Options

Radio Football Commentators and reporters (2014/15 season)

Comments

• Options
    bwfcolbwfcol Posts: 13,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I listen to BBC radio, I hear about listen online, apps, phones, tablets, on the move and so on

I want to listen to commentary tonight, it's on Radio Manchester, it's on FM, it's on DAB, it's online? Of course not. Great stuff. >:( :confused:
  • Options
    GrahamjoanneGrahamjoanne Posts: 940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bwfcol wrote: »
    When I listen to BBC radio, I hear about listen online, apps, phones, tablets, on the move and so on

I want to listen to commentary tonight, it's on Radio Manchester, it's on FM, it's on DAB, it's online? Of course not. Great stuff. >:( :confused:

Broadcasting rights sadly that BBC Premier League and Football League commentaries aren't allowed on-line although I'm not sure how BBC London seem to get around this. The FA Cup is different as the commentaries can normally be accessed via the BBC football commentaries page but not the individual stations websites.
  • Options
    iceolaiceola Posts: 1,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to agree,not sure how BBC Radio London is allowed to broadcast football commentaries.
    Having said that BBC Wales arre allowed to broadcast football commentaries.
    At one time if you listened to BBC Wales when Cardiif and Swansea were both in action at the same time,using your Sky box,you always got Cardiff commentaries and not Swansea.
    Not sure if thats the same scenario nowadays.

BBC Bristol is the first local radio station to be broadcast on freeview.
    Last week I was expecting their to be a block on the football commentaries or at least commentary on the Bristol Rovers game.
    In the end BBC Bristol transmitted the Bristol City v Crawley match.
    Maybe some one forgot to switch the switch and block the Bristol City commentary
    Lets hope some one keeps forgetting.

Be interesting to see what happens today(20/12/14)
    Bristol Rovers played friday
    Bath Rugby kick off at 17:30pm
    and no game for Bristol Rugby
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Broadcasting rights sadly that BBC Premier League and Football League commentaries aren't allowed on-line although I'm not sure how BBC London seem to get around this. The FA Cup is different as the commentaries can normally be accessed via the BBC football commentaries page but not the individual stations websites.

I've listened to PL online many times on BBC radio

It's a ridiculous situation which should be rectified, I don't really get the reasons behind it
  • Options
    connor the judgconnor the judg Posts: 8,961
    Forum Member
    Saturday 20th December

Free Radio Christmas/80s

Premier League
    Aston Villa v Manchester United - Olly Wilson & Pat Heard (Updates)
    Queen's Park Rangers v West Brom - Chris Coles & Tony Brown (Updates)

Championship
    Huddersfield Town v Birmingham City - Tom Ross & Kevan Broadhurst (Live Commentary)
    Wolverhampton Wanderers v Brighton & Hove Albion - Richard Hurst & Andy Thompson (Updates)

BBC WM

BBC WM Sport with Paul Franks Live from Loftus Road

Premier League
    Aston Villa v Manchester United - Tom Marlow (FM Updates, with Daz Hale presenting Early Kick Off)
    Queen's Park Rangers v West Brom - Rob Gurney & Paul Franks (Live FM Commentary)

Championship
    Huddersfield Town v Birmingham City - Richard Wilford (Live DAB Commentary in Birmingham)
    Wolverhampton Wanderers v Brighton & Hove Albion - Mike Taylor (Live DAB Commentary in the Black Country)

League One
    Sheffield Untied v Walsall - Steve Hermon (FM Updates)

A Merry Christmas to everyone! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do BBC WM not have Villa rights to commentary?
  • Options
    The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,102
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've listened to PL online many times on BBC radio

It's a ridiculous situation which should be rectified, I don't really get the reasons behind it

Do you almost exclusively listen to Radio 5 Live and not read many posts on here pertaining to other stations?

I'm surprised that you didn't know that most local BBC or commercial radio stations do not hold online commentary rights to league football games and haven't for many, many years now. I thought this was common knowledge, it's certainly something that has been mentioned on here on a fair few occasions down the seasons.

