Options

Vegan Christmas food

tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
Forum Member
✭✭✭
One of the kids is now vegan, the other 2 like their meat.

They are all coming at Christmas and I have been ill recently so really dont want a lot of faff so will need to pre buy lots of things.

Normally when she visits she seems to live on falafels and I cant keep giving her these.

Any ideas for Vegan christmas food, or shop bought products that I can just get and keep in the freezer or fridge?

Comments

• Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    You can make some nice roast potatoes with olive oil, sea salt and fennel seeds.

Parsnip Soup either plain or curried.

You can make vegan puff pastry and make some sort of vegetable tart.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Surely you can make the majority of the dinner vegan.

Cook the spuds in veg oil. Cook the veg in water or steam them etc.

For her serve some quorn type chicken breast with veg gravy.
  • Options
    tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »

Cook the spuds in veg oil. Cook the veg in water or steam them etc.

For her serve some quorn type chicken breast with veg gravy.

quorn is not vegan and its not just the main dinner which of course the side dishes can be vegan, its the other snacks and nibbles throughout their stay.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    There'll be some vegan chicken type stuff out there that you can substitute.

If she's used to eating vegan food then tell her to bring her own for throughout her stay.
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Or tell her it is.
  • Options
    MuzeMuze Posts: 2,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are all manner of vegan nut roasts in supermarkets or health food shops, which are very tasty :)

And as said, easy enough to do vegan stuffing, roast and steamed veg.

You may not take her veganism seriously but she will respect your effort... why not ask her to help choose and a cook and vegan menu?
  • Options
    kate36kate36 Posts: 13,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And install "kitchen cam" so you can catch her secretly nibbling at the turkey when she thinks no one else is looking!!;-):D
  • Options
    jazzyjazzyjazzyjazzy Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or tell her it is.

That is unfair :( I am surprised at you Toby.

Holland and Barrett do fake vegan meats and cheese (the blocks of cheese are not good but the ones like garlic spreads are ok) - meat is sliced or small joints and they are fine - I have bought the joints for my Vegan son and he has eaten them without complaining and he is a person who cooks all his own food.

If you want to buy pastry then the ones marked with the V symbol for vegetarian are usually Vegan - just check the contents list - and make a pie or tart.
    Linda McCartney sausages are Vegan and look in the frozen cabinets of the supermarket for burgers etc which are vegan (lots of them contain milk or egg products) but there are some there.
  • Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Offer her a gas ring and a lift to Tescos.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Granovita Organic Tofu Pate - These are tubes of pate which look like toothpaste tubes - again H and B sell them and they are good on biscuits. There are 3 or 4 different flavours and they also sell one brand in a tin but I forget its name.
  • Options
    indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why not just ask her? That way she gets exactly what she wants and you don't have to worry about it. If I was Vegan I'd be delighted to be asked.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vegetable crisps from Aldi are moreish - carrots - beetroot - parsnips.
    I would also ask if you are not sure what she likes.
  • Options
    bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For the main course just get a vegan "roast" as a replacement for her turkey and don't use butter etc for the veggies and potatoes. We wrap vegan "bacon" strips round vegan sausages as well.

Some commercial Christmas puddings are vegan though you have to read the ingredients to know, we always make our own well before Christmas, if you make your own the vegan puds will be just as good as non vegan and other guests won't care or know. You can make custard perfectly well with soya or other non dairy milks, try it before Christmas as you might find the rest of your family prefers this to custard made with cow's milk or you can buy vegan custard, cream, ice cream etc.

For snacks that shouldn't be a problems as there are nuts etc. Most crisps except cheese flavoured are probably vegan - the reason I say "probably" is that I haven't looked in a few years as I don't like them but most (all?) smoky bacon, prawn cocktail etc flavour crisps certainly used to be vegan.

Mince pies can be a problem if you don't make your own, there are a few cheap value packs from Sainsbury and Waitrose that are vegan but most have milk powder or butter in.

