The Ratings Thread (Part 62)

Comments

• Options
    ronantronant Posts: 4,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sw2963 wrote: »
    I'm enjoying Michael Mcintyre's show

Loved it. Great way to end Christmas night. Loads of fun, Noel's House Party esque. They really need to do more of this sort of thing, rather than his chat show.
  • Options
    grazemytvaddictgrazemytvaddict Posts: 4,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sw2963 wrote: »
    I'm enjoying Michael Mcintyre's show

Parts of it are quite funny because of the guests. Better than most of the things I've seen tonight.

Overall boring night tonight.
    CS extremely boring
    EE very underwhelming
    Doctor who not great

I'm expecting EE to do better than Corrie in the overnights and overall. But it will be quite close.

EE 7.8m
    CS 7.7m
    DW 6m
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    I think there is something with him that could be good on a live entertainment show but getting it right thats the thing.

That's the thing, McIntyre can do family friendly stand-up but there is the potential for much more. Like you say its making the right choices.
  • Options
    ScoreScore Posts: 17,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ronant wrote: »
    Loved it. Great way to end Christmas night. Loads of fun, Noel's House Party esque. They really need to do more of this sort of thing, rather than his chat show.

Is the chat show actually continuing? I remember them recommissioning it but I'm pretty sure it was meant to be back in the Autumn, but it never materialised. Might not be back until the New Year of course but I wonder if it's been quietly dropped (or if he decided that actually he didn't want to do any more).
  • Options
    ReadingfanReadingfan Posts: 10,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    McIntyre's show was probably my favourite thing of the night. Goodness knows why ITV didn't do similar with Ant and Dec. Miranda wasn't as funny as before but probably as expected to set it up for next week.
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ronant wrote: »

I think there is real potential with this Michael McIntyre show. Iron out the kinks and it could work on Saturday nights.
  • Options
    sheepiefarmsheepiefarm Posts: 27,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I'm more excited about the ratings coming out tomorrow than about anything I've actually watched tonight :blush::D
  • Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    If some people didnt like Miranda or MBB imagine the stick they are going to give SOAH tommorrow. :D
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    If some people didnt like Miranda or MBB imagine the stick they are going to give SOAH tommorrow. :D

I know; the trailer makes it look like a laugh-free zone.
  • Options
    JokanovicJokanovic Posts: 12,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iaindb wrote: »
    Can I just point out that people don't know whether a particular episode of a TV series is good or bad until after they've watched it. So the quality, good or bad, of an episode is not going to have an effect on the overnight ratings.

True. No idea why people post those comments. No logic to them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 181
    Forum Member
    Tomorrow is going to be an exciting time! I hope there are a few surprises! :D
  • Options
    stv viewerstv viewer Posts: 17,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What shows do you think will come out on top when the overnight ratings are realeased tomorrow.. No need for figures just the order of the top 10 shows from Christmas Day 2014.
    my prediction

1. Mrs Browns Boys
    2. Eastenders
    3. Doctor Who
    4. Coronation Street
    5. Miranda
    6. Strictly Come Dancing
    7. Downton Abbey
    8. Call The Midwife
    9. The Queen
    10. Michael McIntyre's Very Christmassy Christmas Show
  • Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Score wrote: »
    Liam Hamilton tweeted that ITV2's repeat of last year's Chrismas special of Catchphrase at 6.10pm was yesterday's most watched digital show with over 900k. That's pretty impressive.

Missed this earlier. That is fantastic. The Christmas specials of Catchphrase are good, the perhaps should be on Xmas Day as well.

I personally think ITV should bring back Family Fortunes/Catchphrase on Xmas Day and swap POG dogs for Xmas Eve.

I remember one year Family Fortunes got 6.4m. Even now it would be capable of 4m+
  • Options
    dillandillan Posts: 2,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought EE was pretty good..
  • Options
    EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jonwo wrote: »
    I think Mrs Brown's Boys will be big, it was a very strong episode. I do wonder whether Brendan O'Carroll would consider doing maybe 45 minute to 60 minute specials or given they are likely to make another Mrs Brown movie, I wonder if they'll keep the specials at 30 minutes.
    ftv wrote: »
    I believe he has only committed himself to two specials next Christmas, they are usually recorded in June.

MBB was 35 minutes in fact tonight.