BBC London seem to be a strange exception to the rule, but even they can apparently only stream Premier League and not Football League matches.

Most Premier League and Football League clubs stream online commentaries on their games on their official websites, either for free or as part of a subscription service (in most cases operated by the Perform Group's Player service). So there is a commercial reason for clubs not to grant local radio stations the rights to broadcast their commentaries online.

As for Aston Villa's local radio rights, BBC WM do hold commentary rights but I think they may only be able to do a limited number of live games - hence why on days like today when four/five of their teams are playing, they'll be the ones not covered live on FM or on one of their two DAB platforms. Free Radio 80s is the local West Midland station that doesn't hold any commentary rights to Aston Villa home games (barring occasions when they host a local rival).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks, I know the website Player things exist but you have to subscribe and how many people do I don't know. Something that could be looked at
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saturday 20th December - talkSPORT

Adrian Durham presenting Matchday Live from White Hart Lane with Ray Parlour at Upton Park and Stan Collymore at Villa Park, followed by Call Collymore from Villa Park

Premier League
    Manchester City v Crystal Palace - Dom McGuinness
    Aston Villa v Manchester United - Nigel Pearson and Stan Collymore, with James Dodd producing
    Hull City v Swansea City - Graham Courtney
    Queens Park Rangers v West Bromwich Albion - Tony Incenzo
    Southampton v Everton - Andrew McKenna
    Tottenham Hotspur v Burnley - Mike Bovill and Adrian Durham
    West Ham United v Leicester City - Ian Abrahams and Ray Parlour

Championship
    Derby County v Norwich City - Geoff Peters
    Blackpool v AFC Bournemouth - Alan Biggs
    Ipswich Town v Middlesbrough - Dave Rowe
    Wolverhampton Wanderers v Brighton & Hove Albion - Ian Danter
    Nottingham Forest v Leeds United - Simon Humphreys

Rugby Union: Premiership
    Northampton Saints v Leicester Tigers - Ian Williams

Darts: PDC World Championship 2015
    Alexandra Palace, London - Dan Dawson

talkSPORT Live

Premier League
    Manchester City v Crystal Palace - Richard Connelly and Matt Lawrence
    Aston Villa v Manchester United - Adam Bridge and Paul McVeigh (featured 3pm commentary on international radio stations)
    Hull City v Swansea City - Toby Gilles
    Queens Park Rangers v West Bromwich Albion - Tim Long
    Southampton v Everton - Alex Crook
    Tottenham Hotspur v Burnley - Dan Wheeler
    West Ham United v Leicester City - Dan Windle

Bundesliga
    SV Werder Bremen v Borussia Dortmund - Kevin Hatchard

Absolute Radio

Russ Williams presenting Rock 'N' Roll Football Live alongside Nigel Winterburn, followed by Ian Wright and Ian Stone on the phone-in

Premier League
    Southampton v Everton - Jon Champion and Darren Anderton (3pm commentary), with Carl Ralley producing

Today FM

Michael McMullan presenting Premier League Live with Mark Lawrenson between 2-3pm, followed by Fanzone hosted by Johnny Lyons with Mick Martin from Villa Park

Premier League
    Manchester City v Crystal Palace - Stuart Arrowsmith
    Aston Villa v Manchester United - Ron Jones and Mick Martin (3pm commentary)
    Hull City v Swansea City - Grahame Lloyd
    Queens Park Rangers v West Bromwich Albion - Alan Tolley
    Southampton v Everton - Ian Beach
    Tottenham Hotspur v Burnley - Russell Hargreaves
    West Ham United v Leicester City - Graham Miller

Newstalk 106-108FM

Ger Gilroy presenting Off The Ball alongside Adrian Barry, Nathan Murphy, Dave McIntyre and Kenny Cunningham

Premier League (as IRN)
    Manchester City v Crystal Palace - Darren Stannage
    Aston Villa v Manchester United - Clive Edwards
    Hull City v Swansea City - Al Ross
    Queens Park Rangers v West Bromwich Albion - Andrew Cheal
    Southampton v Everton - Alan Lewis
    Tottenham Hotspur v Burnley - Nigel Bidmead
    West Ham United v Leicester City - Adam Lindsay
  • Options
    AR1983AR1983 Posts: 575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks, I know the website Player things exist but you have to subscribe and how many people do I don't know. Something that could be looked at
    They have an app now which allows you to listen on a mobile.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AR1983 wrote: »
    They have an app now which allows you to listen on a mobile.

