Options

Sunday trading laws before Christmas

Comments

• Options
    RubricalRubrical Posts: 2,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope England (and the rest of the UK if it Sunday trading laws apply there too) keep it the way it is. Seems mad to me that in this climate of spend, spend, spend and must have and must have now culture it hasn't been changed, but I like the idea of having that special day in the week that's unlike every other day and is more family orientated.

Or am I just talking bollocks?
  • Options
    BahtatBahtat Posts: 756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    scotch wrote: »
    Tesco, ASDA and Sainsburys all have branches in Edinburgh which are fully 24/7 - they never close. Though I think they have to renew their licence each yherar and the drink aisles are closed off during the night.

The law doesn't apply in Scotland, and if IIRC it never has, although someone may correct me on that. This is about England (I think it applies in Wales too).
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bahtat wrote: »
    But there's no good reason for having the law in the first place. All it restricts is how long customers can purchase from stores. It doesn't restrict how long staff have to work and indeed they do work when the store is closed, stocking shelves cleaning etc. The law isn't to give staff some rest, it only exists because of pressure from Christian groups who have a bee in their bonnet about Sundays.

I think you will find the trade unions also actually oppose extended hours, and that isn't to do with religion that is about the staff.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But there's no good reason for having the law in the first place. All it restricts is how long customers can purchase from stores. It doesn't restrict how long staff have to work and indeed they do work when the store is closed, stocking shelves cleaning etc. The law isn't to give staff some rest, it only exists because of pressure from Christian groups who have a bee in their bonnet about Sundays.

You are forgetting USDAW the UK's fourth largest Union who are the biggest opponents of extending Sunday hours. Christian groups are a much smaller opponent and many of those oppose it for reasons non religious people can agree with as well, time for rest and family time etc .
  • Options
    Dragonlady 25Dragonlady 25 Posts: 8,587
    Forum Member
    dearmrman wrote: »
    I think you will find the trade unions also actually oppose extended hours, and that isn't to do with religion that is about the staff.

Exactly. What about a day for family? In germany they have no Sunday or 24 opening as far as I can gather from German friends. They manage, just like we used to.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally I would rather the Government make it so that Retail Parks & Supermarkets would have to close on Sunday.....bring people back to the high street by letting those retailers open when they want and lift parking restrictions for Sunday's.
  • Options
    BahtatBahtat Posts: 756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

But many of the staff still work even when it's closed, so I don't know why they oppose it.
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    What about a day for the family to most people Sunday is just another day even if they are home the kids are locked in their rooms on their game consoles or chatting with friends on Facebook.

Others are just doing their own thing watching TV or whatever.

I haven't done anything different today than I would have it if had being any other day of the week.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But many of the staff still work even when it's closed, so I don't know why they oppose it.

They don't mind workers having a choice to work on Sunday, they are worried that they will be forced to work on Sunday if they don't want too, and trust me in retail they will.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Personally I would rather the Government make it so that Retail Parks & Supermarkets would have to close on Sunday.....bring people back to the high street by letting those retailers open when they want and lift parking restrictions for Sunday's.

What about the ones who only get Sunday off work and have to do the main food shop that day.

That will only make life a lot harder for them
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about the ones who only get Sunday off work and have to do the main food shop that day.

They have 24 hour supermarkets, supermarkets even deliver...there are other shops that sell food not just supermarkets...but the first two points address any real problem.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It makes one wonder how we managed prior to 1994 and with shorter shopping hours on other days than we have now. Consumers only need to look at themselves to realise the reason there are longer working hours is due to consumers demanding more choice and when they get it then demanding more.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They have 24 hour supermarkets, supermarkets even deliver...there are other shops that sell food not just supermarkets...but the first two points address any real problem.

so they are supposed to shop after work

The carer I mentioned she starts at 7am and that means she has to be in that persons house at 7am she she has to be up and out by 6.30 am she is often still working at 10.30 pm so after all that she is supposed to go on a shop and the delivery hours don't start until after she's gone or stop before she's back.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    skp20040 wrote: »
    It makes one wonder how we managed prior to 1994 and with shorter shopping hours on other days than we have now. Consumers only need to look at themselves to realise the reason there are longer working hours is due to consumers demanding more choice and when they get it then demanding more.

I imagine it was a lot harder some jobs like carers and nursing you can't just pick and choose your hours and if Sunday is your day off what are you supposed to do for shopping if everything is closed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The carer I mentioned she starts at 7am and that means she has to be in that persons house at 7am she she has to be up and out by 6.30 am she is often still working at 10.30 pm so after all that she is supposed to go on a shop and the delivery hours don't start until after she's gone or stop before she's back.

Yes. And to be honest with those hours, it will be a far more rewarding experience doing a supermarket shop after work with hardly anyone else around, then it will be battling with everyone else on a Sunday. On Sunday they can then truly relax.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

So this carer is working non stop 93 hours per week ? 7am to 10.30pm six days a week ? No one else is ever at home to receive a delivery . If that is the case then to me 6 hours for the supermarket on a Sunday is still enough time.
    I imagine it was a lot harder some jobs like carers and nursing you can't just pick and choose your hours and if Sunday is your day off what are you supposed to do for shopping if everything is closed.

Yet people still managed to manage their time.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    I', sure Dare Devil's got something to say about the matter.
    BTW what happened to her?
  • Options
    Forum Member

Issues like this were taken into consideration when rotas were drawn up. They had to be.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's amazing how this Country survived two World Wars...imagine if one happened now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So this carer is working non stop 93 hours per week ? 7am to 10.30pm six days a week ? No one else is ever at home to receive a delivery . If that is the case then to me 6 hours for the supermarket on a Sunday is still enough time.

She lives alone

I wouldn't say none stop but the hours do vary she may get a 2 hours brake here and there but not enough time to go out and get everything she needs and even then if another carer falls ill they have to cover for them I've seen that happen when they have seeing here they get a call "Betty" is ill so you have to fit her work in during any free spaces.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's amazing how this Country survived two World Wars...imagine if one happened now.

Ain't that the truth!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Issues like this were taken into consideration when rotas were drawn up. They had to be.

Not always I know more than a few outside the family the people I know best are carers as they are really the only people I get to meet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Not always I know more than a few outside the family the people I know best are carers as they are really the only people I get to meet.

I'm talking about the days before shops opened on a Sunday.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm talking about the days before shops opened on a Sunday.

Ok

But it still must have being hard as even then they must have had to cover if a college suddenly got ill it's not like the people relying on you can wait or not bother
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Ironically in 1994 we had (in my opinion) better High Streets, more choice, more quality and more variety!

Look at any of our European neighbours and none of them have streets full of pound shops, bargain clothes shops and charity shops. Nor are they full of coffee shops. Shopping in Europe is actually better without Sunday hours, massive Tescos and endless retail parks!!

The fact that Germany closes from Saturday at 8pm until 10am Monday says a lot.