Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 62)

Comments

• Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As noted here - http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=76158503&postcount=103

Tonight's episode of Celebrity Mastermind was meant to be shown next week as the original episode tonight was meant to have Joe Cocker as a chosen subject - so one of the episodes next week will either be a repeat or something different will be shown in that slot.
  • Options
    A.D.PA.D.P Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    As noted here - http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=76158503&postcount=103

Tonight's episode of Celebrity Mastermind was meant to be shown next week as the original episode tonight was meant to have Joe Cocker as a chosen subject - so one of the episodes next week will either be a repeat or something different will be shown in that slot.

If they get estate permission by then they might be able to complete a straight swap.

An " in memory of" would be nice.
  • Options
    basdfgbasdfg Posts: 6,764
    Forum Member
    I predict Eastenders to lose 100k-200k tonight because E4 Hollyoaks was an hour long.
  • Options
    A.D.PA.D.P Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    basdfg wrote: »
    I predict Eastenders to lose 100k-200k tonight because E4 Hollyoaks was an hour long.

I think it will nudge up tonight, strong storylines converging and building up now and little competition,
  • Options
    dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,288
    Forum Member
    The BBC know the press focus on Eastenders ratings more than any other rating so a first episode up against Emmerdale or Corrie would be low enough for large amount of negative press from the usual Suspects .Imagine the press coverage for a sub 7m episode on Christmas Day. Miranda may be dented but the press wont focus on that.
    The BBC could have avoided the ITV soaps.
    6:00pm EastEnders (ITV soaps start at 7:00pm anyway)

4:50pm-Strictly
    6:05pm-EastEnders
    6:35pm-Dr Who
    7:35pm-CTM
    8:45pm-Miranda
    9:15pm-EastEnders
    9:45pm-Mrs Browns Boys
    10:20pm-Michael McIntyre

I think that would have worked. Downton and CTM missing eachother.
    EastEnders and ITV soaps missing each other.

Strictly starting early wouldn't be a problem I think seeing as it's Christmas day.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    A.D.P wrote: »
    I think it will nudge up tonight, strong storylines converging and building up now and little competition,
    There are some cross over fans I've noticed.
    I do think Hollyoaks will dent EastEnders more than it does with Emmerdale.

Both EastEnders & Hollyoaks had 3 trends on twitter each tonight though.
  • Options
    guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member

I agree with you, of course Hollyoaks doesn't get that much, but there will be some cross over that will dent it slightly. People are always quick to call things excuses when people claim something that doesn't rate that well could dent another programme, but something doesn't have to rate highly to dent another programme, it just has to share a similar type of audience.

As for Christmas Day, there's no way an early episode would have held up, it was either stick with the original schedule, which would have clashed with Corrie since ITV clearly weren't budging, or make it an hour. They didn't have many options, the schedule they've gone with is the right one given the position they were in.
  • Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    I agree with you, of course Hollyoaks doesn't get that much, but there will be some cross over that will dent it slightly. People are always quick to call things excuses when people claim something that doesn't rate that well could dent another programme, but something doesn't have to rate highly to dent another programme, it just has to share a similar type of audiences.

As for Christmas Day, there's no way an early episode would have held up, it was either stick with the original schedule, which would have clashed with Corrie since ITV clearly weren't budging, or make it an hour. They didn't have many options, the schedule they've gone with is the right one given the position they were in.

Dare I say drop CTM ? ;-)
  • Options
    ronantronant Posts: 4,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    Thanks Ronant.

A waste of a movie premiere I thought. How did Never Mind The Buzzcocks and Brian Pern do on BBC2 last night?

And what do you think will be most watched on Christmas Day?

NMTB - 1.40m (7.1%)
    Brian Pern 0.61m (3.9%)

Hmm, well I'd probably go for Mrs Brown's Boys. Only Miranda could beat it I think but its 7.15 slot makes it difficult to predict. Will that slot help or hinder it? I'm erring on the side of it being a help and giving it a bit of a boost, so it could give MBB a run for its money. Not confident enough to put money on anything this year though.
  • Options
    iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »

Tonight's episode was billed on the Sky EPG as 9 of 10. The episode scheduled for Friday 2nd January is 7 of 10 so tonight's episode would have gone out no earlier than 4th January.

