Options

Would you stop watching if the Doctor became female?

13»

Comments

• Options
    PabloJPabloJ Posts: 261
    Forum Member
    THIS POLL IS REDUNDANT!
    The OP messed up when it was originally posted.
    Too late to salvage; the mods should delete it.
  • Options
    Crocodile TearsCrocodile Tears Posts: 245
    Forum Member
    PabloJ wrote: »
    Too late to salvage; the mods should delete it.

^Agree!
    This thread is a PATHETIC MESS and should just be DELETED!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 217
    Forum Member
    I think I would stop watching.
  • Options
    steve2013steve2013 Posts: 2,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would all depend on the actress playing the doctor. I'd give it 3/4 episodes to see how said actress was doing then decide if felt was doing a good enough job as the doctor
  • Options
    GDKGDK Posts: 9,478
    Forum Member
    I've just asked the mods for another poll to be set up. This one doesn't have such a leading question and will offer 3 choices.
  • Options
    dave_windowsdave_windows Posts: 5,937
    Forum Member
    The Masters one was acceptable because it wasent a regeneration he just stole a body.
  • Options
    lordo350lordo350 Posts: 3,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think people (Steven Moffat included) need to realize that when people say they don't want a female doctor, it's not because they hate women, or think female actors in any way inferior to males. Doctor who has, in it's time, had some superb female actors, such as Catherine Tate, the amazing Liz Sladen... and I love them as much as any actor who played the Doctor.

The fact is, The Doctor is a male character. He's always been a male. Young, old, fat, thin... But always male. You start changing genders, you change the fundamental aspect of the character. They just about managed it with the Master, as he's a supporting character at best. The Doctor is the central figure. It's too much of a stretch. It wouldn't be done to take the character on a new journey. It would be done so the BBC could market the show to high heaven. For all the wrong reasons.

Why are people so desperate for this to happen? Are they eager to see Romana return as a man? Susan coming back as the Doctors grandson Simon? No, they are not. Why can we not have a male hero, the finest of them all, and people just be satisfied with that? The whole thing is just silly!

Give us strong male and female companions. Give us as many female characters as you like. But the whole point of regeneration is the Doctor remains the same man. Different in many ways, but fundamentally the same character. To change his gender when its never happened before, it's just too far.

So in answer; I hope it never happens. If it did... I honestly don't know.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well no. I don't watch in hopes that Capaldi will whip his penis out. The Doctor doesn't operate the Tardis with his penis. Being male is not essential to the role. I think people really make too much of the male/female thing. There are plenty of female actors who could play the role well. If someone only watches because the person playing the Doctor has a set of testicles, I'd argue that they are not really all that invested in the show.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lordo350 wrote: »
    I think people (Steven Moffat included) need to realize that when people say they don't want a female doctor, it's not because they hate women, or think female actors in any way inferior to males. Doctor who has, in it's time, had some superb female actors, such as Catherine Tate, the amazing Liz Sladen... and I love them as much as any actor who played the Doctor.

The fact is, The Doctor is a male character. He's always been a male. Young, old, fat, thin... But always male. You start changing genders, you change the fundamental aspect of the character. They just about managed it with the Master, as he's a supporting character at best. The Doctor is the central figure. It's too much of a stretch. It wouldn't be done to take the character on a new journey. It would be done so the BBC could market the show to high heaven. For all the wrong reasons.

Why are people so desperate for this to happen? Are they eager to see Romana return as a man? Susan coming back as the Doctors grandson Simon? No, they are not. Why can we not have a male hero, the finest of them all, and people just be satisfied with that? The whole thing is just silly!

Give us strong male and female companions. Give us as many female characters as you like. But the whole point of regeneration is the Doctor remains the same man. Different in many ways, but fundamentally the same character. To change his gender when its never happened before, it's just too far.

So in answer; I hope it never happens. If it did... I honestly don't know.

But why is maleness the most fundamental thing about the Doctor?
  • Options
    FiregazerFiregazer Posts: 5,888
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't. Not because I'm sexist, I just think it's a tradition.

It's like the government coming along and saying, "no Turkey at Christmas Dinner now. We're eating Duck."
  • Options
    trollfacetrollface Posts: 13,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I will stop watching the programme when I die, not before.

I don't care what gender or race the Doctor is. I'm genuinely surprised that so many people can be fans of a programme like this and yet remain so narrow-minded.
  • Options
    CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    trollface wrote: »
    I will stop watching the programme when I die, not before.

I don't care what gender or race the Doctor is. I'm genuinely surprised that so many people can be fans of a programme like this and yet remain so narrow-minded.
    Theres nothing wrong with people not wanting a female Doctor. It doesn't make them narrow minded.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lordo350 wrote: »
    The fact is, The Doctor is a male character. He's always been a male. Young, old, fat, thin... But always male. You start changing genders, you change the fundamental aspect of the character.

Why is the Doctor's penis so important to you?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CELT1987 wrote: »
    Theres nothing wrong with people not wanting a female Doctor. It doesn't make them narrow minded.

It doesn't make them narrow-minded, it's an indicator that they are narrow minded. It's not a causal factor.
  • Options
    Free RadicalFree Radical Posts: 374
    Forum Member
    Jerrica09 wrote: »
    Well no. I don't watch in hopes that Capaldi will whip his penis out. The Doctor doesn't operate the Tardis with his penis. Being male is not essential to the role. I think people really make too much of the male/female thing. There are plenty of female actors who could play the role well. If someone only watches because the person playing the Doctor has a set of testicles, I'd argue that they are not really all that invested in the show.

Why do you reduce the male/female distinction to biology? It's also about psychology. It has been scientifically proven that males and females of any species think and act differently.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why do you reduce the male/female distinction to biology? It's also about psychology. It has been scientifically proven that males and females of any species think and act differently.

Can you link to any of this scientific research?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It doesn't make them narrow-minded, it's an indicator that they are narrow minded. It's not a causal factor.
    People are entitled to not want a female Doctor. Lots of women don't want one either. We get it, you want a female Doctor. Others don't. Accept people have a different opinion. Doesn't make them sexist or narrow minded.
  • Options
    StockingfillerStockingfiller Posts: 3,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes ! Why isn't the Doctor being played by say..an American, teenaged actress ? American fans might love, that. The Master, could be played by a woman too. They'd battle female aliens. All the Daleks, should be female. The writers, should be female.

Why not change the title ? ' Women in space and time 'might be good. Or maybe, ' Now's the time to boot your tv right out of the window'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People are entitled to not want a female Doctor.

Yes they are. Pointing out that their opinion makes them narrow minded does not mean that they are not entitled to hold that opinion.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Master, could be played by a woman too.

The Master is being played by a woman. The universe appears not to have imploded yet, although I suppose there's still time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes they are. Pointing out that their opinion makes them narrow minded does not mean that they are not entitled to hold that opinion.
    You keep going on about narrow minded. Why do you want a female Doctor? Why change something that works? I repeat, not wanting a female Doctor doesn't mesn you are narrow minded. People have their own reasons for not wanting a female Doctor.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why do you want a female Doctor?

I didn't say I wanted a female Doctor, I said I didn't care about the gender of the Doctor.
    Why change something that works?

Well, initially, because William Hartnell became too ill to continue. Then Patrick Troughton didn't want to do more than 3 years. Then Jon Pertwee lost enthusiasm for the programme when all his friends left and Roger Delgado died. Then Tom Baker tried his annual power game of handing in his resignation and the production team unexpectedly accepted it as his ego had become too big. Then Peter Davison took Patrick Troughton's advice and only stayed 3 years. Then Colin Baker was fired. Then the show was cancelled. Then the pilot didn't take off. Then Eccleston didn't like the bullying atmosphere he witnessed on set. Then Tennant wanted to move on with his career. Then Matt Smith wanted to move to Hollywood and start a career in films.
    I repeat, not wanting a female Doctor doesn't mesn you are narrow minded.

You can repeat it as often as you want. That's not going to magically make it true.
  • Options
    StockingfillerStockingfiller Posts: 3,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did anyone watch ' Quantum Leap' ? Different process of course but the Doctor could regenerate in many, different forms including female, child, etc. Then Doctor Who could be called something else eg, ' The Leaping Doctor' and I could respond by booting my tv out of the window.
  • Options
    StevenRStevenR Posts: 135
    Forum Member
    I voted that I'd stop watching, not because the Doctor being female is necessarily a bad idea but because I fear that any such decision would be made to introduce a gimmick or for shock purposes rather than because it was decided that the best person for the role was female (so could be considered a potential "jump the shark" moment). Of course, I would be happy to be proven wrong.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    StevenR wrote: »
    I voted that I'd stop watching, not because the Doctor being female is necessarily a bad idea but because I fear that any such decision would be made to introduce a gimmick or for shock purposes rather than because it was decided that the best person for the role was female (so could be considered a potential "jump the shark" moment). Of course, I would be happy to be proven wrong.

How would you know you had been proven wrong if you stopped watching?