Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 62)

Comments

• Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    I'm surprised the Strictly peak was higher than X Factor. Last year X Factor was close to 12m.

"@johnplunkett149: #BenHaenow win in the #XFactorFinal watched by 9.1m viewers, 5-min peak of 10.5m, down from 9.6m (11.9m peak) last year"

I think SCD has been the more dramatic over the past few weeks and the fact that Mel B's personal life seemed to overshadow the XF final must be food for thought. There still good numbers in modern terms but its lost its edge-no doubt about that in my mind.

SPOTY manages to be inspirational, moving, dramatic, magnificent ................................and boring. Quite an achievement that. Decent rating and decent alternative to XF where ITV don't have the same against SCD's final.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lewiep93 wrote: »
    DMN or ronant do you have the rest of the HD ratings for Coronation Street for w/e 7 December? It'll be my final request don't worry.

With the last lot of the consolidated IAC ratings in, I make a series average of 9.77m/10.25m.

I'm a Celebrity Series Averages
    Series 13 (2013) - 11.13m (exc. +1 - 10.65m)
    Series 3 (2004) - 11.02m
    Series 12 (2012) - 10.47m (exc. +1 - 9.98m)
    Series 10 (2010) - 10.34m
    Series 14 (2014) - 10.25m (exc. +1 - 9.77m)
    Series 11 (2011) - 10.07m (exc. +1 - 9.64m)
    Series 5 (2005) - 9.42m
    Series 9 (2009) - 9.37m
    Series 8 (2008) - 8.78m
    Series 4 (2004) - 8.66m
    Series 2 (2003) - 8.55m
    Series 6 (2006) - 8.01m
    Series 1 (2002) - 7.58m
    Series 7 (2007) - 7.34m

IAC is an amazing and enduring success story in all honesty. An absolute pain in the backside for other broadcasters every Nov/Dec.
  • Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    Why would they move Silent Witness to go against Broadchurch? Absolute madness >:( not happy at all if this sticks. The BBC should just hold it back until later in the year.

The BBC seem to be on the verge of what looks like some scheduling blunders in the early part of next year. Not just SW but Death in Paradise being reported as moving to Thursday and Musketeers on Friday.
    I could just assume they know what their doing but history does not exactly prove that does it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Chris1964 wrote: »
    IAC is an amazing and enduring success story in all honesty. An absolute pain in the backside for other broadcasters every Nov/Dec.

And a pain in the backside for people who dont like it. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why would they move Silent Witness to go against Broadchurch? Absolute madness >:( not happy at all if this sticks. The BBC should just hold it back until later in the year.

Arguably they should not contend the Broadchurch slot with anything important. I will say this though-Broadchurch made such a stellar impression first time around -its going to have to bl@@dy good to maintain the standard and the audience.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    And a pain in the backside for people who dont like it. :)

............there is that I suppose :D

there is the off switch though ;-)
  • Options
    Philip WilsonPhilip Wilson Posts: 1,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At the end of Gotham tonight it said that the show returns in the Spring. That seems like quite a long break. I thought it would have been back almost immediately. When does it return in the US? I hope C5 aren't doing a Person of Interest on us here and literally running the thing all over place and miles behind US transmission.

5th January according to Wikipedia, if Fox intend to finish Gotham in May then I would say it will be back on C5 at the beginning of March so they can run through without gaps with 12 episodes left. That's just my guess.

2nd March return would mean it missed Broadchurch as well.
  • Options
    JetsonJetson Posts: 13,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ............there is that I suppose :D

there is the off switch though ;-)
    You mean The X Factor, I'm A Celebrity et al aren't FORCED into the consciousnesses of these people by violent force?

Roger me stunned. ;)
  • Options
    iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Arguably they should not contend the Broadchurch slot with anything important. I will say this though-Broadchurch made such a stellar impression first time around -its going to have to bl@@dy good to maintain the standard and the audience.

On the other hand, why should the BBC kowtow to Broadchurch? If it's so blooming brilliant, it shouldn't be afraid of a little competition.

Silent Witness is old now and the new team are even less appealing than the new team on New Tricks. Maybe BBC1 see this as a good way to kill off SW so they can replace it with something new. I'll wager Monday/Tuesday is what they always intended for SW but had to move the first story to Tuesday/Wednesday to accommodate a live FA Cup game on the Monday due to the FA telling premiere league clubs that they want be forced to play their FA Cup games on Saturday 3rd, two days after the full premiere league programme on New Year's Day.

Some people express concern at Death In Paradise moving to Thursday because they believe less people watch TV on a Thursday than on a Tuesday. I kinda think of Thursday as late-night grocery shopping night but that's from the days before 24-hour opening, when supermarkets only opened late on a Thursday and Friday. And anyway, at 9pm???

