Options

CIA covered up brutal torture techniques

Comments

• Options
    BinaryDadBinaryDad Posts: 3,988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »
    One thing baffles me. What kind of useful information can you reasonably expect to get out of a guy who you've just beaten to death or allowed to die from hypothermia? Does the CIA's black budget stretch to ouija boards?

...actually, it probably does, come to think of it...

And the same goes for surgery! Look at how many people die on the operating table every year! Just what do doctors hope to achieve by allowing people to die when they're trying to save them!?

(I see your fatuous statement and raise you ten. Double or nothing?)
  • Options
    SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BinaryDad wrote: »
    According to the CIA, torture DID work. .

The CIA said that? Who'd have thunk it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Semierotic wrote: »

And an investigation that started with a mission statement of "we've got to find something wrong here" said something different. Who'd a' thunk it, eh?
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Your strawman argument is that I somehow torture is "done for kicks" and that this is ok. I didn't. I believe that coercing compliance/cooperation or revealing information by physical or psychological means is a valid tactic. And based on the experiences of the CIA and I dare say most if not all intelligence agencies in the world; they seem to think it's a valid tactic too.

The trouble is your tactic requires that the person you're doing bad things to actually has information to share. Did these acts stop any attacks from happening? I've yet to see any evidence of this. Bits and pieces were given up of course such as ideas they'd had and other tidbits but did these beatings allow the FBI to conduct a raid that stopped an attack that was imminent?

For me I think it all dates back to the almost mythical status these bad guys were given in the immediate aftermath of 9/11. Thousands of terrorists hell bent on the destruction of the west.. plotting to set off dirty bombs in every city and threaten our freedoms. How much of that was really true and how much of it was a false narrative exaggerated for effect?

Osama.. the number 1 intelligence target.. the crown jewels.. was captured in Pakistan from under the noses of their military. Not because of water boarding.. not because someone was made to stand up for a week. That's the reality.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And an investigation that started with a mission statement of "we've got to find something wrong here" said something different. Who'd a' think it, eh?

It's a miracle the report exists in the first place. I'm inclined to accept its points.
  • Options
    MrQuikeMrQuike Posts: 18,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »
    You are assuming that the information Guy supplied was wholely accurate. Plenty of evidence to suggest otherwise.

So neither of us absolutely know if it was of use or not. I'm not the one saying torture does not work in capital letters though.
    Why do you assume that using torture in a ticking timebomb (literally) situation would work?

Well, I don't believe I did. It wasn't really a technical question but since you mention it verification isn't going to be much of a problem. If you're going to get picky about the 24 hours I'll make it 48 hours or 72 hours.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And the same goes for surgery! Look at how many people die on the operating table every year! Just what do doctors hope to achieve by allowing people to die when they're trying to save them!?

(I see your fatuous statement and raise you ten. Double or nothing?)

In terms of "likelihood of death" there's a quite substantial difference between, say, removing an infected organ and smacking someone over the head repeatedly, wouldn't you say?

Although while we're here, if someone died on the operating table because the doctor was using techniques which had actually been banned, then I'd rather hope that doctor had to face some sort of justice.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The trouble is your tactic requires that the person you're doing bad things to actually has information to share. Did these acts stop any attacks from happening? I've yet to see any evidence of this. Bits and pieces were given up of course such as ideas they'd had and other tidbits but did these beatings allow the FBI to conduct a raid that stopped an attack that was imminent?

And yet, careful monitoring of suspected individuals has yielded what exactly? An attack on public transport that came out of the blue, one dead illegal immigrant who wasn't a terrorist, and a murdered soldier killed in broad day light.

I can't tell you the attacks that have been stopped by good old surveillance and friendly buddy buddy interrogation techniques. But I CAN tell you about where those techniques were used and where they failed.
    For me I think it all dates back to the almost mythical status these bad guys were given in the immediate aftermath of 9/11. Thousands of terrorists hell bent on the destruction of the west.. plotting to set off dirty bombs in every city and threaten our freedoms. How much of that was really true and how much of it was a false narrative exaggerated for effect?

The Mujaheddin WAS an army of thousands, trained by the the US ironically. But the important thing here is that you don't need a large organisation. You just need a few people who are absolutely committed to a cause. People who are "true believers" in what they do.

The WTC attacks, London bombings and more are testament to that. And those type of people are not just going to give up the good if you manage to catch them, because you lock them up in a cell and give the softly softly approach - they're not wired that way. And besides...you don;t always have the luxury of time.

The way people are acting, it's as if aggressive interrogation (because I'd hardly class a bit of roughing up an a few accidental deaths as "torture") is somehow the only tool that the CIA used. It's not. It's a tool that was used along with all the other intelligence gathering techniques that identified the person they were making stand in pressure positions was somebody who was very likely to have useful information about an attack that was likely to happen in the near future.
    Osama.. the number 1 intelligence target.. the crown jewels.. was captured in Pakistan from under the noses of their military. Not because of water boarding.. not because someone was made to stand up for a week. That's the reality.

