Options

Dumbed down questions on celebrity game shows

The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
Forum Member
✭✭
I know it's all for charity but do we really have to have these zelebs turning up and being spoon fed a load of dumb simple questions? Why do they do this? Is it so the charities stand a better chance of getting some money or are do the agents insist that their clients don't look stupid on television?

Comments

• Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I assume you realise that when they say they're doing it for charity they still get paid but the money does indeed go to charity?
  • Options
    rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Celebrity games shows are always dumbed down as the host and in the case of The Chase, the chaser behave differently.
  • Options
    Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,408
    Forum Member
    The recent Celebrity Pointless shows seem to be using "normal" Pointless questions - not "easy" ones.
    But maybe geared at subjects the Celebrities are more likely to know so they don't look completely dumb. No chemical elements etc
  • Options
    pearlsandplumspearlsandplums Posts: 29,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw a celeb version of the chase. The question was what colour are the simpsons? The chaser said purple
  • Options
    human naturehuman nature Posts: 13,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some celebs are a bit, erm, lacking in all-round general knowledge.

My favourite was the Coronation Street actress (whose name escapes me) who was asked which monarch was sitting on the throne at the turn of the 19th to the 20th century. She said Margaret Thatcher - and was genuinely surprised when the host asked if she was sure that was the answer she wanted to give.
  • Options
    mikebukmikebuk Posts: 18,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dumbed down, but usually still not enough. I was surprised that Ben Miller scored the fewest in Celebrity Chase last night.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    I assume you realise that when they say they're doing it for charity they still get paid but the money does indeed go to charity?

Which makes me wonder why certain shows are in favour of using celebs all the time instead of members of the public like Family Fortunes for example. Surely it's got to be cheaper to give the money to a member of the public than to pay a celebrity and still give the money away. Maybe there's some kind of charity tax dodge going on or maybe it's all about viewing figures and celebs draw in bigger audiences.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw a celeb version of the chase. The question was what colour are the simpsons? The chaser said purple

Yes it's pretty obvious it's a fix when the Chaser deliberately gets an easy question wrong on purpose. It so annoys me. It's bad enough that they make the questions easier for these jokers but then they have to fix them into winning by getting easy questions wrong on purpose.
  • Options
    grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pointless Celebrities - where the jackpot is £2,500 Wonder why the celebs even bother to turn up for such a trivial amount! Compare this with the Chase, or any ITV show.

Yet the BBC squander money on taxis, executive salaries, junkets, etc!
  • Options
    grauniadgrauniad Posts: 7,987
    Forum Member
    Not just on celebrity shows. The Chase throws in silly 'answers' in the choice of three, making it easier for contestants. It's one of the few shows where you can guess your way through the first part, and ride on the back of the team in the second part, and win a lot of money never having a clue as to any answers.
  • Options
    bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grumpyscot wrote: »
    Pointless Celebrities - where the jackpot is £2,500 Wonder why the celebs even bother to turn up for such a trivial amount! Compare this with the Chase, or any ITV show.

The benefit to the charities is not how much they win on the programme but the publicity that they hope will get them more donations from the public.

The ITV shows work on a different model which is that if they give away bigger prizes that increases their viewing figures and hence advertising income. ITV have pretty much always given away bigger prizes than BBC whether celebrity versions or normal.

I don't understand why the bigger prizes should increase popularity but clearly successive ITV bosses who understand this better than I know it does.
  • Options
    bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Wizard wrote: »
    Which makes me wonder why certain shows are in favour of using celebs all the time instead of members of the public like Family Fortunes for example. Surely it's got to be cheaper to give the money to a member of the public than to pay a celebrity and still give the money away. Maybe there's some kind of charity tax dodge going on or maybe it's all about viewing figures and celebs draw in bigger audiences.

