Options

Chromecast

Comments

• Options
    gdog38gdog38 Posts: 106
    Forum Member
    Will there be more apps coming out for chromecast eventally.

Thanks
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gdog38 wrote: »
    Will there be more apps coming out for chromecast eventally.

Thanks

I'd have thought so. I always have a random google around every few months to see if there's anything new out or if anything has had casting ability added.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    We have to wait until more apps support chromecast then
  • Options
    x6461x6461 Posts: 191
    Forum Member
    Eurosport Player should be coming to Chromecast soon,I asked them about it coming to Roku and this was the response they sent.

"Thank you for contacting the Eurosport Player customer support.

We're getting back to you regarding the Eurosport services and compatible devices.

Please kindly be advised that the requested Roku device is not compatible with the Player Eurosport.

However, please be advised that from your current location you should be able to access the Eurosport Player from:

- From your PC or MAC.

- Iphone, Ipad,Ipod.

- Android phone and tablet.

-Panasonic Viera TV

-LG smart TV version 2012

- Samsung Connected TV

- Xbox One and 360

Also, we would like to inform you that the Eurosport Player will be compatible with Chromecast services by the beginning of January 2015.

Should you need further information, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best regards,

The Eurosport Player Team"
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,834
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Recently some games have launched for Chromecast, including Simon Says, Connect 4 and Wheel of Fortune.

http://chrome.blogspot.co.uk/2014/11/introducing-fun-family-games-for.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got the monopoly game for chromecast on my iPhone. it certainly won't tax the brain but its a nice little time killer for 10 minutes
  • Options
    Forum Member
    When will tv player have chromecast support.

Thanks.
  • Options
    ovbgovbg Posts: 1,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When will tv player have chromecast support.

Thanks.

Despite their website once claiming Spring 2014, the last time I pressed them on this issue they were saying there are no definite plans.

That said, they do have a great Amazon Fire TV app. One options would be to wait until the cheaper Fire TV stick launches in the UK, then grab one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oh well. If tv player dosent support chromecast, i guess i have to wait for more tv apps. I downloaded Flim On Tv for chromecast but had to uninstall it as the picture was rubbish. Crackle app i cant find on my Samsung Galaxy Android tablet. So i am waiting for 4OD, ITV Player and 5 on damand. I already have I Player. Netfix by the way is on my PS3.

Any advise on 4OD, 5 on demand and ITV player.

Thanks.
  • Options
    ovbgovbg Posts: 1,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sure, grab yourself a £10 Now TV box until they arrive on Chromecast.

You don't need a Sky subscription. You do need a Sky account, but they don't hassle you.

£10 is nothing for what this box offers (it even comes with an HDMI cable, so you effectively have a new HDMI cable with a free streaming box). It has iPlayer, 4oD, Demand 5 and ITV Player and will suffice until Chromecast supports them all.
  • Options
    ClusterbombedClusterbombed Posts: 234
    Forum Member
    Crackle app i cant find on my Samsung Galaxy Android tablet.

Crackle closed down their UK operations earlier in the year
  • Options
    chrisbartleychrisbartley Posts: 1,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Recently some games have launched for Chromecast, including Simon Says, Connect 4 and Wheel of Fortune
    Also "Big Web Quiz" ....
    A nice idea, multi player game, - if moving screen on mobile device doesn't send to mad
    But how bizarre are some of the questions, too many have to be wild guesses to be much fun + of course its too US based ( need to be able to tailor questions to your country/land mass
  • Options
    chrisbartleychrisbartley Posts: 1,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The recent update to the ChromeCast app now add a Cast Screen option

But on my two devices I get a warning that
    "screen casting is not optimised for the device, - your experience may vary"
    Moving past that I get the normal Chromecast "Connect to Device" window, after searching for chromecasts it reports "No compatible googlecast devices were found on your network" - I take that to mean the Chromecast dongle itself ?

