Options

Simon was robbed

Comments

• Options
    holly berryholly berry Posts: 14,288
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Craig said some very positive things about Strictly just being the beginning for Simon. I wonder what he has in mind but no, I don't think Simon was robbed. Caroline and Pasha were worthy winners last night as Simon and Kristina would have been.
  • Options
    alexandreealexandree Posts: 2,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree, Simon would have been a worthy winner, but then again so would any of them that were not trained for 3 years on how to dance
  • Options
    biscuitfactorybiscuitfactory Posts: 29,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ChrisToria wrote: »
    Okay.

Huzzah. Caroline won. Not everyone is actually bothered about the "journey". Why, exactly, does everyone have to begin from the very bottom? I don't understand that. Is it in the name of the show? Is it written somewhere? I might be wrong, but this is a celebrity dance show in which non-pro celebrities learn to dance routines with pro's and perform on television. I'm not actually interested in seeing mediocre dancers winning just because they sucked at the beginning.

Applause Applause Applause for this post.

This is exactly how I feel about Strictly. The glitterball could have gone to Caroline or Frankie. - Simon just didn't come anywhere close to them in dancing ability imo. Have they had any previous training? Who gives a crap.
    If they have it won't have been to professional dancer standard.
    I like to watch great dancing on Strictly and for anyone but the best dancer to win would be a travesty - as it was last year and several other year's besides.
  • Options
    biscuitfactorybiscuitfactory Posts: 29,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cressida wrote: »
    Simon deserved to be in the final. His Argentine Tango was a thing of beauty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KASm3hQ9_Y

The little backwards skippy bit at the beginning ( 0.04 ) is just so funny I can't take the rest of it seriously. It reminds me of a Bruce Forsyth move.
    This is from the Blackpool show but it was even funnier in last night's final.

Anyway, apart from that, I just thought it was very stiff.
    The final move, where he turns Kristina upside down, is a thing of beauty though.
  • Options
    sambadansambadan Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So Simon was robbed was he.
    Last time I checked robbery was a crime.
    Call the Police then.
    Ridiculous piffle.
    It's TV show for crying out loud.
    I thought Frankie should have won but you don't see me bleating that she was robbed.
    Grow up.
  • Options
    Janet43Janet43 Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member
    I don't think Simon was robbed because the public vote went to Caroline, and that's what it's all about.

But I do think Simon deserved to win. They all put in great performances, but there was one difference - the girls were being led and Simon had to do the leading, which he did brilliantly. That fact alone put him on a different footing to the girls.

Hopefully Craig is right and this is just the beginning for him. He came such a long way in learning to dance from a low beginning and he developed into a likeable person more and more as the series went on. He came over as a bit arrogant in the beginning, but I reckon that was because he was out of his comfort zone and worried he might show himself up. But he didn't and turned into a great dancer.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 336
    Forum Member
    Janet43 wrote: »
    I don't think Simon was robbed because the public vote went to Caroline, and that's what it's all about.

But I do think Simon deserved to win. They all put in great performances, but there was one difference - the girls were being led and Simon had to do the leading, which he did brilliantly. That fact alone put him on a different footing to the girls.

Hopefully Craig is right and this is just the beginning for him. He came such a long way in learning to dance from a low beginning and he developed into a likeable person more and more as the series went on. He came over as a bit arrogant in the beginning, but I reckon that was because he was out of his comfort zone and worried he might show himself up. But he didn't and turned into a great dancer.

I respect your opinion, but if this is the criteria for choosing a winner what is the point in there being any female celebrities in the competition? And are the girls less profficient because they are being led? You are implying that every male celebrity, no matter their skill level, must ultimately be better than amy female celeb simply because they lead. Surely that can't be right?
  • Options
    Irma BuntIrma Bunt Posts: 1,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    catkins198 wrote: »
    So the trained dancer wins Strictly. Really feel it should have been Simon

The person who gained the most votes won. No-one was robbed.

There, it isn't really that difficult a concept to grasp, is it?
  • Options
    VientreVientre Posts: 1,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caroline deservedly won end of, why do some people always want to put a damper on things?
  • Options
    Jennifer_FJennifer_F Posts: 4,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    houdi wrote: »
    I respect your opinion, but if this is the criteria for choosing a winner what is the point in there being any female celebrities in the competition? And are the girls less profficient because they are being led? You are implying that every male celebrity, no matter their skill level, must ultimately be better than amy female celeb simply because they lead. Surely that can't be right?

There is no criteria for choosing the winner, we are told to vote for our favourite. That does not always mean the best dancer, so you choose who you like for whatever reason and vote for them.
    Janet is absolutely right in her post. All the finalists were fab, but Simon as the male celeb had to acquire a different and far more difficult skillset.
  • Options
    J.RJ.R Posts: 2,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It always reminds me of the famous Ginger Rogers quote - that she did everything Fred did only backwards and in high heels!

Kristina mentioned several times that Simon was unique (for her) in that he DID lead. The females otherwise have to dance backwards without being lead so that must make it more difficult.

I loved Simons progression through the series - he more than anyone (including Mark) had that journey this year. I would have LOVED to have seen him win but he didn't and I don't think it's fair on him to start the 'he was robbed' complaint because he wasn't. It was down to the public vote and whilst it got him into the final - which after being in the bottom two three times is no mean feat - Caroline had the most votes. That's it really.