Are they really paid? If so that sucks, I'd assumed they were doing it for nothing - the publicity will be good for them which is fair enough but not direct payment.
  • Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,810
    Forum Member
    rfonzo wrote: »
    Celebrity games shows are always dumbed down as the host and in the case of The Chase, the chaser behave differently.
    Says you with no proof. In two recent "celeb" editions, the Chaser won one and lost the other. Shouldn't they have lost both? :(
    grumpyscot wrote: »
    Yet the BBC squander money on taxis, executive salaries, junkets, etc!
    Oh don't start with this often-debunked nonsense here :(
    Yes it's pretty obvious it's a fix when the Chaser deliberately gets an easy question wrong on purpose.
    Prove it. Just because YOU knew the answer does not make the question "easy". Such arrogance.
    Some celebs are a bit, erm, lacking in all-round general knowledge.
    As are some "normal" people. Like me, for example. Of course, celebs are also just normal people who may or may not have done well in school.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Says you with no proof. In two recent "celeb" editions, the Chaser won one and lost the other. Shouldn't they have lost both? :(

Oh don't start with this often-debunked nonsense here :(

Prove it. Just because YOU knew the answer does not make the question "easy". Such arrogance.

As are some "normal" people. Like me, for example. Of course, celebs are also just normal people who may or may not have done well in school.

I don't need to prove it. When you have a question such as "what colour are The Simpsons?" and the chaser is Mark Labette who is not only a school teacher so very much in touch with stuff like this but is a known cult tv fan I find it impossible to believe he would get such a simple question wrong seeing as most people with half a braincell would get such a question right. It does question whether the chasers are deliberately giving the celebrities a winning chance.
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    The Celebrity Mastermind questions are blatantly dumbed down to flatter the shallow intelligence of the 'celebrities', most of whom I've never heard of.
  • Options
    Misanthropy_83Misanthropy_83 Posts: 2,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    why celebrity editions of gameshows aren't worth watching
  • Options
    PortliusPortlius Posts: 79
    Forum Member
    Just to contradict The Wizard, it wasn't Mark Labbett who got the Simpsons question wrong, it was Shaun Wallace..
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Celebrity Mastermind questions are blatantly dumbed down to flatter the shallow intelligence of the 'celebrities', most of whom I've never heard of.

The celebrities vary, just like the rest of the population. Some do well and some don't.

I am sure most of them have never heard of you either.
  • Options
    shankly123shankly123 Posts: 598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I only watch Pointless and I can't see any evidence that the questions are 'dumbed down' on the celebrity episodes.
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    lundavra wrote: »
    The celebrities vary, just like the rest of the population. Some do well and some don't.

I am sure most of them have never heard of you either.

Aww, defending the lickle 'celebs'?

If you believe the questions on Celebrity Mastermind aren't made easier for the 'celebrities' then clearly you've never seen the programme.
  • Options
    sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think that generally the question are more easier but then it's only an "easy" question if you know the answer....
  • Options
    Daniel_GleeballDaniel_Gleeball Posts: 629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know it's all for charity but do we really have to have these zelebs turning up and being spoon fed a load of dumb simple questions? Why do they do this? Is it so the charities stand a better chance of getting some money or are do the agents insist that their clients don't look stupid on television?

I would say very much the later. You want as near to being A list celebrity's as possible appearing, and that would not happen if they were humiliated publicly on celebrity quiz/ game shows.
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would say very much the later. You want as near to being A list celebrity's as possible appearing, and that would not happen if they were humiliated publicly on celebrity quiz/ game shows.

You want A-listers, but what you get are people who were in Casualty or Eastenders 20 years ago you'd completely forgotten about :)
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rfonzo wrote: »

Yeah, I've noticed quite a few times that the Chaser has threw the game by making it look as if they being able to answer questions that they would have no doubt been able to answer had the game show not been the charity version. They try their best to make it look convincing though.
  • Options
    Daniel_GleeballDaniel_Gleeball Posts: 629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »
    You want A-listers, but what you get are people who were in Casualty or Eastenders 20 years ago you'd completely forgotten about :)

Very true.
    They had Barry from East Enders to prove your point. He was very good.
    They had Barry Mcguigan on it. He is still a respected name in boxing. At least you would recognise him and Barry if you saw them. Most of the other so called celebs you have to google them just to have a clue who they are, and what are they famous for.