Options

Bookie stops taking bets on Queen announcing abdication soon

HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
Forum Member
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2542999/Windsor-wager-halts-royal-bets-200-stake-placed-Queen-abdicate-year-sees-bookmaker-suspend-market.html

Apparently a "large" bet made in the Windsor area prompted bookies to stop taking bets on the Queen abdicating in 2015 after an announcement in her christmas speech because big bets placed on royal matters in Windsor are usually spot on and a leak of information is suspected..

Personally I hope its not true and is just the Daily Mail.

Comments

• Options
    lea27lea27 Posts: 11,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I too hope this isn't true.
  • Options
    gregrichardsgregrichards Posts: 4,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2542999/Windsor-wager-halts-royal-bets-200-stake-placed-Queen-abdicate-year-sees-bookmaker-suspend-market.html

Apparently a "large" bet made in the Windsor area prompted bookies to stop taking bets on the Queen abdicating in 2015 after an announcement in her christmas speech because big bets placed on royal matters in Windsor are usually spot on and a leak of information is suspected..

I hope it is not true as well but what happens if the Queen develops dementia or another dreadful illness and can no longer carry out her role? I would not criticise any decision for her majesty to remain queen of state but not acting queen if she can no longer continue to cope with the physical demands.
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    No doubt her best mate will be on here soon to let us all know what's going on;-)
  • Options
    DangerBrotherDangerBrother Posts: 1,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think its a good time for her to sit back and give her crown jewels a rest
  • Options
    neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That would be a bet worth taking. Unless the Queen has a complete personality/beliefs change she will not break her coronation oath.
  • Options
    SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    Acc to another newpaper yesterday it was a suspicious pattern of bets not one large bet that triggered the suspension of bets on it. A palace spokesman reportedly laughed out loud at the idea, and at the rumours that HM would announce her abdication in the Christmas Day broadcast pointing out that the message is broadcast around the world at suitable local times and that if it were true the abdication would be announced first in Tuvula in the Sth Pacific, not London.

Can't see it happening, not this year.
  • Options
    TUCTUC Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    I hope it is not true as well but what happens if the Queen develops dementia or another dreadful illness and can no longer carry out her role? I would not criticise any decision for her majesty to remain queen of state but not acting queen if she can no longer continue to cope with the physical demands.

The same challenges and risks that het predeccessors faced. Why should we expect the Quern to have to react diffetently should any such issue arise?
  • Options
    SpotSpot Posts: 25,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Given that the Christmas message is pre-recorded several days in advance and seen by quite a number of people in the broadcasting world before it is transmitted, this doesn't seem a very likely way for any such announcement to be made.
  • Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    She won't quit. She's going for Victoria's record as longest reigning monarch.
  • Options
    SpotSpot Posts: 25,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    idlewilde wrote: »

Absolutely, only about nine months to go now. :)
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    idlewilde wrote: »

She is indeed - and that Mail article linked to, is nearly a year old anyway. Dated 21.1.14. No mention is made of 2015. The speculation applied to 2014, and it hasn't happened.

I think she beats Victoria's record on 9th September 2015.
  • Options
    Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    She is indeed - and that Mail article linked to, is nearly a year old anyway. Dated 21.1.14. No mention is made of 2015. The speculation applied to 2014, and it hasn't happened.

I think she beats Victoria's record on 9th September 2015.

I'm not sure why the OP has posted a link from January - this recent story about the Queen is slightly different in that several people have recently placed bets that she will announce her abdication in her Christmas message. The message has already been recorded so some are thinking that it's those in the know who have placed the bets. I hope there's nothing in it, and to be honest I doubt she would announce something like that in a recorded message.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Miss XYZ wrote: »
    I'm not sure why the OP has posted a link from January - this recent story about the Queen is slightly different in that several people have recently placed bets that she will announce her abdication in her Christmas message. The message has already been recorded so some are thinking that it's those in the know who have placed the bets. I hope there's nothing in it, and to be honest I doubt she would announce something like that in a recorded message.

Well, I'd be surprised if she abdicated to be honest, especially with the record breaking time on the throne so close by.

More likely a hint of an abdication sometime in the future.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    She will not abdicate, it's a dirty word to her.
  • Options
    HarrisonMarksHarrisonMarks Posts: 4,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

By a bloke with big ears called Charles.
  • Options
    culturemancultureman Posts: 11,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She should have abdicated when the old Queen Mother 'job' became available.
  • Options
    EvieJEvieJ Posts: 6,039
    Forum Member
    By a bloke with big ears called Charles.

:D:D :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cultureman wrote: »
    She should have abdicated when the old Queen Mother 'job' became available.
    The Queen Regnant can't become the Queen Dowager.
  • Options
    culturemancultureman Posts: 11,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    neelia wrote: »
    The Queen Regnant can't become the Queen Dowager.

The Royal family has always created new 'traditions' when it deemed it necessary or desirable.
  • Options
    spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Queen would not announce her Abdication in a recorded message on christmas day , she may mention she will be handing over some of her work load to charlie and the younger royals but she will stick to the oath she swore when she became our Queen
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spookyLX wrote: »
    The Queen would not announce her Abdication in a recorded message on christmas day , she may mention she will be handing over some of her work load to charlie and the younger royals but she will stick to the oath she swore when she became our Queen

Maybe that's what it's all about.
  • Options
    CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Queen finished when Freddy died.
  • Options
    TerraCanisTerraCanis Posts: 14,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

In the case of George III, a similar situation led to the Regency.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cultureman wrote: »
    The Royal family has always created new 'traditions' when it deemed it necessary or desirable.

Not as radical as that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TerraCanis wrote: »
    In the case of George III, a similar situation led to the Regency.

I would reckon that there are very few of HM's duties that couldn't be delegated. Not sure about opening parliament. Maybe if it got to that point we would need a Regency.