Theoretically...I'm a subscriber and I can't get their commentaries to stream on my Android phone! And I'm far from the only person who has been unable to access commentaries on the Football League Player mobile app.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    As for Aston Villa's local radio rights, BBC WM do hold commentary rights but I think they may only be able to do a limited number of live games - hence why on days like today when four/five of their teams are playing, they'll be the ones not covered live on FM or on one of their two DAB platforms. Free Radio 80s is the local West Midland station that doesn't hold any commentary rights to Aston Villa home games (barring occasions when they host a local rival).

When they play local sides that would come under the rights of the side the Villa are playing wouldn't it?

I have noticed on Twitter that over the last month that the likes of Adam Bridge, Keith Hall & Steve Hermon have been commentating for Villa's TV commentary.
    Do BBC WM not have Villa rights to commentary?
    As you have seen above WM do have rights but they are limited and another reason why they didn't do commentary could be because they can only do 3 commentaries at once.
  • Options
    Ian CleverlyIan Cleverly Posts: 10,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC Radio Wales

Hull City v Swansea City - Mark Poyser and Kevin Ratcliffe (SW FM & SW Wales DAB)
    Vincent Tan FC - Ian Hunt (host and updater on MW / Digital TV) Rob Phillips and Nathan Blake (SE FM & SE Wales DAB)
    Luton Town v Newport County - Simon Davies, Andy Legg and an annoyingly positioned gantry post (MW / Digital TV)
    Wrexham v Dartford - Dylan Griffiths and Mickey Thomas (North FM / NE Wales DAB and NW Wales DAB / Online)
    Aberystwyth Town v Port Talbot Town - Alun Williams
    Ebbw Vale v Llanelli (Principality Premiership RU) - Phil Steele
    Horse racing from Ascot - Aly Rowell

BBC Radio Cymru

Hull City v Swansea City - Owain Llyr and Iwan Roberts (SW Wales FM commentary)
    Vincent Tan FC - John Hardy (host) Gareth Blainey and Osian Roberts (commentary everywhere/how else)
    Luton Town v Newport County - Marc Lloyd Williams
    Wrexham v Dartford - Malcolm Allen
    Aberystwyth Town v Port Talbot Town - Alun Williams
    Ebbw Vale v Llanelli (Principality Premiership RU) - Alun Jenkins
    Ospreys v Ulster (Guinness Pro12) (1715GMT KO) - Gareth Rhys Owen and Brynmor Williams (nationwide commentary)

BBC Bristol / Somerset

A throaty sounding Geoff Twentyman was studio host

Crewe Alexandra v Bristol City - Richard Hoskin and Adam Baker (94.9FM / 104.6FM / 1548MW / 1566MW / Bristol & Bath DAB / Somerset DAB / Freeview)
    Yeovil Town v Colchester United - Chris Spittles and Chris Weale (95.5FM)
    Gloucester v Bath (Aviva Premiership) (1715GMT KO) - Andrew Sheridan and Tom Bradshaw (95.5FM / 104.6FM / 1548MW / Bristol & Bath DAB / Online)

BFBS Radio

Queen's Park Rangers v West Bromwich Albion - Andrew Cheal (predicted a 1-O QPR win)
    Northampton Saints v Leicester Tigers - Ian Williams
    PDC World Championship, Crystal Palace - Dan Dawson

Swansea Sound

Hull City v Swansea City - Dave Ayres (commentary)
    PDC World Championship, Crystal Palace - Dan Dawson
    Classified results at 1705 - Colin Beazley

BBC 5lSX

Northampton Saints v Leicester Tigers (Aviva Premiership RU) (1515GMT KO) - Graham McKechnie (host) *I think* Ian Hunter, Lennie Newman and James Knight (as Radio Northamptonshire)

A Merry Christmas to everyone! :)

Nadolig Llawen i chi, a phawb yma.
  • Options
    Ian CleverlyIan Cleverly Posts: 10,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Me wrote: »
    BBC 5lSX

Northampton Saints v Leicester Tigers (Aviva Premiership RU) (1515GMT KO) - Graham McKechnie (host) *I think* Ian Hunter, Lennie Newman and James Knight (as Radio Northamptonshire)

Gloucester v Bath (Aviva Premiership) (1715GMT KO) - Ian Randall, Andy Wyman and Simon Pugh (as Radio Gloucestershire)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Nadolig Llawen i chi, a phawb yma.
    I hope that is something nice you are saying. ;-)
  • Options
    GrahamjoanneGrahamjoanne Posts: 940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC Radio Manchester presented by Jimmy Wagg from the Etihad Stadium

Manchester City v Crystal Palace - Ian Cheeseman and Shaun Goater - 12.45 commentary
    Aston Villa v Manchester United - Bill Rice - reports
    Wigan Athletic v Rotherham United - Robyn Cowen and Ray Mathias - 3.0 commentary
    MK Dons v Oldham Athletic - Graham Miller - reports
    Rochdale v Notts County - Joe Townsend - reports
    Bury v York City - Drew Savage - reports
  • Options
    Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC Radio Scotland, 20/12/14

Football

Richard Gordon presenting Sportsound on 92-95FM.

Scottish Premiership
    Aberdeen v Kilmarnock - Willie Miller, with Liam McLeod conducting interviews
    Partick Thistle v Dundee - Chick Young
    Ross County v Hamilton Accies - Barry Wilson, with Martin Dowden conducting interviews
    St Johnstone v Inverness CT - Connie McLaughlin
    St Mirren v Motherwell - Rob Maclean

Scottish Championship
    Hearts v Alloa Athletic - Allan Preston, with Paul Mitchell conducting interviews
    The Rangers v Livingston - Derek Ferguson, with Chris McLaughlin conducting interviews

Rugby Union

Geoff Webster presenting Sportsound Rugby from Scotstoun Stadium on 810MW, with Tom English.

Pro12 League
    Glasgow v Munster (2.40pm) - Bill Johnstone and John Beattie (commentary) with Phil Goodlad pitchside
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just returned from the Crewe v Bristol City match
    BBC stoke stated we will have Crawley v Port Vale on 94:6 and crewe on DAB
    What I ended up with was Signal two with music and football updates.

Thoughts any one?

Apart from checking more carefully that I am listening/recording the correct station commentary
  • Options
    wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

From reading a football forum, I think there may have been an increase in subscriptions in this era of apps. If the BBC had online commentary rights for every team, fewer people would subscribe to the websites.

Halifax Town have a subscription service even though they are in the Conference.

In places like South Yorkshire, where the BBC radio station covers all 5 teams as well as Chesterfield, and mainly focusing on the Sheffield clubs, and where there is no independent radio coverage of clubs (except Barnsley at home) despite Barnsley, Doncaster an Rotherham having independent radio stations, a subscription service may be more valuable than in places like West Yorkshire, where all the Football League clubs can be heard on the radio.
  • Options
    wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC Radio Leeds
    Huddersfield Town versus Birmingham City - also on the official Huddersfield Town website - Gareth Jones, Paul Ogden and Kieran O'Regan
    Halifax Town versus Nuneaton Borough - online (on the Radio leeds stream due to number of live event streams being occupied by other commentaries) - Dave Fletcher
    Nottingham Forest versus Leeds United - FM only between 17:00 and 17:30 - Katherine Hannah, Adam Pope and Noel Whelan

Radio Yorkshire
    Nottinngham Forest versus Leeds United - Mark Wilson and Robbie Blake
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When they play local sides that would come under the rights of the side the Villa are playing wouldn't it?

I imagine they would, given that I believe Free Radio 80s have commentary rights to all Birmingham, West Brom and Wolves home and away games.

It would be interesting to know whether BBC WM's commentaries on derby games played at Villa Park would come under their quota of home Aston Villa commentaries per season or would be solely classed as a commentary on the away side only (as per their contract with that club) and thus wouldn't count towards their quota?
    I have noticed on Twitter that over the last month that the likes of Adam Bridge, Keith Hall & Steve Hermon have been commentating for Villa's TV commentary.

Thanks for that - I posted on here a while back that Keith Hall has changed his Twitter biography this season to note that he's been commentating for Aston Villa and Wolves' in-house services. I guess Villa must now do separate TV and radio-style commentaries (if they didn't before), with AVTV host Jack Woodward sticking to the live audio side. Indeed going by Twitter, Woodward and Tony Morley were on audio commentary duty for Aston Villa v Manchester United, while Hall tweeted to let us know he was in the TV gantry (presumably for the club).

As I also said at the time, while he still lists himself as a talkSPORT Live commentator, Hall hasn't been used on that service this season and instead has been commentating for BBC Hereford & Worcester on an increasing amount of occasions, certainly more frequently than in the other seasons since he left the Beeb to go freelance - he seems to have been involved in most of their commentaries from Worcester City's action-packed FA Cup run.

What with Hereford United sadly being wound up on Friday, it'd be interesting to know how BBC Hereford & Worcester plan to prioritise coverage of their remaining local teams for the rest of the season. I guess Conference Premier club Kidderminster Harriers and Championship rugby union club the Worcester Warriors will get pride of place on Saturdays, although given their numerous frequencies perhaps Worcester City's Conference North campaign will be the subject of a fair few commentaries. Although I fully expect Hereford's phoenix club to get a similar level of coverage on H&W as United received when one is inevitably established in time for next season.
    wns_195 wrote: »
    In places like South Yorkshire, where the BBC radio station covers all 5 teams as well as Chesterfield, and mainly focusing on the Sheffield clubs, and where there is no independent radio coverage of clubs (except Barnsley at home) despite Barnsley, Doncaster an Rotherham having independent radio stations, a subscription service may be more valuable than in places like West Yorkshire, where all the Football League clubs can be heard on the radio.

Out of interest, which local station provides commentary on Barnsley's home games? I know Oakwell 1575AM used to have an RSL license locally but I don't believe it does anymore (although the station is listed on TuneIn).

UTV Radio-owned Peak FM provides live commentaries on all Chesterfield games - which must be a particularly valuable service for Spireites fans, given how the club overlaps upon BBC Radio Sheffield and BBC Radio Derby's catchment area, and thus finds itself well down the pecking order on the former station and in receipt of very scant coverage on the latter station (usually just pre-match, half-time and full-time reports).

One thing I've noticed as a Player subscriber this season - the clubs based in big football areas with multiple neighbours from the top two divisions tend to produce their own in-house service, mainly due to there being a lack of regular radio commentaries on those teams, while sides from smaller counties and/or with fewer local "big" clubs tend to simulcast the (mostly) BBC Local Radio or independent radio commentary services available in their local area. I'm sure that won't come as a surprise to anyone but it is very noticeable.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only listened to a very smalll portion of my recording of BBC Bristol's 3pm till 5pm slot and they was commentary of crewe v Bristol City.

I do hope it is a case that the football league have sanctioned the broadcasting of football league matches on freeview,and not a case that some one has forgot to
    "flick the switch"

Beause it will mean eventually that some football league clubswill be afforded this privilidge

BBC Bristols reception has been very poor recently and the signal struggles to get out of the Greater Bristol area

Regarding the comment that football league matches are not allowed to be broadcast on BBC London on the Sky platform,I swear I remember London based Championship teams playing Bristol City and the games were transmitted.
    Charleton is one team that springs to mind.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I imagine they would, given that I believe Free Radio 80s have commentary rights to all Birmingham, West Brom and Wolves home and away games.

