Options

Alan Henning's wife sleeping with his sister's husband

Comments

• Options
    What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mitu_Pappi wrote: »
    The only purpose this serves is that people can give his sympathies to his children and not his cheating wife.

I think it is his sister who is asking for sympathy in this piece. I think she deserves it too. It must have been very hard for her.
    'I needed to grieve for my brother but I couldn't go to the vigils because Pat and Barbara were together and I was grieving for my marriage.

'The pain of what I have been through is just indescribable. I've lost my brother and my husband.' 'I needed to grieve for my brother but I couldn't go to the vigils because Pat and Barbara were together and I was grieving for my marriage.

'The pain of what I have been through is just indescribable. I've lost my brother and my husband.'
  • Options
    bozzimacoobozzimacoo Posts: 1,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WinterLily wrote: »
    Is it different? Why is it different?

Frankly, it is none of our bloody business. Disgrace to the DM for printing this rubbish.

This is only the business of those involved. The rest of us should shut up and stop being so bloody righteous.

He is without sin...etc.,

His sister was quoted from a Sun article, by DM. I thought it normal practice from one rag to another.

Quote:
    Barbara Henning, who made a tearful plea for her husband's release before his brutal death, has been living with his brother-in-law since January, the aid worker's sister claimed today.
    The pair had been having an affair since before Mr Henning, a taxi driver from Eccles, Greater Manchester, travelled to Syria last December, according to his sister, Gill Kenyon.

I'm not outraged by it.
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it is his sister who is asking for sympathy in this piece. I think she deserves it too. It must have been very hard for her.

She's not getting my sympathy. This happens to thousands of people and they don't run to the press with their misery, simply to gain sympathy. She's making a fool of a man who died in the most horrific way. Downright nasty.
  • Options
    Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I want to know who actually drives some level of enjoyment out of reading stories like this. I don't blame the Mail, they along with all media, only provide for an audience. Maybe it's me but stories like this offer so little interest to me I cannot fathom what the appeal is.
  • Options
    neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who knows what goes on in families behind closed doors and very often blame is not very relevant. It is also not the most important part of the tragedy and shouldn't be allowed to overshadow the real evil.
    It is obviously different. One would be adultery - the other not. The poster had earlier commented about grieving reactions. So activity conducted before the death cannot be put down to grief reaction thus this information makes a big difference to the relevance of that opinion.
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Frankly, it is none of our bloody business. Disgrace to the DM for printing this rubbish.

Yep indeed. It's a disgrace. People thought NOTW were the worst of the worst but it's clear even in NOTW's absence the other tabloids are just as bad. We've no business knowing what's going on in her life just because her husband was murdered. It's none of our business and only serves as tittle tattle gossip to sell papers and get website hits. There is simply no public interest whatsoever in this story.
  • Options
    Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep indeed. It's a disgrace. People thought NOTW were the worst of the worst but it's clear even in NOTW's absence the other tabloids are just as bad. We've no business knowing what's going on in her life just because her husband was murdered. It's none of our business and only serves as tittle tattle gossip to sell papers and get website hits. There is simply no public interest whatsoever in this story.

The problem is whilst stories like this sell copies or attracts clicks there will be no appetite to stop running them.
  • Options
    trevvytrev21trevvytrev21 Posts: 16,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

This is only the business of those involved. The rest of us should shut up and stop being so bloody righteous.

He is without sin...etc.,

I foolishly commented without reading the article (I didn't want to click DM) and assumed Alan's wife had sort of been driven in to another's arms by her grief. The fact this went on before he died meant my understanding was completely off, so I was just clarifying that really.

I empathise with Alan's sister and can imagine in her anger and grief she has perhaps revealed things she wouldn't have were she thinking a bit clearer.
  • Options
    MargMckMargMck Posts: 24,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think it is "any of our business" but people talk about stuff that's not their business all the time. It's human nature.
    If it wasn't involving a man who died in awful circumstances, and so became known internationally, the story would have little impact, and be a completely different piece of the usual tittle-tattle if it was about someone off the telly. The truth is a lot of people read the rubbish about soap stars or footballers "at it".
    At some time in the future the sister will probably regret making it public, but right now she's not only lost her brother, but her husband has been playing away plus supporting his lover, "the grieving widow", at public vigils the dead man's sister has felt unable to attend. So she's lashed out, that's human nature too. All very sad.
  • Options
    trevvytrev21trevvytrev21 Posts: 16,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One positive to take from this is the LASHINGS the DM are receiving in the comments. ^_^
  • Options
    academiaacademia Posts: 18,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Utterly tasteless to publicise this. It's no one's business.
  • Options
    CFCJM1CFCJM1 Posts: 2,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was really shocked to read this. The reason being - how absolutely desperate and heartbroken his widow looked in the plea she made for his release and then after his horrific death. Whatever was going on in their family she clearly cared about him as a person and as the father of her kids. Her face has been etched with grief every time I've seen it and she is clearly struggling.

