Options

unemployment falls again

Comments

• Options
    Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't see denying welfare to hundreds of thousands of people in poverty anything to applaud.
  • Options
    MartinPMartinP Posts: 31,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jol44 wrote: »
    I don't see denying welfare to hundreds of thousands of people in poverty anything to applaud.

Perhaps you could find your way to applaud the new jobs created over the last year

For August to October 2014, 73.0% of people aged from 16 to 64 were in work, up from 71.8% for a year earlier. The ONS figures also showed that there were 30.80 million people in work in the three-month period, 115,000 more than for the May-to-July period, driven by more people in full-time work.

The unemployment rate for August to October 2014 was 6.0%, down from 7.4% for a year earlier.

Go on, say something positive about the Coalition for once, it won't kill you :)
  • Options
    mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    Dont believe it for one second. In austerity people are losing their jobs. Our council is cutting their workforce and more to come. How on earth can it be going down! Its a Con(servative)
  • Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    MartinP wrote: »
    Perhaps you could find your way to applaud the new jobs created over the last year

For August to October 2014, 73.0% of people aged from 16 to 64 were in work, up from 71.8% for a year earlier. The ONS figures also showed that there were 30.80 million people in work in the three-month period, 115,000 more than for the May-to-July period, driven by more people in full-time work.

The unemployment rate for August to October 2014 was 6.0%, down from 7.4% for a year earlier.

Go on, say something positive about the Coalition for once, it won't kill you :)

Yet the benefit bill keeps increaseing, you would think with all these people in work and all these jobs created it would be falling, can only prove that the unemployed are not making the benefit increase as we keep getting told, the government has already said the housing benefit is going to keep increasing, and the important thing as these benefits people are claiming are means tested
  • Options
    gummy mummygummy mummy Posts: 26,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i posted the figures to show people the summary of the breakdown for folks who couldn't be bothered (or didn't have time) to dissect the figure of 9.06 million you posted.

I see, that's fair enough then, so thank you.

you're a labour voter? i'm puzzled, because i am sure you posted a few months ago that you have never voted. correct me if i'm wrong though.

your level of understanding does not correlate to the way you vote, so no, i am not implying anything.

I will happily correct you, I have not at any time said I have never voted, I have however said that the few times I have voted it has been for Labour, 1997 because I was sick of the Tories being in Government and in 2010 because I did not want the Tories back in to inflict more pain on the country..... that didn't work/
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,445
    Forum Member
    Sallyforth wrote: »
    Assuming of course that this increase in employment is made up of jobs that provide a reasonable standard of living?

A good number of these posts will short term, temporary (guess which season we're in now) part-time, minimum wage, zero hours and insecure. Osborne's left things too late for the economic feel good factor to be in place by May 2015.

Not only that, his 'even more cuts, small state' agenda (as revealed in the autumn statement) is not popular with members of the public either:

Two thirds of Britons do not support George Osborne's £30bn additional cuts
    A majority of people do not support George Osborne’s plan to carry on cutting after he has balanced the nation’s books, according to a new poll for The Independent. Some 30 per cent of people agree with the Chancellor’s strategy to reduce Government spending faster until the deficit is cleared and the budget is in surplus, even if this means severe cuts to public services, but 66 per cent disagree with this approach.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/two-thirds-of-britons-do-not-support-george-osbornes-30bn-additional-cuts-9926851.html?origin=internalSearch
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tim59 wrote: »
    Yet the benefit bill keeps increaseing, you would think with all these people in work and all these jobs created it would be falling, can only prove that the unemployed are not making the benefit increase as we keep getting told, the government has already said the housing benefit is going to keep increasing, and the important thing as these benefits people are claiming are means tested

Benefits may well be on the increase as most of them are uprated or matched with inflation and we have an ageing population. The government cannot just magic up better paying jobs, but hopefully those who are on lower wages will progress to higher paying jobs. Ultimately people are better off being employed than not. If unemployment were on the increase I'm sure you'd be complaining about that even more vociferously.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A good number of these posts will short term, temporary (guess which season we're in now) part-time, minimum wage, zero hours and insecure. Osborne's left things too late for the economic feel good factor to be in place by May 2015.

This old excuse again.
    1. The figures are seasonally adjusted.
    2. From the link The ONS figures also showed that there were 30.80 million people in work in the three-month period, 115,000 more than for the May-to-July period, driven by more people in full-time work.
  • Options
    TankyTanky Posts: 3,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps you could find your way to applaud the new jobs created over the last year.

