Options

Last minute shopping....... on Xmas eve.

big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,155
Forum Member
✭✭
I had to nip into asda for a few bits. Toilet roll, fruit and some batteries etc

I've never seen as many people in my whole life. Asda was packed, every till was in operation, I only needed a few bits but it took me an hour and 15 minutes to get in and out, I only purchased around 10 items.

People had trolleys full of beer and drinks, loafs of people had 2 trolleys full of shopping.
Adults were behaving like animals as they were fighting each other over multi packs of Stella and carling.
One woman even moved a women's trolley out of the way of the till whilst the other woman nipped back down the aisle to get something else.
They started screaming and swearing at each other in front of their own kids and others.

Why is it that we leave shopping to the last minute and then when we do we panic buy half the store.?

Don't people realise that shops are only closed on Xmas day? It's like they are buying the food to prepare for the end of time.

If you thought black Friday was bad then today was like hell on earth .

Have anyone of you been shopping today and had a similar experience?

Comments

• Options
    Born lippyBorn lippy Posts: 2,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm scared to go out, reading these threads, but have to! :-s just to get last minute chocolate coins and stuff. But will have two kids with me, who have got into the habit of running off lately in shops and knocking down displays, god help me
  • Options
    bazzaroobazzaroo Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    Born lippy wrote: »
    I'm scared to go out, reading these threads, but have to! :-s just to get last minute chocolate coins and stuff. But will have two kids with me, who have got into the habit of running off lately in shops and knocking down displays, god help me

Good luck Lippy, managed to grab my bits (ooo errr!) earlier today and will be heading off to the pub shortly (insert smug smiley)

Have a good one! x
  • Options
    d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've only shopped on Christmas Eve once, when my older son had bought my younger son a computer game and it wasn't the right one - we dashed out just before the shops shut - it was very stressful and I would never do it again!
  • Options
    RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was going to go last night but was too tired. I'd done the 'present' shop apart from a couple of things, but not the food.

I went early this morning, Aldi and a few bits at the co -op and it was fine. Did a few bits for my Mum at the same time and was having coffee with her by ten.
  • Options
    ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    Just back from doing my Xmas food shopping and it was relatively quiet. All done in 40 mins.

The only bust was cocktail cherries but I'll nip out later to track some down.
  • Options
    GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Went into town at about 11.30 after the dentist and calling into the hospital to drop something off. It was no busier than a regular Saturday would be, apart from the huge queue for pre-ordered food in M&S. People must be queueing for an hour in there. The regular foodhall was no busier than usual.

I've been shopping most years on Xmas Eve and never found it any worse than any other day.
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

People had trolleys full of beer and drinks, loafs of people had 2 trolleys full of shopping.
    Adults were behaving like animals as they were fighting each other over multi packs of Stella and carling.
    One woman even moved a women's trolley out of the way of the till whilst the other woman nipped back down the aisle to get something else.
    They started screaming and swearing at each other in front of their own kids and others.

Why is it that we leave shopping to the last minute and then when we do we panic buy half the store?

It is behaviour I can well imagine having seen similar in Sainsbury's on Monday.

The supermarket is closed for just 24 hours for heaven's sake. When did people become so dependent on shopping and so nasty at the same time? We're supposed to be a civilised society. It's quite sad really :(
  • Options
    muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Arcana wrote: »
    Just back from doing my Xmas food shopping and it was relatively quiet. All done in 40 mins.

Don't forget that most supermarkets are closing earlier :) although I imagine that convenience stores might be the place to get little gems like that, they are probably open a bit later.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »
    It is behaviour I can well imagine having seen similar in Sainsbury's on Monday.

The supermarket is closed for just 24 hours for heaven's sake. When did people become so dependent on shopping and so nasty at the same time? We're supposed to be a civilised society. It's quite sad really :(
    I took my Mum shopping the other day, she quipped 'Is there a war on?' :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 294
    Forum Member
    80sfan wrote: »

If the government brought in food and water rationing then you would soon see how very uncivilised a society we would quickly become.
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    muggins14 wrote: »

My Mum loved a good quip.
    I hope you gave a suitable retort!
    :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think so, I replied 'Probably, at the checkout!' ... not sure if that was witty but she saw the joke :D
  • Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    If the government brought in food and water rationing then you would soon see how very uncivilised a society we would quickly become.

So true
  • Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    its actually quite quiet in my area the traffic is not so busy and the shops are as busy as they usually are
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bazzaroo wrote: »
    Good luck Lippy, managed to grab my bits (ooo errr!) earlier today and will be heading off to the pub shortly (insert smug smiley)

Have a good one! x
    Hahaha!! Well I would have asked you to grab mine too, but sounds like your hands were full ;-) merry Xmas to you n your Gothic mistress - have a drink for me!
  • Options
    Wee TinkersWee Tinkers Posts: 12,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh no, don't say that, I have to go out later - forgot to get the kids the traditional Christmas PJs and selection boxes to open tonight and figured Asda would be the handiest and quickest.

My husband said I'm being silly, they don't need them, but he's letting me tear on because he knows what I'm like. He did draw the line and tell me to wise up when I clapped my hands to face and said I hadn't got the kids a present from the dog yet. :blush:

Actually, thinking about the cheating husband thread I think it's stuff like that ^^^ That could drive him into the arms of another. And it would be entirely justified. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Read that as "my mum loved a good gulp" - what is this forum descending into..
  • Options
    sadmuppetsadmuppet Posts: 8,222
    Forum Member
    Arcana wrote: »

Me too - I was amazed at how empty Tesco was this morning - the biggest queue was at the pharmacy!

AND they seemed to have big stocks of almost everything still, including brandy butter, which in previous years has been sold out about three weeks before Christmas.

The only thing that they didn't have many of (only the value ones) was mince pies, and I don't like them anyway, so I didn't care! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    I had to nip into asda for some batteries

I've never seen as many people in my whole life. Asda was packed, every till was in operation, I only needed a few bits but it took me an hour and 15 minutes to get in and out, I only purchased around 10 items.

Why is it that we leave shopping to the last minute and then when we do we panic buy half the store.?

Don't people realise that shops are only closed on Xmas day? It's like they are buying the food to prepare for the end of time.

If you thought black Friday was bad then today was like hell on earth .

Have anyone of you been shopping today and had a similar experience?

The old chestnut:-batteries not included.
    Customers fighting of crates of Stella/Fosters? I'm glad Kronenbourg's my first lager of choice (has a nuclear strike on Britain been announced?)

If the customer 'pays my wages' I'm going to want:-
    Them to pay for taxies for the rest of the staff there and back this this afternoon, tonight, Boxing Day, New Year's Eve/New Year's Day
    a Christmas/new year bonus of fifty quid an hour.

Otherwise they're on their own and 'jus a few small items' (just as the door's about to be locked) NOTHING!!

I'm going to have to show this post to the others later.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh no, don't say that, I have to go out later - forgot to get the kids the traditional Christmas PJs and selection boxes to open tonight and figured Asda would be the handiest and quickest.

My husband said I'm being silly, they don't need them, but he's letting me tear on because he knows what I'm like. He did draw the line and tell me to wise up when I clapped my hands to face and said I hadn't got the kids a present from the dog yet. :blush:

Actually, thinking about the cheating husband thread I think it's stuff like that ^^^ That could drive him into the arms of another. And it would be entirely justified. :D
    He'll be running off with Santa when the hour comes tonight, just you watch ... they'll be eating carrots and mince pies with the reindeer, leaving you sobbing into your glass of milk all alone :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    muggins14 wrote: »

Judging by some of the posts on here, it sounds more like collapse of civilisation like the one described at the start of the second Mad Max film.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    motsy wrote: »
    Judging by some of the posts on here, it sounds more like collapse of civilisation like the one described at the start of the second Mad Max film.
    Haha! Yes, not far off :D
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 118,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have only been to a supermarket on Christmas Eve once, and that was enough. Just getting into the car park took ages. Never again.

I'll get what I need tomorrow. I don't need much. I am driving most of the day. A BP petrol station has an M&S inside and it's open 24/7 throughout the season. :cool: If they're out of stock, then tough on me ... I'll cope. :)
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The one time I had to get anything I was home pretty quickly.

Only delay was not being able to find the Shloer.
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm waiting for one of the presents that I have bought to still be delivered. I ordered it yesterday (Debenhams website) and was told that it will be delivered between 6pm and 10pm tonight. Now I am anxiously waiting and hoping it does. I've paid £7 to make sure it does. I've never got something so late before. :(