The reality was that it was a freak occurrence that gave Bin Laden's location away. You don't always have the luxury of waiting more than a decade to nail a person because of an unexpected break. This is where the guy was forced into hiding after the fact - wouldn't you rather stop attacks before they happen?
  • Options
    Fists of FedorFists of Fedor Posts: 786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So why mention other countries and groups who use torture.

Unless you are using torture as a means of abuse rather than gaining intelligence you have to consider CIA torture on its own merits and not anyone else's.

It failed to produce useful intelligence. It cost billions. It wasted the time of personnel. It was a complete waste of effort WHICH COULD HAVE BEEN USED ELSEWHERE MORE EFFECTIVELY.

Why do you keep supporting torture?

So not only does it appear that you do not know what a strawman argument is, it appears that you don't even know who you're responding to.

Whoops.
  • Options
    D_Mcd4D_Mcd4 Posts: 10,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If it did, they'd be the first in history to make it work instead of the usual mass of incoherent false leads that people say to make it stop. :(
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrQuike wrote: »
    So neither of us absolutely know if it was of use or not. I'm not the one saying torture does not work in capital letters though.

Well, I don't believe I did. It wasn't really a technical question but since you mention it verification isn't going to be much of a problem. If you're going to get picky about the 24 hours I'll make it 48 hours or 72 hours.
    There's evidence in the guy Fawkes case that the government already knew who the conspirators were and that guy added a few people who werent involved. The report on the CIA makes it clear that torture did not work despite 400 years of 'developments'

As for ticking time bomb - you brought up the subject, its up to you to show that its works
  • Options
    PorkchopExpressPorkchopExpress Posts: 5,534
    Forum Member
    Apparently staff morale at the CIA is currently "very low".

OH DEAR, POOR THEM.
  • Options
    PorkchopExpressPorkchopExpress Posts: 5,534
    Forum Member
    Elyan wrote: »
    If someone is out to kill me I'm not too bothered about those people being tortured.

That's a thick thing to say in this context. Many of those "interrogated" weren't trying to kill anyone. What they got for their trouble was years of torture including but not restricted to:

Sleep deprivation
    Close confinement in coffin sized boxes
    Rape and sexual assaults
    Humiliation
    Severe beatings
    Being chained to cold concrete floors (at least one person froze to death)

Some people, once deemed no longer useful, were driven insane, deliberately, so that they would be unable to speak or be normal for the rest of their lives.

The absolute terror and torture these people were subjected to was evil beyond evil.

Anyone who offers any defence of it is evil scum.
  • Options
    AxtolAxtol Posts: 8,480
    Forum Member

OH DEAR, POOR THEM.

Probably still better than the morale of the civilians they tortured though.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Gotta say, the fact that "torture" may have occurred, alone, doesn't bother me a great deal.

If there was a report which showed that a large number of people who turned out to be innocent had been tortured, I'd be more upset but, without knowing the details, I can't really manage to get upset about the possibility that a bunch of scumbags got waterboarded.

Also, I gotta say that I feel kinda sorry for the USA about this.
    I'm sure there are people sat in front of their TV sets all over europe tutting over how naughty the USA is but I bet they were quite happy to receive any information the USA supplied as a result of these interrogations.

It's kinda like criticising Indian sweat-shops while happily buying all your clothes in Primark.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    If there was a report which showed that a large number of people who turned out to be innocent had been tortured, I'd be more upset

But that is the problem, and for many it is worth being upset about.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Refresh my memory as to where the intelligence that led to Bin laden's capture did come from?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd make them listen to an endless loop of 'Metal Machine Music' while covered in towels that smell of the local swimming baths and a rectal vindaloo with Chicken Tikka skewer starters until they told me exactly how soft.
    But I'm a wimp :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    But that is the problem, and for many it is worth being upset about.

Well, feel free to get upset about it.

Just don't expect everybody to share that opinion, assume it's more valid or worthy than anybody else's or expect anything to be done on the basis of it.
  • Options
    MrQuikeMrQuike Posts: 18,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deleted...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, feel free to get upset about it.

Just don't expect everybody to share that opinion, assume it's more valid or worthy than anybody else's or expect anything to be done on the basis of it.

Well obviously. It wouldn't be DS if there weren't a slew of people indifferent to government torture. ;-)
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So not only does it appear that you do not know what a strawman argument is, it appears that you don't even know who you're responding to.

Whoops.
    Strawman - a false argument used to defeat another argument. In this case mentioning that others use torture is the false argument designed to deflect from the CIA's use of torture
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well obviously. It wouldn't be DS if there weren't a slew of people indifferent to government torture. ;-)

Or a slew of people getting all bent out of shape in a bid to defend the civil rights of terrorists.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Or a slew of people getting all bent out of shape in a bid to defend the civil rights of terrorists.

Damn, if you had just said 'human rights' I'd have completed by DS Bingo Catchphrase card for the day! :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Damn, if you had just said 'human rights' I'd have completed by DS Bingo catchphrase card for the day! :(

I called bingo on mine after reading your first couple of posts in this thread.