Options

Are private schools really better?

Comments

• Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not round here.
    we still have grammar schools. They regularly out perform the local private schools.
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan29 wrote: »
    Not round here.
    we still have grammar schools. They regularly out perform the local private schools.

There a private schools and there are private school. Some are at the peak of excellence academically and no one gets there children in without they pass stiff entrance exams .they rigorously maintain that. Then there are private schools that are more of a label really. The education received at these schools is as diverse as any comp.
    however one common factor is discipline. And a wider rage of non academic subjects.
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My daughter is at our local public school on a scholarship/bursary.

My daughter's school has very high standards and tends to push the pupils very hard in terms of school/home work. They have to engage in at least 2 school clubs, one of them must be after school, they get 3 hours homework every night even on after school club nights so my daughter is sometimes still doing her homework at 9pm after starting after her tea.

Is the teaching better...yes but not because the teacher is better, more because the disruptive element of a school is minimal.

Saying all that, my son goes to a local high school and because he is in all the top sets (he has been identified as being in the top 5% of pupils predicted to achieve A-A* GCSE) there is minimal disruption anyway.
  • Options
    The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UncleLou wrote: »
    I wouldn't rate Durham with Oxbridge. In the finance sector where I work, we mainly look at cvs from Oxbridge, Warwick, Imperial and Bristol. Most of the ones we select from those universities, came through the state schools.

Just going to those places, won't get you a well paid job. We look at A levels too and prefer that their good A grades were achieved at state schools. We don't stuggle to find these people as they start on 40k plus bonus and perks.

Durham is very much seen as the 'poor Man's' Oxbridge and has an excellent reputation. It is also part of the Russell Group, as are the other institutions you name in your post.
    Xela M wrote: »
    I think your examples are the exception to the rule. I have not seen or heard of anything remotely similar happen at any of the private schools members of my family or friends attended. All turned out to be very respectable members of society and all went to university (obviously it still remains to be seen with my daughter).

I work at a private school and the of the alumni that I know - one had a mental breakdown after taking too many drugs, one is a Doctor and the other one is long term unemployed. I don't think you can generalize too much about people and their backgrounds/standard of education tbh.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I work at a private school and the of the alumni that I know - one had a mental breakdown after taking too many drugs, one is a Doctor and the other one is long term unemployed. I don't think you can generalize too much about people and their backgrounds/standard of education tbh.

You are right that it really all depends on the nature of the child in terms of whether or not they are going to be successful. However, I believe that public schools tend to be a lot better at nurturing which can have a positive impact on nature. Some certainly don't respond to nurture!
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,576
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't rate Durham with Oxbridge.

Everyone else would :D

Durham is up there amongst the higher ranked Universities.

In the finance sector where I work, we mainly look at cvs from Oxbridge, Warwick, Imperial and Bristol. Most of the ones we select from those universities, came through the state schools.

Can't comment on Finance, but that seems a pretty restrictive list? - and what's Bristol doing on it? :D - as it's currently ranked 18th (Durham is 5th, Imperial 6th and Warwick 7th).
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    djfunnyman wrote: »
    Is a public school a boarding school? From what I've heard about boarding schools, they are very dodgy and the teachers are mainly pervy older men

In the UK at least, a public school is a very posh boarding school like Eton or Harrow (not sure what the equivalent school for girls would be; nearest I can think of is somewhere like Cheltenham Ladies' College), but in the US the term public school means state school.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    my first husband boarded at prep from the age of seven or eight followed by public school, he was severely fvcked up by it in my opinion.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Everyone else would :D

Durham is up there amongst the higher ranked Universities.

Can't comment on Finance, but that seems a pretty restrictive list? - and what's Bristol doing on it? :D - as it's currently ranked 18th (Durham is 5th, Imperial 6th and Warwick 7th).

Maybe the ties aren't right? ;-)
  • Options
    MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    my first husband boarded at prep from the age of seven or eight followed by public school, he was fvcked up by it in my opinion.

