Options

Sunday trading laws before Christmas

Comments

• Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    Argos often trade their normal weekday hours on Sunday.

Which areas do they do that? Round here it's either 10-4 or 11-5 on Sundays
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »
    Which areas do they do that? Round here it's either 10-4 or 11-5 on Sundays

Several for example:-

Ilkeston 0900 - 1800
    Long Eaton 0900-1700
    Newark, Grantham & Louth 0900-1800
    Several of their London Stores
    Sale
    Liverpool Norris Green
    Prescott
    Borehamwood
    Enfield
    Letchworth
    Hitchin

Others as well
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't have too much opinion about the trading laws and whether they should be done away with but when I lived in England it was a bit of a bugbear that most retailers I wanted to go to chose to do 10-4 and by the time Mass was over it was usually 12 at the earliest. Then trains etc.

NI only have 5 hours though so be grateful for the extra hour!
  • Options
    Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    Dare Devil wrote: »
    All those for keeping Sunday trading laws please answer a simple question.

What is the difference between a retailer, with a retail area of 285m², trading for 8 hours on a Sunday and a retailer, with a retail area of 275m², trading for 8 hours on a Sunday?

That is what the Sunday trading law debate is about. That is it.

The same as any other law that is based around a number, you need to pick a number and thats the number they picked, based on store size.

one thing, Im happy for them to allow Sundays to be just as unrestricted as any other day, the only thing i am worried about is that people will end up leaving jobs, not because they dont want to work a longer sunday, but because there is no public transport in place to get them too and fro on a sunday at those times, provided public transport is updated and no one is forced into getting a costly taxi into work, i have no problem with it.

My current employer wanted us opening on new years day, currently no on eon the high street is open, there are no trains running AT ALL, they is one bus running to the next town that runs 3 times per day, out of 4 companies and 100 services 1 service is running, but we were told, if you are rota'd in for a shift, it is your reprehensibility to get in, so more taxis at double the tariff, luckily we convinced them it wasnt worth opening, but we could well have been forced into opening, meaning that for a lot of staff it was either a 1-2 hour walk or a £12 each way taxi for a 6 hour shift at minimum wage.

Im all for opening, but public transport needs sorted in the interim period.
  • Options
    Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    Argos often trade their normal weekday hours on Sunday. Many other shops that also can trade generally either close or work Sunday hours.

Most Argos stores are below the threshold of a "large store" to be affected by sunday trading laws, as Warehouses dont count, only the shop floor floor space, most only have a small front area, with catalogues and a few shelfs with stuff on them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gordie1 wrote: »
    Most Argos stores are below the threshold of a "large store" to be affected by sunday trading laws, as Warehouses dont count, only the shop floor floor space, most only have a small front area, with catalogues and a few shelfs with stuff on them.

I know, but they are one of the only retailers other than convenience stores that I know that trades longer on Sundays, when many others could also.
  • Options
    Dare DevilDare Devil Posts: 118,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Gordie1 wrote: »
    The same as any other law that is based around a number, you need to pick a number and thats the number they picked, based on store size.

one thing, Im happy for them to allow Sundays to be just as unrestricted as any other day, the only thing i am worried about is that people will end up leaving jobs, not because they dont want to work a longer sunday, but because there is no public transport in place to get them too and fro on a sunday at those times, provided public transport is updated and no one is forced into getting a costly taxi into work, i have no problem with it.

My current employer wanted us opening on new years day, currently no on eon the high street is open, there are no trains running AT ALL, they is one bus running to the next town that runs 3 times per day, out of 4 companies and 100 services 1 service is running, but we were told, if you are rota'd in for a shift, it is your reprehensibility to get in, so more taxis at double the tariff, luckily we convinced them it wasnt worth opening, but we could well have been forced into opening, meaning that for a lot of staff it was either a 1-2 hour walk or a £12 each way taxi for a 6 hour shift at minimum wage.

Im all for opening, but public transport needs sorted in the interim period.

Public transport is another that is seriously irritating!

This village only has a bus once every 2 hours between 9.45 and 5.45 Mon-Sat (no 3.45 bus on a Sat) and absolutely no buses on a Sunday or bank holidays. Trains? Don't think this place has heard of them yet.

It wouldn't be fair on the staff to have to work NYD with no public transport. Fine if the company paid for it, but they're not going to do that!
  • Options
    muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    scotch wrote: »
    Tesco, ASDA and Sainsburys all have branches in Edinburgh which are fully 24/7 - they never close. Though I think they have to renew their licence each yherar and the drink aisles are closed off during the night.
    Must be different in Scotland. Here Asda close at 4pm on Sunday but open again at midnight, technically on Monday. I shall be doing my Xmas shopping there in a few hours :D
    They have 24 hour supermarkets, supermarkets even deliver...there are other shops that sell food not just supermarkets...but the first two points address any real problem.
    When delivery on a weekend costs at least £5, it's not always viable for a person to spend what might be a 1/5th (or some large number) of their shopping budget on a delivery fee.
    I'm talking about the days before shops opened on a Sunday.
    Well lots of things were different in the past, some were better, some were worse. We aren't living in the past, we live in the present. Times change all the time - I imagine back in 1947 people were talking about life back in 1927 and how much better/worse it was. The world is evolving.
    reglip wrote: »
    If her only day off is sunday and she is working those hours thats the least of her problems she will die at 60. Carers and those who work for services that are 24/7 generally work shifts which gives them time for shopping. Generally if someone works 12 hour days as you describe they will only work 3 days for 3 weeks and 4 days for the 4th week so they will have time to shop
    What about those of us who are carers of family members, there are no set hours ;)
    Pucky wrote: »
    Looking at it another way, I'm sure that if Tesco, Sainsbury, Boots, Argos, Currys/PC World etc etc etc wanted to open longer on a Sunday they'd lobby the Government and the unions to try to change the Sunday trading laws? They must be happy with the status quo.

I was out this afternoon shopping and wandering around. We'd finished by 4 but it would have been nice to have had another hour or so to carry on.
    Seems more logical to do the 11-5 opening, they do that here in Bath ... after all, most people are not out and about shopping at 10am on a Sunday, although I'm sure some would choose to be.
    Argos often trade their normal weekday hours on Sunday. Many other shops that also can trade generally either close or work Sunday hours.
    Here Argos close at 4:30 on Sunday, but open late on week nights. It's always amusing watching them lock their car park (it's across from the big park here) and trap the cheeky drivers in for the night, those who decided to park there and head on over to the park or to nearby pubs :D

My only real gripe about Sunday hours is chemists; you can go to the Boots - about 25 minutes drive from me - where they open the chemist 24/7 - as they advertise it (you go to a little window outside and ring a bell, somebody comes to consult with you) except on a Sunday night, when nobody apparently gets ill ;) My Dad had the doctor out at 3:30 Sunday morning, he was able to call through to the Boots night chemist and have some medication prescribed and made up for him. and the doctor collected it. If that had been a Sunday night/Monday morning then it wouldn't have been the case.

In all the efforts to encourage people to stop using A&E for minor problems, it would seem logical to also have a chemist available for the few hours between 4pm and 7am on a Sunday night.

Our A&E has, admittedly, also got a walk-in clinic for minor ailments and illnesses but, if you have a child with a high temperature who you know just needs some paracetamol or ibuprofen and is vomiting a lot (as kids tend to get these vomiting sessions/stomach bugs which most parents know don't need more than some meds and a few days in bed), it would save a lot of time and sitting around in a waiting room to be able to go and get what's needed from the 24/7 (except Sunday night) chemist!

Not all A&E's have this facility either.

Better yet, if the supermarkets that had chemists on the premises - and this is an increasing number - WERE open 24/7 including Sundays, then the chemists could also be included on the rota of those who are open through the night.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know the last time it was debated on here, there was a petition up and running to be signed...from what I remember it seemed like the majority of people didn't actually care.
  • Options
    OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    England should follow Scotland's lead.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ovalteenie wrote: »
    England should follow Scotland's lead.

