Options

Worst advert on TV at the moment (Part 11)

Comments

• Options
    China GirlChina Girl Posts: 2,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grauniad wrote: »
    That bloody twee woman in the toothpaste ad.

Is that the one with the weird dark eyes? they stare right through you.
  • Options
    grauniadgrauniad Posts: 7,966
    Forum Member
    China Girl wrote: »
    Is that the one with the weird dark eyes? they stare right through you.

Oral B. on again just now, and I want to throw something.
  • Options
    WillpurryWillpurry Posts: 2,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are we still getting upset by adverts? This might help some of you.

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/psychiatry/Pages/Definition.aspx
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    I've been reading these forums over the last few months, some hilarious stuff on here - in fact it's the main reason I activated my account!

While I'm here I might as well post about what's definitely one of the worst ads I've ever seen, just two little words... Asda Advert.

"When you're smiling... keep on smAAHHHLIN... and the whole world sm-ahh-les with yooooOOOOUUUUU-AHHHHH!" :o
  • Options
    Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been reading these forums over the last few months, some hilarious stuff on here - in fact it's the main reason I activated my account!

While I'm here I might as well post about what's definitely one of the worst ads I've ever seen, just two little words... Asda Advert.

"When you're smiling... keep on smAAHHHLIN... and the whole world sm-ahh-les with yooooOOOOUUUUU-AHHHHH!" :o

As sung by Jahmene Douglas, former Asda employee and runner up on The X Factor in 2012.
  • Options
    Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to Cheryl Cole thingy me bob doo dah, she sprays gold hairspray on her hair when she goes out to knit.
  • Options
    RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That one with a breathy bloke singing 'better shape up' like a dirge.

What next? 'It's raining men' sung like a tortured, breathy prayer?

Honestly.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    The Interflora advert with the grinning buffoon faced, Mark Wright >:(>:(>:(
  • Options
    albion-mad-nickalbion-mad-nick Posts: 4,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The dying children charity ads are really ramping up now, complete with sad music to guilt trip you further.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    Speak of the devil, the NSPCC ad is another one - a twee asthmatic girl sings Slade's "Merry X-Mas Everybody" sounding like she's about to commit suicide! :(
  • Options
    Billy_BoyBilly_Boy Posts: 47
    Forum Member
    Watched Escape to the Country on Really this afternoon and during one single break there were 3 begging adverts. They have changed from chugging to tugging! (TV)
  • Options
    nemesisisnemesisis Posts: 6,180
    Forum Member
    :o the one that makes me cringe the most is the Chloe perfume ad - the bloke sounds really pervy - I mute this every time. Makes me wonder about the marketing team that approved this - yuk
  • Options
    jendejende Posts: 21,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has to be after shave and/or perfume ads. Basically they show some models/famous person faffing about in some pretensious manner where in some cases a 'deep' statement is made, which actually means zilch. I guess they hope everyone will believe they too could turn into these 'beautiful' people by paying a stupid amount of money for some chemicals with a smell you can't even explain... So yeah, that bugs me a bit :D Around this time of the year the adverts seem overloaded with this load of twaddle!
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do enjoy adverts that suggest Stella Artois is some kind of high end premium product, such as they are running on USA tv, and UK bus stops at present.

It's usually known by the nickname wifebeater where I am.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 253
    Forum Member
    The dying children charity ads are really ramping up now, complete with sad music to guilt trip you further.

The composer must be raking it in with all these ads. A few random minor chords played for 30-60 seconds. Must be the same person who does the same stuff for the blubby reunions in TV programmes. >:(
    Maybe though it's a library CD: 'Mawkish Piano Melodies vol. 5'
  • Options
    Hearts5 Hibs1Hearts5 Hibs1 Posts: 68
    Forum Member
    All the begging adverts to help other countries.

Oh and Jools Holland's cheesy grin!!
  • Options
    Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 9,063
    Forum Member
    victor mel wrote: »
    The House of Fraser ad where random people attempt to ssing Christmas songs.

Yep, they just get worse and worse. We now have the most insipid tuneless version of Silent Night ever seen/heard. She looks and sounds like she's drunk or something.

House of Fraser, well done on producing the crappest festive adverts for 2014. If that was your goal, you have succeeded.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ella Nut wrote: »
    Yep, they just get worse and worse. We now have the most insipid tuneless version of Silent Night ever seen/heard. She looks and sounds like she's drunk or something.

House of Fraser, well done on producing the crappest festive adverts for 2014. If that was your goal, you have succeeded.

Definitely the worst Christmas advert this year. It is even worse than some the Apprentices might come up with on The Apprentice.

Who wants to be like the people in that advert?
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,697
    Forum Member
    Why do people think twee acoustic covers are a good idea?
    Specifically the one with "You're The One that I Want" where the guy sings "You'd better shape up cause you need a man" :mad: I'm a man and I'm offended
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Re the J20 advert.

NO! Irish folk music and crappy street dancing are NOT TWO great things. :mad:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    The co-op advert. Bloody parsnips.
  • Options
    TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Re the J20 advert.

NO! Irish folk music and crappy street dancing are NOT TWO great things. :mad:

I managed to miss this "gem" of advertising brilliance until today, so I feel your pain....
  • Options
    GoCompareThisGoCompareThis Posts: 10,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Vodafone advert with all those t**ts singing the bloody 'Let It Go' song! ARGH MY EARS! >:(
  • Options
    EStaffs90EStaffs90 Posts: 13,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can I nominate all supermarket Christmas adverts?

At least we'll only have to put up with them until about 6pm on Wednesday - but we'll get Boxing Day sales and Weight Watchers/Slimming World ads instead. :(
  • Options
    Futurama-FanFuturama-Fan Posts: 932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I made my point about all the charity adverts before, however today I have seen just how bad they have became this year.

Can't remember the charity (and if I did I wouldn't give them the free publicity) that had a voiceover that is basically the following:-

(Video of Starving African Child drinking dirty water #1)
    Voice Over:
    Today this child will have to drink this dirty water. He doesn't want to but he has no choice.
    (Video Fades to black with message saying 'Has no Choice'. Video then fades back in with Starving African Child drinking dirty water #2)
    Voice Over: Today this child will have to walk 5 miles just to drink this dirty water. He has no choice.
    (Video fades to black with message saying 'Has no Choice'. Video then fades back in with African mother feeding baby dirty water)
    Voice Over:
    This mother doesn't want to provide her infant with water that could cuse blindness or death but she has not choice.
    (Video now has African mother looking up and directly at the camera with pleading eyes)
    Voice Over:
    BUT YOU DO HAVE A CHOICE.

At this point I just turned over as I will not be blackmailed or guilted into donating via an advert (or as they call them 'an appeal').

Don't get me wrong I am not against charity. And I'm also not against charities advertising on TV, but I am against the current trend of the last 5 year or so of using emotional blackmail.

Ten years ago a charity providing clean drinking water would have ran an advert that was simple, factual and honest with a voice over calmly stating who they are, why they want a donation to build drinking wells and then giving the number to call if you wished to make to a donation.
This discussion has been closed.