There have been a lot of outstanding dances this year - my favourites have been from Pixie, Frankie, Caroline and Simon with Simons Argentine Tango being the best dance of the series.
  • Options
    Janet43Janet43 Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member
    I'm not saying that at all. You can't have three winners - someone has to win so in the absence of any other way of doing it then that's the only thing I can think of which makes a difference. He was equally as good as Caroline who was equally as good as Frankie. Otherwise in the absence of anything else can only come down to popularity. All three were equal in my opinion and the ONLY way to differentiate is that Simon had to lead, while the girls were led.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm not saying that at all. You can't have three winners - someone has to win so in the absence of any other way of doing it then that's the only thing I can think of which makes a difference. He was equally as good as Caroline who was equally as good as Frankie. Otherwise in the absence of anything else can only come down to popularity. All three were equal in my opinion and the ONLY way to differentiate is that Simon had to lead, while the girls were led.

I'm not knocking you. I voted for Simon because of his AT but I was quite happy for any of the others to win. I didn't think of it in terms of leading, just that his AT had that wow factor and, if I'm honest, it was more to do with Kristina than anything and she wasn't leading.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I adored watching Simon and Kristina, and as our phone bill will prove, I voted with flames on my fingers for him and really hoped he'd win, for both him and Kristina.

BUT all 3 of the finalists danced beautifully and Caroline won and I'm happy for her. What I take away from this, is that Simon is clearly happier and must feel like a new man and very proud of himself. His AT will always be my favourite dance and his relationship with Kristina, was electric. He wasn't robbed, he's still amazing to me. Well done to all of them for giving us some beautiful performances and congratulations to Caroline and Pasha.
  • Options
    Chiltons CaneChiltons Cane Posts: 23,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wanted Simon to win but not fussed it was Carolne. The true winner and best dancer for me was Pixe.
  • Options
    Twinkle toes noTwinkle toes no Posts: 1,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Simon was very skilful in leading and even I (dancing dimwit :D) noticed how beautiful his feet were but I think it's also very skilful (and scary) for the lady celebs being twirled and lifted and flung all over the place (not very eloquent I know :)). So for me at least it kind of balances out.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It really is so! In my experience it takes new leads around 2 years to get to where a new follow is in 3 months.
  • Options
    mr trebusmr trebus Posts: 264
    Forum Member
    Reem2011 wrote: »
    I'll be surprised if a black man wins

I love a "total bollox" statement.. .
  • Options
    DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved Simon last night and I'm sure a lot of doors will be opened for him now.

He didn't need to win to prove his skills and attitudes. :D
  • Options
    DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cherry pip wrote: »
    I adored watching Simon and Kristina, and as our phone bill will prove, I voted with flames on my fingers for him and really hoped he'd win, for both him and Kristina.

BUT all 3 of the finalists danced beautifully and Caroline won and I'm happy for her. What I take away from this, is that Simon is clearly happier and must feel like a new man and very proud of himself. His AT will always be my favourite dance and his relationship with Kristina, was electric. He wasn't robbed, he's still amazing to me. Well done to all of them for giving us some beautiful performances and congratulations to Caroline and Pasha.

Fabulous post.
    Thanxx. :D
  • Options
    JocolahJocolah Posts: 2,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I would have been surprised if he had won.....not because of his colour, but because he was in the bottom 3 times and wasn't favourite to win at any point.
  • Options
    Forum Member

You mean Flackers is white?!!! Really?!!! Well, I never. Must admit, I never noticed. Too busy enjoyng the dancing.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    J.R wrote: »
    It always reminds me of the famous Ginger Rogers quote - that she did everything Fred did only backwards and in high heels!

Kristina mentioned several times that Simon was unique (for her) in that he DID lead. The females otherwise have to dance backwards without being lead so that must make it more difficult.

I loved Simons progression through the series - he more than anyone (including Mark) had that journey this year. I would have LOVED to have seen him win but he didn't and I don't think it's fair on him to start the 'he was robbed' complaint because he wasn't. It was down to the public vote and whilst it got him into the final - which after being in the bottom two three times is no mean feat - Caroline had the most votes. That's it really.

There have been a lot of outstanding dances this year - my favourites have been from Pixie, Frankie, Caroline and Simon with Simons Argentine Tango being the best dance of the series.

I've never really liked Ginger Rogers, so just goes to show its not about dancing ability - its who you warm to and feel you cannot take your eyes off. I didn't like watching Simon either. And I am getting sick of this if you go to stage school you have dance training. For people that complain do you know how many years of blood, sweat and tears and dedication it takes to be a first class dancer, particularly ballet dancers. A few years at a stage school does not give you that kind of training - it just points you in the direction of it.
    How about next year anyone that starts moaning we just don't answer.
  • Options
    elenaelena Posts: 14,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't understand the argument. Although I would agree that Caroline was overmarked and some of her flaws were overlooked, she was a great dancer. If she had been rubbish and simon much better, I'd maybe agree, but you can't argue that Caroline did very well and produced some brilliant dances.

Any of the final 3 would have been worthy winners.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    cj1234 wrote: »
    I've never really liked Ginger Rogers, so just goes to show its not about dancing ability - its who you warm to and feel you cannot take your eyes off. I didn't like watching Simon either. And I am getting sick of this if you go to stage school you have dance training. For people that complain do you know how many years of blood, sweat and tears and dedication it takes to be a first class dancer, particularly ballet dancers. A few years at a stage school does not give you that kind of training - it just points you in the direction of it.
    How about next year anyone that starts moaning we just don't answer.

Me neither. Preferred Cyd Charisse.
This discussion has been closed.