Options

The Boy in the Dress

Comments

• Options
    Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Funny a programme called The Girl Who Wore Men's Trousers wouldn't have such an impact.

Such are the contradictory clothing rules of our society. ;)
  • Options
    catinabasketcatinabasket Posts: 707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yvie123 wrote: »
    You're not alone - I really liked it too:)

So did I, thought it was very sound.
  • Options
    LittleGirlOf7LittleGirlOf7 Posts: 9,344
    Forum Member
    kaybee15 wrote: »
    If you could point out where anyone has said the child 'deserves' bullying that would be super. I for one am simply saying that with my personal memories of school, and what I've seen later through my family, I cannot conceive how a boy going to school and 'being' a princess is going to end in anything other than tears.

The assumption that a boy going to school in a dress will definitely lead to taunting and bullying means you believe that reaction is justified. The onus is being put on the boy, not those around him if they have that reaction. You're suggesting he didn't get the treatment he deserved because you cannot accept that on this occasion there was no negative response from anyone.

The day didn't end in tears.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Funny a programme called The Girl Who Wore Men's Trousers wouldn't have such an impact.

Indeed. Assigning gender to items of clothing is so outdated.

For about a year in the 90s I wore my dad's leather jacket from the 70s to school. Two of my male teachers noticed the jacket one afternoon and asked where it was from. I explained and they were mildly impressed. Didn't receive a single bit of negativity about it.
  • Options
    Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

For about a year in the 90s I wore my dad's leather jacket from the 70s to school. Two of my male teachers noticed the jacket one afternoon and asked where it was from. I explained and they were mildly impressed. Didn't receive a single bit of negativity about it.

Men's skirts. :D

http://www.hypebeast.com/image/2009/11/hm-2010-spring-collection-10.jpg
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member

Oh come off it. Yes, men did wear 'skirts' in the past but they haven't done in mainstream European fashion for over three centuries, let alone a dress.

Do you really want to see this walking down the High Street? No, and no-one else does either.

http://www.thesmartgirlsfashionguide.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/mens-dresses-JW-Anderson.jpg

I appreciate the fact that some men have a psychological compulsion and/or a sexual fetish for wearing women's clothes but that is entirely unrelated to 'outdated' assigning of clothes according to gender.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Ridiculous. Most men like looking and dressing like men, not like women.
  • Options
    JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ridiculous. Most men like looking and dressing like men, not like women.

But who's to say what men should dress like? Pink used to be the colour for Baby Boys!
  • Options
    Sweaty Job RotSweaty Job Rot Posts: 2,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Why don't you chop my balls off and make me a mangina while you are at it, birds wear skirts and dresses end off.

If you are transgender then fine but frankly I don't see the point.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fatima502 wrote: »
    Quite right Randysback. From now on let's only have realistic stories on the telly at Christmas. I mean if a fat bearded man really came down our chimneys, he'd be arrested for trespass.

The fact that he has a glass of sherry and is looking for children it would be a toss up as to whether he was done for drink driving or arrested by Operation Yewtree
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The assumption that a boy going to school in a dress will definitely lead to taunting and bullying means you believe that reaction is justified. The onus is being put on the boy, not those around him if they have that reaction. You're suggesting he didn't get the treatment he deserved because you cannot accept that on this occasion there was no negative response from anyone.

The day didn't end in tears.

Dear me, you really are clutching at straws. I've explained my position several times now, it really isn't my fault if you lack the basic comprehension skills to understand.

I'm bored of this now.
  • Options
    BrooklynBoyBrooklynBoy Posts: 10,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lol wtf at this thread. Did the UK's tv's emit dangerously high levels of gay rays risking turning manly men into feminine girly guys or something? :D the outrage levels are peaking.
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if the boys classmates in this drama would have been so alright with his dress code if when changing for PE out of his skirt he revealed frilly knickers underneath too? :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Indeed.

What if the boy had a different preference, a "clothes optional" one. In other words he wanted the right to be able to go about either wearing or not wearing clothing, in his birthday suit instead? There are people like this, the most famous being Stephen Gough who keeps getting banged up every time he goes out without any clothing. Not accepted is he, even as an adult by other adults. I saw a Joan Bakewell interview once with another guy called Vincent Bethell as she interviewed him starkers going down a busy High Street. So I'm not meaning to sound trivial at all.