Except no one really cares that much.
  • Options
    Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    Oh its going to be fun for retail staff when they're doing 12 hour shifts 7 days a week aint it?

As you've observed well in supermarkets already, the set of staff who close a supermarket at 10pm are a completely different set who opened it at 8am. It's called shift work.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I know the last time it was debated on here, there was a petition up and running to be signed...from what I remember it seemed like the majority of people didn't actually care.

Yep, as with a lot of these things, it's too much effort and people cannot be bothered. People are just lazy that's all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, as with a lot of these things, it's too much effort and people cannot be bothered. People are just lazy that's all.

I wouldn't read it as lazy, it was more a case that it had no bearing on the vast majority of peoples lives to make the slightest bit of difference.
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    reglip wrote: »
    Seems a strange way to work? All the carers are on call? How do they decide who to ring? Is it like an agency you mean and she works anywhere at any time and the agency ring when they want someone? She needs to leave the house and do things. You cant just sit indoors and wait for a phone call from an agency you need to go and do the things you need to do. If its like that the agency doesnt need you within 20 minutes you will have time to finish shopping and go home surely you get a couple of hours notice

No they have a normal style rota with their set hours for that week but if another member of staff gets ill or is called away for a reason like their kid is ill then others have to cover their hours for them as you can't just leave the old and disabled with nobody.

Sometimes they try to fit it in where they can other times they have to go at a certain time as they have to give medication or cook meals.
    So they have a have to have mobile phone so the bosses can get in contact with them to give them more jobs or even take jobs away if the person who needs care cancels or is taken to hospital
  • Options
    Forum Member
    People are just lazy that's all.

You're desperately clutching at straws there, refusing to accept that people simply do not care. It means they're happy as things are. But I suspect most people would appreciate the freedom of being able to shop any time on any day, especially with more shift and part time workers than ever before. The fact they have six out of seven days to do that already means it's not something they get worked up about.

I loved it when supermarkets were open later on Sundays during the Olympics, and suspected they were also testing the water for removing the restrictions completely at some point. However, it was also my observation that even the massive 24-hour supermarkets were completely dead after 5-6pm on a Sunday, with just me and one or two others with hand baskets wandering around. I doubt it was a profitable experience for most retailers, so if anyone is least in favour of free Sunday trading, it's probably large shops and supermarkets!

It reminds me of when they lifted the restrictions on pubs opening between 11am-11pm, and morons were foaming at the mouth with predictions that the streets would be full of passed-out drunks and angry mobs would be running amok at 4am smashing the place up. It turned out that when you have a job, family and plenty else to be getting on with in life, you don't have 24 hours every day to spend in a pub... so most pubs still open 11am-11pm because those are the hours our free market dictates make most sense.
  • Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member

I would not say people are lazy, i would just say its not a big thing to them either way which i think is more likely the case as its not really effecting peoples lives in a big way is it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    i'm already rota'd to work BD, NYE/NYD anyway and I can't see the point or
    nessecity myself but hoing two/three days and shopping at normal hours is hardly a matter of life or death is it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    You're desperately clutching at straws there, refusing to accept that people simply do not care. It means they're happy as things are. But I suspect most people would appreciate the freedom of being able to shop any time on any day, especially with more shift and part time workers than ever before. The fact they have six out of seven days to do that already means it's not something they get worked up about.

I loved it when supermarkets were open later on Sundays during the Olympics, and suspected they were also testing the water for removing the restrictions completely at some point. However, it was also my observation that even the massive 24-hour supermarkets were completely dead after 5-6pm on a Sunday, with just me and one or two others with hand baskets wandering around. I doubt it was a profitable experience for most retailers, so if anyone is least in favour of free Sunday trading, it's probably large shops and supermarkets!

It reminds me of when they lifted the restrictions on pubs opening between 11am-11pm, and morons were foaming at the mouth with predictions that the streets would be full of passed-out drunks and angry mobs would be running amok at 4am smashing the place up. It turned out that when you have a job, family and plenty else to be getting on with in life, you don't have 24 hours every day to spend in a pub... so most pubs still open 11am-11pm because those are the hours our free market dictates make most sense.

It is laziness. It's like it with a lot of campaigns/votes. People cannot be bothered.

If without, restricts retailers keep to the same hours, then so be it. Atleast then it'd be their choice and not necessarily dictated to by law. It's a about choice.

I also liked it when there were no restrictions during the Olympics. I noticed towards the end of the 6 weeks it was starting to get more people in. I work every Sunday, so if I need/want to pop to the shops, I can't on a Sunday. You say, it might not be profitable for a big supermarket to trade into the evening on a Sunday, but these stores are staffed 24/7 so when they shut the door at 4 or 5pm on a Sunday, they're already losing money by not trading.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    There's an idea for a Music of Erich Zann style horror story pr Twilight Zone epidsode.
    Somebody HAS to go shopping every day and queues up early in the morning for the sales otherwises something very nasty'll happen to them or they go missing...
  • Options
    phill363phill363 Posts: 24,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I work in retail and most shops do have workers in after the customers have left at 5 most probably until 22 - 00 even over night. I think leading up the Christmas they should allow shops to open late on Sundays or even abolish the trading laws for the whole of December in exchange for having shops completely closed on Boxing Day
  • Options
    Forum Member
    phill363 wrote: »
    I work in retail and most shops do have workers in after the customers have left at 5 most probably until 22 - 00 even over night. I think leading up the Christmas they should allow shops to open late on Sundays or even abolish the trading laws for the whole of December in exchange for having shops completely closed on Boxing Day

Both my local Aldi and Lidl have staff wandering around inside for hours after they close on Sundays, and for a long time after hours weekdays too. They're both closed for Christmas and Boxing day, though that doesn't mean staff won't be in there doing something.

The irony is that most of the staff in Aldi are Polish or from other Eastern European countries, so their day is Christmas Eve - and they have to work it. But they get Christmas Day off - which they don't care about.
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My local Asda stores are doing a really odd 'shift' today (Monday). They aren't open until midnight! :confused:

Christmas hours...
    Fri 19th Dec 24 hours
    Sat 20th Dec Closes at 11pm
    Sun 21st Dec 10am - 4pm
    Mon 22nd Dec Opens at Midnight
    Tue 23rd Dec 24 hours
    Christmas Eve Closes at 7pm
    Christmas Day Closed
    Boxing Day 9am - 6pm
    Sat 27th Dec 8am - 10pm
    Sun 28th Dec 10am - 4pm
    Mon 29th Dec Opens at 8am
    Tue 30th Dec 24 hours
    New Year's Eve Closes at 7pm
    New Year's Day 10am - 6pm
    Fri 2nd Jan Opens at 8am
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The irony is that most of the staff in Aldi are Polish or from other Eastern European countries, so their day is Christmas Eve - and they have to work it. But they get Christmas Day off - which they don't care about.
    :confused::confused::confused:
    Ever asked a Pole about Christmas?
    It tends to go on for some time. Christmas Day is a big family day.
  • Options
    muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    My local Asda stores are doing a really odd 'shift' today (Monday). They aren't open until midnight! :confused:

Christmas hours...
    Fri 19th Dec 24 hours
    Sat 20th Dec Closes at 11pm
    Sun 21st Dec 10am - 4pm
    Mon 22nd Dec Opens at Midnight
    Tue 23rd Dec 24 hours
    Christmas Eve Closes at 7pm
    Christmas Day Closed
    Boxing Day 9am - 6pm
    Sat 27th Dec 8am - 10pm
    Sun 28th Dec 10am - 4pm
    Mon 29th Dec Opens at 8am
    Tue 30th Dec 24 hours
    New Year's Eve Closes at 7pm
    New Year's Day 10am - 6pm
    Fri 2nd Jan Opens at 8am
    Asda opened about 18 minutes ago (midnight)... heading there fairly soon myself to avoid the masses :D