http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-30512657

Down by 63,000 to 1.96 million. Now 6%.

Average pay grew by 1.6% ahead of the 1.3% cpi inflation figure

Comments

• Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Let's just hope for another Conservative led government to keep it going.

That said, I still don't trust the recovery as it seems too much like a bubblecovery. The Conservatives are just the best of a bad lot of options.
  • Options
    BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yay, another 63,000 waiters and hairdressers !
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most people have a problem with cause/effect, and this is a very good example.

"doing well" economy >> lowered unemployment.

The government have lowered unemployment using various methods, but not by creating a "doing well" economy. The only method that has value.

They have used tricks really, forced labour being one such trick. Ironically, these tricks are actually damaging to the economy.

Just for balance, Labour did the same thing a lot when last in power. Exploiting this confusion that most people have with regards cause/effect.
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The cost of living crisis argument is certainly fading away now for Labour. I'm not sure they'll be able to use it in May.
  • Options
    SallyforthSallyforth Posts: 7,404
    Forum Member
    The cost of living crisis argument is certainly fading away now for Labour. I'm not sure they'll be able to use it in May.

Assuming of course that this increase in employment is made up of jobs that provide a reasonable standard of living?
  • Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member

What, Unemployment might be down by big numbers, but the benefit bill is still going up, because the jobs that have been created are paying low wages so most the people doing these jobs will be claiming in work means tested benefits to top up wages, does that not come under cost of living crisis
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You might be fooled but most people who are actually struggling to survive are not.

So it won't benefit the Conservatives.
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sallyforth wrote: »
    Assuming of course that this increase in employment is made up of jobs that provide a reasonable standard of living?
    tim59 wrote: »
    What, Unemployment might be down by big numbers, but the benefit bill is still going up, because the jobs that have been created are paying low wages so most the people doing these jobs will be claiming in work means tested benefits to top up wages, does that not come under cost of living crisis
    Tassium wrote: »
    You might be fooled but most people who are actually struggling to survive are not.

So it won't benefit the Conservatives.

Average wages are rising more than the cost of goods.. that's where the cost of living crisis has always been. People have more money in their pockets. Especially with the cost of fuel dropping as much as it is. Yes people will still struggle.. no denying that. But Labour are going to struggle to make an argument that everyone is trapped in a cost of living crisis in May if things continue as they are at the moment.

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/wage-growth-rise-eases-cost-094040146.html?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed
  • Options
    gummy mummygummy mummy Posts: 26,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brilliant news, does make you wonder what the the real total would be if all the people who were "economically inactive" during that period were included though.
    There were 9.06 million people aged from 16 to 64 who were out of work and not seeking or available to work (known as economically inactive). This was little changed compared with May to July 2014 and with a year earlier.

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/lms/labour-market-statistics/december-2014/statistical-bulletin.html
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is all very well, but surely the swingeing public spending cuts on the horizon are going to put the kibosh on the recovery? For a start, there will be hundreds of thousands more public sector employees losing their jobs over the next few years – if Osborne has his way, at least.
  • Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    Average wages are rising more than the cost of goods.. that's where the cost of living crisis has always been. People have more money in their pockets. Especially with the cost of fuel dropping as much as it is. Yes people will still struggle.. no denying that. But Labour are going to struggle to make an argument that everyone is trapped in a cost of living crisis in May if things continue as they are at the moment.

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/wage-growth-rise-eases-cost-094040146.html?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

Average NET wages are down from £26,000 to £23,500 IDS said this on the 5 november
  • Options
    jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 64,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Amusing that if it was going up some would be complaining yet when it goes down they are.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jmclaugh wrote: »
    Amusing that if it was going up some would be complaining yet when it goes down they are.

Ain't partisan politics great?
  • Options
    boksboxboksbox Posts: 4,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As an IT consultant (well sort of as I'm out of work..) I apply for about 5 jobs a day for the last 12 months but I guess my age, 56, is against me, I know of several others in a similar position, none of us signed on as yet so we don't appear in the unemployment figures.
    I've seen many a boom and bust, not seeing much boom this time round.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Average wages are rising more than the cost of goods.. that's where the cost of living crisis has always been. People have more money in their pockets
    I expect it helps the goverment to counter the cost of living argument with the claim wages are now going up faster than inflation, although they have lowered the inflation measure from RPI to CPI and there is the question of whose wages as it is an average and for that matter whose inflation as cost of living is dependent on what you spend money on. The ONS recently did a report on cpi inflation broken down by income decile. With the unsurprising conclusion that inflation is running highest for those on the lowest incomes.
    http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/elmr/variation-in-the-inflation-experience-of-uk-households/2003-2014/sty-variation-in-the-inflation-experience-of-uk-households.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In addition, surely the labour market itself is undergoing a huge transformation? There are more self-employed people than ever before (4.6 million) – along with another nearly 0.6 million on ZHCs. This does seem to be a trend and perhaps there will be hardly any full-time, permanent employees in about 50 years' time?
  • Options
    paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    boksbox wrote: »
    As an IT consultant (well sort of as I'm out of work..) I apply for about 5 jobs a day for the last 12 months but I guess my age, 56, is against me, I know of several others in a similar position, none of us signed on as yet so we don't appear in the unemployment figures.

