Options

Sony sells over 10 million PlayStation 4's

Comments

• Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Davonator wrote: »
    It's an impressive sales figure and just like another poster said it seems all my friends either have a PS4 or intend to get one, I only know 2 people with XBOXones. I wonder why the gap is so big?

But Sony do need to not get complacent! I personally think the Driveclub situation is a debacle, and there is a very poor exclusives selection in the run up to Christmas. Xbox has Forza, Sunset Overdrive and Halo Collection, whereas Little Big Planet is the only big Sony Exclusive I can think of that's coming up (though please correct me if I'm wrong).

I am looking at either getting the Xbox or PS4 before Christmas, and apart from the hype (ie the PS4 is better & more powerful...which it is) for games the Xbox looks a far better purchase, and that is what is important. I can't think at the moment of any games that the PS4 has or coming that make it an essential purchase, The Order looked promising, but it seems that it may be a case of visuals over actual gameplay, other than that Uncharted is the only other game I can see.
  • Options
    DavonatorDavonator Posts: 4,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    I am looking at either getting the Xbox or PS4 before Christmas, and apart from the hype (ie the PS4 is better & more powerful...which it is) for games the Xbox looks a far better purchase, and that is what is important. I can't think at the moment of any games that the PS4 has or coming that make it an essential purchase, The Order looked promising, but it seems that it may be a case of visuals over actual gameplay, other than that Uncharted is the only other game I can see.

I own a PS4 and to my mind he XBOXOne has a better range of exclusives at this present time, I agree. However keep in mind that many version comparisons of multi-platform games tend to slightly favour the PS4 version as being a tad slicker, prettier than the XboxOne equivalent......I think it's win win though as both will be good, and you can't go wrong with either.

The Wii u is a good choice too actually, Bayonetta 2, Smash Bros, Mario Kart, DKC: Tropical Freeze, it's got some quality titles you won't see anywhere else!
  • Options
    jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just a quick question. Doesn't the exclusive games need to be good?

And does anyone really choose the console based solely on exclusives?

I have bought Shadow Of Mordor for the PS4 and will be getting Assassin's Creed and Dragon Age and they are all mutli-platform.

I cannot think of one exclusive game that I want to buy ahead of them. That, of course, if just my subjective view. I don't like FPS games or driving games and they seem to be ones that mainly form the exclusive genre.
  • Options
    ChparmarChparmar Posts: 6,367
    Forum Member
    I'll probably be getting a PS4 soon. Soon as in the next 6 months.

I enjoyed the PS2/Gamecube combination in that particular generation. And this gen may be a throw-back to those good old days! :)

If only N could at least get one solid Metriod title in, that would be the icing on the cake.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jcafcw wrote: »
    Just a quick question. Doesn't the exclusive games need to be good?

And does anyone really choose the console based solely on exclusives?

I have bought Shadow Of Mordor for the PS4 and will be getting Assassin's Creed and Dragon Age and they are all mutli-platform.

I cannot think of one exclusive game that I want to buy ahead of them. That, of course, if just my subjective view. I don't like FPS games or driving games and they seem to be ones that mainly form the exclusive genre.

I do, because really the difference between the consoles isn't that great, that is why I am leaning towards the Xbox, the exclusives at the moment and for the future as far as I am concerned swing to the Xbox.
  • Options
    whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    I do, because really the difference between the consoles isn't that great, that is why I am leaning towards the Xbox, the exclusives at the moment and for the future as far as I am concerned swing to the Xbox.

Which xbox exclusives? Sunset overdrive? Forza?

PS4 has infamous, driveclub etc.

Both consoles has stunning exclusives now.

They also both give free crappy "retro" games every month.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Sunset Overdrive looks a fun game, Halo as well is always a plus.

But looking ahead Quantum Break and Crackdown look good.

