Options

The Missing

Comments

• Options
    Reality SucksReality Sucks Posts: 28,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TRIPS wrote: »
    Lets be honest , if he moved in next door to you with all his bees, funny accent and scruffy beard youde be banging on the door complaining in no time.

I might be banging on his door, but I wouldn't be complaining :D:p
  • Options
    CubicEyesCubicEyes Posts: 455
    Forum Member
    By the way, our voyage on the love boat with Detective Baptiste must of course take place in Paris, aboard a Bateau Mouche on the River Seine, which we shall charter especially for our (nefarious) purpose.

At intervals during our achingly romantic cruise beneath the stars and the lamplit bridges of Paris - tippling vintage champagne as we go - various of us overheated women will of course swoon and fall overboard.

And despite his missing leg, Julien will on each occasion dive heroically in and rescue us in his strong arms from a watery grave.

Does that sound okay, girls?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TRIPS wrote: »
    :):)
    I give up. can hardly tell the difference between him and Albert Steptoe,
    probably has a bath in the sink as well.:)

And there's me thinking you were a paid up member of the Baptiste boat club :D

Now if he looked like this in the Missing, I might agree with you. But he doesn't - he looks like this :cool:
  • Options
    Frank EFrank E Posts: 111
    Forum Member
    I wonder if the whole 2014 thing is staged. The town is suffering from drop in tourism, people with young families would move out, which is bad for the town, bad for the mayor, bad for hoteliers, bad for the mafia. The mayor in particular wants Tony to face justice for Garrett's death
  • Options
    Gloria FandangoGloria Fandango Posts: 3,834
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CubicEyes wrote: »
    By the way, our voyage on the love boat with Detective Baptiste must of course take place in Paris, aboard a Bateau Mouche on the River Seine, which we shall charter especially for our (nefarious) purpose.

At intervals during our achingly romantic cruise beneath the stars and the lamplit bridges of Paris - tippling vintage champagne as we go - various of us overheated women will of course swoon and fall overboard.

And despite his missing leg, Julien will on each occasion dive heroically in and rescue us in his strong arms from a watery grave.

I think I could just about cope with that! :p :cool:

When do we set sail?
  • Options
    ForGodsSakeForGodsSake Posts: 16,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Now if he looked like this in the Missing, I might agree with you. But he doesn't - he looks like this :cool:

I still fancy him in the first photo :blush:
  • Options
    TRIPSTRIPS Posts: 3,714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's sounding more like the Love boat to be honest, :)
  • Options
    welshnannywelshnanny Posts: 229
    Forum Member

That sounds wonderful,I think I'll wear a floaty silk kaftan,I have one with black and yellow stripes so Julien can easily spot his Queen Bee :cool:
  • Options
    Liza with a ZeeLiza with a Zee Posts: 1,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The missing has been dragged out over 8 episodes. It's too slow no pace. I have lost interest about who has him it's boring.
  • Options
    rr22rr22 Posts: 7,633
    Forum Member
    The missing has been dragged out over 8 episodes. It's too slow no pace. I have lost interest about who has him it's boring.

I think a lot of series is about the impact on those around and the catalyst of events rather than just focussing on the missing child. Its what I've found fascinating about this very cleverly plotted series that it twists and turns at its own pace and not by the confines of television.
  • Options
    CubicEyesCubicEyes Posts: 455
    Forum Member
    I think I could just about cope with that! :p :cool:

When do we set sail?

Soon as he's solved the crime, caught the villain, tied up all the loose ends and tucked Celia up cosily in bed, so he can slip away for a night of illicit delight in Paris with me, me, me, me, ME!

Oh okay, and all of you lot too. Just to provide the contrast, you understand.

Julien will of course instantly recognise MOI as his true kindred spirit, and the rest will be history!

Heh heh heh heh heh! ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still fancy him in the first photo :blush:

Dear me - you have got it bad :D:p
  • Options
    lorrylorry Posts: 2,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd just like to say that if the boat is a bit overcrowded I'd be happy to share a bunk with the hunk.
  • Options
    lorrylorry Posts: 2,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because I'm totally unselfish like that.
  • Options
    solaresolare Posts: 11,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :confused: I thought it was just injured (or perhaps "The Missing" is a reference to his leg :blush:)
  • Options
    ForGodsSakeForGodsSake Posts: 16,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dear me - you have got it bad :D:p

I can see through all the scruffiness lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can see through all the scruffiness lol

He is very, very attractive (the woolly hat would have to go though;-) )
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After watching 3 consecutive episodes for the last 3 nights I'm FINALLY caught up with this.

Have enjoyed it but I reckon it might have been better a couple of episodes shorter.

Just about pulling all the threads together.
  • Options
    Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After watching 3 consecutive episodes for the last 3 nights I'm FINALLY caught up with this.

Have enjoyed it but I reckon it might have been better a couple of episodes shorter.

Just about pulling all the threads together.

It is too complex I think to have it over a shorter timescale. I think the problem is that unless you concentrate you become so confused as to what is happening when. Having re-watched earlier episodes I realise that there is so much to pick up on that relate to future episodes. It is that intricate detail in the plotting / dialogue that makes this stand out for me. I do think that a lot of the complexity may have been lost though for viewers who aren't as engrossed in the story as many of us on here.
  • Options
    BirdyBeeBirdyBee Posts: 1,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's so obvious. I'm tired of reading the most far-fetched, ridiculous theories on here! Is nobody actually concentrating?!

Ollie was abducted by aliens from Planet Bee. Baptiste is their leader disguised in human form. Everything that has happened in the series has just been a way of distracting you from the faint buzzing in the background, which is subliminally brainwashing you so you will be subservient to the superior Bees once they make their presence fully known on Tuesday night.

By Wednesday mere humans will be colonised as workers. Their lives will be at the mercy of the great Bee Baptiste.

Bees rule! ;-)

(Sorry...should have spoilered this...)
  • Options
    gerry23gerry23 Posts: 403
    Forum Member
    To all my fellow "Baptiste Babes" - and a little bonus girls - allegedly, he's one of the highest paid actors in the world and has an extensive property portfolio. His net worth is thought to be around $275 million.

Get's better by the minute doesn't it? ;-)
  • Options
    Davina's LabiaDavina's Labia Posts: 547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OK, I've spotted a big clue which probably gives away the culprit/ending/motive. If you want to enjoy the final episode on Tuesday, please don't look at this spoiler.

All I will say outside the spoiler tags is that it's incredible that none of us spotted it before. The clue was there in plain sight with no attempt to hide it.

(If you want to discuss what's below, please keep it in spoiler tags so as not to spoil it for others.)

Episode 1, Scene 1. Tony speaks to a boy in the restaurant in Challons Du Bois (in 2014).

The man sitting next to the boy is............... Greg Halpern. Here is a side-by-side comparison of Greg and the man in the restaurant:

1413abl.jpg

He's even wearing the same jumper! And nobody noticed until now!

The boy is credited at the end of Episode 1 as "Alex Duchamps" - the same boy who was kidnapped by his own father in 2009.

So I return to my earlier theory that after Alex was returned to his mother following his kidnap, she went ahead with her plan to take Alex abroad (the reason his father kidnapped him in the first place). With the help of a corrupt official, Alex's old identity was assigned to Ollie. Perhaps the real Alex was even given a new identity by the authorities to stop his father tracking him down. Therefore someone in authority (the Mayor?) knew that Ollie could safely assume Alex's old identity without there being any clash or duplication on any records.

So Greg is sitting there in the restaurant with Ollie. Greg is Ollie's father (or at least Greg believes he is).

The question that naturally follows from this is "why didn't Tony recognise Greg in the restaurant?"

Well, I think he did recognise him. And he recognised Ollie too. What we're seeing in Episode 1, Scene 1 is only one portion of the full scene. The scene will be revisited and concluded at the end of Episode 8. Watch it back, and an eerie calm descends over Tony's face. It looks like Tony is about to pounce and it's all going to kick off.

I guess that whatever money was paid to Greg in 2000 by Tony and Emily's father to buy his silence was the same money spent by Greg on paying various people to kidnap Ollie (Caid de Cite, the Mayor, or whoever).

One other observation: While sitting in the restaurant Greg is unfolding a map of Northern France, suggesting that he is unfamiliar with the area and is on his way to a particular destination. I wonder what has caused him to go to Challons with Ollie on a rainy evening in the winter? It's certainly not your average family holiday.
  • Options
    flirtythirty76flirtythirty76 Posts: 173
    Forum Member
    OK, I've spotted a big clue which probably gives away the culprit/ending/motive. If you want to enjoy the final episode on Tuesday, please don't look at this spoiler.

All I will say outside the spoiler tags is that it's incredible that none of us spotted it before. The clue was there in plain sight with no attempt to hide it.

(If you want to discuss what's below, please keep it in spoiler tags so as not to spoil it for others.)

Episode 1, Scene 1. Tony speaks to a boy in the restaurant in Challons Du Bois (in 2014).

The man sitting next to the boy is............... Greg Halpern. Here is a side-by-side comparison of Greg and the man in the restaurant:

1413abl.jpg

The boy is credited at the end of Episode 1 as "Alex Duchamps" - the same boy who was kidnapped by his own father in 2009.

So I return to my earlier theory that after Alex was returned to his mother following his kidnap, she went ahead with her plan to take Alex abroad (the reason his father kidnapped him in the first place). With the help of a corrupt official, Alex's old identity was assigned to Ollie. Perhaps the real Alex was even given a new identity by the authorities to stop his father tracking him down. Therefore someone in authority (the Mayor?) knew that Ollie could safely assume Alex's old identity without there being any clash or duplication on any records.

So Greg is sitting there in the restaurant with Ollie. Greg is Ollie's father (or at least Greg believes he is).

The question that naturally follows from this is "why didn't Tony recognise Greg in the restaurant?"

Well, I think he did recognise him. And he recognised Ollie too. What we're seeing in Episode 1, Scene 1 is only one portion of the full scene. The scene will be revisited and concluded at the end of Episode 8. Watch it back, and an eerie calm descends over Tony's face. It looks like Tony is about to pounce and it's all going to kick off.

I guess that whatever money was paid to Greg in 2000 by Tony and Emily's father to buy his silence was the same money spent by Greg on paying various people to kidnap Ollie (Caid de Cite, the Mayor, or whoever).

One other observation: While sitting in the restaurant Greg is unfolding a map of Northern France, suggesting that he is unfamiliar with the area and is on his way to a particular destination. I wonder what has caused him to go to Challons with Ollie on a rainy evening in the winter? It's certainly not your average family holiday.

Oh havent we all been very blind...great spot!!!!:o
    Doesn't spoil it 4 me as just makes it more intriguing.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 340
    Forum Member

1413abl.jpg

There's a resemblance but a difference in key features. If you watch the episode on YouTube the differences are more obvious.
  • Options
    gerry23gerry23 Posts: 403
    Forum Member

1413abl.jpg

I don't get what you're saying...
    If it is Greg, then your theory may be right about Tony recognising Greg - but are you saying that Greg, who was beaten up by Tony - shows absolutely no sign of recognising Tony - no acknowledgment, no surprise? And neither of those kids look in the slightest like Ollie, even taking into account the time lapse. Or maybe I've misunderstood you?