Options

Would You Treat Yourself to a Takeaway to celbrate a Weight Loss??

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,110
Forum Member
✭✭
There is a program on Channel 5 at the moment showing overweight people trying to lose weight.

The couple they just showed who are attending a weightloss class lost weight this week - but when they got home they ordered a kebab delivery to reward themselves! :o

I can understand the feeling of wanting to celebrate their achievements but surely this is completely counterproductive?

Comments

• Options
    Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    I'd buy something new to wear, not something fattening to eat. What's the point of undoing all the hard work? If I'd been chubby and was on my way to being slender, I'd be dying to wear nice clothes and look fabulous.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I have a couple of friends who are on fitness regimes. They goto the gym to work out and swim during the week, don't drink and eat healthy.

At the weekend all bets are off. Out drinking, McD, takeaways etc.

I guess you have to find your own balance.
  • Options
    Sweetpea7Sweetpea7 Posts: 87
    Forum Member
    Omg im sat here shouting at the telly on this one! There is the mother of the 32 st 18 yr old treating her like she is poorly and the girl saying" its not my fault im like this " well yes it is!!! You have just said you drink 2and half ltrs of coke a day, containing 80 tsp sugar:o
    No one is putting the grub down their throats !>:(
  • Options
    muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a massive pizza every week to celebrate my continuing weight loss.

I've been diabetic since the end of July, completely changed my eating habits and lost 2.5 stone. I refused, however, to give up my once-a-week pizza and have managed to lose all that weight including the weekly pizza in my diet :D (and a sweet treat once a week, which is quite often a McFlurry).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sweetpea7 wrote: »
    Omg im sat here shouting at the telly on this one! There is the mother of the 32 st 18 yr old treating her like she is poorly and the girl saying" its not my fault im like this " well yes it is!!! You have just said you drink 2and half ltrs of coke a day, containing 80 tsp sugar:o
    No one is putting the grub down their throats !>:(

Calm Down Dear!! :p

(just joking with you)

Well I suppose with a program titled Too Fat To Work or whatever it was it's obvious they would choose only the most extreme (and very obese) people to be shown.

I did notice her mum saying she had to choose 'low sugar' butter, or whatever it was, for her daughters sarnies (for health reasons) :confused:
    I'm sure what butter/spread to use is the least of their worries.

Regarding the drinking several litres of full fat cola daily though, I think that really is an addiction as I had a friend who had the same problem, she drank it constantly throughout the day and couldn't stop. She was very tiny though and her main problem was the effect it had on her teeth - but she still couldn't stop!!! :o
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    I expect it works for some people.

If I were very overweight though I would see that as a very unhelpful relationship with food. Once fatty, salty and sugary foods are seen as a reward for living for a week on healthy food drudgery then I'd imagine the diet would be doomed.

A little bit of what you fancy and no binges is probably the best way forward.
  • Options
    paralaxparalax Posts: 12,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am starting to sound like Katie Hopkins watching this. Why don't the authorities step in when a child is as overweight as that poor girl was when she was at school, that mother is a disgrace.

They all pay lip service to wanting to work, where is their insentive, when they are paid to sit on their backsides getting everything paid for.

I can't feel sympathy for any of them, except the teenager whose mother did her such harm.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    muggins14 wrote: »
    I have a massive pizza every week to celebrate my continuing weight loss.

I've been diabetic since the end of July, completely changed my eating habits and lost 2.5 stone. I refused, however, to give up my once-a-week pizza and have managed to lose all that weight including the weekly pizza in my diet :D (and a sweet treat once a week, which is quite often a McFlurry).

Fair enough. Well done to you.

The man on the show though only lost one pound that week and went straight home to order a kebab (with the obligatory bit of salad on the side of course)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HALibutt wrote: »
    Fair enough. Well done to you.

The man on the show though only lost one pound that week and went straight home to order a kebab (with the obligatory bit of salad on the side of course)
    I admit I'm not watching - I don't like Channel 5's new agenda of bashing groups of people - those on benefits, overweight people on benefits, overweight people not on benefits but on diets, overweight people deemed unfit for work - it seems too much like programming sponsored by the Tories and Iain Duncan-Smith for me, Daily Mail fodder for the masses to reassure them that hating on groups of people is government approved.

With regard to that guy you mention though, seems to me he's rewarding his bad eating with a bit of good eating, as opposed to what I'm doing, rewarding the mostly good with a bit of bad :D He's got it arse about face, so to speak ;)
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's no harm in having one treat per week if you eat sensibly other six days. Even better if you're fairly active in all things physical (from a proper house clean to a couple of trips to a gym) daily as well.

It's all about moderation, self-discipline and common sense, really.
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is a program on Channel 5 at the moment showing overweight people trying to lose weight.

The couple they just showed who are attending a weightloss class lost weight this week - but when they got home they ordered a kebab delivery to reward themselves! :o

I can understand the feeling of wanting to celebrate their achievements but surely this is completely counterproductive?

Yes but perfect idiots for a dog end Ch 5 weight loss, pile of shite reality programme.
  • Options
    Finny SkeletaFinny Skeleta Posts: 2,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I lost just under two stone quite easily last summer with a programme that allowed for a damn good drink on a Saturday and the obligatory Sunday morning recovery Full English.

As long as you know exactly what is going into your body and you account for it then you can pretty much eat anything you want and lose weight. As long as you know the difference between eating anything you want and eating everything you want.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I admit I'm not watching - I don't like Channel 5's new agenda of bashing groups of people - those on benefits, overweight people on benefits, overweight people not on benefits but on diets, overweight people deemed unfit for work - it seems too much like programming sponsored by the Tories and Iain Duncan-Smith for me, Daily Mail fodder for the masses to reassure them that hating on groups of people is government approved.

With regard to that guy you mention though, seems to me he's rewarding his bad eating with a bit of good eating, as opposed to what I'm doing, rewarding the mostly good with a bit of bad :D He's got it arse about face, so to speak ;)

that bit did make me laugh :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    There's no harm in having one treat per week if you eat sensibly other six days. Even better if you're fairly active in all things physical (from a proper house clean to a couple of trips to a gym) daily as well.

It's all about moderation, self-discipline and common sense, really.
    Exactly.

When the salad is the treat rather than the calorie/fat-laden food, that is the problem :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    that bit did make me laugh :D
    Haha :D They are currently real shows though on C5 aren't they, all of them :D

ETA: I'm waiting for the one with politicians claiming a benefit who are overweight and not on a diet :D;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I lost just under two stone quite easily last summer with a programme that allowed for a damn good drink on a Saturday and the obligatory Sunday morning recovery Full English.

As long as you know exactly what is going into your body and you account for it then you can pretty much eat anything you want and lose weight. As long as you know the difference between eating anything you want and eating everything you want.

I agree. One of the problems with the people on this show though was not just eating the wrong foods but mahoosive portions of food, whether good or bad.
    They can't really be serious about losing weight.
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    paralax wrote: »
    I am starting to sound like Katie Hopkins watching this. Why don't the authorities step in when a child is as overweight as that poor girl was when she was at school, that mother is a disgrace.

It's all too common I'm afraid. We have many obese kids in school with rolls of fat, and they get tired and breathless.

The packed lunches they bring are a sight to behold. One brings pie, a pastie, a whole packet of dairylea (the regular sized round pack with six triangles), two cans of coke, sweets and crisps.
    I've raised a concern several times, and head of year has phoned the parents, but what can you do?
    I directly but politely pointed out to the mum (also enormous) on parent's evening that the sheer carb load and consequent sugar slump were making her son sleepy and inattentive in afternoon, but I got told in no uncertain terms that it was up to me to prepare lessons that engaged him so he didn't doze off.

