Options

What's all the fuss with going abroad?

Comments

• Options
    TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jra wrote: »
    Dodgy creatures. Venomous spiders, scorpions, snakes, sharks, poisonous jellyfish, crocodiles, malaria mosquitoes, lions, tigers, hippos, bears etc.

Extreme weather/climate, like tornadoes, tsunamis, earthquakes, volcanoes etc.

Civil/political unrest, wars in various countries etc.

Countries which are not democratic or free, e.g. most of the Middle East, large parts of Asia and Africa.

Risk of kidnapping or torture.

Poor food hygiene.

Dodgy diseases and infections. Ebola being a case in point.

So, yes, what's not to like. Most of the above doesn't apply to the UK or Europe in general for example.

So, as an alternative to visiting some countries I can just switch on the TV or use the internet.
    Yes yes yes, but apart from all that, travelling's great!
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    I do think you should also know your own country too - a lot of people go abroad and never go anywhere in the UK.

This is true.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 294
    Forum Member
    i`m an introvert [apparently], i prefer to do things alone and other people`s company is usually the last thing i need or want, including eating out i guess it`s horses for courses.

Tell the truth, youre just too tight to get a round in.;-):D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes yes yes, but apart from all that, travelling's great!

Indeed, but there is so much to do in the UK and Europe, in a relatively safe environment.

I saw this everyday virtually for the best part of 21 years, so I often go meh when people brag about the wonderful and exotic places they've been, when for me it was pretty well FOC and these people have paid large sums of money. :D

Salcombe Week 2014 (Merlin Rocket) - Day 5, Race 9 Start - from Steadidrone Quadcopter
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7EQefv8Cak
  • Options
    ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    Indeed, but there is so much to do in the UK and Europe, in a relatively safe environment.

Travelling in Europe is still travelling and there are safe places outside Europe too. I've always wanted to visit Japan.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ænima wrote: »
    Travelling in Europe is still travelling and there are safe places outside Europe too. I've always wanted to visit Japan.

If I do decide to travel outside of Europe, I'll make an exception for Japan, as I'm fascinated by the culture and traveling on a bullet train is a must do for me.
  • Options
    boniverboniver Posts: 863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never been one who feels the need to explore the world and see as many places as I can before I die. It just doesn't appeal to me.

I do quite like having an annual holiday somewhere sunny with a pool, although as others have said, the stresses around travelling and airports sometimes make me not want to bother going abroad and stick with the UK!
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Better weather, cheaper beer.
  • Options
    TallywackerTallywacker Posts: 1,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For the sun! And the fact that going abroad is miles better value than holidaying in Rip Off Britain. Hotel prices over here are a joke. Why would I pay £500 for 5 nights in Cornwall when I can pay the same for a week in a 4 star hotel with guaranteed sunshine?

The only downside is the indignity of air flight, removing shoes, belts etc and being herded like cattle.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I do decide to travel outside of Europe, I'll make an exception for Japan, as I'm fascinated by the culture and traveling on a bullet train is a must do for me.

They have the death penalty there.
  • Options
    Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love travelling and going on holiday. Seeing new places, meeting new people, experiencing new things. The thing I look forward to most about going away is the food. I make sure I save up plenty of spending money and research my restaurants, I look forward to eating out at a different place every night and trying things I've not tried before, I've never understood people who just eat in the hotel all the time.

Plenty of places outside of Europe are safe too. America, Canada, Japan, Australia, New Zealand etc etc. You make it sound like as soon as you leave Europe everywhere is an uncivilised jungle!
  • Options
    Forum Member

They probably wouldn't sentence you to death just for being a tourist though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They probably wouldn't sentence you to death just for being a tourist though.

I know.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love going abroad but I'm not really interested in more cultural holidays so I have no desire to "go traveling", which everyone seems to be doing.

I just like a bit of sunshine, good food (burger and chips :p) and something fun to do. Disney World is the best holiday ever, but I'm also happy to splash around in a pool by day and get drunk by night.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jambo_c wrote: »
    Plenty of places outside of Europe are safe too. America, Canada, Japan, Australia, New Zealand etc etc. You make it sound like as soon as you leave Europe everywhere is an uncivilised jungle!

