Options

'The Lost Honour of Christopher Jefferies' -ITV drama about Joanna Yeates

Comments

• Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    kernow19 wrote: »
    My step-son was arrested for something he didn't do, but when offered the chance to have a solicitor present when he was interviewed, he declined, because when someone on telly asks for a solicitor it's a sure sign of guilt.
    As a consequence, the boys in blue had a field day when interviewing him and he was eventually found guilty of something he hadn't done.
    I'm convinced if he had a competent solicitor present when interviewed, the case wouldn't even have got to court.

True there is that drama 'trope', when suspects 'lawyer up' as they say in SVU and the like.
    Many people seem to be have that train of thought, asking for legal representation or sticking to 'no comment' is tantamount to admitting guilt.
    As someone else in the thread mentioned them, Barry George and Colin Stagg, there are probably many cases where the Police think they've got their man, and interview them on that basis, a type of confirmation bias.

Guilty or Innocent, the Police aren't your friends, looking for truth and don't you forget it, is my reasoning.
    That's down to my up bringing and what I've seen in fly on the wall docs.
    If I was in Mr Jefferies position it would have been a 'no comment' interview from the minute they arrested me.
    It's their job to prove the case, not yours to prove your innocence.

I'd have struggled not to dry their hair with a stream of expletives once I'd found out what was said to the Police had leaked to the press.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    was it ever explained why his car was turned around ? did the neighbor get it wrong ?

The car wasn't, we saw Christopher and Vincent getting the car out of the driveway.
  • Options
    AndrewPdAndrewPd Posts: 6,718
    Forum Member
    And for those in doubt, Jefferies was represented by a black solicitor; Paul Okebu, the man represented on-screen last night:

Exactly...

I really question the motives of those complaining who didn't even bother doing basic research.

Why would a drama seeking to be accurate fabricate this?

I think this kind of skepticism and in my opinion cutting close to racism is bad for peoples self esteem and progress.

:(
  • Options
    NickLangleyNickLangley Posts: 561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    True there is that drama 'trope', when suspects 'lawyer up' as they say in SVU and the like.

There used to be a police blog called "Inspector Gadget" - written by a serving officer until he was forced to close it down.

His advice was always to say nothing until you have legal representation.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    drillbit wrote: »
    yep ITV can actually make some good TV if they put their mind to it......instead of wall to wall corrie and emmerdale ^_^

ITV seems to be getting it's 'mojo' back, when it comes to drama, they've got the experience, Drama is a 'prestige' item though, doesn't put bums on seats like the cheaper stuff.
    I've ignored them for years, they're still not one of my 'go to channels' though.

I've been buying bits of old (70's) ITV drama, Public Eye, Big Breadwinner Hog, Armchair Theatre and Mitch for Christmas, that I missed the first time round.
  • Options
    suesuesuesuesuesue Posts: 16,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watching this last night reminded me of a TV drama about another true case "anybody's nightmare" with Patricia Routledge about Sheila Bowler. She was imprisoned for killing her aunt (she didn't do it and it was questionable that the lady was even killed, rather she had an accident).

Again no good evidence against her but like CJ she didn't defer to the police and wouldn't hold back from showing intellectual superiority if they were being a bit dim. Maybe they both had the mindset that police are public servants working for them.

In both cases their attitude riled the police who seemed determined to pin a crime on them. SB was a "doesn't suffer fools gladly" type and many didn't warm to her and were quick to speak out against her to the police. At least CJ didn't get prosecuted and imprisoned; SB served 4 years before being released on appeal.

So maybe the moral is be a suck up, treat the police with OTT reverence then you won't have to read a character assassination in the tabloids about you :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    AndrewPd wrote: »
    Exactly...

I really question the motives of those complaining who didn't even bother doing basic research.

Why would a drama seeking to be accurate fabricate this?

I think this kind of skepticism and in my opinion cutting close to racism is bad for peoples self esteem and progress.

:(

Oh, didn't see that, just going through the posts from last night, so it was a Black Lawyer, in real life.

Ah we've seen this sort of thing before, on many many threads that I could link to.
    Some people really do have a problem with Brown and Black people on TV, probably extends to Gay, Lesbian people too.
    Even if their quite nondescript, just their presence is enough.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    Looking forward to the second half tonight. I remember the long running Joanna Yeates thread on here and found it really distasteful!

Same, remember all the people jumping to the same conclusion, isn't until proven guilty? Not on here
  • Options
    LordsallyLordsally Posts: 2,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Living the Westcountry, and with a younger sister living in Bristol at the time, I remember this case only too well.