I know a few ex boarders of our kind of age, I think we are roughly similar, and yes, I've known this happen too. They're kinder, more caring places these days, and it's also nowhere near as popular. Well over 90% of private places are for day kids. Neither of my kids boarded. We used to have the boarders to stay at the weekends, lots of families did, if their parents were overseas, either British or sent their kids to board from Hong Kong, or Korea or some such. I didn't meet any that have been screwed up by the more recent boarding experience.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    MAW wrote: »
    I know a few ex boarders of our kind of age, I think we are roughly similar, and yes, I've known this happen too. They're kinder, more caring places these days, and it's also nowhere near as popular. Well over 90% of private places are for day kids. Neither of my kids boarded. We used to have the boarders to stay at the weekends, lots of families did, if their parents were overseas, either British or sent their kids to board from Hong Kong, or Korea or some such. I didn't meet any that have been screwed up by the more recent boarding experience.

i think children were often sent off for convenience more than education, certainly for my ex he was punted around school friends and his grandparents out of term time, i don`t think he saw his mother again after the age of seven and very little of his father until he left school.

he`s a cold fish and never wanted anything to do with his children after we split, he would ignore them in the street but my heart still breaks for him when i think of his shitty childhood, he can`t really help it. it was basically being put in care for posh kids.
  • Options
    The FBIThe FBI Posts: 2,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If we can afford it, baby FBI will go to a private school. Not as a boarder tho
  • Options
    ChristaChrista Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't rate Durham with Oxbridge. In the finance sector where I work, we mainly look at cvs from Oxbridge, Warwick, Imperial and Bristol. Most of the ones we select from those universities, came through the state schools.

Just going to those places, won't get you a well paid job. We look at A levels too and prefer that their good A grades were achieved at state schools. We don't stuggle to find these people as they start on 40k plus bonus and perks.

Eh? Durham is Russell Group and is only just below Oxbridge in the uni rankings - obviously there are different tables but on any of them Durham is way above Bristol.

My sister works in finance and I work for one of the oldest antiques auction houses, I don't recognise this approach to recruiting. We're looking for straight A*s & As or the international equivalent, and top international unis including Russell Group in the UK.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    All things considered. Private schools are far better.
  • Options
    ChristaChrista Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    All things considered. Private schools are far better.

There are some really rubbish private schools. My BIL went to an old public school not known for its academic rigour, and he seems to have spent most of his time watching TV and playing football. He could have done that for free.
  • Options
    MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    Christa wrote: »
    There are some really rubbish private schools. My BIL went to an old public school not known for its academic rigour, and he seems to have spent most of his time watching TV and playing football. He could have done that for free.

Sadly, that does sound a bit grim:o There are a few bad apples. However, quite a few of the less academic ones are actually achieving good things for less academic kids. The world is not populated by straight A students, there are good schools for dyslexics, sporting heroes, and the simply Tim, nice but dims of this world. Obviously, they are not going to make Oxbridge, Durham, a career in hedge funds, nor at a top auction house. They may well still have the max extracted from them, which has to be good.
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,576
    Forum Member
    Christa wrote: »
    Eh? Durham is Russell Group and is only just below Oxbridge in the uni rankings - obviously there are different tables but on any of them Durham is way above Bristol.

My sister works in finance and I work for one of the oldest antiques auction houses, I don't recognise this approach to recruiting.

A few years ago I was talking to a retired guy (I was fitting a TV for him), he had a Chemistry degree, and later a Business degree as well - and was involved more in the business side later on.

Part of his job was employing new graduates - and he was inundated by applications, so used a simple method to whittle the list down to more manageable proportions.

So his approach was to 'throw out' any applications from Uni's he hadn't heard of :D

Obviously Durham would have easily passed this test, as one of the oldest Uni's and ranked so highly.
  • Options
    djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In terms of uni's, every city seems to have an upper class uni and a more middle/lowet class uni. In Nottingham the University of Nottingham is snobby and upper class and Trent Uni is a more laid back partying uni
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Just look at the BBC. It is stuffed with privately educated people whose mummies and daddies coughed up the cash to get them a massive advantage for the rest of their lives.

