Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 62)

Comments

• Options
    A.D.PA.D.P Posts: 10,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have you seen both yet?

Bruce's show had a behind the scenes on Breakfast and also one on The One Show, I am basing my views on those reports and what I saw.

So

Live from the Apollo with the Muppets,

Or

Bruce and guests at the palladium.

To me there rather different.
  • Options
    AdsAds Posts: 37,135
    Forum Member
    I fully expect Top Gear to monster its feeble competition tonight. Would be surprised if it doesn't get at least 6 million. The second episode featuring the controversy will be one of the ratings of the year.
  • Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    Ads wrote: »
    I fully expect Top Gear to monster its feeble competition tonight. Would be surprised if it doesn't get at least 6 million. The second episode featuring the controversy will be one of the ratings of the year.

Top Gear tonight all the way for me. Is anyone ( and I mean anyone ) really going to watch Shane Ritchie doing another gameshow?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    Top Gear tonight all the way for me. Is anyone ( and I mean anyone ) really going to watch Shane Ritchie doing another gameshow?

Top Gear isn't against Shane Ritchie? :confused:

It's Bruce Vs Top Gear at 8.30.
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From Digital Spy:

Still Open All Hours, Avengers lead BBC One to Boxing Day ratings win

BBC One came out on top in the Boxing Day ratings thanks to Still Open All Hours and Marvel's Avengers Assemble.

The first in a new series of the updated Sir David Jason sitcom attracted 5.69m viewers (26.7%) from 6.30pm, while the comic book movie pulled in 5.28m (24.3%) at 8.30pm.

David Walliams's The Boy in the Dress was seen by 4.80m (21.3%) at 7pm, before EastEnders topped the night overall with 7.41m (33.3%).

A packed Match of the Day rounded off the night with 3.24m (29.7%).

Birds of a Feather's return grabbed 3.95m (17.6%) for ITV at 9pm, before which Bradley Walsh's Christmas Cracker show entertained 2.77m (12.6%).

A festive offering of Keith Lemon's Through the Keyhole tickled 2.74m (12.6%) at 9.30pm.

On Channel 4, the midseason finale of Agents of SHIELD thrilled 580k (2.6%), an encore showing of Bear's Wild Weekend with Ben Stiller took 870k (4.0%), and The Big Fat Quiz of the Year amused 2.11m (10.1%).

Victoria Wood's musical That Day We Sang got 1.99m (9.1%) at 9pm on BBC Two, while a repeat of the comic's Midlife Christmas brought in 2.38m (10.8%) an hour earlier.

The latest University Challenge Christmas special claimed 1.55m (7.0%) at 6.45pm.

Channel 5's lineup of festive comedy favourites saw a Rob Brydon live set appeal to 478k (2.1%), a Morecambe and Wise performance from 1973 bring in 803k (3.6%), and Tommy Cooper's Christmas Special interest 699k (3.2%).

Elsewhere, Sky1's murder mystery Agatha Raisin and the Quiche of Death intrigued 327k (1.5%) at 8.30pm, and BBC Four's UK TV debut of the original Swedish adaptation of Wallander - Faceless Killers got 390k (1.7%) and 376k (1.8%) at 9pm and 9.55pm respectively.
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A.D.P wrote: »

That Bruce special just doesn't appeal to me. Tonight is Top Gear in my home.
  • Options
    Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The big question tonight who will win the 8 pm slot.

BBC1 Bruce hall of fame.
    BBC2 Top Gear.

ITV looks like it will be in third place tonight. I do not need to refer to the TV guide it's another Harry Potter film for most of Primetime.

ITV needs to be in Third position to learn it isn't acceptable, just to be fair ITV makes an effort Sunday night.

I think Bruce will win and TG a close second, funny Jeremy Clarkson, has tweeted a couple of times to watch Bruce! He has IPlayer, but says the stoning is Sunday.

There isn't really that big a gap in quality tonight, the ratings will say otherwise of course.

Yes ITV have just put on two cheap entertainment shows and Harry Potter, but BBC1 have an entertainment show, repeats and then normal Saturday night fare, nothing festive about Pointless or Win your wish list at all.

Should ITV have started Stars in their Eyes and Take Me Out tonight, and would that have been met with approval?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    That Bruce special just doesn't appeal to me. Tonight is Top Gear in my home.
    Andy23 wrote: »
    There isn't really that big a gap in quality tonight, the ratings will say otherwise of course.

Yes ITV have just put on two cheap entertainment shows and Harry Potter, but BBC1 have an entertainment show, repeats and then normal Saturday night fare, nothing festive about Pointless or Win your wish list at all.

