Options

People panic buying at supermarkets before Christmas day?

Comments

• Options
    neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do people panic buy at supermarkets before Christmas day? the shop is only closed for one day yet people are buying loads of stuff like the world is about to end why do they do this?

Maybe they have better things to do on Boxing Day and the weekend than shop.
  • Options
    Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We've just come back from doing our Christmas food shopping in Makro in Rio. Hardly anyone in there, it was great! And everything fully stocked. Plenty of staff to assist (I had to get my friend's lovely little son to translate for me though cos I can't speak much portuguese). So there's a good tip for Christmas Eve food shopping. Would do again :)
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    neelia wrote: »

Sleep probably. They've been up all night queuing for a load of 'bargain' Next gear ;-)

Most (if not all) of it they'll have taken back for a refund before the weekend's out lol
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PhilH36 wrote: »
    When I first worked in a supermarket nearly thirty years ago, on Christmas Eve we closed at 2.30pm. God only knows how today's shoppers would cope with that!

If any large store tried to do that these days you would have news coverage, people screaming about how unjust it was, Twitter and Facebook campaigns, some slovenly cow with an obligatory miserable look on her spray tanned face posing for the Daily Mail to say how her children's Christmas had been ruined by said shop closing early as she only had 364 other days to shop. The Chairman of the company would have to be hauled before an enquiry, publicly apologise, offer to sacrifice his first born and then resign and a dedicated 24 hour help line opened and of course compensation offered.
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    skp20040 wrote: »
    If any large store tried to do that these days you would have news coverage, people screaming about how unjust it was, Twitter and Facebook campaigns, some slovenly cow with an obligatory miserable look on her spray tanned face posing for the Daily Mail to say how her children's Christmas had been ruined by said shop closing early as she only had 364 other days to shop. The Chairman of the company would have to be hauled before an enquiry, publicly apologise, offer to sacrifice his first born and then resign and a dedicated 24 hour help line opened and of course compensation offered.

It would be against their human rights as well :)

'Kwik Klaimz' would be overrun with compo claims for ruined Christmases
  • Options
    Grabid RanniesGrabid Rannies Posts: 4,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I, and others I know, have remarked on how much generally better behaved folk seem to have been about it all this year. As late as 6.15pm I was able to saunter into Tesco (closing at 7) and effortlessly acquire some tray bake-ready roasties and parsnips, another of tomorrow's pressures eased :)
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No chance...........they can't go without that long. Doors open up at 9am Boxing Day.

This is my local Asda hours;

Christmas hours...
    Christmas Eve Closes at 7pm
    Christmas Day Closed
    Boxing Day 9am - 6pm
    Sat 27th Dec 8am - 10pm
    Sun 28th Dec 10am - 4pm
    Mon 29th Dec Opens at 8am
    Tue 30th Dec 24 hours
    New Year's Eve Closes at 7pm
    New Year's Day 10am - 6pm
    Fri 2nd Jan Opens at 8am
  • Options
    Slarti BartfastSlarti Bartfast Posts: 6,607
    Forum Member

The funny thing is this post is more hysterical than anything I've seen in supermarkets recently. The fact that shops have been busy and people have bought a bit more for Christmas has got some of you worked right up! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    No chance...........they can't go without that long. Doors open up at 9am Boxing Day.

Christmas hours...
    Christmas Day Closed
    Boxing Day 9am - 6pm
    Sat 27th Dec 8am - 10pm
    Sun 28th Dec 10am - 4pm
    Tue 30th Dec 24 hours
    Fri 2nd Jan Opens at 8am
    You don't actually think it's th same people shopping each day a supermarket is open, surely. :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Christmas hours...
    Christmas Day Closed
    Boxing Day 9am - 6pm
    Sat 27th Dec 8am - 10pm
    Sun 28th Dec 10am - 4pm
    Tue 30th Dec 24 hours
    Fri 2nd Jan Opens at 8am

and this means that those of us stocking up in the last few days will be out on Boxing Day why?
  • Options
    NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Like eat half a dozen eggs,three loaves of bread and wash it down with a litre of milk.

The same folk who go mad when we have a light dusting of snow.>:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like eat half a dozen eggs,three loaves of bread and wash it down with a litre of milk.
    that amongst other things they have in for food. Not sure many will be just drinking the milk. It is a key ingredient in bread sauce not to mention all the tea's and coffees. Milk is a stable for the mundane and an ingredient in treat food too,
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How will I cope if I can't get frozen pizza on the day I need it? Do you think someone will deliver it? Would people really do that?
    *faints from carbohydrate & sugared tomato deprivation*
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You don't actually think it's th same people shopping each day a supermarket is open, surely. :confused:
    Wouldn't be surprised.
    and this means that those of us stocking up in the last few days will be out on Boxing Day why?
    Because they forgot to get some nuts....plus been forced to go 'cold turkey' for 36hrs! :o
  • Options
    InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,792
    Forum Member
    i've never understood the panic buying mentality at Christmas, our nearest supermarket shut at 7pm today and reopens at 10am on Boxing Day, that's a grand total of 39 hours.
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bit of panic for me today as I managed to break my glasses this afternoon and had to rush out before the local Robert Dyas shut to get some glue........:o

While I was out I nipped into Tesco to get some Heinz Tomato Ketchup to have on my egg and chips for Christmas dinner.......
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wouldn't be surprised. Because they forgot to get some nuts....plus been forced to go 'cold turkey' for 36hrs! :o
    that isn't an answer as to why the shops being open on Boxing day means that those shopping on Christmas Eve will also be out on Boxing Day. I have no intention of shopping until Monday.
  • Options
    teresagreenteresagreen Posts: 16,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why do people panic buy at supermarkets before Christmas day? the shop is only closed for one day yet people are buying loads of stuff like the world is about to end why do they do this?

Because they are stupid and greedy.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member

And as Mary Whitehouse'd put it, think about the profits!:cry::cry::cry::o:o:o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Then there're the time wasters who can see perfectly well the opening hours asking you if you'll be open Boxing day and what time you're closing. It was because of the saddoes who decided to do their shopping today and turn up near closing time 'just for a few small items' that made me want to stab to stab the guy behind the counter in the takeaway on the way home to death with a plastic fork.:o:o:o>:(>:(>:(
    If I could get out of retail the first I got , believe me, I would
    Now where's that work and winning the lottery thread?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Christmas and bank holidays, when you can't go into a shop for a pint of milk without being described as a panic buyer :D
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Christmas and bank holidays, when you can't go into a shop for a pint of milk without being described as a panic buyer :D

No buying a pint of milk does not classify as panic buying, people with one or two trolleys grabbing at everything ( including items they will never use half the time such as a bottle of Advocaat and some crystalised ginger in case Auntie Dot who has not drunk since VE day likes them) ) as though we are about to be rationed instead of the shop closed for a day , now they are panic buyers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Are the Red Cross allowed to hand out ration packs to the saddoes who queue up outside NEXT at three o'clock in the morning?

If I was a branch manager for NEXT I'd be disiciplined and sacked for having the saddoes who queue up at three in the morning being told to come back at a saner hour and moved on by shop security and the police.
    Sod the floor staff, it's ALL about company profits
  • Options
    gothergother Posts: 14,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did all of mine online with Tesco arrived on Monday, was nice and stress free.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dave3622 wrote: »
    How do you know they are panic buying? Many people have large families round for Christmas and therefore will need to buy a lot more than they usually would.
    Lovely couple in front of me with two loads apologised, they had his and hers family over for the whole of the holiday.
    People need to shop to sort their own holiday, it's not our business is it.
    So it's not panic buying, good post.