Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 62)

Comments

• Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    Does anyone know how "The Missing Evidence" (C5, 8pm) did last night? :D
    The rating's been lost, I'm afraid. It's a bit of a mystery. Computer says no. ;)
  • Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    johnnymc wrote: »
    There are an awful lot of people who have committed murder/ attempted murder/arson/gbh running around within a mile of each other too, I think the law is slightly different in Walford.

I think this might be another contributary factor to the soaps general decline. Same stories going round and round ad infinitum. It does apply to all soaps though not just EE.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Zac Quinn wrote: »
    Even for low-profile programming, it's the week before Christmas for pity's sake, that those ratings were the highest in the slot is absolutely pathetic!

Richard Hammond won part of the slot though. The BBC will be popping the champagne corks. :D
  • Options
    Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LHolmes wrote: »
    Councils are backed up with people needing emergency accommodation, they tend to stick people in B&Bs temporarily and often miles away, hoping that they will become someone else's problem. (Re: Kat & Alfie)

I read somewhere they are going to be offered accommodation in Hull. Whilst that would suit may on DS soap forum as it rids them of Alfie it ain't going to happen as they won't move. BBC on agenda territory here.
  • Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    burbe wrote: »
    Compared to last year:

Corrie - 9.1m (40.8%) and 8.66m (35.7%) DOWN 1.56m and 1.57m
    EastEnders - 7.5m (31.8%) DOWN 0.53m
    Emmerdale - 7.07m (33.8%) DOWN 0.89m

Thanks

I don't honestly know how those figures can be justified. With each passing week Corrie drops heavily again and still nothing done.
  • Options
    garyessexgaryessex Posts: 9,083
    Forum Member
    Thanks

I don't honestly know how those figures can be justified. With each passing week Corrie drops heavily again and still nothing done.

Something MAYBE being done, just because we don't know about it doesn't mean everything is chugging along. SB is probably under immense pressure from ITV at the moment.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    Thanks

I honestly don't think the producers of soaps know what to do. That figure for Corrie in particular is horrifying.

And to be honest I'm not sure what they can do either, I don't think it will be easy for any of the soaps to regain lost viewers. Once you stop watching for a few weeks it's quite hard to get back into it, and frankly theyre on so often that most people probably just don't have time.

Who really wants to spend four hours per week watching soaps?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Who really wants to spend four hours per week watching soaps?
    A diminishing number of people. They are a big commitment in this day and age IMO for not much reward.

I guess the bad publicity around Corrie hasn't helped matters. It's one thing to be losing viewers hand over fist, another for it to be common public knowledge.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    Dancc wrote: »
    A diminishing number of people. They are a big commitment in this day and age IMO for not much reward.

I guess the bad publicity around Corrie hasn't helped matters. It's one thing to be losing viewers hand over fist, another for it to be common public knowledge.

Corrie is pretty much where Eastenders was 2 years ago. The common perception is that it is now rubbish and not worth watching, and its very hard to get out of that. Eastenders is still struggling with it, despite people who watch it agreeing that the quality of the show has improved. Ratings are still dropping.
  • Options
    simon_geraldsimon_gerald Posts: 825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hammond's wild weather figures would have been higher but in Wales it was shown on bbc2.
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    Hammond's wild weather figures would have been higher but in Wales it was shown on bbc2.

Hammond's overnight will include those watching the alternative programming on BBC One Wales.
  • Options
    rr22rr22 Posts: 7,633
    Forum Member
    Channel 5 commissioned a four part documentary of 60 minutes each filmed in Loch Lomond. "A Year in the Wild" to air in first three months of the year. Exploring the changing seasons and diverse eco systems in Scotland. Finally something of merit and interest!
  • Options
    RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    all_night wrote: »
    Once they start doing that, and if they extend and extend its run it will become the downfall of the programme. C4 have form for doing this.

they are already, I reckon it will become a year round programme with a larger cast of families. It was better as a 50 minute show including ads as it feels padded now filling an hour slot. I'm already bored of it
    all_night wrote: »
    What's all this " " business :D EastEnders and Coronation St will do.

The BBC Three repeat of EastEnders got a good figure. Anyone thinking Christmas Day will see some amazing figure on BBC One is clutching at straws.

Why? It's a flagship episode in bbc1's key slot. Me and GeorgeS will be among millions watching for the only time this year.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks

Can anything be done though H. I just think that time has passed for the soaps.
  • Options
    RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Separately I should add!

We've not become the new Dom and Steph! :-)
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Actually BBC Wales showed a documentary about Katherine Jenkins which I would suspect boosted his rating as it's for the slot not the programme, it will be adjusted later.
  • Options
    MarkynottsMarkynotts Posts: 5,255
    Forum Member
    Thanks

I think the minibus crash is a knee jerk reaction to the falling ratings. They are obviously hoping for it to bring in the viewers, who will then stay around. But we know that people will tune in for the stunt and then wander away again. Except of course if the weather is on ITV's side. If we have a snow week the ratings will suddenly go up and stay. SB will be the savior of the show and hang around even longer.

I know things must be bad because even my Mother has stopped watching, and she was there for the first episode.
  • Options
    Zac QuinnZac Quinn Posts: 5,172
    Forum Member
    ftv wrote: »
    Actually BBC Wales showed a documentary about Katherine Jenkins which I would suspect boosted his rating as it's for the slot not the programme, it will be adjusted later.

So the Hammond doc actually rated even lower? Why oh why do they keep persisting with this man:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Markynotts wrote: »
    I think the minibus crash is a knee jerk reaction to the falling ratings. They are obviously hoping for it to bring in the viewers, who will then stay around. But we know that people will tune in for the stunt and then wander away again. Except of course if the weather is on ITV's side. If we have a snow week the ratings will suddenly go up and stay. SB will be the savior of the show and hang around even longer.

I know things must be bad because even my Mother has stopped watching, and she was there for the first episode.

Surely there were other producers they could have chosen. Not sure why they made the strange choice of an unpopular producer, or indeed leaving him to make decisions on one of ITV core programmes. Its been a difficult year for "Coronation Street" I do sympathise with it viewers though don't watch it. The destruction of "EastEnders" from Bryan Kirkwood was very similar.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Why? It's a flagship episode in bbc1's key slot. Me and GeorgeS will be among millions watching for the only time this year.
    You don't seriously think EE can top Xmas Day ratings this year, do you ?

I think the only way in betting wise this year is to LAY EastEnders on Betfair at the prices. 5/2 chance ? No way. More like 7/1 on my tissue !
  • Options
    all_nightall_night Posts: 7,615
    Forum Member
    they are already, I reckon it will become a year round programme with a larger cast of families. It was better as a 50 minute show including ads as it feels padded now filling an hour slot. I'm already bored of it

Well it won't get over 10 million in overnights, that i would bet on. Anything less is not an amazing figure fore Christmas Day surely?

I love EastEnders by the way, so i'm not one of those haters before anyone breaks both legs.
  • Options
    MarkynottsMarkynotts Posts: 5,255
    Forum Member
    Surely there were other producers they could have chosen. Not sure why they made the strange choice of an unpopular producer, or indeed leaving him to make decisions on one of ITV core programmes. Its been a difficult year for "Coronation Street" I do sympathise with it viewers though don't watch it. The destruction of "EastEnders" from Bryan Kirkwood was very similar.

They seem to be following a similar path as the BBC with Eastenders, and it does seem strange. Just what does the producer have on those at ITV. He must have some very strong connections within the core of the channel.

Or, something has gone horribly wrong with the Barb system. They do seem to be dragging their heels on the inclusion of iplayer viewers into the main stats.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They seem to be following a similar path as the BBC with Eastenders, and it does seem strange. Just what does the producer have on those at ITV. He must have some very strong connections within the core of the channel.

Or, something has gone horribly wrong with the Barb system. They do seem to be dragging their heels on the inclusion of iplayer viewers into the main stats.

Well this is true, many watch our soaps in such a different way now it does have a factor in the ratings I'm sure.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Separately I should add!

We've not become the new Dom and Steph! :-)

Which one would you be though !!! ;-)
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the minibus crash is a knee jerk reaction to the falling ratings.

Plus, as with most storylines under Stuart Blackburn, it probably won't be executed very well. It will just do more harm if viewers tune in for a hyped up storyline only to be left disappointed.
    The destruction of "EastEnders" from Bryan Kirkwood was very similar.

Ironically, Hollyoaks did a minibus crash in 2012 which marked Bryan Kirkwood's return as producer. It did well for them and according to the data posted in this thread ratings are still climbing year on year, in contrast to the three other evening soaps.
This discussion has been closed.