Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 62)

Comments

• Options
    iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ftv wrote: »

Charlotte Moore, Controller, BBC One says : “It’s fantastic to see millions of viewers choosing BBC One with the top five most popular shows on Christmas Day. Audiences tuned in for an incredible range of quality programmes from drama, comedy and entertainment; with Mrs Brown’s Boys taking the top spot for a second year running.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rg-jtYXvI7M

edit: I should put that clip on my "favourites". It could be very handy on a whole load of occasions.
  • Options
    ScoreScore Posts: 17,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    centauri72 wrote: »
    That's a bit unfair to DW.

It was the only thing yesterday to get 50 pc more on Christmas day overnights than on its regular 2014 overnights. It clearly finds new audiences on Christmas Day. Very little else does.

Of course it was down on 2013 when it was a regeneration and off the back of the 50th anniversary. No surprise.

it will time shift to close to 9m and third on the night. Relatively that is where it has been since 2005.

Why move it?

So what if it got 50% more than its regular overnights? That just says more about its regular overnights compared with the rest of last night's shows than anything else. It still let the side down and sucked the momentum away.

You say no surprise it was down on last year, but last year it faced Corrie and this year it faced Paul O'Grady.

Here are Doctor Who's Christmas ratings from the past:

2014: 6.3m (official: ?.?m) - 18:15
    2013: 8.3m (official: 11.1m) - 19:30
    2012: 7.6m (official: 9.9m) - 17:15
    2011: 8.9m (official: 10.8m) - 19:00
    2010: 10.3m (official: 12.1m) - 18:00
    2009: 10.3m (official: 12.0m) - 18:00
    2008: 11.7m (official: 13.1m) - 18:00
    2007: 12.2m (official: 13.3m) - 18:50
    2006: 8.7m (official: 9.4m) - 19:00
    2005: 9.4m (official: 9.8m) - 19:00

Doesn't look like a good trend to me. It will probably timeshift to 8.5-9m but even then that's way off previous results, even though it has faced tougher competition in the past and it had a solid lead-in.
  • Options
    Tindie_BaisTindie_Bais Posts: 2,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With it snowing in someplaces this evening
    (Most of my family just got and had breakfast lol)

I wonder if we getting slightly better ratting in boxing day

I
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    Note for schedulers: The classic 1946 James Stewart film It's a Wonderful Life on NBC topped the US ratings on Christmas Eve.

It wouldn't be the most watched in this country. The US are more saccharine tan we are and the film you describe is far more depressing than EastEnders or Call the Midwife.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 218
    Forum Member
    big dan wrote: »
    Completely agree re EE. Such a ridiculous choice for the big Christmas storyline. A rape 'reveal' just shouldn't be a thing in that sense. I can only speak for myself but although I quite like the Carters I've not found myself very invested in their big stories (I might have been in the rape if it had been portrayed sensitively rather than as a 'ticking time bomb'). And Shirley being Mick's mum just reeks of fanfiction. I do wonder if the focus had been on the Cottons, Mitchells and/or Beales, would it have fared better? I for one would have been more interested.

I would've been too. I was much more interested last night in those very brief scenes we got with the Cottons, Brannings/Beales. They're the bread and butter of the show and the recognisable characters. As well as the Carters have done down, they're only a year old and it was a lot of place on the shoulders of characters who have only been there a year and not a particularly high rated year at that. You need the likes of Ian, Phil, Ronnie, Kat, Dot, Stacey etc. pottering about for familiarity.

And like you've said, people will say "I must watch EE! Tanya finds out about Max and Stacey!" No one's going to say "Linda tells Mick she's been raped! Get the Pringles in!"
  • Options
    Roscoe BarnesRoscoe Barnes Posts: 6,360
    Forum Member
    What a dreadful set of numbers.

This is why I don't understand why everyone has been getting excited for weeks about the schedules - especially when this is what it produces.

No doubt it'll be pretty much the same next year. Let's hope we see some record breaking time shifting this year.
  • Options
    big danbig dan Posts: 7,878
    Forum Member
    I would've been too. I was much more interested last night in those very brief scenes we got with the Cottons, Brannings/Beales. They're the bread and butter of the show and the recognisable characters. As well as the Carters have done down, they're only a year old and it was a lot of place on the shoulders of characters who have only been there a year and not a particularly high rated year at that. You need the likes of Ian, Phil, Ronnie, Kat, Dot, Stacey etc. pottering about for familiarity.

And like you've said, people will say "I must watch EE! Tanya finds out about Max and Stacey!" No one's going to say "Linda tells Mick she's been raped! Get the Pringles in!"

Exactly. I did wonder/worry if all the hype would work and it would pull in big numbers. In all honesty now I feel vindicated in my opinion. I'm glad it didn't do well as it was the wrong move for the episode. Thing is, this year NEEDED a Max/Stacey moment. But just not based around a bloody rape. Indeed I was more interested in Jane letting slip that she seen Lauren on Good Friday than anything happening at the Vic.

They should have had a Cotton implosion interconnecting with the Beales and Mitchells imo.
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    [highlight]New Year week promises to bring a lot of surprises so why not dip your toe back into the water with the first week of Season 29 in the DS Ratings Prediction Game?

Will the Fireworks be number one show of the year? Will Queen beat Barlow? How will stripped drama Mapp & Lucia fair? Will Miranda go out of a high? Is Esio Trot how viewers would like to see in the new year?

All you have to do to take part is click[/highlight] HERE[highlight], hit reply, delete the quote marks and get predicting!

Thank you to everyone who takes part in advance!

:)
    [/highlight]
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aurora13 wrote: »
    My christmas day viewing Queens speech on sky everything else on record for later time. Who needs to sit watching tv on christmas day?

Well multi-millions of people have done it for decades, and did so again last night,
  • Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    So last year we had in the officials 2 shows over 11m (MBB/DW) and 4 others over 9m (CS/EE/DA/CTM).

This year MBB could top 10m and maybe EE/CTM could get into the 9m range and maybe DW/DA on previous timeshifts could be close.
  • Options
    dulliredullire Posts: 20,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A.D.P wrote: »
    So a varied schedule on BBC1 is considered not a good thing, DW " jammed in " kept all bar 500k of SCD viewers and was over double ITV. There was a variety of shows that kept BBC1 stable all evening.

DW never let any evening down its a popular show with loyal viewers, the back is keeping hold of viewers all day from TOTP through the queen and film to evening.

I think McIntire would work say 8.pm Christmas Eve with his house party show. Yes he got 4 million but at 10.40 to 11.40 that's very good.

It dropped 700k probably more as I assume SCD rose across its slot. 7th on the big day is very poor for Doctor Who. Miranda had an uphill battle as no doubt the actual live figure was very low. DW was also down 2m yoy.

I thought the Mc Intyre show was very dull. He is a poor Norton, didn't raise many laughs. I don't think it would do any better in primetime.

MBB must have suffered from repeat overload. It has done the business over the past few years.

Emmerdale beat Downton exc.+1. When will ITV get the message?

Shrek did very well on BBC3 @ 9. That film only got 4.9m when it premiered in 2012.

A snow boost is needed. :D
  • Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    iaindb wrote: »
    Charlotte Moore, Controller, BBC One says : “It’s fantastic to see millions of viewers choosing BBC One with the top five most popular shows on Christmas Day. Audiences tuned in for an incredible range of quality programmes from drama, comedy and entertainment; with Mrs Brown’s Boys taking the top spot for a second year running.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rg-jtYXvI7M

edit: I should put that clip on my "favourites". It could be very handy on a whole load of occasions.

Well what else would she say.
    Although I am reminded that when XF ratings have been criticised we were told that they are still better than most things so are ok taking into account most things being down this year. May I suggest the same applies to yesterday on both main channels.;-)
  • Options
    RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    So last year we had in the officials 2 shows over 11m (MBB/DW) and 4 others over 9m (CS/EE/DA/CTM).

This year MBB could top 10m and maybe EE/CTM could get into the 9m range and maybe DW/DA on previous timeshifts could be close.

MBB cannot top 10m because anyone watching from 10.10pm tomorrow will be added to the Saturday repeat officials. It will not make up 2.4m in 40 hours.

It's a disgrace by BARB and has completely ruined the Christmas ratings experience.
  • Options
    jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aurora13 wrote: »
    My christmas day viewing Queens speech on sky everything else on record for later time. Who needs to sit watching tv on christmas day?

What else are you going to do. Actually talk to your family? :eek::D.
  • Options
    LHolmesLHolmes Posts: 13,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    big dan wrote: »
    Exactly. I did wonder/worry if all the hype would work and it would pull in big numbers. In all honesty now I feel vindicated in my opinion. I'm glad it didn't do well as it was the wrong move for the episode. Thing is, this year NEEDED a Max/Stacey moment. But just not based around a bloody rape. Indeed I was more interested in Jane letting slip that she seen Lauren on Good Friday than anything happening at the Vic.

They should have had a Cotton implosion interconnecting with the Beales and Mitchells imo.
    The viewing figures did go up though. 7.5m is about a million up on recent episodes and being the second most watched of the day is something of an achievement as it was fourth last year.
  • Options
    A.D.PA.D.P Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dullagj2 wrote: »
    It dropped 700k probably more as I assume SCD rose across its slot. 7th on the big day is very poor for Doctor Who. Miranda had an uphill battle as no doubt the actual live figure was very low. DW was also down 2m yoy.

DW did well, if as you say it dropped viewers it gained others, against " live" figures of the last series it did very well,I can't see how people could have expected more and a larger uplift. It will Timeshift well , Miranda didn't have an uphill battle in any way and Did ok for its slot against ED.
    I thought the Mc Intyre show was very dull. He is a poor Norton, didn't raise many laughs. I don't think it would do any better in primetime.
    . This so far is his best show, best vehicle for him, funny, warm, a good hose party, and correct for Christmas maybe on Christmas Eve next year and earlier.
    MBB must have suffered from repeat overload. It has done the business over the past few years.
    Possible, it has been repeated a lot.
    Emmerdale beat Downton exc.+1. When will ITV get the message?
    Never!
    Shrek did very well on BBC3 @ 9. That film only got 4.9m when it premiered in 2012.

A snow boost is needed. :D
  • Options
    stv viewerstv viewer Posts: 17,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With it snowing in someplaces this evening
    (Most of my family just got and had breakfast lol)

I wonder if we getting slightly better ratting in boxing day

I
    I think tonight

Still Open all hours and The Boy in the dress will do well.

Avengers Assemble might do OK but superhero aren't everyone's cup of tea.

ITV/STV/UTV have A christmas Cracker which seems to be a variety show which probably should have been on xmas day will probably hold its own but it is against Eastenders.

This is followed by Birds of a feather which I think will be popular
  • Options
    nick202nick202 Posts: 9,919
    Forum Member
    I personally think 2 hours for DA is excessive as a running time, with the show finishing at 11. By 10.30 most of us were flagging. It needed to be 90 mins.

I did enjoy Call the Midwife. Miranda was a disappointment - so maudlin and overwrought.

Re the overall decline in Christmas Day figures, I'm very much of the opinion that New Years Day is more the one to watch, as it's when you've got a captive hungover audience.
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a dreadful set of numbers.

This is why I don't understand why everyone has been getting excited for weeks about the schedules - especially when this is what it produces.

No doubt it'll be pretty much the same next year. Let's hope we see some record breaking time shifting this year.

We expected small dips not big drops. Did anybody here really expect Mrs Brown's Boys to be just over 7.5m or Downton under 6m? I don't think so.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    I think Birds of a Feather will be annihilated by Avengers tonight.

I still don't understand why people think following Strictly with DW was a bad idea. They were in that configuration for almost the whole of their runs this year.
  • Options
    sheepiefarmsheepiefarm Posts: 27,704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not seeing the appeal for the Avengers film tonight - incredibly niche for a general tv audience I'd have thought.
  • Options
    XIVXIV Posts: 21,604
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think The Avengers will do well tonight, it was one of the biggest films of 2012, it's not like it's something like a BBC Film which no one has seen.

I wonder what comedy specials could BBC One do, Mrs Brown's Boys will be back. The Vicar of Dibley might be tricky since Roger Lloyd Pack passed away plus the show did end well. If they can persuade Martin Clunes and Caroline Quentin, I think a one-off Men Behaving Badly would be good.
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not seeing the appeal for the Avengers film tonight - incredibly niche for a general tv audience I'd have thought.

Really? It's an action movie, lots of spectacle. Won't top Skyfall but should be able to do well.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 486
    Forum Member

You don't see the appeal of the third highest grossing film of all time?
  • Options
    JordyDJordyD Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JordyD wrote: »
    Did people on here watch BBC One last night because they wanted to, or just to help them with viewing figures? :D
    A.D.P wrote: »
    With respect.

Isn't that the silliest thing anyone has ever posted,

I am not on the BARB panel, few are, so why watch BBC1 to get viewing figures up rather than to watch entertaining shows?.

I don't know, you tell me.:D sorry you seem to be so offended by my post!

Saying that though, I wouldn't put it past some posters on here! ;-)
This discussion has been closed.