There's nothing to applaud seriously, when around 4.6 million families receive tax credits. It's around 1.4 million families that are out of work and claiming, leaving around 3.2 million families in work and claiming tax credits.

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/guide-method/compendiums/compendium-of-uk-statistics/social-indicators/index.html

You can find the figures for out of work and in work families claiming, in the spreadsheet "Child and Working Tax Credits statistics finalised annual awards 2012 to 2013" of Table 1A. Note that if was revised on 10th Dec 2014, so it's still relevant.

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/personal-tax-credits-finalised-award-statistics-geographical-statistics-2012-to-2013

How is having millions of families requiring tax credits to support their families is a good thing?
  • Options
    AndyCopenAndyCopen Posts: 2,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At least they are trying to make a contribution, rather than sitting at home
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AndyCopen wrote: »
    At least they are trying to make a contribution, rather than sitting at home

They aren't really contributing when they don't earn more, as it's not taxable and the government are paying out money in tax credits.

Nor are some of these Zero hour contracts really helping people, they are exploiting the poor and not paying them a proper wage.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tanky wrote: »
    They aren't really contributing when they don't earn more, as it's not taxable and the government are paying out money in tax credits.

but they would be on the scrounge not working ? so at least they are getting out of bed
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Benefits may well be on the increase as most of them are uprated or matched with inflation and we have an ageing population. The government cannot just magic up better paying jobs, but hopefully those who are on lower wages will progress to higher paying jobs. Ultimately people are better off being employed than not. If unemployment were on the increase I'm sure you'd be complaining about that even more vociferously.

You mean the uk low wage economy, http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCgQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.theguardian.com%2Fbusiness%2F2014%2Foct%2F18%2Feconomy-bleak-british-workers-technology&ei=St-RVPyMC4qxUZ_HgMAM&usg=AFQjCNFtQbrJl-QGQWWig1dIgR8GEJ67Kw&bvm=bv.82001339,d.d24. And the NET average wage is down from £26,500 to £23500, IDS confirmed this on the 5 november. No they are not uprated or matched with inflation, n his Autumn Statement, Chancellor George Osborne announced plans to place a three-year cap of 1% on increases in most working-age benefits and tax credits from April 2013., and now are being froozen so no increase for any working age benefit. One of the biggest increases has been to people needing to claim the means tested housing benefit
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    but they would be on the scrounge not working ? so at least they are getting out of bed

However it does not give hope for people, to be able to get out of the continued situation of needing the support of the government in tax credits. Would you say a credit dependant society is a good thing? The people aren't able to leave this system and be self reliant.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    However it does not give hope for people, to be able to get out of the continued situation of needing the support of the government in tax credits. Would you say a credit dependant society is a good thing? The people aren't able to leave this system and be self reliant.

We just have to face facts that some people ae not very good at doing "stuff" that pays well, or that as a society we value some jobs more than others.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    We just have to face facts that some people ae not very good at doing "stuff" that pays well, or that as a society we value some jobs more than others.

Or its cheaper for corprates and buisness to get the work done cheaper abroad, Skilled people leaving the uk because they get paid better outside uk. Skills shortage The UK's chronic skills shortage is hampering productivity and holding back the economic recovery, business leaders believe.

Kevin Green, chief executive of the Recruitment and Employment Confederation (REC), whose members are "on the front line of the UK labour market" as he puts it, paints an alarming picture.

"Last year we had nine areas of skills shortages, now we have 43 areas. Every single type of engineering is in short supply, from mechanical to software, civil to electrical," says Mr Green.http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCgQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bbc.co.uk%2Fnews%2Fbusiness-30224320&ei=uuSRVMP7CsXoaLTxgMgB&usg=AFQjCNH5mmqtg5b-QnomShJIUi08QStd2A&bvm=bv.82001339,d.d2s
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,445
    Forum Member
    This old excuse again.
    1. The figures are seasonally adjusted.
    2. From the link The ONS figures also showed that there were 30.80 million people in work in the three-month period, 115,000 more than for the May-to-July period, driven by more people in full-time work.