It wasn't an all inclusive list. And you are projecting too much, as in reading too much into what I posted. I'm fully aware that the other places you've listed are relatively safe in terms of of personal security, but not in terms of the other reasons I listed above, e.g. dodgy creatures etc. I'm not an idiot you know.

Yes I know, but thanks for the heads up. :p
  • Options
    live & let livelive & let live Posts: 452
    Forum Member
    I just love being somewhere else. I like to see different cultures and lifestyles, hear a new language, try new food. I hate the hassle of airports but will use them if I must. I don't need possessions. I need tickets. :)
  • Options
    TallywackerTallywacker Posts: 1,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with Boofie.

People who go 'travelling' invariably only do it so they can bang on about it for years to come and delight in putting loads of photos on facebook and similar all with a 'look at me' air about them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It wasn't an all inclusive list. And you are projecting too much, as in reading too much into what I posted. I'm fully aware that the other places you've listed are relatively safe in terms of of personal security, but not in terms of the other reasons I listed above, e.g. dodgy creatures etc. I'm not an idiot you know.

Yes I know, but thanks for the heads up. :p

Hey, I'm not the only one who thought you thought everywhere other than Europe was some sort of biblical disaster waiting to happen.
  • Options
    rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best thing? Getting out of this miserable sh--hole

Looking out the window now makes me want to book a flight
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 57,058
    Forum Member
    bart4858 wrote: »
    You have to get there first. And traveling by air is very, very stressful: arranging to get to the airport, getting up ridiculously early, worrying about missing a flight when stuck in traffic, finding a space in the giant, nearly full car park, at 5am waiting endlessly for the shuttle bus wondering if it's ever going to turn up (one eventually does, but drives past without stopping!).

At the airport, finding where you need to go, then finding massive queues for everything, even just buying coffee (and wondering why you need to dig out your boarding pass just for that!). Then waiting for gate numbers to be displayed, which involves staring at a screen because no announcement is made. And you haven't even boarded yet!

When you eventually make it abroad, the number one concern is keeping your passport safe (otherwise you might as well be on Mars for the chances you have of ever getting back), second is keeping hold of return tickets, credit cards, cash and mobile phone. Then trying to avoid getting ripped off with rental cars and accommodation and meals and ...

(Anyway, you get the idea.)

Perhaps it's just me, but I don't worry about any of those things or find any of them stressful.

Where are you going on holiday where your number one concern is keeping your passport safe? I just put it in the safe when I get there and it stays there.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 57,058
    Forum Member
    For the sun! And the fact that going abroad is miles better value than holidaying in Rip Off Britain. Hotel prices over here are a joke. Why would I pay £500 for 5 nights in Cornwall when I can pay the same for a week in a 4 star hotel with guaranteed sunshine?

The only downside is the indignity of air flight, removing shoes, belts etc and being herded like cattle.

I priced up a week at Centre Parcs in June and found I could go to Majorca for 2 weeks for less.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Boofie wrote: »
    I love going abroad but I'm not really interested in more cultural holidays so I have no desire to "go traveling", which everyone seems to be doing.

I just like a bit of sunshine, good food (burger and chips :p) and something fun to do. Disney World is the best holiday ever, but I'm also happy to splash around in a pool by day and get drunk by night.

A bit of culture is nice, but sometimes you can't beat a bit of sea, sun, a pool, booze and lots of nice food.
  • Options
    Forum Member

I know.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capital_punishment_in_Japan

But, as I'm highly unlikely to be a murderer or commit treason, it's relatively low risk. At least I can smuggle a few kilos of crack cocaine out of the country safely without copping it. Maybe a few years in the slammer, but it's a risk worth taking.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I priced up a week at Centre Parcs in June and found I could go to Majorca for 2 weeks for less.

I find unless you go camping or find a really good/last minute deal, holidaying on the continent is cheaper. Even a week's bed and breakfast in Skegness can cost more than a week in Spain or Greece.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hey, I'm not the only one who thought you thought everywhere other than Europe was some sort of biblical disaster waiting to happen.

Biblical disaster waiting to happen. Don't over egg it man. Emotive language or what.