Options

Police probe Katie Hopkins anti Glaswegian Ebola tweets

Comments

• Options
    TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    neelia wrote: »
    It's not racism unless Glaswegians are a race.

See my post above. Maybe they are?
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=76236893&postcount=43
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Jakobjoe wrote: »
    we definatley need new laws to protect freedom of speech in the constitution like in the usa

We just need people to stop posting shite on the internet first.
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    solenoid wrote: »
    Notice the hypocrisy people?

A left wing satire show like "Mock the Week" makes jokes regarding incest about people in East Anglia and nothing is done.

Then Hopkins, on Twitter, makes a comment about Glaswegians and suddenly "PC PC" of the Yard has to spend tax payers' money investigating her.

In the first one, common sense has prevailed.

In the second, social justice warriors and their bullshit prevails.
  • Options
    SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »

Do you think that's likely?
  • Options
    the ocelotthe ocelot Posts: 388
    Forum Member
    Everything Scotland and Glasgow has been shoved down our throats relentlessly this year. I'm sick of it.
  • Options
    Dr. ClawDr. Claw Posts: 7,375
    Forum Member
    Like all trolls and keyboard warriors, they feel so safe tweeting from the comfort of their bedrooms, basements, dungeons, bridges, big houses in her case, probably,whatever....she's nothing different; just got a media profile, mainly for being a mean-spirited, snobby, vaguely nauseating but very savvy ar*e. I think a visit to Glasgow city centre to give her sophisticated opinions face to face would be a good idea.

I'll pay for the ticket.

i dont see the problem here. you're just whining like a little baby about it :kitty:
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    Katie Hopkins is a detestable tool and her comments were bang out of order, but arresting someone for posting crap on Twitter has got to be a waste of police time.
  • Options
    neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Words are starting to loose their meaning with each word taking on meanings because of incorrect usage. When each word means anything - no word means anything :(.

I'll stick out for real meanings :)
  • Options
    Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dr. Claw wrote: »
    i dont see the problem here. you're just whining like a little baby about it :kitty:

Heh. Tbh, couldn't care less, but on the main forum page I could just see "Police probe Katie Hopkins....." so thought I'd have a shufty. :)

I'm right though. :p
  • Options
    muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Seems, to me, that some people expect the police to act like internet moderators these days.

"Bwahhh! Somebody hurt my feelings! Ban them from teh internetz!!!!"
    I would generally agree with you on that, although I think that - with cyber-bullying being a relatively new thing (in the larger scheme of things) - there are yet to be clearly defined parameters as to what constitutes bullying as opposed to a person just being nasty, at the moment it's all a bit blurred around the edges.

We all want the right and freedom to pretty much say whatever we want online, but obviously there comes a point where rules are needed and monitoring has to happen, because we all know that not all people are moderate, not all are able to shrug off certain things that are done or said online, and so on, and because it's all rather new and shiny in the world of 'crime', there's going to be a massive learning curve as to what should and shouldn't be allowed.

Of course we want people to express their views, we want the freedom to do so - and in KH's case she's expressing her views and those who read and react are expressing their reactions to whatever drivel she types, and yes it really shouldn't be a matter for the police just because somebody found offence within her stupidity. Write something less stupid back, would be my response :D
  • Options
    neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that it is dreadful that very very limited police resources are being diverted to this shite. Whilst this is going on somewhere in some chat room some dangerous child abuser is grooming his next victim, I'd much rather the police were in there.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    lemoncurd wrote: »

The internet is going to be a very quiet place if everything that somebody can take offence to is stopped.

In fact, at the risk of being accused of baseless speculation, I suspect that some people will claim to be offended by anything published by certain people, regardless of how innocuous that thing actually is, simply because it'd be a terrific way to censor people they don't approve of.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    Katie Hopkins is a detestable tool and her comments were bang out of order, but arresting someone for posting crap on Twitter has got to be a waste of police time.
    Where does it say they arrested her?
  • Options
    TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member
    Will_Bee wrote: »
    More disgraceful racist anti Glasgow bile from Hopkins.

Police are examining complaints about Ebola comments tweeted by controversial TV personality Katie Hopkins.