But its there on the nework OK and I can cast Youtube, Big Web Quiz etc to it just fine !

Does "cast screen" work for anyone else
  • Options
    tom558tom558 Posts: 547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We have to wait until more apps support chromecast then

Install this and have a look...
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=goko.gcs&hl=en
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the link. Downloaded it and i cant believe there are exiting apps for chromecast, some arent avaliabe in the UK but i just hope there are more to come...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 64
    Forum Member
    I understand the buisiness reasons why, but it's so frustrating that the Chromecast doesn't have Chrome and the upcoming Firefox stick won't have Firefox. If one of these sticks came with a broswer, flash/silverlight plugins and a zoom text function, I'd buy in an instant.

If something like that took off, you could have the individual services putting their resources into "large screen" versions of their websites (like they do with mobile websites) rather than spending months developing apps for every individual new gadget.
  • Options
    millimole2001millimole2001 Posts: 342
    Forum Member
    I understand the buisiness reasons why, but it's so frustrating that the Chromecast doesn't have Chrome and the upcoming Firefox stick won't have Firefox. If one of these sticks came with a broswer, flash/silverlight plugins and a zoom text function, I'd buy in an instant.

If something like that took off, you could have the individual services putting their resources into "large screen" versions of their websites (like they do with mobile websites) rather than spending months developing apps for every individual new gadget.

You can do that with Apple TV - it will 'cast' via Apple Play anything on your screen to your TV.
    The selection of apps native to Apple TV is however pretty dire. Most of my connected apps are through a Samsung Blu-Ray player. ( I recently invested in a Chromecast and have been underwhelmed)
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I understand the buisiness reasons why, but it's so frustrating that the Chromecast doesn't have Chrome and the upcoming Firefox stick won't have Firefox. ..

The FireTV promotes its app store so obviously should have Firefox too.
    Best of the bunch?
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,834
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can do that with Apple TV - it will 'cast' via Apple Play anything on your screen to your TV.

You can cast your screen to a Chromecast from many Android phones/tablets, or cast directly from the Chrome browser on any PC/Mac.
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    The FireTV promotes its app store so obviously should have Firefox too.
    Best of the bunch?

Only a selection of apps are available for Amazon's FireTV, unfortunately Firefox isn't one of them.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/b?node=2989528031
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hi all.

I started this thread.

So i was wondering what to people think of the new google chromecast service. I think its brillient with loads of apps and it make apple tv a dead duck in the water. Thats just my reasons.

I want peoples suggestions and reveiws.

Thanks...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I own a chromecast and it really, really doesn't make Apple TV a "dead duck in the water".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can cast your screen to a Chromecast from many Android phones/tablets, or cast directly from the Chrome browser on any PC/Mac.
    Only a selection of apps are available for Amazon's FireTV, unfortunately Firefox isn't one of them.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/b?node=2989528031

Surely it will install with the sideload box ticked ?

I imagine they are not there because you also need to connect your own keyboard.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 64
    Forum Member

Not what I was talking about at all. I was talking about one of these sticks having a native browser, not casting from a secondary unnecessary device.
  • Options
    millimole2001millimole2001 Posts: 342
    Forum Member
    I own a chromecast and it really, really doesn't make Apple TV a "dead duck in the water".

I tend to agree - the downfall of the Apple TV is the lack of available apps. While anything can be air-played its not quite the same thing.
    The Apple TV -for me at least - is rock solid in that it never needs rebooting, never loses its connection, and delivers seamless video and audio.
    My (relatively new) Chromecast dongle seems tose it's connection to the nearby router, and delivers audio & video that stutters. Of course I'm still experimenting with the set-up and connection, but I shouldn't need to - I didn't with the Apple TV.
    While the Apple TV is locked into the iOS Eco-system, Chromecast is 'happy' with my Android phone and my iPad.
    No clear winner yet!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the subject of just the basic casting, you can also buy Miracast dongles for a tenner.