We are vegans and most of the year don't go for meat substitutes etc but for Christmas at first glance our dinner doesn't look much different to a "standard" Christmas dinner, this would probably be the easiest for you. If you do it right it should be very little extra work.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The issue with doing vegan roasties, veg, pudding, trimmings etc is that one persons food fad gets imposed on everyone round the table. I would be against that in principle.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Or tell her it is.

That is the worst piece of advice anyone could give. It is far better for the dinner to be a complete disaster than to do something that could result in your offspring losing trust in you. Whatever you do don't do this - I'm sure you wouldn't anyway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alan29 wrote: »
    The issue with doing vegan roasties, veg, pudding, trimmings etc is that one persons food fad gets imposed on everyone round the table. I would be against that in principle.

First of all "vegan" is not a fad, I suggest you learn something about why people are vegan before you make such an idiotic statement. (Note I'm not calling you an idiot just saying your statement is idiotic based upon your obvious ignorance of the subject).

Secondly it is imposing nothing on anybody, there is no problem with having most of the veggies vegan and in a normal family (as I'm sure the OP's is) Janet and John will be quite happy to have their roast potatoes done in oil rather than goose fat so that Jack can have some as well.

EDIT: On reflection I would apologise to the OP for replying to an obviously trolling post when you are only interested in practical advice about the Christmas dinner.
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No it doesn't in our family I am the veggie (tried vegan but wasn't for me) I do everything vegetarian that I am going to eat and you can get lovely roast veg using vegetable oil, pudding can be made with vegetarian suet which is perfectly nice. Then I make a vegetarian nut roast or similar and a chicken for everyone else. No one is forced to be vegetarian or a meat eater.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I often cook for 1 Vegan - 1 Veggie and 2 meat eaters and don't find it a problem (because I am used to doing it) but my meat eaters are fine with oil roasted potatoes and vegan puds and my MIL does not know that I have given her Vegan custard and cream etc.
    Just read the labels and you - and they - will be fine.
    Have a nice Christmas.
  • Options
    Sven945Sven945 Posts: 4,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

How is being vegan any more of a fad than cooking roasties in goose fat?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

OK. Scrap "fad" replace with "choices."
    I have a vegan DiL, so yes, I do know about veganism. I have a veggie son, so I can quote chapter and verse on that too.
    Either everyone has to eat vegan or you cook twice.
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK. Scrap "fad" replace with "choices."
    I have a vegan DiL, so yes, I do know about veganism. I have a veggie son, so I can quote chapter and verse on that too.

That could be said about many "choices" though not just veggie, my husband hates several vegetables so I cook different ones for him than the rest of us. What you really want is to cook for him actually as his Asperger's has meant he has to have all his foods separate, not touching each other at all. Sometimes has 4 or 5 dishes in front of him to keep everything apart.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Everyone having to "eat vegan" is hardly imposing on anyone though. How would you make a non vegan carrot, for example?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sven945 wrote: »
    Everyone having to "eat vegan" is hardly imposing on anyone though.

Yes if we eat at non vegan friends' houses then either they do something separate for us or more commonly everything is vegan making everything really easy - surprisingly none of them are allergic to eating the occasional meal without animal products and they manage to survive or even enjoy the process.
    How would you make a non vegan carrot, for example?

Some people may cook them in butter or sprinkle bacon choppings on them or something like that, it's hardly an imposition not to do so though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vegan turkey, gravy, cream, butter, cheese, milk. All the normal ingredients of everyone else's Christmas dinner.
    Persuade me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vegan turkey, gravy, cream, butter, cheese, milk. All the normal ingredients of everyone else's Christmas dinner.
    Persuade me.

I've had a fair few Christmas dinners in my time and I've never had milk as part of it. But if you insist on it, you can easily get milk alternatives (soya, almond, oat milk) that require no cooking whatsoever.