A quick calculation using DS ratings reports and shares, however, suggests 23.3m viewers watching TV in the 9pm hour on Tuesday against only 20.4m (:o) on Thursday. Thinking this may simply down to there being less appealing programmes on Thursday, I took a look back to the previous Thursday when IAC is on and even here, my calculations say 22.7m were watching in the 9pm hour, about half a million down on Tuesday so I can see where people are coming from with their concerns over DIP's move, Although IAC did have 7.5m excluding +1, which was higher than the highest overnight audience for the last series of DIP so we wait to see what happens.

Basically, the BBC have got 2 x Silent Witness, Death In Paradise, The Musketeers and BBC2's Wolf Hall for weekday 9pm slots and it's a question of which one goes up against Broadchurch and Silent Witness draws the short straw for reasons mentioned in the first sentence of paragraph 2. Obviously they could cut SW to one transmission a week on a Tuesday and stick factual or repeats on against Broadchurch but that brings me back to the very first point in my post. Besides SW has a habit of posted big timeshifts which might leave its consolidated ratings looking decent (over 7m perhaps like last year. Only the final episode was below and only just at 6.83m).
  • Options
    Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Missing has a Black Mirror special on Channel 4 as competition along with The Choir: Military Wives on BBC2. I still expect The Missing to get a boost but perhaps not a a big one.

Your catch up viewers are going to tune in. Well most of them as they will want to find out what happened in real time broadcast. It will be all over social media immediately.
    Interesting posting on the thread on DS is how the audience has evolved during the show. You had folks at the beginning tuning in expecting it to be another Broadchurch but they just hadn't got the concentration to follow the more complex storyline. Then there are others who having had excellent reviews from friends and colleagues had caught up with back episodes on I Player and joined in. I don't know if there has been a shift in the profile of the audience during the series.
  • Options
    Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

To kill it off?
  • Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iaindb wrote: »
    On the other hand, why should the BBC kowtow to Broadchurch? If it's so blooming brilliant, it shouldn't be afraid of a little competition.

Silent Witness is old now and the new team are even less appealing than the new team on New Tricks. Maybe BBC1 see this as a good way to kill off SW so they can replace it with something new. I'll wager Monday/Tuesday is what they always intended for SW but had to move the first story to Tuesday/Wednesday to accommodate a live FA Cup game on the Monday due to the FA telling premiere league clubs that they want be forced to play their FA Cup games on Saturday 3rd, two days after the full premiere league programme on New Year's Day.

Some people express concern at Death In Paradise moving to Thursday because they believe less people watch TV on a Thursday than on a Tuesday. I kinda think of Thursday as late-night grocery shopping night but that's from the days before 24-hour opening, when supermarkets only opened late on a Thursday and Friday. And anyway, at 9pm???

A quick calculation using DS ratings reports and shares, however, suggests 23.3m viewers watching TV in the 9pm hour on Tuesday against only 20.4m (:o) on Thursday. Thinking this may simply down to there being less appealing programmes on Thursday, I took a look back to the previous Thursday when IAC is on and even here, my calculations say 22.7m were watching in the 9pm hour, about half a million down on Tuesday so I can see where people are coming from with their concerns over DIP's move, Although IAC did have 7.5m excluding +1, which was higher than the highest overnight audience for the last series of DIP so we wait to see what happens.

Basically, the BBC have got 2 x Silent Witness, Death In Paradise, The Musketeers and BBC2's Wolf Hall for weekday 9pm slots and it's a question of which one goes up against Broadchurch and Silent Witness draws the short straw for reasons mentioned in the first sentence of paragraph 2. Obviously they could cut SW to one transmission a week on a Tuesday and stick factual or repeats on against Broadchurch but that brings me back to the very first point in my post. Besides SW has a habit of posted big timeshifts which might leave its consolidated ratings looking decent (over 7m perhaps like last year. Only the final episode was below and only just at 6.83m).

Death In Paradise will be fine on Thursday. It should hold a strong 6m or so, but the change of day from the cushy Tuesday slot, will take some viewers away. However I thin Broadchurch will breath new life into the entire TV schedule. More viewers will be willing to watch TV.
  • Options
    XIVXIV Posts: 21,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The BBC clearly have high hopes for Wolf Hall and they were never going to schedule it against Broadchurch. It's tough to predict how well it could do, I'm hoping it does at least 3m+ for the first episode but it could be higher.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wimbledon to be split with a pay TV channel ala F1?: http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/medianews/article4298467.ece

Its behind a paywall so doesn't give much away. I am surprised at this, I thought it was one thing that the BBC would make sure they keep outright.
  • Options
    Cestrian18Cestrian18 Posts: 6,914
    Forum Member
    Wimbledon to be split with a pay TV channel ala F1?: http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/medianews/article4298467.ece

Its behind a paywall so doesn't give much away. I am surprised at this, I thought it was one thing that the BBC would make sure they keep outright.

