.

What else do we know..........

Ollie was held at the house and he was there within 30/45 mins of being abducted. So the place for him to be held was already in place.

Caid de Cite (Paris gang) were involved in holding him. Given timescale they were already in Chalons Du Bois.

Caid to Cite were involved in something big according to undercover cop. Police were clearly monitoring their activities.

So.....

Something was going on down in rural area of Chalons Du Bois involving this big international gang.

Reality is................

Big international gangs aren't interested in ad-hoc abductions of kids who have turned up in a rural town in Northern France a few hours before. BUT.... they clearly are involved and the mere mention of Oliver name leads to girls getting their throats slit.

Question - Was Ollie the intended target?

I tend to think Ollie was abducted because he saw someone or something and the criminal gang took him to stop him talking , but then they had to decide what to do with him afterwards figuring they couldn't let him go because of what he knew but not wanting to kill a child , so ...

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tend to think Ollie was abducted because he saw someone or something and the criminal gang took him to stop him talking , but then they had to decide what to do with him afterwards figuring they couldn't let him go because of what he knew but not wanting to kill a child , so ...

At the bar area within seconds?
  • Options
    RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :)
    Sorry couldn't resist. think i will be getting a deck chair next to you as well.:D

Room for one more? The Boat's more appealing than the room.;-)

The boat might be heaving by next week. :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. I think another child who had been swimming regularly in the pool was the intended target. Why? Who might that be?

Why have we had Emily (mother) and Robert (grandfather) mistaking James for Ollie?

I do think there is a paedophile ring operating in Chalon Du Bois. Baptiste told Mayor in no uncertain words in episode 7 that he had covered up child abuse by Garrett. I think we are being led down path that abductions are related to paedophilia and it will turn out to be something else. I do think Monique is probably Sylvie and Alain daughter and she will fill in the blanks about their activities.

To quote my own post!

In 2009 Mark says - James involved in swimming races and shows Emily photos of him. Hotel swimming pool is deliberately shown in background.
  • Options
    TRIPSTRIPS Posts: 3,714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Don't worry. i will get up early and put a towel on the sunloungers for the 2 of us.:p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been trying to think what I have seen Ziane in and realised it was La Haine.
    Great film if you get the chance.
    (Sorry if its been posted already)

Yes it was. He co- wrote it. I agree, brilliant film.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't worry. i will get up early and put a towel on the sunloungers for the 2 of us.:p

:cool: :D
  • Options
    Loz KernowLoz Kernow Posts: 2,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To quote my own post!

In 2009 Mark says - James involved in swimming races and shows Emily photos of him. Hotel swimming pool is deliberately shown in background.

Oooh, good connection! Well spotted :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'll join you if you can promise a nice calm sea - I get sick when it's rough:p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 488
    Forum Member
    Is there a way we can watch episode 1? I want to go back and watch it to see if there are some clues.

Also.. people on here keep mentioning Tony having no jurisdiction when going to see Karl Sieg. I thought Baptiste meant that he had no jurisdiction.. as they went to the bar in Brussels (Belgium) and he is from France.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We saw Julien and Celia's daughter lying in a hospital bed in England--- recovering from drugs, but she ended up in prison.

Sylvie and Alain' s daughter would occasionally go for drinks with her uncle the Mayor. Haven't see her yet. ( unless she's Monique)

Yes, and we saw Mark's ex wife at the hospital when James broke his ankle and was asking for his mother.
  • Options
    marios mummarios mum Posts: 806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just a couple of things: I think Malik is as guilty, almost, of wrongdoing as whoever took Ollie, the coin was found not that long after Ollie went missing and could have had a huge impact on whether he was found. How he could have withheld evidence in a situation with a missing child is beyond belief. Also when Malik hacked Tony 's phone Emily said something like 'what you did to Garrett' in her message, she didn't mention killing, theoretically she could have meant something else entirely, Malik had just assumed she meant killing him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lukey89 wrote: »
    Is there a way we can watch episode 1? I want to go back and watch it to see if there are some clues.

Also.. people on here keep mentioning Tony having no jurisdiction when going to see Karl Sieg. I thought Baptiste meant that he had no jurisdiction.. as they went to the bar in Brussels (Belgium) and he is from France.

You could try this link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GB8RhGjoZ4
  • Options
    Daisy_DukeDaisy_Duke Posts: 1,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CubicEyes wrote: »
    Another quick thought: unless appearances are deceptive (and maybe the odd near-kiss scene between Mark and Laurence does suggest that they are), it seems to me that the beautiful and vulnerable-looking Emily is very much the irresistible queen bee into whose orbit the men around her are helplessly drawn.... Tony, Greg, Mark......

I'm not suggesting for a moment that she's a demonic ringleader of some nefarious scheme to have her own child kidnapped, but her impact on the menfolk is undeniable.

So perhaps she acts as a kind of unintentional catalyst for all sorts of things, including Tony slipping over the threshold from violence into murder. Though to be sure, the provocation was extreme when Ian commented on how beautiful Olly was - to me it suggested a bit of a death wish on Ian Garrett's part.

By the way, can I get a bit pedantic here and ask if people can do their best to spell the (sometimes difficult) names right? I'm not trying to be a smartass or find fault with other posters, I promise; it's just so that everyone can follow the discussion more easily. Here are a few examples which get misspelt quite a lot:

The French female detective is LAURENCE RELAUD, not Lauren.
    The North African bent French copper, now dead, is KHALID ZIANE, not Zain or Zaine.
    The sleazy British journalist is MALIK SURI, not Malak or other variants.
    The gorgeous limping French detective hero is JULIEN BAPTISTE, not various other spellings of it.
    The Parisian gang of Moroccans is called the CAID DE CITE.

Ok, ok, CubyKize :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At the bar area within seconds?

yeah .

we don't know all the events Ollie was part of for the 9 hours he was in that town , making him disappear amongst that crowd would be easier than the one in 2009 where the mother's vision was only off her son for a few seconds .
  • Options
    Squ1rrel5Squ1rrel5 Posts: 110
    Forum Member
    Sorry to be obsessed with bees, but when Ollie and tony are swimming there is a football in the pool that's black and yellow, and then Ollie puts on a black and yellow stripy top. Seems to be a theme...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marios mum wrote: »
    Just a couple of things: I think Malik is as guilty, almost, of wrongdoing as whoever took Ollie, the coin was found not that long after Ollie went missing and could have had a huge impact on whether he was found. How he could have withheld evidence in a situation with a missing child is beyond belief. Also when Malik hacked Tony 's phone Emily said something like 'what you did to Garrett' in her message, she didn't mention killing, theoretically she could have meant something else entirely, Malik had just assumed she meant killing him.

I think that Malik didn't know what the coin meant , thats maybe why he he then shopped the bent cop , he decided he was of no more use .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yeah .

we don't know all the events Ollie was part of for the 9 hours he was in that town , making him disappear amongst that crowd would be easier than the one in 2009 where the mother's vision was only off her son for a few seconds .

So how was the holding house so readily available?

The child in 2009 went off with a family member.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Squ1rrel5 wrote: »
    Sorry to be obsessed with bees, but when Ollie and tony are swimming there is a football in the pool that's black and yellow, and then Ollie puts on a black and yellow stripy top. Seems to be a theme...

it does seem to be a theme , but I can't see the point , the abduction story is about children and parents , we've heard about bee's mating practises but do they do something with their young that's relative ??