Watched the programme last evening, and have to say the portrayal of Chrisopher Jefferies is absolutely spot on. The real man was slightly strange in appearance and demeanor, but he was, in all possible ways, very innocent and the unjustified target of media frenzy.

That said, when the story broke, and the poor man was arrested, the papers were so confident in their allegations, that everyone thought the police had the killer. After all, the stories they painted pointed to an 'oddball' and social outcast. With hindsight, and the subsequent better regulation of the media, it should never have happened. But I think, and I am ashamed to say, most of us thought it was case closed.

Watching it last night was uncomfortable, and I cried, because all the man was guilty of was being an academic and pedant about grammar, nothing more. And whilst Avon and Somerset Police were determined to pin it all on him, the real killer was celebrating Christmas and New Year with his family in Holland, knowing that Christopher Jefferies was being framed for a murder he had committed.

It's a lesson learned, I think. But at the time, the media convinced us of his guilt, and shame on me for allowing that to happen.
  • Options
    EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The most stark message about all this I think is that if Christopher Jeffries hadn't had the wherewithall to be able to afford such a hotshot solicitor, he'd be in clink now. No question.

How many other people who are a bit out of kilter with society are now in prison for crimes they did not commit because they did not have access to such legal representation, I wonder. Don't suppose we'll ever know, but one thing is for dead sure - if that sort of practice went on in that police station, it had gone on there before and it also went on in other police stations up and down the country.
  • Options
    Terry NTerry N Posts: 5,262
    Forum Member
    Is anyone in a dilemma over whether to watch this or The Fall?
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Terry N wrote: »
    Is anyone in a dilemma over whether to watch this or The Fall?

I'm going to watch the Fall because I've been watching it for 5 weeks now. I'll watch this drama on +1.
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ITV seems to be getting it's 'mojo' back, when it comes to drama, they've got the experience, Drama is a 'prestige' item though, doesn't put bums on seats like the cheaper stuff.
    I've ignored them for years, they're still not one of my 'go to channels' though.

I agree, it was excellent stuff and will vie with Cilla to win a Bafta.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    It seems a bit odd to say I'm looking forward to a drama about a murder, but well, it was so good, that I am.
  • Options
    Terry NTerry N Posts: 5,262
    Forum Member
    I'm going to watch the Fall because I've been watching it for 5 weeks now. I'll watch this drama on +1.

Good thinking. Might do that.
  • Options
    owlloverowllover Posts: 7,980
    Forum Member

Me too! So glad of +1.
  • Options
    KnifeEdgeKnifeEdge Posts: 3,919
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Started to watch this last night was only going to watch 10 mins and go to bed, but it was rivetting, and I watched it all. Will watching the concluding part tonight with my daughter.

I well remember watching the TV coverage of Mr Jefferies, and remember thinking that even though he came across unconventionally, that was no reason to assume his guilt.

Brilliant drama. Best wishes to Mr Jefferies.
  • Options
    owlloverowllover Posts: 7,980
    Forum Member

Guilty or Innocent, the Police aren't your friends, looking for truth and don't you forget it, is my reasoning.
    That's down to my up bringing and what I've seen in fly on the wall docs.
    position it If I was in Mr Jefferies would have been a 'no comment' interview from the minute they arrested me.
    It's their job to prove the case, not yours to prove your innocence.

He didn't have a TV so probably thought telling the truth was what he should do and as Lordsally said was innocent in every sense . He seemed bewildered and Thank God for his solicitor.
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jason Watkins needs to clear some shelf-space for the Bafta award and all the others he`ll be getting.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    Jason Watkins needs to clear some shelf-space for the Bafta award and all the others he`ll be getting.

I read one review this morning and it wasn't very good >:(
  • Options
    MookleMookle Posts: 1,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He is just brilliant.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kat1985 wrote: »
    I read one review this morning and it wasn't very good >:(

I should add, it was the Daily Mail though!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2869189/Why-Mr-Jefferies-highbrow-tale-just-gave-giggles-CHRISTOPHER-STEVENS-reviews-night-s-TV.html
  • Options
    LordsallyLordsally Posts: 2,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »

He was also devilishly good in Being Human, very menacing with a wee glint in his eye. Very under rated actor, but none the less an incredible one x
  • Options
    cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's so deliciously awkward :D
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kat1985 wrote: »

She also said it was unintentionally funny. Ignorant moron.
This discussion has been closed.