I'm 99% sure they can't do that until the current Wimbledon Contract runs out in 2017 as part of the deal is that its a front and centre sporting event on the 'protected' list so I'd take it with a pinch of salt
  • Options
    davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm not that great with ratings predictions, but I do think Broadchurch will continue to do very well this series and BBC One will lose out with whatever they put up against it. I think it's too early to challenge a show like this as it's not showing any sign of weakness yet. I just think Silent Witness is too similar a show to Broadchurch, and they could have put more of an alternative there.
    The BBC seem to be on the verge of what looks like some scheduling blunders in the early part of next year. Not just SW but Death in Paradise being reported as moving to Thursday and Musketeers on Friday.
    I could just assume they know what their doing but history does not exactly prove that does it?

The early part of this year did so well for BBC One with many of these shows up year on year, so I don't know why they want to fiddle around with it too much when it all works so well already.

I think Death in Paradise will perform as well on Thursday, as it would on Tuesday. I'm confident the change of day won't harm it - Death in Paradise is a strong established show now and the audience will follow it to wherever it goes. My main concern is with Silent Witness, but as you say the show is old now and that's why they've probably stuck it on Monday instead to face the tougher competition.

It did timeshift close to 2 million last series, so maybe the Monday showing will underperform, but Tuesday's showing will have a higher overnight rating with lesser competition and viewers will have caught up with Part One by then.

Can't wait to see all the figures for these shows anyway - it'll be really interesting.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Musketeers is in the schedules for 9 pm on Friday January 2, ten episodes apparently.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cestrian18 wrote: »
    I'm 99% sure they can't do that until the current Wimbledon Contract runs out in 2017 as part of the deal is that its a front and centre sporting event on the 'protected' list so I'd take it with a pinch of salt

Obviously not under the current contract but 2017 isn't far away so it wouldn't be surprising if they are in talks. IIRC only the finals are A listed.
  • Options
    LHolmesLHolmes Posts: 13,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For the record, this series has averaged 7.7m (inc +1: 8.1m) in the overnights compared to the 2013 series which averaged 8.5m (inc +1: 8.8m). So including +1 it's down 0.7m. Far from ideal but not a total disaster. Factoring out the two Friday shows the series average was 8.2m - so hardly any difference whatsoever.
    Why would you factor them out? They aired as part of the series so should be counted in its total. That's like a Corrie fan saying it rates well on Mondays only so we'll factor out Wednesday and Friday's ratings.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It seems the whole press is picking up on the Coronation Street ratings story. It's all based on one Sunday rating. Let's see what happens tonight.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/showbiz-tv/hot-tv/415429/Coronation-Street-ratings-all-time-low
    I don't know about The Star but the telegraph did reference Corrie's average audience being down as well so their article wasn't just about the Sunday rating at least. That was only the lead.

Corrie does have issues at the moment and as with EastEnders people burying their hands in the sand about it won't do it any favours.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dan2008 wrote: »
    EastEnders and Waterloo road never to clash!

I can't see how though given EastEnders is at 8pm on Monday and So is Waterloo Road,

Shane&Kirstie ‏@comogen · Dec 13
    What am I supposed to do if waterloo road is gonna be on at the same time as eastenders hmm @BBCOne ??? #thestruggle

BBC One ‏@BBCOne · Dec 13
    @comogen don't worry, the two will never clash.

:confused:
    BBC Three is only airing Waterloo Road at 8 for one week, they've said it will move after that to avoid clashing with EE.
  • Options
    all_nightall_night Posts: 7,656
    Forum Member
    Can anyone get a hold of Australian TV ratings for Monday? I am sure many if not all regular programmes were ditched for rolling news coverage yesterday, especially in the Sydney district. Thanks.
  • Options
    ChrisEChrisE Posts: 1,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cestrian18 wrote: »

I'm sure this cropped up last year as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The early part of this year did so well for BBC One with many of these shows up year on year, so I don't know why they want to fiddle around with it too much when it all works so well already.

Thats exactly my point. Last year the schedule performed very well for BBC in the early part of the year. Last year DIP hit record numbers on Tuesday and SW was up I believe on Thur/Fri with Musketeers still producing a decent rating on Sunday. This year every program is being moved and I dont see any reason for it. I know Last Tango on Sunday means a bit of a reshuffle but it could have been achieved without throwing away the entire drama schedule.

Moving SW to Wed/Thur and leaving DIP on Tuesday for example.
  • Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TV ratings must have been awful last night.
This discussion has been closed.