Driveclub, Infamous never appealed, if anything it would be Uncharted on PS4.
  • Options
    OMTTOMTT Posts: 5,459
    Forum Member
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The new Tomb Raider is an Xbox exclusive in 2015.
  • Options
    ChparmarChparmar Posts: 6,367
    Forum Member
    OMTT wrote: »

Brilliant. The PS4 has done wonders for Sony. Its not only boosted the Playstation brand as No.1, in the Videogame industry, but has also boosted the Network division - which is where all Sony's future really lies.
  • Options
    fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What PS4 has achieved in such a short space of time is pretty incredible. They're looking at sucess approaching Wii numbers here. And that's without seeing what's coming from a number of their key studios / franchises yet. Throw in a nice, diverse set of exclusives lined up for 2015 and it's just going to go stellar.
  • Options
    homer2012homer2012 Posts: 5,216
    Forum Member
    Will xbone get anywere near ps4?? I dont own either and have stopped gaming on consoles altogether now but would be interested in what both consoles have fir future features.
  • Options
    fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    homer2012 wrote: »
    Will xbone get anywere near ps4?? I dont own either and have stopped gaming on consoles altogether now but would be interested in what both consoles have fir future features.

PS3 battled its way back from delays and an abysmal launch to eventually overtake the Xbox 360, so anything's possible. Xbox One could still turn things around.

But this time around, Xbox just doesn't have the advantage in the UK and USA that it had in the past to bolster its global position. Unless those key territories get fully on board it's going to lag behind all the way.
  • Options
    YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member

If they can pull more bullcrap like securing more exclusives like Rise of the Tomb Raider then people will go for it. People want games, and as much as I dislike the practice of buying exclusivity, it would work.

And just reading up on things, it took the 360 two and a half years to reach the 10 million sales point. So for both current consoles to have passed that mark in its first year is very impressive.
  • Options
    Hank1234Hank1234 Posts: 3,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just bought a second ps4 off my pal for £200 with 4 games., winning
  • Options
    MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yuffie wrote: »
    If they can pull more bullcrap like securing more exclusives like Rise of the Tomb Raider then people will go for it. People want games, and as much as I dislike the practice of buying exclusivity, it would work.

And just reading up on things, it took the 360 two and a half years to reach the 10 million sales point. So for both current consoles to have passed that mark in its first year is very impressive.

I would doubt that many would buy a xbone just for tombraider.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    MC_Satan wrote: »

Not for one game, but if Microsoft did that a few more times .......
  • Options
    Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yeah, that is a fact a lot of people keep forgetting. Maybe not on this forum as most of us seem to keep away from the fanboy wars, but on other sites you would think the X1 has been a massive failure yet it's done better than the 360 so far!
    MC_Satan wrote: »
    Not for one game, but if Microsoft did that a few more times .......

I plan on getting a PS4 when Uncharted is out, until then there isn't enough of an appeal for me to get one. So people do buy console when one 'critical' game is out that has been on their radar. Or at least I do :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I rather think you have to have an inclination to buy a console and exclusives just tip the balance, I liked the lookof Ryse, but it was Titanfail that made me buy the xone, was probably always going to get one.
  • Options
    homer2012homer2012 Posts: 5,216
    Forum Member

Xbone 10m is boxes shipped not sold
    Sonys is 18m sold.

I do expect xbone to be near 8-9m sold before xmas.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Xbone 10m is boxes shipped not sold
    Sonys is 18m sold.

I do expect xbone to be near 8-9m sold before xmas.

Ya it's tough to get proper figures out of the companies, but even so, the X1 is still doing brilliantly.
  • Options
    Dan27Dan27 Posts: 9,652
    Forum Member
    Xbox One currently has 2m more sales over the 360 in the same period.

But with it going back to $400 and the PS4 staying the same price, the sales momentum will stop there until they release a cheaper console.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dan27 wrote: »
    Xbox One currently has 2m more sales over the 360 in the same period.

But with it going back to $400 and the PS4 staying the same price, the sales momentum will stop there until they release a cheaper console.

Seriously, is the xbone still more expensive than the ps4? That is idiotic.
  • Options
    FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blows Xbox One out of the water.

The Next Gen Console better isn't even a better anyway, Sony has won, comfortably.
  • Options
    He4rtHe4rt Posts: 5,379
    Forum Member
    Nice to see next gen gaming has taken off.

Hopefully we see less and less cross gen games now.

It will be interesting to see just how aggressive Microsoft get to gain sales. E3 2015 could be a very intersting event this year if the rumours of a cheaper slimline xbox console are true.

FusionFury wrote: »
    The Next Gen Console better isn't even a better anyway, Sony has won, comfortably.

:confused: