Options

Things that have disappeared from the supermarket shelves or are much rarer now

realwalesrealwales Posts: 3,110
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I was thinking while walking around my local supermarket about how certain products that were very common even 10 years ago have either completely disappeared from the shelves or are much harder to find nowadays. A few examples:

Maxwell House coffee I remember growing up this was right up there with Nescafe as the nation's leading brand, and there were TV adverts with Noel Edmonds. Nowadays, most supermarkets no longer stock it at all. Morrisons still does the blue jar granulated coffee, but the red jar powder coffee is now very rare indeed, I've also seen the sachet boxes in pound shops. In Britain, it's now produced by Kraft.

Brooke Bond D tea This used to be a very popular brand, and, so my elders tell me, one of the better teas on the market. It's now manufactured by Typhoo and is available to buy in their online shop, with identical packaging to before minus the 'Brooke Bond' words.

Ross frozen foods Much rarer than it used to be.

There must be plenty of others too.....

Comments

• Options
    Monty_HallMonty_Hall Posts: 1,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not the same thing but I saw some people on Black Friday fighting over a telly called a Polaroid.

Same brand as the old camera company but not the same company I dont think.

Theres a few of these recycled brands. I think Bush and Bluapunkt might be 2 more.
  • Options
    miss_astridmiss_astrid Posts: 1,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Turkey Twizzlers. I used to love them so much. Damn Jamie Oliver. :mad:
  • Options
    farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    El Dorado
  • Options
    MichPlatMichPlat Posts: 2,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ice Breakers

Heinz Curried Beans
  • Options
    moonlilymoonlily Posts: 7,896
    Forum Member
    Mateus Rose?

Symingtons Table Creams

Treetop Squashes/Cordials

Spangles
  • Options
    riverside 57riverside 57 Posts: 14,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MichPlat wrote: »
    Ice Breakers

Heinz Curried Beans

I can still get Heinz curried beans, just not in the single serving tins anymore, just the large ones.

There used to be a little microwave meal pot by Princes with Tikka Masala which used to be quite tasty but I haven't seen them in over 7 years now. Probably just as well as they were most likely hellishly fatty and unhealthy, delicious though :kitty:

Also in the frozen food department, it's very rare to see Findus products. Anyone remember in the early 80s their French bread pizzas? They were yummy too.
  • Options
    treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chocolate yogurts.

I miss them so much :(
  • Options
    Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Toast Toppers. (still a few tins available in £1 shops but they are running out of them now)

Toffee Crisps in plain chocolate, (I used to love these but they haven't been seen for years now)

Special K Bliss cereal (there are other Special K cereals but the Bliss one was my fave)

Toblerone Ice-Cream (not seen for several years)

Peach Pie Filling,

Peach Curd (seems to only be the obvious Lemon curd or the occasional Lime curd or Orange Churd now).
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,999
    Forum Member
    BN biscuits.
  • Options
    realwalesrealwales Posts: 3,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can still get Breakaway milk chocolate bars in the yellow wrapper but I haven't seen the plain chocolate version in the red wrapper for some years.
  • Options
    HaloJoeHaloJoe Posts: 13,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ice Poles....Mr Freeze etc.
  • Options
    CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gypsy Creams ?

Tins of mince that DON'T have effing onions or effing peas in them, just the effing mince please FFS ....eh ?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,405
    Forum Member
    BNBN biscuits
    Other flavours of Sunny Delight apart from orange
    Those squeezy juice drinks with the tap shaped cap that you twisted off (I can't remember what they were called)
    Green ketchup
    Roo Juice
    Panda Pops
    TNT fizzy drink

I realise a lot of these products have been discontinued now.
  • Options
    bbclassicsbbclassics Posts: 7,806
    Forum Member
    Diet Coke with Lemon- was tasty, what happened to it.

And McVities Penguin range had sweets called Flipper Dippers (and others) which me and my mates would always eat in primary school.
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Vesta curries
    Trio biscuits
  • Options
    treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Toast Toppers. (still a few tins available in £1 shops but they are running out of them now)

Toffee Crisps in plain chocolate, (I used to love these but they haven't been seen for years now)

Special K Bliss cereal (there are other Special K cereals but the Bliss one was my fave)

Toblerone Ice-Cream (not seen for several years)

Peach Pie Filling,

Peach Curd (seems to only be the obvious Lemon curd or the occasional Lime curd or Orange Churd now).

I used to love Toast Topppers, especially 'curried chicken' until they added sweet corn to the recipe. Then the only one I bought was ham and mushroom and now I cannot find that.

Have people got no taste, these days?
  • Options
    fhs man 2fhs man 2 Posts: 7,591
    Forum Member
    Yo Yo Biscuits gone (Early 2000's) Similar to viscount but not the same.

Echo Biscuits gone (Don't know when these went probably around 2009)

Maggi Hot Pockets gone (Mid 2000's)

Panda Pop gone replaced by Panda Still Water which is just rubbish. Apparently too many colours and stuff, PC brigade struck again. (Early-Mid 2000's)
    indie.star wrote: »
    BNBN biscuits
    Other flavours of Sunny Delight apart from orange
    Those squeezy juice drinks with the tap shaped cap that you twisted off (I can't remember what they were called)
    Green ketchup
    Roo Juice
    Panda Pops
    TNT fizzy drink

I realise a lot of these products have been discontinued now.

They got rid of them but brought them back a couple of years ago there is currently an advert running on TV for them, where have you been.

TNT drink OMG, I thought I was the only one to remember that tried Googling to find nothing of the trace.
  • Options
    rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have not seen fizzy Ribena for a long time. I remember I used to like that and it used to be in a dark purple can and the writing was a computerized font. I recall drinking it as a teenager whilst my friends were actually consuming alcohol. The drink used to make me laugh and my mates would come and say what are you drinking and they looked at the can said your getting p*****d on Ribena.
  • Options
    fhs man 2fhs man 2 Posts: 7,591
    Forum Member
    rfonzo wrote: »
    I have not seen fizzy Ribena for a long time. I remember I used to like that and it used to be in a dark purple can and the writing was a computerized font. I recall drinking it as a teenager whilst my friends were actually consuming alcohol. The drink used to make me laugh and my mates would come and say what are you drinking and they looked at the can said your getting p*****d on Ribena.

Well, I don't know when you were a teenager but I recall only seeing Ribena only ever once in a can and that was in Summer 2008 in the TK Maxx in Elgin, Scotland. I was that amazed and bearing in mind that I was only 12 at the time, I of course bought it. Once I opened the can it was only then that I realised that it was fizzy. I never seen it again after that. Some sort of time jump there, Woolworths still existed.

Getting back to the point this has since been relaunched in bottle form as Sparkling Ribena, I seen it advertised on a bus stop as recently as about 6 months ago so should still be in the shops.
  • Options
    Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Peppermint Wispa bars (they were lovely)
    Wholenut Galaxy bars.
  • Options
    MissCharleyPMissCharleyP Posts: 1,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    realwales wrote: »
    I was thinking while walking around my local supermarket about how certain products that were very common even 10 years ago have either completely disappeared from the shelves or are much harder to find nowadays. A few examples:

Maxwell House coffee I remember growing up this was right up there with Nescafe as the nation's leading brand, and there were TV adverts with Noel Edmonds. Nowadays, most supermarkets no longer stock it at all. Morrisons still does the blue jar granulated coffee, but the red jar powder coffee is now very rare indeed, I've also seen the sachet boxes in pound shops. In Britain, it's now produced by Kraft.

Brooke Bond D tea This used to be a very popular brand, and, so my elders tell me, one of the better teas on the market. It's now manufactured by Typhoo and is available to buy in their online shop, with identical packaging to before minus the 'Brooke Bond' words.

Ross frozen foods Much rarer than it used to be.

There must be plenty of others too.....

Was Brooke Bond the one that you got the cards in? My grandad had a big box of these. About 1/4 the size of a playing card with a picture on the front and info on the back. They were in series like 'Birds of Britain' and 'Mysteries of the World'. I loved them and one of the pack (I think they were in threes) always had the imprint of a tea bag!
  • Options
    jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Peppermint Wispa bars (they were lovely)
    Wholenut Galaxy bars.
    You can get mint aero, very addictive though.

Viscount biscuits?
  • Options
    bootyachebootyache Posts: 15,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Monty_Hall wrote: »
    Not the same thing but I saw some people on Black Friday fighting over a telly called a Polaroid.

Same brand as the old camera company but not the same company I dont think.

Theres a few of these recycled brands. I think Bush and Bluapunkt might be 2 more.

We bought a Bush tv in 2014. 42 inch and smart. ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    Vesta curries
    Trio biscuits

You can get both these in the pound shops.

Don't like/buy them though. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HaloJoe wrote: »
    Ice Poles....Mr Freeze etc.

You can get these in Lidl's. :)