Following news that a Scots nurse was being treated for the virus, she wrote: "Sending us Ebola bombs in the form of sweaty Glaswegians just isn't cricket."

Another tweet said: "Glaswegian ebola patient moved to London's Royal Free Hospital. Not so independent when it matters most are we jocksville?"

good, hopefully they will lock the vile troll up and forget about her :D
  • Options
    Dr. ClawDr. Claw Posts: 7,375
    Forum Member
    Heh. Tbh, couldn't care less, but on the main forum page I could just see "Police probe Katie Hopkins....." so thought I'd have a shufty. :)

I'm right though. :p

you took it well :D look its new years soon drink and be happy. peoples opinions arent always that important :kitty:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    Save police time and money... send her up to Sauchiehall Street with a microphone.. see how long she lasts
  • Options
    abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    If they charge her or jail her, she'll get even more publicity, which is just what she wants.

Ignore her and she'll go away.
  • Options
    JakobjoeJakobjoe Posts: 8,235
    Forum Member
    solenoid wrote: »
    Notice the hypocrisy people?

A left wing satire show like "Mock the Week" makes jokes regarding incest about people in East Anglia and nothing is done.

Then Hopkins, on Twitter, makes a comment about Glaswegians and suddenly "PC PC" of the Yard has to spend tax payers' money investigating her.

yeah.. thats so true..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    good, hopefully they will lock the vile troll up and forget about her :D
    They will... in the BB House haha :D
  • Options
    Will_BeeWill_Bee Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neelia wrote: »
    It's not racism unless Glaswegians are a race.
    What is a race then if its not a collective group of people? let the lawmakers decide on exact definitions. All I know is I feel abused and offended by it, and I want something done about these posh nobs running down working class cities.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    muggins14 wrote: »
    I would generally agree with you on that, although I think that - with cyber-bullying being a relatively new thing (in the larger scheme of things) - there are yet to be clearly defined parameters as to what constitutes bullying as opposed to a person just being nasty, at the moment it's all a bit blurred around the edges.

We all want the right and freedom to pretty much say whatever we want online, but obviously there comes a point where rules are needed and monitoring has to happen, because we all know that not all people are moderate, not all are able to shrug off certain things that are done or said online, and so on, and because it's all rather new and shiny in the world of 'crime', there's going to be a massive learning curve as to what should and shouldn't be allowed.

Of course we want people to express their views, we want the freedom to do so - and in KH's case she's expressing her views and those who read and react are expressing their reactions to whatever drivel she types, and yes it really shouldn't be a matter for the police just because somebody found offence within her stupidity. Write something less stupid back, would be my response :D

See, I'm not sure it all needs to be "blurred around the edges" at all.

If I'm posting nasty stuff on the internet about a specific individual then I could be accused of harassment regardless of the medium in use.
    That covers cyber-bullying perfectly well.

If somebody's just making general comments about "sweaty socks" or "wops" or "spics" or whatever then, distasteful as it might be to some people, I don't see how there's cause for complaint unless those comments do stray onto ground covered by other laws which, again, should mean the medium isn't important.
  • Options
    reglipreglip Posts: 5,268
    Forum Member
    Twitter should ban her that would really **** with her "career" that would be great news she would be gutted
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    See, I'm not sure it all needs to be "blurred around the edges" at all.

If I'm posting nasty stuff on the internet about a specific individual then I could be accused of harassment regardless of the medium in use.
    That covers cyber-bullying perfectly well.

If somebody's just making general comments about "sweaty socks" or "wops" or "spics" or whatever then, distasteful as it might be to some people, I don't see how there's cause for complaint unless those comments do stray onto ground covered by other laws which, again, should mean the medium isn't important.

Yeah, I'm with you on this one.

Sure, I find the idea of her getting arrested pretty funny, but not funny enough to justify what's essentially increased policing of the bits of the internet that aren't already doing illegal stuff.
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    idlewilde wrote: »
    No Anne, it was a general comment, not some statement of fact.

No Idlewilde it was an unsupported "idle" assumption, to denigrate Glaswegians, if we have to be correct.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    anne_666 wrote: »
    No Idlewilde it was an unsupported "idle" assumption, to denigrate Glaswegians, if we have to be correct.

How does it denigrate Glaswegians to refer to them as "hardy folk"? :confused: