Options

Stars In Their Eyes

Comments

• Options
    AcerBenAcerBen Posts: 21,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can sympathise with people who don't like Harry Hill and wanted them to do it properly - but I'm not sure you CAN do that show properly any more because it is such a camp and silly show. I actually really enjoyed and found it really funny. The performances themselves weren't great, but the show somehow worked.
  • Options
    AcerBenAcerBen Posts: 21,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was also infinitely more entertaining than The Voice which I just had to keep zapping through as it was so tedious.
  • Options
    oathyoathy Posts: 32,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AcerBen wrote: »
    It was also infinitely more entertaining than The Voice which I just had to keep zapping through as it was so tedious.

think if they toned down the Sketches it would have worked.
    Or just given him the Harry hill show he clearly thought his Comedy was more important than the premise of the show.

Maybe this will be the Jolt ITV needs to get some fresh ideas/faces and stop trying to recycle things
  • Options
    ErinnaErinna Posts: 663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fugitive wrote: »
    Thought Challenge was on Freeview ?

Thank you fugitive, just retuned my freeview box and there it is! :)
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't disagree with The Voice - I just tried watching it but it's so dragged out. The more I think about it the more I think it was the shock of what Stars in Their Eyes had turned into which resulted in my comments. Maybe I need my head testing but I think I'll return next week.
  • Options
    IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think a lot of people are missing the point. harry Hill in my TV magazine, says it's intended to be a send up and not a proper talent programme. Why are some people not seeing that and suggesting it's trying to be something else?

It amuses me that the parallel is "The Voice." The manufactured intensity and hype on that, I find equally amusing.

I don't think the fact they have a final helps indicate it's allegedly meant to be a parody.

Even if it is a parody, that in itself is a tired idea. Peter Kay did it years ago.
  • Options
    oathyoathy Posts: 32,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think the fact they have a final helps indicate it's allegedly meant to be a parody.

Even if it is a parody, that in itself is a tired idea. Peter Kay did it years ago.

I think that's the crux really Harry hills Comedy is dated. His take on TV shows/home videos seems a lot more mainstream and a lot funnier. Its like his Film it was just dated humour from the early 90's.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    Once again - no one is going to take Stars In Their Eyes seriously in 2015!1
  • Options
    jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member

Indeed Shooting Stars did it better 20 years ago
  • Options
    CollieWobblesCollieWobbles Posts: 27,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    Collie, fair enough his Stars In Their Eyes was a bit of a disaster, but 'he ruined You've Been Framed'? You must be joking. He saved that show. Remember when Jonathon Wilkes and Lisa Riley were presenting it? It was turgid rubbish.

No I'm not joking, it was much better with the previous presenters, who didn't make some stupid remark about some z-lebrity that no one gives a toss about, over every single clip>:(. TV Burp was just as bad, he's just not funny, however much he pretends to be, acting like a tool isn't being funny, it just makes you look like a tool. He should wear a condom for presenting, after all if your going to act like a kn0b, you'd better dress like one.
  • Options
    jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    Ian_James3 wrote: »
    Once again - no one is going to take Stars In Their Eyes seriously in 2015!1

12m take celebrities competing for a plastic trophy on Strictly come dancing seriously.;-)
  • Options
    mrbernaymrbernay Posts: 146,107
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Erinna wrote: »
    [/B]

Exactly! That was atrocious! I thought the best singer won though. Bring back Matthew Kelly.

Next week's audience - Harry Hill's mum

Wish I could get Challenge TV!

Don't you have Freeview?
  • Options
    ErinnaErinna Posts: 663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mrbernay wrote: »
    Don't you have Freeview?

Thanks mrbernay, I retuned my freeview box and found it. :)
  • Options
    DangerBrotherDangerBrother Posts: 1,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing will ever beat Bob Mortimer doing George Michael.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    If they wanted it to be a parody of a much loved show they should have slightly altered the name. Just calling it "Harry Hill's Stars in your Eyes" does not make it a parody. Let's see if it lasts another 5 weeks... It will do, though, as ITV have nothing else to come up with unless they repeat Harry Potter again....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 132
    Forum Member
    I think a lot of people are missing the point. harry Hill in my TV magazine, says it's intended to be a send up and not a proper talent programme. Why are some people not seeing that and suggesting it's trying to be something else?

It amuses me that the parallel is "The Voice." The manufactured intensity and hype on that, I find equally amusing.

Because if they wanted a send up, they should've invented a new format and not bastardised one that has built up nothing but good will and fond memories from their audience.
  • Options
    16caerhos16caerhos Posts: 2,533
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Naming it 'Harry Hill's Stars in Their Eyes' is my biggest issue with this reboot. It's not supposed to be about the presenter, it was never 'The Matthew Kelly Show' was it? It's the same thing with YBF, Hill's name is in the front of that too. Either he has a massive ego or ITV see more value in him than there actually is.

I reckon the majority of people aren't watching these shows for him or his brand of comedy, they're watching for funny clips of people falling down and contestants impersonating famous singers. Harry Hill is not the major draw.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    16caerhos wrote: »
    Naming it 'Harry Hill's Stars in Their Eyes' is my biggest issue with this reboot. It's not supposed to be about the presenter, it was never 'The Matthew Kelly Show' was it? It's the same thing with YBF, Hill's name is in the front of that too. Either he has a massive ego or ITV see more value in him than there actually is.

I reckon the majority of people aren't watching these shows for him or his brand of comedy, they're watching for funny clips of people falling down and contestants impersonating famous singers. Harry Hill is not the major draw.

Agree :)
  • Options
    James2001James2001 Posts: 73,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    guy doing John Lennon on the original right now on Challenge .. absolutely brilliant!

He's the estranged dad of someone I know, he gets annoyed whenever that episode pops up on Challenge TV- I think he'd rather forget he exists, rather than have him pop up on Challenge TV every few weeks!
  • Options
    vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

better than The Voice.... not exactly a ringing endorsement
  • Options
    vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Corabal wrote: »
    This is being taken way too seriously, it's a tv programme for crying out loud.

I think the whole point of this avalanche of negative reaction is that the audience wanted it to be taken more seriously. People weren't expecting a satire of the old show.
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think this should be scheduled later, it would be even funnier than it is obviously intended to be, after a few pints down the pub.
  • Options
    SurrenderBillSurrenderBill Posts: 19,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tom Jones is the only credibility that 'The Voice' has, so hardly any point comparing SITE to that pile of old pit leakage, and they're very different shows anyway, even if SITE actually bothered being SITE instead of 'Burp does Karaoke'.
  • Options
    Bernard_Doyle1Bernard_Doyle1 Posts: 67
    Forum Member
    James2001 wrote: »
    He's the estranged dad of someone I know, he gets annoyed whenever that episode pops up on Challenge TV- I think he'd rather forget he exists, rather than have him pop up on Challenge TV every few weeks!

His name is Gary Gibson and at the time he was one of the best Lennon impersonators out there. Not seen him for years. He's probably retired by now