Should ITV have started Stars in their Eyes and Take Me Out tonight, and would that have been met with approval?

You say " repeats" on BBC1 implies plural I thought from 6 pm till 11.30 there is one repeat MBB? A bit like Turkey and today's shops post Christmas Day its less festive more holiday entertainment. Yes quite a lot of standard Saturday night stuff bar Bruce, that's a special. ,Yes ITV would come in for less critical comment, if they did Put out on Stars in their Eyes and Take Me Out tonight.

Drop tonight's repeat of Elf it didn't go well on CD, then start HP at 4.00, and then normal shows from 7 pm.
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,697
    Forum Member
    2014: Ratings Review
    The numbers that stood out one way or another, month by month, across the big five and select multichannel stations.
    An alternative to the usual end of year "awards."

The Good: Celebrity Big Brother (January), Benefits Street (February), Call the Midwife (March), Britain's Got Talent (April), Happy Valley (May), World Cup 2014 (June), World Cup 2014 (July), Great British Bake Off (August), Great British Bake Off (September), Great British Bake Off (October), Strictly Come Dancing (November), The Missing (December)

The Bad: Splash (January), Big Ballet (February), Ade at Sea (March), Party House (April), Wanted: A Family of My Own (May), Mary's Silver Service (June), The Mimic (July), Kids with Cameras (August), Glue (September), Scrotal Recall (October), Life Story (November), Britain's Bloodiest Dynasty (December).

The Ugly: Piers Morgan's Life Stories (January), The Taste (February), Our Gay Wedding: The Musical (March), New Worlds (April), Orphan Black (May), Stand By Your Man (June), Utopia (July), Tumble (August), Tumble (September), The Great Fire (October), Intruders (November), Babylon (December).

Channel Achievement: BBC Two
    No brainer. Best all rounder and has punched well above its weight in genres such as homegrown drama and comedy consistently throughout 2014, with very pleasing ratings returns. Responded well to the loss of Great British Bake Off, only slightly down in peak time and narrowly up on the all hours measure, with other hits were found in its absence. Other established brands have flourished, for example Masterchef: The Professionals was rebooted successfully. Also widened the gap over nearest rival Channel 4 and has commissioned a number of exciting shows to keep the progress going into 2015.
  • Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bruce's show had a behind the scenes on Breakfast and also one on The One Show, I am basing my views on those reports and what I saw.

So

Live from the Apollo with the Muppets,

Or

Bruce and guests at the palladium.

To me there rather different.

Hardly surprising that is it?

So if ITV had Sunday Night At The Palladium on tonight against Bruce's Hall Of Fame you would consider both equal? Me thinks your scraping the barrel a bit there.

Since your didn't watch A Christmas Cracker I don't believe you can make a fair judgment between both. Does it matter where its set, as long as its entertaining?
  • Options
    Zac QuinnZac Quinn Posts: 5,172
    Forum Member
    These categories are slightly different to the ones proposed because I wrote most of this yesterday, but here goes..

The No Place I’d Rather Be award for ‘hit of the year'
    The Great British Bake Off. Just no two ways about it.
    Honourable mentions: Sherlock, Cilla, Eurovision Song Contest

The rise-of-UKIP award for ’the less said about that the better'
    Tumble. Not entirely the show’s fault, because clearly they were relying on interest in gymnastics being given a boost post-Commonwealth Games which never came to pass when said tournament was less popular than expected, but it didn’t help itself in choice of presenter and doing 'a reverse-That Puppet Game Show’ (i.e. having a more impressive trailer than actual show).
    Honourable mentions: Elf: Buddy’s Musical Christmas, Glue, From Here To There, Life Story.

The AlexiR award for 'new kid on the block'
    Michael McIntyre’s Christmassey Christmas Show/House Party/Kitchen fun with a hat game at the end. Sorry to keep going on about it but there is such promise in this format.
    Honourable mentions: the BBC Music Awards and Virtually Famous are both promising future prospects even if they didn’t set the world alight this time around, The Musketeers got off to such a great start that there may be life in it yet, and - regardless of the morals of it - ratings-wise Benefits Street was a phenomenon.