The lad is ill.
  • Options
    BrotherDanielBrotherDaniel Posts: 1,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I have a couple of friends who are on fitness regimes. They goto the gym to work out and swim during the week, don't drink and eat healthy.

At the weekend all bets are off. Out drinking, McD, takeaways etc.

I guess you have to find your own balance.

Terrible tactic for being healthy
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Exactly.

When the salad is the treat rather than the calorie/fat-laden food, that is the problem :D

:o I'm a full on masochist. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    It's all too common I'm afraid. We have many obese kids in school with rolls of fat, and they get tired and breathless.

The packed lunches they bring are a sight to behold. One brings pie, a pastie, a whole packet of dairylea (the regular sized round pack with six triangles), two cans of coke, sweets and crisps.
    I've raised a concern several times, and head of year has phoned the parents, but what can you do?
    I directly but politely pointed out to the mum (also enormous) on parent's evening that the sheer carb load and consequent sugar slump were making her son sleepy and inattentive in afternoon, but I got told in no uncertain terms that it was up to me to prepare lessons that engaged him so he didn't doze off.

The lad is ill.

That's awful.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The lad is ill.
    That's so sad :( So irresponsible of the parents.

My daughter's school are quite rigorous about what they give the kids for school lunches, which is what my daughter has, and I give them permission for her to have one sweet pudding a week, the rest of the week she can have fruit. I found out they were letting her skip the water drinks at school (obviously they can't force her) and didn't let me know, so she was dehydrated and constipated, I now send in some sugar-free squash in a flask which has to be finished each day.

I ask them to write in her home-school book whenever she has some birthday cake or a sweet reward (which they hand out once a week) so that I'm not unaware and let her have a treat too. We have no biscuits, no sweets, nothing at home except for once a week she gets £1 to spend on herself (you can't really get much with £1, which is the general idea :D) but no soft drinks. Basically I want to know what's going into her mouth before she becomes overweight and ill, rather than allowing that to happen.

I do all of this a) because I love her dearly and b) because she's less mobile due to her disability and therefore more prone to putting on weight. I am aware that she's 14 and so her appetite is increased, I account for that, but she also (thankfully) loves carrots and, if she's peckish or bored and wants a snack, she munches on a few of those in-between meals :D

ETA: If she had her own way, she'd go without a drink for a week... I can't even get my head around that at all!
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Exactly.

:cry::D I love salads. My only real indulgence - a massive bowl of shredded lettuce, rocket or other leaves, chopped grapes (black and green), peppers (green, yellow, red & orange), chopped tomatoes, chopped celery sticks, diced cheddar cheese, and diced (steamed or fried) potatoes. Occasionally bacon pieces/lardons.

With and without buttered baguette slices. Occasionally have it with a baked potato. It's 100% mine.

No one is allowed to touch it while I have portions from that bowl throughout one day. I once almost had a meltdown when I caught my daughter sneaking some from The Bowl. :D
  • Options
    Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Doesn't sound like an incredibly healthy mindset, but I don't believe you should cut out everything you enjoy when trying to lose weight. I'm on a diet right now to lose a couple of stone(which I lost before but then life got in the way and things like bereavements and exams happened and I put it all back on >:( )

When I was most successful at losing weight, it was when I didn't cut out things completely. I still had alcohol and I still had takeaways. I just had them in moderation and balanced them with exercise and good healthy food the rest of the time.

The reason I've put it all back on is that I have not balanced out these things at all :D .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The lad is ill.

BLOODY CHEEK! :o>:(

I think the amount of obese kids is rising rapidly isn't it?

& these poor sods often have mahoosive parents too, so unfortunately it seems a vicious circle.

I can't see how this situation can be reversed.

Everyone automatically going down the gastric band route though IMO is totally wrong.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I have doubts about them keeping the weight off if that's how desperate they were to have some fast food.