Options

Queen and Adam Lambert BBC1

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm just catching up with this now and LOVING it. Freddie was unique, but they've finally found a worthy successor in Adam. Phenomenal voice and presence. I hope he sticks with them.

Ditto. I've just watched a 2 hours plus documentary of his career after watching it on BBCi. I remember him on Idol but he's even better now.
    No, he's not Freddie, but the whole thing was STUPENDOUS. To think I didn't watch it live annoys me. It's not the same on catch up.
  • Options
    mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Let's not forget he is also a great performer in his own right,
    This is him with no mic even
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPxikfRwsCw
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    I found the show by accident on NYE and what a brilliant way to start the new year. Whilst I liked many of the songs done by Queen over the years I was never a fan but with Adam Lambert I want to go and see them perform live. He brought his own quality to the music which blended so well.
    My only annoyance is that I have missed out on this treasure for the last 2 years and I am rapidly making up for it via YouTube.
    For those who don't like him that is fair enough we are all of us entitled to that view but I suspect he has completely revived the band and brought a whole new audience to them (me included) I wish I had tickets to see them, and like so many other ladies I have fallen ever so slightly in lust with the gloriously camp and utterly beautiful Adam Lambert :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    like so many other ladies I have fallen ever so slightly in lust with the gloriously camp and utterly beautiful Adam Lambert :p
    I dreamed about him after New Years Eve and darn it, I'm still trying to get back to that dream! :cry:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I dreamed about him after New Years Eve and darn it, I'm still trying to get back to that dream! :cry:

I'm enjoying the day dreams ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm enjoying the day dreams ;-)
    This was so real darn it and it stayed with me all day.
    We were having a snog and he declared his devotion.
    So I thought I should be more demonstrative and gave him a big hug telling everyone around how I felt about him. Except I didn't have my glasses on and I hugged the wrong man! :o
    Then I couldn't find him to make amends and I spent the remainder of the dream frantically going from bloke to bloke. They all looked a bit similar at a distance but were never him.
    Then I woke up. :cry:
    Maybe I need therapy.
  • Options
    Kaz159Kaz159 Posts: 11,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tigragirl wrote: »
    Here are Brian, Roger and Adam doing an interview about their tour, how they feel about what they are doing and how they rate Adam
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=APKDf0GYeh0

Thanks for the link. :)
  • Options
    natalie77natalie77 Posts: 2,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tally wrote: »
    Ditto. I've just watched a 2 hours plus documentary of his career after watching it on BBCi. I remember him on Idol but he's even better now.
    No, he's not Freddie, but the whole thing was STUPENDOUS. To think I didn't watch it live annoys me. It's not the same on catch up.

When you say you watched a 2 hour documentary of his career do you mean Freddie or Adam?
  • Options
    natalie77natalie77 Posts: 2,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a long time fan of Adams it's been so lovely seeing so many people discover his amazingness since NYE :D

Luckily I'm going to the o2 in a few weeks to see them live and I can't wait I saw them play Hammersmith a few years back & it was a great show :D
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    tigragirl wrote: »
    Here are Brian, Roger and Adam doing an interview about their tour, how they feel about what they are doing and how they rate Adam
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=APKDf0GYeh0

Roger and Brian always come across as such genuinely likeable, down to earth people.

Am I a fan of Lambert? Not really, but I don't think that matters when it comes to Roger and Brian being able to get on stage and perform with such a back catalogue of songs (although Brian had a good point when he half-jokingly said that they really have too many hits!).

I personally prefer the early stuff, Queen I & II, News of the World, Day at the Races, etc, a lot of which doesn't really get played at their concerts e.g. March of the Black Queen, The Fairy Feller's Master-Stroke and the lovely White Queen
  • Options
    elnombreelnombre Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bryemycaz wrote: »
    I know what you mean about Roger I know we all get old. But look here apart from the grey hair Brian has not changed much but Roger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JofwEB9g1zg

Well so what, I don't think Queen's major draw was ever Roger Taylor's sex appeal. ;)
  • Options
    elnombreelnombre Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Roger and Brian always come across as such genuinely likeable, down to earth people.

Am I a fan of Lambert? Not really, but I don't think that matters when it comes to Roger and Brian being able to get on stage and perform with such a back catalogue of songs (although Brian had a good point when he half-jokingly said that they really have too many hits!).

I personally prefer the early stuff, Queen I & II, News of the World, Day at the Races, etc, a lot of which doesn't really get played at their concerts e.g. March of the Black Queen, The Fairy Feller's Master-Stroke and the lovely White Queen

Nevermore is probably my favourite Queen song of all.
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    elnombre wrote: »
    Nevermore is probably my favourite Queen song of all.