The Johnnymc v Dancc award for ‘thank goodness that’s over’
    ITV’s year. Just a disaster from start to finish. Almost nothing new took off, another Breakfast revamp rated even worse than the version it replaced, ‘the return of the king and queen’ fizzled out into an X Factor series that didn’t even make the yearly top 10, even previously indestrcutable-looking I’m A Celeb and Britain’s Got Talent showed signs of weakening at last. Then, Skyfall apart, there was their Christmas week. They badly badly need Broadchurch to overcome the clash with the Liverpool FA Cup match a week on Monday and join Bake Off in the stratosphere of astonishing figures or ITV could by this time next year be looking over their shoulders at the likes of rapidly-improving Channel 5.
    Honourable mentions: Splash, the Dapper Laughs controversy, Glee (not finished quite yet but almost there), Gracepoint, ITV’s ratings for the Champions League group stages.

The Green Party award for 'frustrating underperformance'
    Commenwealth Games. Whilst not able to shake a feather at London 2012, a far more entertaining event than the ratings indicated, and has been unfairly over-blamed for the slump in Autumn/Winter figures despite the highest-rating non-sport show of 2014 coming after it..
    Honourable mentions: William Pooley’s Alternative Christmas Message, the Invictus Games, and Professor Branestawm.

The Ed Sheeran award for 'astonishing overperformance'
    England v Italy on the opening weekend of the World Cup. 14 and a half million viewers watching a match that finished at almost 1am, proving once again that sport gets Britain plonked in front of the telly like nothing else. On reflection, from a ratings-watching perspective, it’s disappointing that the match wasn’t left with its original kick-off time of 2am.
    Honourable mentions: the GBBO Final and Cilla, although neither of those over-performances were undeserved, and The Jump's, which was. Also Death in Paradise for going from strength-to-strength despite the departure of its leading man.

The The Apprentice: You're Hired award for 'puzzling mistreatment'
    Top of the Pops. The 50th anniversary of the first edition went totally ignored, but then TOTP2 and the Christmas/New Year specials continued apace. The BBC need to decide if they’re ashamed of it or not.
    Honourable mentions: Catherine Tate’s Nan, the all-star version of ‘God Only Knows’, and That Day We Sang.

The SamuelW award for ‘departed friend who’ll be sorely missed’

Dancing On Ice. A staple of the early-Spring schedule which you’d hardly hear a bad word said about until Call The Midwife came along. Easy to forget what a powerhouse it was until as recently as 2011.
    Honourable mentions: Alan Hansen on Match of the Day, Jeremy Paxman on Newsnight, and Nick Hewer on The Apprentice.

The Piers Morgan award for ‘should shuffle off peacefully into retirement before embarrassing itself any further’
    Shared between Still Open All Hours and Birds of a Feather. Ended 2013 and began 2014, respectively, with both very promising overnights and then impressive timeshifts, but have collapsed thereafter and (in the case of BOAF) shown no signs of picking up again.
    Honourable mentions: Coronation Street and Jeremy Clarkson
  • Options
    RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I see the concluding TG tomorrow now runs to 65 mins and will overrun the start of Last Tango. One would expect the much hyped denouement of the Argentina trip to be potentially one of the biggest peaks of Christmas so that is not the best start for LTIH. I was going to watch one after the other.

Stupid BBC. The Christmas of cock ups continues...
  • Options
    Forum Member

I never said it was - just commenting on the awfulness that The Ritchie thing its likely to be.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    2014: Ratings Review
    The numbers that stood out one way or another, month by month, across the big five and select multichannel stations.
    An alternative to the usual end of year "awards."

The Good: Celebrity Big Brother (January), Benefits Street (February), Call the Midwife (March), Britain's Got Talent (April), Happy Valley (May), World Cup 2014 (June), World Cup 2014 (July), Great British Bake Off (August), Great British Bake Off (September), Great British Bake Off (October), Strictly Come Dancing (November), The Missing (December)

The Bad: Splash (January), Big Ballet (February), Ade at Sea (March), Party House (April), Wanted: A Family of My Own (May), Mary's Silver Service (June), The Mimic (July), Kids with Cameras (August), Glue (September), Scrotal Recall (October), Life Story (November), Britain's Bloodiest Dynasty (December).

The Ugly: Piers Morgan's Life Stories (January), The Taste (February), Our Gay Wedding: The Musical (March), New Worlds (April), Orphan Black (May), Stand By Your Man (June), Utopia (July), Tumble (August), Tumble (September), The Great Fire (October), Intruders (November), Babylon (December).

Channel Achievement: BBC Two

An excellent summary.

A few stinkers in there that I'd forgotten about, or had passed me by. E4's Party House rating was horrific. Same with ITV2's Office Xmas Parties, which lost 3/4 of its audience across its short run.

Clearly people don't like having to watch parties they're not invited to, and have no connection with.

So many flops this year. An annus horribilus for so many channels, but yes, ITV has had the worst year ever, surely?

Who can forget Hot Tub Britain and Gems TV? Or Celebrity Squares, Let Me Entertain You or The Great Fire?!

And no, I'm not anti-ITV. I want it to do well, but its programming is often so dreary, sometimes it really only has itself to blame.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I see the concluding TG tomorrow now runs to 65 mins and will overrun the start of Last Tango. One would expect the much hyped denouement of the Argentina trip to be potentially one of the biggest peaks of Christmas so that is not the best start for LTIH. I was going to watch one after the other.

Stupid BBC. The Christmas of cock ups continues...

Its a good job your a BBC supporter Robbie!!! ;-)
  • Options
    davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC Two has to be my channel of the year - Peaky Blinders, Line of Duty and The Fall have been the best British dramas I've seen this year. I've also really got into Masterchef the Professionals this year, and I've enjoyed both W1A and Russell Howard's Good News.

They are the only channel that has managed to keep me hooked to their whole evening schedule.
  • Options
    Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This Brucie show is presumably a pilot for a semi regular series. It feels that way.

It is less like the Bradley Walsh straight variety show the other night and more a cross between Stars in their Eyes and Get Your Act Together before either of these have chance to start on the other side!

A bit too long, but with the right guests and in this format it could make regular one off appearances in future.
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Deleted
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This Brucie show is presumably a pilot for a semi regular series. It feels that way.

It is less like the Bradley Walsh straight variety show the other night and more a cross between Stars in their Eyes and Get Your Act Together before either of these have chance to start on the other side!

A bit too long, but with the right guests and in this format it could make regular one off appearances in future.

I was just about to say the same. This should be an occasional one-off show. Its classy and has a lot of ingredients making it watchable. A tour de force from Culshaw mixing Yarwood with then and now.
    And Bruce is in his element.
    Far better than many would have thought imo.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hardly surprising that is it?

So if ITV had Sunday Night At The Palladium on tonight against Bruce's Hall Of Fame you would consider both equal? Me thinks your scraping the barrel a bit there.

Since your didn't watch A Christmas Cracker I don't believe you can make a fair judgment between both. Does it matter where its set, as long as its entertaining?

Just been watching Bruice 100% so not posting,

Can you point me to the post where it was said I didn't watch Bradley? ITV player and afternoons off are wonderful things. Not sure if you have been in my home, or monitoring what we are watching, but please do not post " as fact" what I have/ haven't watched, anyway BCC had more Turkey than M&S.

Bruce and his hall of fame was completely different shows, classy, funny great mix, the Palladium gave it stature, Bruce gave it class. Running around threads posting comments about me, then going again, is a bit demeaning feels like I have a stalker. :confused:
    Chris1964 wrote: »
    I was just about to say the same. This should be an occasional one-off show. Its classy and has a lot of ingredients making it watchable. A tour de force from Culshaw mixing Yarwood with then and now.

Yes fully agree, why can Culshaw have his own show back?
  • Options
    F1KenF1Ken Posts: 4,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chris1964 wrote: »

Just started watching it on delay after Top Gear, I agree this could be a semi occasional thing. I'm enjoying it so far.
  • Options
    Zac QuinnZac Quinn Posts: 5,172
    Forum Member

The Impressions Show, which he used to do with Debra Stephenson, was fantastic IMO, but the ratings disagreed.
  • Options
    Cestrian18Cestrian18 Posts: 6,910
    Forum Member
    Watching the Darcy Oake show on ITV and he has a lot of potential to build a series out of this- Maybe not in this format, but he's charismatic and a very accomplished magician so it would be a shame to waste him (Now watch this tank like the other BGT specials)
  • Options
    xeoxeo Posts: 6,429
    Forum Member
    Zac Quinn wrote: »
    The SamuelW award for ‘departed friend who’ll be sorely missed’
    Dancing On Ice. A staple of the early-Spring schedule which you’d hardly hear a bad word said about until Call The Midwife came along. Easy to forget what a powerhouse it was until as recently as 2011.
    Honourable mentions: Alan Hansen on Match of the Day, Jeremy Paxman on Newsnight, and Nick Hewer on The Apprentice.

Nice choices. I agree with most of them, especially the one quoted. I think ITV will struggle without Dancing on Ice in Q1. They had no choice but to axe it, but as low-rating as it was in its last years there's little I believe will do better for them next year, apart from maybe Stars in Their Eyes which is more of a replacement for Splash anyway.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Culshaw is very good with his impression but the problem was they were always tring to make him up to look like the celebs and it never worked. Doing a straight piece to camera like Yarwood did would be fine but could you get a show out of that?
This discussion has been closed.