The two Christmas specials were recorded very late this year....towards the end of October I think.
  • Options
    RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Disappointing BBC1 night I thought.

Miranda - forced and unfunny, with the "to be continued" ending sucking out the joy of Christmas Night comedy. Worst episode of the entire series by some distance!

EE - just seemed turgid and never ending

MBB - not the best, some good laughs but feels it has run its course

Macintyre - did a brilliant Christmas Comedy Roadshow 2/3 years ago, which got acclaim and high ratings. Why not have him do another of the thing he's actually good at and which people pay to see instead of trotting out more of his failed chat show, padded out with cooking (prime time BBC1 Christmas Night cooking tips!) and House Party style japes? God it went on....

I think the ratings in 7 hours time are going to look a bit anaemic. BBC1 is having a nightmare Christmas and there is more bad news to come!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We also watched Branestawm tonight.

What a complete copper-bottomed disaster. Had this been a Boxing Day teatme offering then they might have got away with it - not everyone's cup of tea, but a likeable cast performing a slightly hammy Blandings-style adptation of some old children's books which few people have heard of.

To put it out at 8.30pm straddling the watershed was plain crazy. It's clear why - it was a "BBC Comedy Production" on the credits, so presumably they had this down as a potential new comedy hit and wanted itin prime not wasted on a teatime, but it was always going to sink wtihin minutes.

I think Charlie Higson has to take some of the blame too. It was not an adaptation aimed for the masses, more for a BBC2 audience.
  • Options
    CUP OF TEAAA!CUP OF TEAAA! Posts: 4,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When are we getting the ratings?! I hope Miranda and EE do well! Loved Miranda, thought it was hilarious, the ending was a bit depressing but I can overlook that; don't want it to end :(
    EE was ok, tonight's episode should be more entertaining! I think Miranda's early timeslot will hinder it greatly tbh, it will defo bounce back on NYD.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eurostar wrote: »
    MBB was 35 minutes in fact tonight.

The two Christmas specials were recorded very late this year....towards the end of October I think.

They were due to have been recorded in June but maybe they changed it.
  • Options
    MarkynottsMarkynotts Posts: 5,255
    Forum Member
    They were due to have been recorded in June but maybe they changed it.

Perhaps they should have been filmed a little closer to Christmas to allow more work on the script. I don't know if it was just me, but the show felt flat last night. There seemed to be something missing
  • Options
    iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Miranda's early timeslot will hinder it greatly tbh, it will defo bounce back on NYD.

I don't get why so many people on this thread think that 7.15 on Christmas Night is such an awful slot:confused:

Anyway, nearly there, folks. Helmets on. Let's be careful out there.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Markynotts wrote: »
    Perhaps they should have been filmed a little closer to Christmas to allow more work on the script. I don't know if it was just me, but the show felt flat last night. There seemed to be something missing

Just checked - they were recorded at Pacific Quay on October 16 and 23.Rory Cowan (Rory Brown) said recently in an interview Brendan was already working on a series for 2015 but that hasn't been confirmed any where.
  • Options
    MarkynottsMarkynotts Posts: 5,255
    Forum Member
    Just checked - they were recorded at Pacific Quay on October 16 and 23.Rory Cowan (Rory Brown) said recently in an interview Brendan was already working on a series for 2015 but that hasn't been confirmed any where.

I read on here that they were producing a full series in 2015, but then another article in the Radio Times (I think) said that there wasn't time for a full series so it would be another couple of specials
  • Options
    A.D.PA.D.P Posts: 10,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think we have found a new Saturday night LE series now, having watched Michael McIntyre's Very Christmassy Christmas Show, I think they could use it as a pilot for a new show, Michael McIntyre's Very Own house party Show. As well as fridge cam they could put covert cameras in people's homes, and cut to them, guests ringing on the door bell, it would make great Saturday night viewing.

I do not think anyone has done it before. ( and if it has no one would copy the format :D)

EE DW MBB were all great last night, Miranda started well fell off near the end it needed one of her songs to end off with and say a guest star, like Barlow.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I'm up, primed and ready for the dullest Christmas Night ratings in years. ;-)

The Miranda special was clearly not intended for Christmas Night with its miserable ending. No wonder the star herself looked shocked when someone told her ep1 aired on Christmas day!
This discussion has been closed.