'Queen II' is such a good album! In some ways I'm not sure they really ever bettered it. It's so fresh and original althouh Melody Maker said:
    "It's reputed Queen have enjoyed some success in the States, it's currently in the balance whether they'll really break through here. If they do, then I'll have to eat my hat or something. Maybe Queen try too hard, there's no depth of sound or feeling."
  • Options
    patricia50patricia50 Posts: 3,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with many people that no one will replace Freddie but Adam was brilliant and I hope he stays with Queen for a while. Far superior to the last guest singer. I saw Adam briefly on American Idol and thought he had talent then and I often listen to his acoustic EP live at Glam Nation. I think he did justice to the songs and has an amazing voice, but then again I am quite partial to a male Diva lol. I thoughroughly enjoyed it.
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's good. He has the theatrical stage presence to pull it off without it seeming like he's forcing himself to be Freddie. I think the idea of mixing in some genuine Freddie vocals/footage on a screen works well. I think Freddie would approve because at the end of the day they're still playing his songs and they're still performing them live. So in that respect his work lives on and is perhaps reaching new ears for the first time. Never a bad thing.

I just read Simon Fuller described him as: "He's like Marc Bolan meets Bowie, with a touch of Freddie Mercury and the sexiness of Prince". - Spot on!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's good. He has the theatrical stage presence to pull it off without it seeming like he's forcing himself to be Freddie. I think the idea of mixing in some genuine Freddie vocals/footage on a screen works well. I think Freddie would approve because at the end of the day they're still playing his songs and they're still performing them live. So in that respect his work lives on and is perhaps reaching new ears for the first time. Never a bad thing.

Totally agree. What comes across to me is how natural they come across. It's all so effortless. This is Queen MK2. Some purists may not like it and that's fine. We can't all like the same. But it seems there are more than enough fans to fill venues worldwide. Good luck to both of them.
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hadn't heard of Adam til he appeared on the X-Factor a few weeks ago but he was fantastic on this. No Freddie but then who is?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hadn't heard of Adam til he appeared on the X-Factor a few weeks ago but he was fantastic on this. No Freddie but then who is?
    Please go back and listen to all the links. Adam is class all on his own without even a mic.
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Please go back and listen to all the links. Adam is class all on his own without even a mic.

I heard him on the X-Factor a few weeks ago, thought he was good then.
  • Options
    Torch81Torch81 Posts: 15,914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Queen's Greatest Hits has predictably made a big jump back up the charts off the back of this. From 75-42, I thought it would crash back into the top 20 at least though. (Although maybe practically everyone's got a copy by now!).

I also thought one or both of Adam Lambert's solo albums would enter the top 100 album chart also, surprisingly neither has!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    All of Adam Lambert's stuff is out of stock on Amazon at the moment but I imagine many like me have still ordered and hope it won't be too long before it arrives :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    The BBC concert was really great, but it was constrained by time and had to follow a format very strictly. The QAL concerts this summer were very different - opened with a Rainbow '74 vibe - "Now I'm Here" - "Stone Cold Crazy" - and in much larger venues - and much different types of audiences. Here's SCC at SummerSonic to get a feel for them -

http://youtu.be/A4nuj8WTPiI
  • Options
    bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The BBC concert was really great, but it was constrained by time and had to follow a format very strictly. The QAL concerts this summer were very different - opened with a Rainbow '74 vibe - "Now I'm Here" - "Stone Cold Crazy" - and in much larger venues - and much different types of audiences. Here's SCC at SummerSonic to get a feel for them -

http://youtu.be/A4nuj8WTPiI

You know I'm not so sure about this one. Adam's not putting enough oomph to this song, This should be sung with a more gitty voice. He sounds too nice. :(
  • Options
    boardboyboardboy Posts: 262
    Forum Member
    elnombre wrote: »
    First time I'd seen them with Adam. I was impressed. A far better frontman than Paul Rodgers ever was.

I thought overall it was a great show. I'm quite surprised by the reaction here it was far more positive on twitter.

Paul Rodgers and Adam Lambert are totally different types of singers. In different Queen songs each excel in their own way. I have seen Paul 3 times, I'm seeing Adam next week. Ill reserve judgement until then
  • Options
    pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not a fan of Lambert's, but I did give this a go but couldn't stick with it and turned over.

To those saying that the band should have stopped when Freddie died... why? The band didn't start with him, he joined the band that Roger and Brian had already started. It didn't start with him so why should it end with him? Plus, Brian and Roger clearly love performing live and would rather do that instead of sitting about doing not much else. I enjoy Queen's music and do miss Freddie, but it is nice to see the music being kept alive and enjoyed and interpreted by newer, younger artists putting their slant on it. Having Brian and Roger involved in remastering old songs and releasing new music from the archives is also great too.