Options

Things that have disappeared from everyday life

Comments

• Options
    Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can remember that in Woolworths they used to have big tins of broken biscuits that people could buy by the lb. At Christmas they used to have counters full of chocolate decorations to put on your Christmas tree, and people used to pick out and buy just what they wanted rather than have to buy packets of them like they do now. I can remember buying Swiss Rolls for 6d (2and a half pence) in there. I still miss Woolworths. Thinking of that, I miss C & A's as well.

I remember that leading up to Guy Fawkes night, children could go into toy shops, get a little container and go round buying different fireworks from counters laid out with them. You could even buy individual sparklers there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just bumping this thread. Can anyone think of things that have disappeared from everyday life over Christmas?
  • Options
    VoodooChicVoodooChic Posts: 9,868
    Forum Member
    I just discovered a few days ago....iPod classics. I'm now treating mine like a Queen....WHY WHY WHY have the tossers discontinued their best music product
  • Options
    Smiley433Smiley433 Posts: 7,923
    Forum Member
    Just bumping this thread. Can anyone think of things that have disappeared from everyday life over Christmas?

"Thank you" letters? Does anyone still get any of those? Or is it just a "cheers" via Facebook/Twitter/etc?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Smiley433 wrote: »
    "Thank you" letters? Does anyone still get any of those? Or is it just a "cheers" via Facebook/Twitter/etc?

I think it is bad that very few people do thank-you letters now. I was always told to do them and always got my son to do them as well. If you can't be bothered to thank someone properly then why should they bother to buy and send you something. I do still receive some thank you letters.
  • Options
    chopsimchopsim Posts: 3,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Playing board games as a family after lunch. Went to a friends for Xmas some years and they got the board games out. Couldn't believe how much I enjoyed it.
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    record players

people carrying round albums as a badge of identity........long haired bloke in a trenchcoat carrying a Led Zeppelin album........:D
  • Options
    franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    VoodooChic wrote: »
    I just discovered a few days ago....iPod classics. I'm now treating mine like a Queen....WHY WHY WHY have the tossers discontinued their best music product

Can't believe it!
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Beds made up of a sheet, blanket and a decorative cover (replaced by a single duvet)
  • Options
    cressida100cressida100 Posts: 3,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aniseed balls
  • Options
    Smiley433Smiley433 Posts: 7,923
    Forum Member
    I think it is bad that very few people do thank-you letters now. I was always told to do them and always got my son to do them as well. If you can't be bothered to thank someone properly then why should they bother to buy and send you something. I do still receive some thank you letters.

I'd be grateful of a "thank you" text or email these days, don't even get any of them.

When I was at school everyone had an Alsation called "Sasha".
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member

Yeah, decent telly.
    Thank **** for Youtube!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seeing a Father Christmas in lots of shops. Nowadays, there is only about one of two in a whole town and it costs the earth to take a child to see them. Also you used to be able to take your own photo of your child with the great man, but now they take a photo and charge you lots for it.
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice to see someone selling potatoes in 2 stone bags today in the market. Bet the metric police will be on his case before long, though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Being able to access your own doctor or doctor's surgery at the weekend and not having to ring up a different place where you will talk to someone you don't know.
  • Options
    TankyTanky Posts: 3,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Decent children's cartoons.
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RebelScum wrote: »
    Beds made up of a sheet, blanket and a decorative cover (replaced by a single duvet)

I still do, sheets with duvet and then a cover, its easier and cleaner to change the sheets than the duvet.
  • Options
    MissCharleyPMissCharleyP Posts: 1,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not read the whole thread so apologies if these are repeats:

Ice Magic (WHY was this discontinued??)
    Breezers (not Bacardi but sweets looked like and wrapped similar to fruit pastilles but menthol-flavoured)
    Cadburys Silk bars
    Cadburys Nut Crisp
    Cadburys Mint Crisp
    Quattro
    Wizard mousse
    Pasters
    Stripers
  • Options
    nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Finding 6d in your mouth when you'd bit into your Christmas pudding.

Those were the days.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    Seeing a Father Christmas in lots of shops. Nowadays, there is only about one of two in a whole town and it costs the earth to take a child to see them. Also you used to be able to take your own photo of your child with the great man, but now they take a photo and charge you lots for it.

Don't forget they need CRB checks and then the newspapers've started up a big scare about a paedoe epidemic now.
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A lot of ice lollies, like Red Devil, Orange Dragon, Haunted House, and those ones with the top third covered in hundreds and thousands, and the rest divided into two, differently-coloured segments.
  • Options
    nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lot of ice lollies, like Red Devil, Orange Dragon, Haunted House, and those ones with the top third covered in hundreds and thousands, and the rest divided into two, differently-coloured segments.

Fab! :D

ETA: I think that's what they were called. :blush:
  • Options
    OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can still buy Fab iced lollies in supermarkets
    http://www.myfabland.com/
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Recently when we went Christmas shopping for sweets, I remembered fondants. Does anyone else remember fondants - a type of sweets? I remember loving them as a child. They were fruit flavoured sweets - often three flavours, typically orange and lemon and either strawberry or raspberry - which were, sort of like fruit-centered chocolates, but without the chocolate covering and slightly harder, crisp at the outside. I remember they were often available in boxes from discount shops and particularly around Christmas time, as Christmas gifts. The sweets often had pretty, fancy shapes. I'd really love to be able to buy a box of fondants at Christmas. I'm not sure when I stopped noticing them for sale - the mid 80s?
  • Options
    bookcoverbookcover Posts: 6,216
    Forum Member
    Windowlene pink liquid.

Shake and Vac.

Fresh Yeast.

Butter Milk

Ox Blood Shoe Polish.

Smokers toothpaste powder.

Pearl bright Liquid.