Options

Clinically dead pregnant woman being kept alive on life support

Comments

• Options
    irishfeenirishfeen Posts: 10,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Electra wrote: »
    I don't think it's a case of being 'in favour of the doctors'. They don't seem to want to be doing this.
    Yes the doctors in all likelihood seeked medical/legal advice to protect themselves from legal proceedings.
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Electra wrote: »
    I don't think it's a case of being 'in favour of the doctors'. They don't seem to want to be doing this.

I know that was bad wording but it shouldn't have made it to the High Court at all really.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does precedent apply in Ireland, so that any future cases this early on in pregnancy, the machine can be turned off without it ever getting to this? I get the impressions medics knew it was not viable but had to cover their arses. I am very pro choice but it's for the Irish people to fight and decide on their laws, Article eight does seem to cause issues based seemingly on ambiguity? maybe time for a redraft?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sure if it does. But seeing as it won't allow a woman to have an abortion when she's been told that her unborn baby won't survive, I would tend to doubt it.
  • Options
    TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    Not sure if it does. But seeing as it won't allow a woman to have an abortion when she's been told that her unborn baby won't survive, I would tend to doubt it.

that's absolutely despicable
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does precedent apply in Ireland, so that any future cases this early on in pregnancy, the machine can be turned off without it ever getting to this? I get the impressions medics knew it was not viable but had to cover their arses. I am very pro choice but it's for the Irish people to fight and decide on their laws, Article eight does seem to cause issues based seemingly on ambiguity? maybe time for a redraft?
    Yes there is legal precedent but this will probably only deal around where the child has no prospect of survival - had the child been likely to survive I think it would go the other way.

No government will go near article 8 for years, it's just too messy and troublesome.
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 139,146
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Namira wrote: »
    I hope this ends soon. Keeping a braindead, decomposing woman functioning on machines because of the "right to life" of something that isn't even a person? What a grotesque sideshow. It makes me sick thinking about what her family must be going through. This should not be happening in supposedly civilized countries.

You were once something that isn't a person. Those comments about a group of cells etc are just nonsensical imo.

Also comments about "civilised" countries just prove you know nothing about ireland
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Well people can go to the uk where abortion is ten a penny
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

They shouldn't have had to go to the UK though. These women were told their babies weren't going to survive and then were given no further support from the doctors in Ireland as to what to do next. They didn't make the abortion decision lightly but the lack of support they received from the Irish healthcare system was appalling.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Indeed and I'm proud we can offer women that choice.

I would probably be dead if it was not for my abortion.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

To be honest I am as proud that we Irish protect the life of every child - different cultures perhaps!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    They shouldn't have had to go to the UK though. These women were told their babies weren't going to survive and then were given no further support from the doctors in Ireland as to what to do next. They didn't make the abortion decision lightly but the lack of support they received from the Irish healthcare system was appalling.

I'm pro choice and irish. I would prefer to travel to the uk to have an abortion
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Well I'm very glad that your life was saved. I am not anti abortion in fact I'm pro choice but people seem to think anybody who's anti abortion must be a brainwashed catholic when that's not always the case.
  • Options
    TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member

Just because people are pro choice, does not mean they don't value life most of them just understand the complexities and grey areas that come with such things, so to quote you ... yes I am glad abortions are ten a penny in the UK
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TWS wrote: »
    Just because people are pro choice, does not mean they don't value life most of them just understand the complexities and grey areas that come with such things, so to quote you ... yes I am glad abortions are ten a penny in the UK
    You see I suppose it all depends on when you think the life of a person begins and when personally you value the life that has been created.
  • Options
    NamiraNamira Posts: 3,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You were once something that isn't a person. Those comments about a group of cells etc are just nonsensical imo.

Also comments about "civilised" countries just prove you know nothing about ireland

No more nonsensical than calling it a baby, or saying some crap like life begins at conception.

No, I know nothing about Ireland no. I just know that they keep dead women hooked up to machines because they are seen as vessels to birth children above all else there. They also refuse to give abortions to women even when the foetus is dead or dying inside them, and sometimes that leads to the death of a living person. Anyone remember Savita Halappanavar?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No more nonsensical than calling it a baby, or saying some crap like life begins at conception.

No, I know nothing about Ireland no. I just know that they keep dead women hooked up to machines because they are seen as vessels to birth children above all else there. They also refuse to give abortions to women even when the foetus is dead or dying inside them, and sometimes that leads to the death of a living person. Anyone remember Savita Halappanavar?
    Thankfully we have the United Kingdom alongside us which is perfect is absolutely every way....
  • Options
    MarellaKMarellaK Posts: 5,783
    Forum Member
    irishfeen wrote: »
    To be honest I am as proud that we Irish protect the life of every child - different cultures perhaps!

Not all Irish. Lots of Irish catholics have abortions - just not in Ireland.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MarellaK wrote: »
    Not all Irish. Lots of Irish catholics have abortions - just not in Ireland.
    I didn't say that they didn't ... but I am proud that abortion is not part of Irish culture, to see healthy children aborted is to me very hard to support.
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't say that they didn't ... but I am proud that abortion is not part of Irish culture, to see healthy children aborted is to me very hard to support.

Abortion should be a choice. To see any woman suffer and have no rights over her own body is impossible from me to support.

http://www.ipas.org/~/media/Files/Not%20Yet%20Rain%20Factsheets/NYR%20HR%20Abortion.pdf.ashx

I dread to think what this poor woman's family are going through and at Christmas.
  • Options
    duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Read the report on Savita and you will learn thst human error and negligence by a consultant were to blame and nothing to do with religion
    There are many cases of negligence in the UK too. Its not a reflection on the whole UK
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    anne_666 wrote: »
    Abortion should be a choice. To see any woman suffer and have no rights over her own body is impossible from me to support.

I dread to think what this poor woman's family are going through and at Christmas.
    This case is not about abortion.
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This case is not about abortion.

Oh come on. This has been gone over so many times now. That's why the Doctor's hands are tied is it and this has to be decided by law ?

The 8th amendment.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh come on. This has been gone over so many times now. That's why the Doctor's hands are tied is it and this has to be decided by law ?

The 8th amendment.
    The 8th Amendment of the Irish constitution didn't even mention "Abortion" - Abortion being banned is a by-product of the amendment.
    3° The State acknowledges the right to life of the
    unborn and, with due regard to the equal right to
    life of the mother, guarantees in its laws to
    respect, and, as far as practicable, by its laws to
    defend and vindicate that right.

You have to remember this was made law by 66.9% of the electorate - that's men and women btw... It did though lead to a very divisive debate - http://youtu.be/rJr6GWQOlCE?t=15m56s
  • Options
    duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The 8th amendment.

And at least some respect is given to an unborn baby and questions asked . Far preferable IMO than total disregard for the life of a 20/21/22/23/24 week gestation baby