It would be interesting to know whether BBC WM's commentaries on derby games played at Villa Park would come under their quota of home Aston Villa commentaries per season or would be solely classed as a commentary on the away side only (as per their contract with that club) and thus wouldn't count towards their quota.
    With WM have commentary right to all games for Birmingham, West Brom and Wolves I think it would be under the away side in order for them to have more Villa games.

While we are on WM after Christmas Richard Wilford is covering on a weekday show for the first 2 months of the year so, I don't think he will be doing commentaries on the weekends unless they have short staffed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iceola wrote: »
    Only listened to a very smalll portion of my recording of BBC Bristol's 3pm till 5pm slot and they was commentary of crewe v Bristol City.

I do hope it is a case that the football league have sanctioned the broadcasting of football league matches on freeview,and not a case that some one has forgot to
    "flick the switch"

Beause it will mean eventually that some football league clubswill be afforded this privilidge

BBC Bristols reception has been very poor recently and the signal struggles to get out of the Greater Bristol area

Regarding the comment that football league matches are not allowed to be broadcast on BBC London on the Sky platform,I swear I remember London based Championship teams playing Bristol City and the games were transmitted.
    Charleton is one team that springs to mind.

A couple of points:

BBC Radio Bristol isn't the first BBC Local Radio station to be added to Freeview. In the (West) Midlands, BBC WM has been on the platform for a while and has been consistently been broadcasting commentaries. I think they typically go with a DAB commentary when there's a split, although Connor would probably be better placed to tell you which of the Birmingham and Wolverhampton DAB mux they favour when there's a three-way split. So it would appear that there isn't anything stopping them from broadcasting commentaries in this way.

On BBC London, I guess you are referring to my post the other day - just to note what I actually said was that BBC London were not allowed to broadcast Football League, only Premier League, commentaries online. I didn't say anything about the Sky platform - I'm sure what you state about that is correct.
    With WM have commentary right to all games for Birmingham, West Brom and Wolves I think it would be under the away side in order for them to have more Villa games.

Ideally that would be the case, but it's possible that it may be a term of WM's contract with Aston Villa that local derbies played at Villa Park must count under their quota regardless of any other rights that they hold.

In any case, I'd be interested to know how many home Aston Villa commentaries BBC WM are limited to. Would it be 10 games like their contract with Walsall (both home and away) a few seasons back? If it's much higher, it doesn't seem like much of a cap - Villa will play at least 21 competitive fixtures at Villa Park this season (including the cups), which could rise to a maximum of 24 (if they get to the FA Cup Quarter-Finals on the back of four home ties). They could easily pass over five or six home games on Saturdays or midweek evenings when all four of their top division sides are playing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sunday 21st December - talkSPORT

Mark Saggers presenting Sunday Exclusive from St James' Park, followed by Call Collymore from St James' Park

Premier League
    Newcastle United v Sunderland - Sam Matterface and Stan Collymore (1.30pm commentary), with Jon Norman producing
    Liverpool v Arsenal - Graham Beecroft

Rugby Union: Premiership
    Wasps v London Irish - Russell Hargreaves

Darts: PDC World Championship 2015
    Alexandra Palace, London - Dan Dawson

talkSPORT Live

Premier League
    Newcastle United v Sunderland - John Anderson and Clive Walker
    Liverpool v Arsenal - Phil Blacker and Kevin Watson

Bundesliga
    SC Freiburg v Hannover 96 - Kevin Hatchard

Newstalk 106-108FM

Joe Molloy presenting Off The Ball alongside Adrian Barry

Premier League
    Newcastle United v Sunderland - Dave McIntyre and Pat Nevin (1.30pm commentary)
    Liverpool v Arsenal - Nathan Murphy and Ray Houghton (4pm commentary)