However, those full time work posts may not be secure work and, upon independent inspection, I'd be willing to bet money that very many of those posts will be relatively low paid so that they employees concerned will have to apply for tax credits which are a de facto state jobs subsidy (not that Osborne or Cameron will admit that).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's true to some degree, but some people might just be trapped without the proper education or training. I don't see any progress in helping people to be able to get jobs in higher paying roles.

A bigger problem is oversaturation, with not having enough well paid jobs for people, as there are far too many qualified people for a certain job. We are overly pumping people into Universities and now apprenticeships.

Another issue is the mass immigration of people settling in the UK and driving up the welfare bill but also more people trying to get jobs. They also drive down wages by working cheaper. An issue, no one even touches on and the coalition government has failed to correct.
  • Options
    LandisLandis Posts: 14,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Why do we pay carers looking after the very elderly minimum wage?

I don't want a UKIP govt but I can see that it would be "educational" for so many people. The morning after the GE, all the carers are given an air ticket to go home. The afternoon after the GE, an ambulance will pull up at your house "delivering" your elderly relatives.

Who did you think was going to look after them?

In no time at all you will "remember" why the job is so difficult and why you chose not to take on the task. Not even for £15 an hour.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tim59 wrote: »
    Or its cheaper for corprates and buisness to get the work done cheaper abroad, Skilled people leaving the uk because they get paid better outside uk. Skills shortage The UK's chronic skills shortage is hampering productivity and holding back the economic recovery, business leaders believe.

Kevin Green, chief executive of the Recruitment and Employment Confederation (REC), whose members are "on the front line of the UK labour market" as he puts it, paints an alarming picture.

"Last year we had nine areas of skills shortages, now we have 43 areas. Every single type of engineering is in short supply, from mechanical to software, civil to electrical," says Mr Green.http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCgQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bbc.co.uk%2Fnews%2Fbusiness-30224320&ei=uuSRVMP7CsXoaLTxgMgB&usg=AFQjCNH5mmqtg5b-QnomShJIUi08QStd2A&bvm=bv.82001339,d.d2s

Well since we have a population that has grown by 10 million since Labour let the drawbridge down, I would suggest that people are not getting trained in the right skills

Labour pushed everyone into doing degrees in media studies to make the stats look better
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well since we have a population that has grown by 10 million since Labour let the drawbridge down, I would suggest that people are not getting trained in the right skills

Labour pushed everyone into doing degrees in media studies to make the stats look better

Only labour? David Cameron has pledged there will be ‘no limit’ to the number of students from India who can study in the UK and then stay on to find work, and the tories have been getting more people to go to uni and get the degrees, and the more that do the more you force down wages as there is no shortage of people to do these jobs, supply and demand over supply forcing down the value, the reverse of the housing market were the supply is being kept at min supply to keep value price high
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

And the top 25 employable skills of this year. These are all skills that lead to quality jobs with good salaries and future prospects.

http://www.cityam.com/205866/these-are-top-25-most-employable-skills-2014-according-linkedin
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    but on the one hand you are saying
    "Last year we had nine areas of skills shortages, now we have 43 areas. Every single type of engineering is in short supply, from mechanical to software, civil to electrical,"

and then

"here is no shortage of people to do these jobs, supply and demand over supply forcing down the value,"

which is a contridiction.

We have a surplus of people who are not very good at doing stuff, so as long as they can read road signs, give the correct change for a burger, we need to give them a helping hand
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also the Conservatives plan to make more money from the higher tuition fees are backfiring on them, as the amount of money being repaid is not enough. Plus they have been championing universities, and how great the education is. The university system is failing but they haven't done anything to sort it out.

They are now sending vast amounts of people into apprenticeships, in hope of that working out.

Unless they truly have a proper regulation of education and proper certification of courses, that means they were taught or trained properly and are up to industry standards, it just another way for them to fudge the figures of unemployment and generating further people going into low income.
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's true to some degree, but some people might just be trapped without the proper education or training. I don't see any progress in helping people to be able to get jobs in higher paying roles.

A bigger problem is oversaturation, with not having enough well paid jobs for people, as there are far too many qualified people for a certain job. We are overly pumping people into Universities and now apprenticeships.

Another issue is the mass immigration of people settling in the UK and driving up the welfare bill but also more people trying to get jobs. They also drive down wages by working cheaper. An issue, no one even touches on and the coalition government has failed to correct.

If people wanted to improve their skills and make themselves more employable, they could. The Internet has made this easier and less expensive than ever.