It'll be a straight swap of episodes. There will be no reason whatsoever to cancel the episode indefinitely. it's hardly going to say anything offensive about him. It's simply the BBC showing sensitivity to his family by putting a gap between his death and the transmission of the episode.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I agree with you, of course Hollyoaks doesn't get that much, but there will be some cross over that will dent it slightly. People are always quick to call things excuses when people claim something that doesn't rate that well could dent another programme, but something doesn't have to rate highly to dent another programme, it just has to share a similar type of audiences.

Exactly so. If Hollyoaks takes 200k off EastEnders tonight you will notice it.
    The BBC figure could be up as it starts earlier at 10;25pm (11pm Tomorrow and Thursday)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ronant wrote: »
    NMTB - 1.40m (7.1%)
    Brian Pern 0.61m (3.9%)

Hmm, well I'd probably go for Mrs Brown's Boys. Only Miranda could beat it I think but its 7.15 slot makes it difficult to predict. Will that slot help or hinder it? I'm erring on the side of it being a help and giving it a bit of a boost, so it could give MBB a run for its money. Not confident enough to put money on anything this year though.

I am going for Miranda although you can bet now it will be a MBB landslide.
  • Options
    guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    Dare I say drop CFM ? ;-)

You could, but we all know they weren't going to do that. I was thinking of options they'd be considering, not ones we think they should.

Not looking forward to round two of moaning about schedules on Boxing Day when the ratings come in, I'm sure we'll be told once again how much better the people of this thread are than the "idiot schedulers".

One rating I'm not looking forward to is That Day We Sang, I think it's been built up too much on here and could end up disappointing, which will no doubt be down to "poor scheduling" (Boxing Day, against a film which should attract a different audience, such a poor slot ;)) or that "it should have been on BBC One" (because BBC Two is so hard to find, and should only air BBC One's scraps and not be allowed commission its own hits.)
  • Options
    Tindie_BaisTindie_Bais Posts: 2,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dan2008 wrote: »
    There are some cross over fans I've noticed.
    I do think Hollyoaks will dent EastEnders more than it does with Emmerdale.

Both EastEnders & Hollyoaks had 3 trends on twitter each tonight though.

I am a fan of both , I went for Eastenders tonight

I am going to have one lazy xmas eve tormorow. I will be on the couch from 6:30 to 9:00 watching
    6:30oaks
    7:30 a bit of corrie
    8 eastenders
    8:30 frist look oaks E4+1
  • Options
    jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,445
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I reckon The Royle Family repeat will do well for BBC One tonight. There isn't much on elsewhere and it's perfect viewing in the run up to the big day.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You could, but we all know they weren't going to do that. I was thinking of options they'd be considering, not ones we think they should.

Not looking forward to round two of moaning about schedules on Boxing Day when the ratings come in, I'm sure we'll be told once again how much better the people of this thread are than the "idiot schedulers".

One rating I'm not looking forward to is That Day We Sang, I think it's been built up too much on here and could end up disappointing, which will no doubt be down to "poor scheduling" (Boxing Day, against a film which should attract a different audience, such a poor slot ;)) or that "it should have been on BBC One" (because BBC Two is so hard to find, and should only air BBC One's scraps and not be allowed commission its own hits.)

Your probably correct in that we go on too much about the schedulers but there do seem to be some clangers to me - but lets see what the ratings say.
  • Options
    nick202nick202 Posts: 9,919
    Forum Member
    jlp95bwfc wrote: »
    I reckon The Royle Family repeat will do well for BBC One tonight. There isn't much on elsewhere and it's perfect viewing in the run up to the big day.

It should do ok, although it's reminding me how abysmal the Christmas 'specials' from 2008 onwards have been.
  • Options
    iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Your probably correct in that we go on too much about the schedulers but there do seem to be some clangers to me - but lets see what the ratings say.

I think BBC1's Christmas Day schedule is brilliant. Nice selection of programmes and all in the right slot and order. I don't even mind Call The Midwife being in there.

Incidentally, I've been looking back at Midwife's "flop" performances from the last two Christmases. The 5th highest rated BBC1 programme of the week in 2012 and the 6th highest rated in 2013. You can see why the BBC have kept it on Christmas Day.
  • Options
    Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jlp95bwfc wrote: »

Probably but it's one if those unfunny episodes from later on where most of the characters turned into daft charactures and not realistic people you could relate to.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

People who were at the recordings of both MBB shows said they were absolutely hilarious
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

People who were at the recordings of both MBB shows said they were absolutely hilarious and cast members thought they were the best they'd ever done:D
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Monday 22nd December 2014 - Overnights
    BBC One
    16:00 - FILM: Cinderella: 2.39m (19.7%)
    17:15 - Pointless Celebrities: 4.14m (25%)
    18:00 - BBC News at Six: 5.79m (30%)
    18:30 - BBC Regional News: 6.46m (32%)
    19:00 - Celebrity Mastermind: 4.59m (22%)
    20:00 - EastEnders: 6.79m (29.4%) / +3: 329k (2.0%)
    21:00 - John Bishop's Christmas: 4.20m (18.2%)
    22:00 - BBC News at Ten: 5.315m (27%)

BBC Two
    16:15 - Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em: 0.88m (7.4%)
    19:30 - TOTP2: 1.5m (6.5%)
    21:00 - The Wrong Man's: 1.95m (8.5%)
    22:00 - Never Mind the Buzzcocks: 1.5m (7.3%)
    22:30 - Brian Pern: A Life in Rock: 714k (4.3%)

ITV (inc +1)
    14:55 - FILM: The Railway Children: 1.04m (10.0%)
    19:00 - Emmerdale: 6.15m (28.8%) / 6.29m (29.5%)
    19:30 - Coronation Street: 7.31m (32.8%) / 7.43m (33.4%)
    20:30 - Coronation Street: 7.15m (29.5%) / 7.26m (30.0%)
    21:00 - Tsunami: Survivors’ Stories: 2.9m (12.5%)

Channel 4 (inc +1)
    16:00 - Deal or No Deal: 0.95m (8.2%)
    18:30 - Hollyoaks: 1.08m (5.3%) exc +1
    21:00 - Food Unwrapped’s Christmas Dinner: 1.1m (4.7%)
    22:00 - Derek: 890k (5.0%)

Channel 5 (inc +1)
    18:55 - The World’s Strongest Man: 811k (3.7%)
    21:00 - Michael Buble’s Christmas 2014: 1.2m (5.0%)

BBC Three
    19:30 - FILM: Shrek: 1.21m (5.3%)
    20:50 - The Pig Who Cried Werewolf: 784k (3.2%)
    21:00 - Don't Tell The Bride: Let It Snow! 588k (2.6%)
    23:25 - Family Guy: 554k (5.4%)
    23:45 - American Dad! 546k (6.4%)

E4 (inc +1)
    19:00 - Hollyoaks: 615k (2.9%) / 727k (3.4%)
    21:00 - Made in Chelsea: 818k (3.6%)

ITV2 (inc +1)
    21:00 - Through the Christmas Keyhole: 665k (2.9%)

ITV3 (inc +1)
    21:00 - Midsomer Murders: 953k (4.1%)

Sky1 (inc +1)
    21:00 - Stella Christmas Special: 441k (2.0%)

Sky Sports 1
    19:00 - Live Ford Monday Night Football: 765k (3.5%)

Sources: Broadcast, DS, ITV Media, MG, Overnights.tv, ronant. Where percentages for terrestrial channels are given to 1.d.p., it means the number is not tape-checked.

I think most sites include +1 by default these days, hopefully the above gives a clear picture in any case. :)
  • Options
    burbeburbe Posts: 1,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    17:15 - Pointless Celebrities: 4.14m (25%)
    18:00 - BBC News at Six: 5.79m (30%)
    18:30 - BBC Regional News: 6.46m (32%)
    19:00 - Celebrity Mastermind: 4.59m (22%)

Wow - a very solid set of ratings in the early evening for BBC One. I don't think Cinderella did too badly either considering it had no promotion. The Regional News was probably boosted by Reporting Scotland following yesterday's tragic events in Glasgow. Only 300k behind EastEnders though!
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    People who were at the recordings of both MBB shows said they were absolutely hilarious

They've picked a naff joke for the endless trails on 5Live.

As unfunny as the one episode we sat through.
  • Options
    Roscoe BarnesRoscoe Barnes Posts: 6,360
    Forum Member
    I know there's been a lot of talk about the soaps on this thread lately (or indeed the whole year) - but it's totally warranted. What a grim set of numbers to start off Christmas Week. I just don't get it. Yes, I know the quality isn't the best at the moment - but after a highly successful 2013 for the ITV soaps - January 2014 arrived and all of a sudden 1m viewers seem to switch off instantly, almost declaring this is the year I give up on the soaps and that trend has followed the whole year.

To be fair though - everything has been down pretty much. It's been a very disappointing year overall for TV ratings. I want to see some better numbers as we approach 2015 - but I fear the worse is yet to come. :(
This discussion has been closed.