I've just seen your link to that guy in the grey blazer and grey skirt Gusto and it suddenly made me wonder about an important bodily issue that sets men aside from women....how do you stand at a urinal or over the toilet in that skirt exactly? Would mens skirts need to be manufactured with a fly to unzip? Maybe a man wearing a skirt would be compelled to sit down like the ladies even if he just wanted a quick leak. This debate is taking a whole new direction I did not foresee. :blush:

I just want to ask you LGof7 what your personal reaction would be if you had a 12 year old son who came to you at the beginning of the next school term and insisted he would like to go to school wearing a knee length skirt from now on? You have been defending the issue, but what if it became personal to your own son? Then what?
  • Options
    bbclassicsbbclassics Posts: 7,806
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed it, especially liked the shopkeeper as he made me laugh a fair bit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    kaybee15 wrote: »
    Dear me, you really are clutching at straws. I've explained my position several times now, it really isn't my fault if you lack the basic comprehension skills to understand.

I'm bored of this now.

You are the one refusing to understand. I have told you a boy went to school in a dress and there was no adverse reaction on that occasion. Why is that so hard for you accept?
    Rich Tea. wrote: »

I just want to ask you LGof7 what your personal reaction would be if you had a 12 year old son who came to you at the beginning of the next school term and insisted he would like to go to school wearing a knee length skirt from now on? You have been defending the issue, but what if it became personal to your own son? Then what?

I would ask him, "Would you like me to look for one with you or you happy to get it yourself? £15 or less, mind. I'm not made of money."
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would ask him, "Would you like me to look for one with you or you happy to get it yourself? £15 or less, mind. I'm not made of money."
    Mmmmm right, if you say so......I think I'm happier talking with you about music on BBC4. Didn't envisage trading posts about boys wearing skirts! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oh come off it. Yes, men did wear 'skirts' in the past but they haven't done in mainstream European fashion for over three centuries, let alone a dress.

Do you really want to see this walking down the High Street? No, and no-one else does either.

http://www.thesmartgirlsfashionguide.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/mens-dresses-JW-Anderson.jpg

I appreciate the fact that some men have a psychological compulsion and/or a sexual fetish for wearing women's clothes but that is entirely unrelated to 'outdated' assigning of clothes according to gender.

Fashion changes. But it not a matter of fashion. It's a matter of choice.

If a man wants to walk down a street in a skirt it would neither effect me psychologically or physically. Why should I care? If I wear a piece of clothing through my own free choice who is anyone to tell me I can't wear it without good reason? If I have that right, so does the next person.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    Mmmmm right, if you say so......I think I'm happier talking with you about music on BBC4. Didn't envisage trading posts about boys wearing skirts! :D

I do say so, because that's what would happen.

Well, I'll get back to you about boys wearing skirts when Spandau Ballet hit the stage of Top Of The Pops in the near future.

Ooh, Kappellmeister...the New Romantics of the early 80s. Men in skirts/dresses and wearing make-up. Discuss?
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,326
    Forum Member
    Moggio wrote: »
    Jesus, this thread shows there's still too many petty-minded, judgemental pricks in the world.

Oh yes. It's really bringing out the knuckle draggers.
  • Options
    roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are you James O'Brian, & what is a knuckle dragger.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The only problem I have with these types of shows is that the person who has the 'difference' always has to win something to be accepted.

What if he had missed the penalty, would everyone still have accepted his crossdressing?

I would have liked to have seen him go to school in a girls uniform at the end, to show not only that his dressing had been accepted, but also that he had accepted the school uniform rules.

Glee did a crossdressing school boy storyline very well, with Wade/ Unique.
  • Options
    Dave3622Dave3622 Posts: 1,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    roddydogs wrote: »
    Are you James O'Brian, & what is a knuckle dragger.

Without Googling it, I believe it refers to people who appear to have never evolved. Picture a gorilla walking along with it's long arms dragging on the floor.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ooh, Kappellmeister...the New Romantics of the early 80s. Men in skirts/dresses and wearing make-up. Discuss?

Hardly "mainstream fashion".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Fashion changes. But it not a matter of fashion. It's a matter of choice.

If a man wants to walk down a street in a skirt it would neither effect me psychologically or physically. Why should I care? If I wear a piece of clothing through my own free choice who is anyone to tell me I can't wear it without good reason? If I have that right, so does the next person.

Anyone can choose to wear anything they want. I've never said otherwise. Whether I think they look ridiculous or not is also entirely my choice.