I'd ban private schools in an instant.

I went to a private school. I am neither a snob (although I do wish Prince Harry would dress appropriately :D) nor did my parents cough up cash - it was an assisted place (paid for by the government) and then, at sixth form, a scholarship.
    I will concede that the facilities were excellent and that the teachers were very good - both academically and from a pastoral point of view.
    Perhaps contrary to the stereotypes, bullying was in no way tolerated, and bad behaviour was stamped out very quickly, We had respect for the teachers, not because they instilled fear, but because they respected the pupils and gave them any special attention they needed.
    And that's not to say that doesn't happen in state schools, either - many are as good as, and indeed better than, some private schools.

I certainly wouldn't ban them - that's cutting off ones nose to spite ones face. I would, however, encourage them to work with other local state schools to spread good practice.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Judging by the sociopaths who come out of private schools and head into the corporate and political world, making life miserable for others, I'd say no, it isn't better.

And judging the majority that don't?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Their teachers can help them with their A level exams to get what their parents paid for, but they can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear. They will only achieve the same level in their working life, as their parents did.

They will achieved a level in their working life commensurate with the level of effort they put in both during education and during their career.
  • Options
    attitude99attitude99 Posts: 14,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    I went to a private school. I am neither a snob (although I do wish Prince Harry would dress appropriately :D) nor did my parents cough up cash - it was an assisted place (paid for by the government) and then, at sixth form, a scholarship.
    I will concede that the facilities were excellent and that the teachers were very good - both academically and from a pastoral point of view.
    Perhaps contrary to the stereotypes, bullying was in no way tolerated, and bad behaviour was stamped out very quickly, We had respect for the teachers, not because they instilled fear, but because they respected the pupils and gave them any special attention they needed.

There's a few teachers like that in my school, except they are mostly science teachers. The health & social care teachers love the sounds of their own voices & treat us pupils like 5 year olds, plus they are always telling us to be quiet even though we're talking & working at the same time. Work is always handed in on time so I really don't see the problem the teachers have.

I guess bullying isn't tolerated in my school either, but it still goes on. Tell the right teacher about it & it's usually sorted within the school day.
  • Options
    LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In terms of uni's, every city seems to have an upper class uni and a more middle/lowet class uni. In Nottingham the University of Nottingham is snobby and upper class and Trent Uni is a more laid back partying uni

I think Trent used to be Nottingham Polytechnic. Lots of places had a uni and a poly, and when polytechnics were allowed to become universities, many of them had to change their names to avoid confusion.
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Both my nephews went through State school education. The elder brother ended up at Oxford while his younger brother went to Cambridge, mainly because he didn't want to be seen as copying his older brother...even though both now work in Finance.

The elder brother paid his own way through his Masters degree as by then he'd earned more than enough to finance it.

Actually i feel sorry for kids whose parents buy them an education at some fancy Private school in the naive belief that intelligence can be bought off the shelf.
  • Options
    Danny_GirlDanny_Girl Posts: 2,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    While most of the countries sucsessful politicians and economists were privately educated, do private schools really provide better education? I'd say no, there are lots of kids from private schools who I have to share a bus with and they seem very rude and snobby. While private schools provide better oppourtunities in terms of trips, people educated in public schools seem to be much more rounded individuals

On the whole yes, otherwise they would not exist. There are examples of fantastic state schools (usually selective ones) that out perform many private schools but I would say pretty well all private schools gain better results than average state schools. You only have to look at the percentage of privately educated kids in top universities to see the benefit they give. Smaller class sizes, better teachers (on average), extra curricular activities, support in applying to universities, higher expectations from parents/teachers and peers all develop confidence and the desire to excel academically. That said my daughter went to a crap state school and get a string on A*/A results at GCSE and A2 and is now at a really good UNI so you don't have to be privately educated to succeed.