Options

Bookie stops taking bets on Queen announcing abdication soon

Comments

• Options
    SpotSpot Posts: 25,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    I think she'll only abdicate if her health forces her to. If she stays in good health, I think she'll carry on until her time comes.

There is no need for her to do that if her health fails - she will simply delegate her duties, which is beginning to happen anyway.

She will be Queen for the rest of her life.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep. Big fan of anyone who thinks they have been given a very easy life because they are 'chosen by god' :D

The day we get rid of royalty will be a day to be proud of. Sadly i think i'll be worm food.

God to one side I wouldn't say I would like to have their life as I don't see it as easy, they may have wealth but with that does not come ease . Personally I would rather have a monarchy in its current form than a President which would cost as much, as much of the events that surround monarchy such as the pomp and pageantry we would still have as a republic as that pomp and tradition brings in tourism and money
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Richard46 wrote: »
    Being Monarch does not actually involve doing anything so there is no need for her to abdicate however old or incapacitated the Monarch becomes. Being alive and being the first born of the previous incumbent is the only requirement.

Are you really saying that Her Majesty has no duties whatsoever.
  • Options
    Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,834
    Forum Member
    SULLA wrote: »
    Are you really saying that Her Majesty has no duties whatsoever.

That is correct. Hereditary Monarchs occupy their position on the basis of their parentage. Are you suggesting there are other criteria? i.e. agreeing to undertake duties?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    That is correct. Hereditary Monarchs occupy their position on the basis of their parentage. Are you suggesting there are other criteria? i.e. agreeing to undertake duties?

Your hatred of Royalty appears to have clouded your judgement.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Your hatred of Royalty appears to have clouded your judgement.

Then it should be no problem to point out the error in my statement.
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Being Monarch does not actually involve doing anything so there is no need for her to abdicate however old or incapacitated the Monarch becomes. Being alive and being the first born of the previous incumbent is the only requirement.

No arguing with that fact.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Whilst they become monarch based on heritage they do have to carry out duties that come with that role it is all part and parcel , if a monarch was to refuse to carry out the official role of monarch I feel they would not be monarch for long

http://www.royal.gov.uk/MonarchUK/HowtheMonarchyworks/TheroleoftheSovereign.aspx
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    skp20040 wrote: »
    Whilst they become monarch based on heritage they do have to carry out duties that come with that role it is all part and parcel , if a monarch was to refuse to carry out the official role of monarch I feel they would not be monarch for long

http://www.royal.gov.uk/MonarchUK/HowtheMonarchyworks/TheroleoftheSovereign.aspx

You have to be kidding! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member

After Albert's death in 1861 Queen Victoria effectively became a recluse for some 25 years rarely appearing in public. Notwithstanding she remained Monarch and is still celebrated as our longest serving Monarch.

Our current Queen will I am sure remain Monarch even if she becomes incapable of performing any duties. Duties and role are not in this case interdependant.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After Albert's death in 1861 Queen Victoria effectively became a recluse for some 25 years rarely appearing in public. Notwithstanding she remained Monarch and is still celebrated as our longest serving Monarch.

Our current Queen will I am sure remain Monarch even if she becomes incapable of performing any duties. Duties and role are not in this case interdependant.

Queen Victoria may have got away with that , that was 1861 I have a feeling it would not happen these days
    anne_666 wrote: »
    You have to be kidding! :D

Why are you ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Queen Victoria may have got away with that , that was 1861 I have a feeling it would not , happen these days

Why are you ?

No I'm not.
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member

That just sounds like she has a lot of parties.
  • Options
    batgirlbatgirl Posts: 42,248
    Forum Member

That is really and properly embarrassing stuff. :D

Probably best not mentioned if one's a monarchist...
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't understand the fuss over abdication.. and why it's such a major thing either way.

The way some people go on, and on you'd think it'd be the worst thing in the world.

I mean, why does it matter? Who cares? :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope Kate Middleton becomes Queen soon

She would look great with a pearl necklace ;):p
  • Options
    Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It featured on BBC NEWS TELETEXT as being in todays paper?

Yeah, the latest rumour of her abdicating was being reported by yesterday's papers. But the link you posted was from nearly a year ago, not yesterday.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    batgirl wrote: »

Probably best not mentioned if one's a monarchist...

So as that is the same as a President would do one assumes you just do not want a Head of State, or would it be ok then and one should only laugh at a monarch as that makes one a real republican
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,692
    Forum Member
    Oh no. I hope not. Brian May is an amazing guitarist.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 116
    Forum Member
    batgirl wrote: »

Indeed it is. Repetitive and patronising drivel.

If I were ER, I'd sack whoever wrote that piece.
  • Options
    lovedoctor1978lovedoctor1978 Posts: 2,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

:D
    When talking about royalty, my dad used to say that he would live to 100 as well if he had someone to wipe his arse for him too.
  • Options
    batgirlbatgirl Posts: 42,248
    Forum Member
    So as that is the same as a President would do one assumes you just do not want a Head of State, or would it be ok then and one should only laugh at a monarch as that makes one a real republican

You'll have to run that one by me again...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Then it should be no problem to point out the error in my statement.

The Queen works very hard.
  • Options
    bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Queen works very hard.

agreed
  • Options
    Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Queen still has well over a year to go before she has reigned longer than Queen Victoria did. I am sure that the Queen will be eager to beat that record and become the longest reigning British monach.