What an absolute nightmare for her kids, Alan's sister and the extended family. Hope they can all find some sort of peace as they come to terms with the death of a brave and good man.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bozzimacoo wrote: »
    I was thinking that. The sister is the one to put it out there, maybe she has had her fill of people sympathising with the 'loving wife' act while openly shacked up with her ever 'supporting' husband.
    If this is true it must have been an added hell for her and a triple hell to see her sister in law getting sympathy. That is not to say that her sister in law is not grieving genuinely but in the circumstances it must have added to the hell of losing your brother in that way and that your husband is carrying on with his sister.
  • Options
    gregrichardsgregrichards Posts: 4,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No surprise this has been in the papers but his sister should have kept quiet. What is achieved by this being known by the public? Does the sister feel any better from doing it? - my guess is no. The children's feelings should have been the only priority not publicly humiliating two people no matter they have done.
  • Options
    Dr. ClawDr. Claw Posts: 7,375
    Forum Member
    itv should make a drama program out of this
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    disgusting rag should leave families alone to deal with their losses.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No surprise this has been in the papers but his sister should have kept quiet. What is achieved by this being known by the public? Does the sister feel any better from doing it? - my guess is no. The children's feelings should have been the only priority not publicly humiliating two people no matter they have done.
    My guess would be yes and that she could not bear to stay quiet any longer. The less agony the mother is in the better for the children in the long run.

I don;n;t for one moment think that the paper gives a toss either way.
  • Options
    RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MargMck wrote: »
    I don't think it is "any of our business" but people talk about stuff that's not their business all the time. It's human nature.
    If it wasn't involving a man who died in awful circumstances, and so became known internationally, the story would have little impact, and be a completely different piece of the usual tittle-tattle if it was about someone off the telly. The truth is a lot of people read the rubbish about soap stars or footballers "at it".
    At some time in the future the sister will probably regret making it public, but right now she's not only lost her brother, but her husband has been playing away plus supporting his lover, "the grieving widow", at public vigils the dead man's sister has felt unable to attend. So she's lashed out, that's human nature too. All very sad.

I can't say I blame her. Watching the woman who has been publicly playing the grieving widow of your brother, while all the time knowing she was cheating with your husband, must have been difficult to bear.
    Should the DM have made it public knowledge ? Perhaps not, but it's one of those "human interest" stories that helps to sell newspapers. We all read it, didn't we ?
  • Options
    Keiō LineKeiō Line Posts: 12,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Public interest not what interests the public.

There should be a law against it.
  • Options
    Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RebelScum wrote: »
    OP didn't get desired mileage out of the last couple of threads he started so he thought he'd go for a something a bit meatier.

Being so catty is not very rebellious is it, Scum? :D
  • Options
    RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keiō Line wrote: »

Weren't you a teeny bit interested, I was. I manage to easily avoid any stories that don't interest me in the slightest, anything to do with the Royals for instance. :)
    There will always be stories that many people consider are in "bad taste", I don't think you can legislate against that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Weren't you a teeny bit interested, I was. I manage to easily avoid any stories that don't interest me in the slightest, anything to do with the Royals for instance. :)
    There will always be stories that many people consider are in "bad taste", I don't think you can legislate against that.

yes but the point being made was that the public being interested does not make it a public interest story - as in the public has an interest in it such that the public is entitled to be told. Public are interested does not equal "public interest."
  • Options
    MargMckMargMck Posts: 24,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keiō Line wrote: »

neelia wrote: »
    yes but the point being made was that the public being interested does not make it a public interest story - as in the public has an interest in it such that the public is entitled to be told. Public are interested does not equal "public interest."

Well, thinking about it, this one falls into a grey area of 'not our business, but perhaps it should be known'.
    As for the public interest - there is an interest in the public being aware of the reality of the situation. It's harsh, but the wife who was cheating has been seen at public tributes/ services. Supported by her lover, who's actually the husband of the deceased's grieving sister.
    Those are the facts and should be borne in mind over any fundraising / future memorial issues.
  • Options
    SaturnVSaturnV Posts: 11,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    oulandy wrote: »
    Why post this in GD while criticising the newspaper for publishing it?

I don't know why some people use GD in this way. It's not a news or gossip service. It's not the Newspapers forum. We are all capable of reading The Daily Mail or getting news elsewhere if and when we want it.

I always find it odd the way Daily Mail readers do this. Read it then moan.
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    I can't say I blame her. Watching the woman who has been publicly playing the grieving widow of your brother, while all the time knowing she was cheating with your husband, must have been difficult to bear.
    Should the DM have made it public knowledge ? Perhaps not, but it's one of those "human interest" stories that helps to sell newspapers. We all read it, didn't we ?

BIB No we don't all read it.
    That's the sort of justification the Tabs and Gossip mag Journo's use, that everyone is interested, but those who say they're not interested really are, read other peoples copies, but won't admit it publicly.

To be honest forgot who he was, but the name rang a bell, so took a looksee.
    Back to Bugsy Malone.