56 would be an issue as IT is notoriously ageist industry - where being 30 is considered past it. Most people I know of this age have either gone freelance (where you are as good as your last contract, not based on your date of birth) or into management.

I assume given you are calling yourself an IT consultant that you have already moved into freelance
  • Options
    SallyforthSallyforth Posts: 7,404
    Forum Member

Is it partisan politics to want people to have enough money to live on (which is the whole point of working for most people) rather than simply some employment? Perhaps it is....
  • Options
    jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 64,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/elmr/variation-in-the-inflation-experience-of-uk-households/2003-2014/sty-variation-in-the-inflation-experience-of-uk-households.html

An interesting analysis by the ONS though not exactly a new one as obviously different spending habits impact some groups differently as opposed to a generic index such as CPI or RPI. The term "a democratic price index" is a rather amusing and silly one.

Ultimately unless the government somehow attempts to and actually can target the inflation of specific goods and services it is a rather academic exercise leaving aside what the views of voters would be if they did for one group of households.

If wage inflation is ahead of price inflation that is no bad thing.
  • Options
    boksboxboksbox Posts: 4,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    56 would be an issue as IT is notoriously ageist industry - where being 30 is considered past it. Most people I know of this age have either gone freelance (where you are as good as your last contract, not based on your date of birth) or into management.

I assume given you are calling yourself an IT consultant that you have already moved into freelance

I've worked as a mixture, I prefer contract work, some sites do give you an indication of how many are applying so you can see the odds are at least 100-1 if not a lot higher.

Strictly speaking if I get 3 years contract work out of the next 5 or 6 years I'll be looking to retirement, it's just frustrating having to deal with agents who have a shopping list of skills that they don't understand necessarily but can't see how your experience would fit the bill.
    The unemployment figures are a bit meaningless in that the expected income tax gain hasn't happened, any amount of spin can't get round that one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Most people don't want to be working, they want what working can provide

And for an ever increasing number of people it isn't providing that. And often they have to go begging to the government simply to live, even after working a full week!

This is something that the supporters of this government have failed to understand. But the general public understand it very well, hence why it's neck-and-neck for Labour/Tory in polls.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It says something about the Conservative mindset that such people think that the general public really want to have jobs! That a job is the most important thing in a persons life...

When what people obviously want is money, the job is the necessity. (Very few people are ever going to have a job that's a reward in itself)

Politicians will always try this trick of redefining what's important. And the support base will swing into action to mindlessly parrot it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I want to be working. What's the alternative? Lounging around all day, every day? I experienced that for a year in 2010 and I was miserable for that whole year. Lost self esteem and motivation, gained weight through boredom and a feeling of worthlessness. I never want to go through that again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    It says something about the Conservative mindset that such people think that the general public really want to have jobs! That a job is the most important thing in a persons life...

When what people obviously want is money, the job is the necessity. (Very few people are ever going to have a job that's a reward in itself)

Politicians will always try this trick of redefining what's important. And the support base will swing into action to mindlessly parrot it.

It depends on the person and the kind of job satisfaction offered by a particular role. Surely the ideal scenario is to love what you do and get paid for it?
  • Options
    Rastus PiefaceRastus Pieface Posts: 4,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brilliant news, does make you wonder what the the real total would be if all the people who were "economically inactive" during that period were included though.
    http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/lms/labour-market-statistics/december-2014/statistical-bulletin.html

especially if someone posted figures as to what "economically inactive" means.;-)

Looking in more detail at the 9.06 million people aged from 16 to 64 who were economically inactive for August to October 2014:

2.35 million were students, 15,000 more than a year earlier.

2.29 million were looking after the family or home, 68,000 fewer than a year earlier.

2.02 million were long-term sick, 47,000 more than a year earlier.

1.30 million were retired, 39,000 fewer than a year earlier. This fall in the number of economically inactive people who had retired before reaching the age of 65 reflects ongoing changes to the state pension age for women resulting in fewer women retiring between the ages of 60 and 65.

180,000 were temporarily sick, 13,000 fewer than a year earlier.

48,000 were discouraged (not looking for work because they thought that no suitable jobs were available), 6,000 fewer than a year earlier.

The remaining 861,000 people gave other reasons for not looking for work or declined to provide a reason in their Labour Force Survey interview, 73,000 more than a year earlier.

boksbox wrote: »

it's definitely your age. applying for five jobs a day for a year shows the jobs are there. (or its your CV). Good luck though.