Options

I think that Matt Smith added more to dr who.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 54
Forum Member
I grew up watching the old dr who episodes, born in 1969 watched from tom baker.
I was excited about the dr who re-whatever with christopher eccleston, and have enjoyed it ever since,
I do think that matt smith as the doctor added more to the show than any previous doctor because he was able to project emotion to a stupendous level, the moments when Matt Smith gave a speech were brilliant moments, check google, they really are emotional.
In short,
The only doctor that can make me cry when the writing is good is matt smith, so thats my opinion, what does everyone else think?

Comments

• Options
    HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Born in 1979, first Doc was Peter Davison, watched most of the prior Docs and every one since Peter. Matt is my personal favourite, too. Thought he was wonderful at capturing the Doctor's childlike wonder and his extreme age. He could switch from buffoonery to chilling anger in a second and make it believable. Considering he's the youngest actor to play the role, I think he is the one who has - so far - come across as the oldest. Not all the time, but when he wants to deliver that age, he did it in a way a man in his twenties shouldn't have been able to. But he did.

Just for the record, I love all the actors who've portrayed the Doctor. I think they've all done a great job of making the role their own, yet still keeping him the same man. Matt's just my personal favourite. But they're all great.
  • Options
    Ella71110Ella71110 Posts: 4,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Me too guys and I'm an old Whovian whose watched since Jon Pertwee -Matt was the only one too who could make me feel so many different emotions watching the show but I always have welcomed new Doctors as that's what the show is about but I've surprised myself with how I view Matt as my favourite Doctor!
  • Options
    Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, just like to echo the above really. Was also born in 1969 and grew up with the show, although only became a fan with Sir Peter Davison. (Well, you never know. There is now a precedent!) Delighted and rather surprised when Who returned after such a long time and have enjoyed all of the Doctors before and since, but there was something about Matt. As soon as he popped his head chad-like out of the TARDIS and asked for an apple, I thought, hello....think I'm going to like this. About two thirds of the way through Series 5 I was completely smitten with his portrayal and he is right up there for me...basically thought he was brilliant. And continued to be right up until the end, although would say his first series was his best.

Ranking varies over time for me, but if I had to pick a favourite....it's Matt. I know some think he became too clownish, fair enough, but agree with Helbore. Silly and childlike one instant, scarily quiet intensity the next. Youthful exuberance to ancient weariness just like that. He did it time and again with utter conviction.
  • Options
    AudioRebelAudioRebel Posts: 32,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ... as well as Matt being naked on a couple of occasions ('The Lodger' & 'Time Of The Doctor'), luckily none of the first seven doctors got down to their undercrackers.

Not a pretty sight William Hartnell parading around in his y-fronts & string vest waving his screwdriver about... :blush:
  • Options
    nattoyakinattoyaki Posts: 7,080
    Forum Member
    The definitive Doctor for me, despite poor series overall apart from 5.
  • Options
    DODS11DODS11 Posts: 2,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even if it was an episode I wasn't particularly keen on, Matt made it brilliant.

His enthusiasm, flamboyancy, comedy timing coupled with the fact that any minute he could switch into the cold, elderly wise Timelord made him joyful and intense viewing at the same time. Plus, you really got the impression he was absolutely loving every single second of it all and that goes for the comic-cons and the publicity events too. Matt embodied the role and the responsibilities that came with it far more than any other actor I've seen.
  • Options
    sparks812sparks812 Posts: 57
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed Matt for the most part. He got stuck with some crappy stories but brought several episodes from the unwatchable level to where I don't mind seeing them again from time to time. He gave better "speeches" than any of the other Doctors. His speech in "Rings of Akhaten" was incredible. His was the only regeneration episode that I'd ever choose to watch again. I think it is one of his best episodes. It still pisses me off that SM didn't have him say or at least try to say "Geronimo" before his regeneration started after it had been shoved down our throat as his catch phrase from his initial regeneration on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    sparks812 wrote: »
    I enjoyed Matt for the most part. He got stuck with some crappy stories but brought several episodes from the unwatchable level to where I don't mind seeing them again from time to time. He gave better "speeches" than any of the other Doctors. His speech in "Rings of Akhaten" was incredible. His was the only regeneration episode that I'd ever choose to watch again. I think it is one of his best episodes. It still pisses me off that SM didn't have him say or at least try to say "Geronimo" before his regeneration started after it had been shoved down our throat as his catch phrase from his initial regeneration on.
    I love that speech in "rings of akhaten" I think matt smith is the only doctor that could have pulled that off and it really does pull emotion from the viewer.
  • Options
    joe_000joe_000 Posts: 525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loved Matt Smith as the Doctor too. Have been watching since the Pertwee era and Matt is definitely one of my favourite Doctors. A shame he was lumbered with some bad stories and series arcs and behind the scenes production problems leading to a split series over two years.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Another example of Matt smith https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arAjbSkKF-Q
    I loved this when it happened, it really worked, he can do intimidation really well,
    brilliant :)
  • Options
    TalmaTalma Posts: 10,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been watching from 1963 and I love them all in varying degrees. Matt is one of my favourites but all of them have their definitive and extremely moving moments no matter what the stories are, how they're written, directed etc though Matt did seem to have more than most.
    However Capàldi is superb as well, and I havn't particularly missed Matt this time round. So it goes on:)
  • Options
    donna255donna255 Posts: 10,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am very very old going by Who (1958),standards but watched as a child with my Dad, the first one I remember was Troughton. But for me it was Baker I adored the most.

I loved Matt, he got such a hard time after Tennant(I loved him as did many), but I always give each new Who a chance. And just loved Matt after a few episodes.
  • Options
    claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think 11 is by far the most interesting Doctor and Matt played him perfectly. He was daft, adventurous, light hearted and yet tragically sad, old and filled with hubris. Things like the fact he can't say goodbye really added so much depth beneath the loveable clown exterior.

The reason I can't get on with 12 is I don't feel any substance to him. He's just grumpy. No real reason, it was just decided they wanted a change of character. Bearing in mind he just spent half his life living on one tiny planet in a war they really could've done something interesting with him but they basically brushed all that aside. It's been a real waste of PC as an actor.
  • Options
    inspector drakeinspector drake Posts: 910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This sounds odd, but even though Matt is not my favourite Doctor, I always saw him as the most ''Doctorish''. I.E, if the Doctor were a real person, the Eleventh is the first one I could imagine him being.
  • Options
    prof_traversprof_travers Posts: 209
    Forum Member
    I've been watching since mid 70s. Matt Smith is by far my favourite nu-who doctor. Eccleston follows, Capaldi next and Tennant a distant 4th.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 370
    Forum Member
    I'm thoroughly enjoying Capaldi's Doctor but he hasn't dislodged Matt Smith as my 'New Who' favourite. Still the only modern one I 'bought' as The Doctor hook, line and sinker from first scene to last. Up with the 'classic' greats Troughton and T. Baker with me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This sounds odd, but even though Matt is not my favourite Doctor, I always saw him as the most ''Doctorish''. I.E, if the Doctor were a real person, the Eleventh is the first one I could imagine him being.

Exactly this! ^^^ you said it much better than I did! (Except Matt has been my fav Doctor )
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From the title I expected anti-Capaldi rubbish - but I was wrong! A genuine and uncynical Matt Smith appreciation thread! More of these, please, Digital Spy.

One of the most Doctorry doctors, and an utterly tremendous actor - but he didn't act the Doctor, he was the Doctor. For three years, we were spoiled, and his era still feels curiously short. The Tom Baker of the 21st century. Well met, OP.
  • Options
    doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,378
    Forum Member
    d3v1ou5 wrote: »
    I grew up watching the old dr who episodes, born in 1969 watched from tom baker.
    I was excited about the dr who re-whatever with christopher eccleston, and have enjoyed it ever since,
    I do think that matt smith as the doctor added more to the show than any previous doctor because he was able to project emotion to a stupendous level, the moments when Matt Smith gave a speech were brilliant moments, check google, they really are emotional.
    In short,
    The only doctor that can make me cry when the writing is good is matt smith, so thats my opinion,
    what does everyone else think?

The part's that I have highlighted are what I feel about David tennant's doctor. There isn't really a doctor I dislike, and Matt's doctor had a certain charm of his own, and was good with speeches, but Tennant was,is, and I think always will be THE doctor for me. He could say more with a facial expression than other doctors could say in an entire speech, and the dialogue of RTD along with Tennants ability was so often just a perfect match.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rwebster wrote: »
    From the title I expected anti-Capaldi rubbish - but I was wrong! A genuine and uncynical Matt Smith appreciation thread! More of these, please, Digital Spy.

One of the most Doctorry doctors, and an utterly tremendous actor - but he didn't act the Doctor, he was the Doctor. For three years, we were spoiled, and his era still feels curiously short. The Tom Baker of the 21st century. Well met, OP.

Yes it's a nice thread,I usually shy away from a lot of DW threads as they can get a little tense but this thread isn't taking away any credit to any of the other doctors I'm enjoying Peter Capaldi just like I've enjoyed all of the doctors in different ways but yeah,like someone above said,if I had to choose a real life Doctor Matt for me would be it,
  • Options
    haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Helbore wrote: »
    Matt is my personal favourite, too. Thought he was wonderful at capturing the Doctor's childlike wonder and his extreme age. He could switch from buffoonery to chilling anger in a second and make it believable. Considering he's the youngest actor to play the role, I think he is the one who has - so far - come across as the oldest. Not all the time, but when he wants to deliver that age, he did it in a way a man in his twenties shouldn't have been able to. But he did.

I totally agree with this post. Capaldi (surprisingly for such a good actor) has not yet managed the depth that Matt had. I really miss Matt as the doctor.
  • Options
    mikey1980mikey1980 Posts: 3,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    haphash wrote: »
    I totally agree with this post. Capaldi (surprisingly for such a good actor) has not yet managed the depth that Matt had. I really miss Matt as the doctor.

I don't miss him, as I don't think Smith was particularly well-served by the writing during his time as the Doctor. Series 5 aside, the rest of his era was a case of style over substance, characterised by a lack of real characterisation.

Smith did his best to make up for the poor scripts with his zany buffoonery and was a worthy doctor. However at times he tipped over into the edge and became hammy. But Capaldi's 12th Doctor is a far more fascinating doctor to watch, and not just because the scripts he's been given have been superior. Capaldi has a screen presence and a gravitas that speaks for itself, he has no need for the hand-flapping or clowning around that Smith's Doctor did. He's a case of less is more - his face alone conveys so much more. There's a lovely vulnerability behind the harsh exterior that really comes out when Capaldi and Jenna share scenes together.

When I watched Smith, I saw an actor trying to be alternative and different. When I watch Capaldi I see a 2000 year old alien who simply is different. Capaldi all the way for me.
  • Options
    bbll22bbll22 Posts: 527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mikey1980 wrote: »
    I don't miss him, as I don't think Smith was particularly well-served by the writing during his time as the Doctor. Series 5 aside, the rest of his era was a case of style over substance, characterised by a lack of real characterisation.

Smith did his best to make up for the poor scripts with his zany buffoonery and was a worthy doctor. However at times he tipped over into the edge and became hammy. But Capaldi's 12th Doctor is a far more fascinating doctor to watch, and not just because the scripts he's been given have been superior. Capaldi has a screen presence and a gravitas that speaks for itself, he has no need for the hand-flapping or clowning around that Smith's Doctor did. He's a case of less is more - his face alone conveys so much more. There's a lovely vulnerability behind the harsh exterior that really comes out when Capaldi and Jenna share scenes together.

When I watched Smith, I saw an actor trying to be alternative and different. When I watch Capaldi I see a 2000 year old alien who simply is different. Capaldi all the way for me.[/QUOTE]

Well I'm the complete opposite, when I watched Matt I saw the Doctor in front of me, he was funny, zany, likeable but also old in the exact same moment despite his youthful face. He got what the Doctor was for me and it's what the role is, not this stripped back, barely anything that's unlikeable that we have now. That's just not the Doctor...

Capaldi hasn't shone at all in the role for me and unless he radically ups his game for S9, he's not in threat of topping Matt as my favourite Doctor. Another thing I find as well with Peter is that I'm very aware he's acting in the role. He's not inhibited it at all, he's just a lead actor, he's not become the part. There's just something very lacking in his portrayal.

Matt had it all, he was the Doctor!
  • Options
    haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mikey1980 wrote: »

When I watched Smith, I saw an actor trying to be alternative and different. When I watch Capaldi I see a 2000 year old alien who simply is different. Capaldi all the way for me.

Hey this thread is an appreciation of Matt :confused: and I agree with bbli22
  • Options
    Sufyaan_KaziSufyaan_Kazi Posts: 3,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt Smith was good, not one of the greatest in my opinion. BUT I love the fact that many people who have known the show for so long as evidenced above do like him so much, so what do I know eh :)

Great thread :D