Options

last Tango in Halifax tonight BBC 1 at 9 pm.

Comments

• Options
    mikebukmikebuk Posts: 18,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Killary45 wrote: »
    Has the Edit button gone from your post?

No problem anyway. I am sure that you had no intention of posting a spoiler - and it could well be that the development in your post will be made clear to us all in the first minute of next week's episode.

It is easy to put information about future episodes in spoiler tags, once you know how, and I think it probably encourages more people to read your post, as well as keeping sticklers like me happy.

Yep, sorry I know how to tag, just didn't think. No more spoliers !
  • Options
    tortoisestortoises Posts: 657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This episode actually made me quite angry. Not only has the show previously had a woman in a lesbian relationship have sex with a man in order to get pregnant; now, it seems, it has seen fit to kill her. Should things come to pass as expected, all we need is for the father/sperm donor to become embroiled in a custody battle, and for Caroline to go back to being straight and we'll have a full house of lesbian cliches. This show is like the last twenty years never happened.

Potentially killing off a pregnant woman the day after her wedding, including a 'gripping cliffhanger' at the end, is a cheap stunt more akin to an episode of Eastenders or Hollyoaks than a quality drama. I half expected to hear the iconic Eastenders closing 'Dum Dum Dum-dum-dum-du-dum' theme music before the end credits rolled.

Furthermore, the foreshadowing of early death throughout the episode (in particular during John's drunken conversation with Gillian) was so hackneyed that even one of Gillian's sheep would have seen it coming a mile off. And how long was that scene? I don't like drunks rambling on interminably at me whilst I'm sober in real-life, so I certainly don't need to have a real-time replay of a drunken bore's mutterings on screen.

Rather than nuanced storytelling, this particular arc is nothing but gratuitous melodrama designed to wring a stunning performance from Sarah Lancashire (who will, I'm sure, be wonderful). Little more than BAFTA-bait.

There's a whiff of 'The Emperors New Clothes' about this show, in my view. The excellent performances elevate the often tawdry and cliche ridden material beyond it's natural level.
  • Options
    JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tortoises wrote: »
    This episode actually made me quite angry. Not only has the show previously had a woman in a lesbian relationship have sex with a man in order to get pregnant; now, it seems, it has seen fit to kill her. Should things come to pass as expected, all we need is for the father/sperm donor to become embroiled in a custody battle, and for Caroline to go back to being straight and we'll have a full house of lesbian cliches. This show is like the last twenty years never happened.

Potentially killing off a pregnant woman the day after her wedding, including a 'gripping cliffhanger' at the end, is a cheap stunt more akin to an episode of Eastenders or Hollyoaks than a quality drama. I half expected to hear the iconic Eastenders closing 'Dum Dum Dum-dum-dum-du-dum' theme music before the end credits rolled.

Furthermore, the foreshadowing of early death throughout the episode (in particular during John's drunken conversation with Gillian) was so hackneyed that even one of Gillian's sheep would have seen it coming a mile off. And how long was that scene? I don't like drunks rambling on interminably at me whilst I'm sober in real-life, so I certainly don't need to have a real-time replay of a drunken bore's mutterings on screen.

Rather than nuanced storytelling, this particular arc is nothing but gratuitous melodrama designed to wring a stunning performance from Sarah Lancashire (who will, I'm sure, be wonderful). Little more than BAFTA-bait.

There's a whiff of 'The Emperors New Clothes' about this show, in my view. The excellent performances elevate the often tawdry and cliche ridden material beyond it's natural level.

I didn't see the death coming, maybe I should watch again. What kind of things did they say?

I thought the drunk conversation was hilarious.
  • Options
    Killary45Killary45 Posts: 1,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tortoises wrote: »

I think the word "melodrama" sums the show up quite well. I don't think that it is has ever been all that nuanced - it has been full of unlikely coincidences since the first series.

I think that it is melodrama, but it is good melodrama - and in my opinion if you are going to put on a family drama then why not throw in everything including the kitchen sink?
  • Options
    Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mikebuk wrote: »
    Sky's synopsis for next week's episode says ..........

Caroline is overwhelmed at the prospect of looking after baby Flora on her own until a stanger walks in to her life who may be the answer to her prayers.

Maybe it's Kate's mother.

I think this is Gary. Either they (Caroline and him) end up having an affair or he takes the child - do him and his wife have kids? If not, they may adopt. That's me looking into my crystal ball. If it is the former I think I will stop watching. I never fully bought into the lesbian relationship - the two actresses have not made that relationship believable - but if they have her reverting to becoming straight again would be too cynical. Running ahead of myself...we'll see!
  • Options
    henry_hopehenry_hope Posts: 761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another brilliant episode,beautifully acted and written.
  • Options
    Tommo781Tommo781 Posts: 4,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the inadvertent spoiler posted earlier is not as cut and dried as it may seem.
    if it helps. My thoughts are:-
    The TV mags are saying about Caroline looking after the baby. None of them (that I can see) say that Kate is dead. It could be that she is in a coma or something equally awful. Time will tell.
  • Options
    TallywackerTallywacker Posts: 1,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    geogchick wrote: »
    Why do you think that? Did I miss something...?

The look on his face when he saw Caroline for the first time, plus her face too. I may have read it wrong but there was a 'knowing' exchange of glances between the two of them.
  • Options
    holly berryholly berry Posts: 14,288
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Last night's episode had too many soap twists that undermine much of the otherwise good writing by Sally Wainwright. Still brilliantly acted. I guess if a main character had to fall under the wheels of a car then it makes sense for it to be one-dimensional Kate!
  • Options
    Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last night's episode had too many soap twists that undermine much of the otherwise good writing by Sally Wainwright. Still brilliantly acted. I guess if a main character had to fall under the wheels of a car then it makes sense for it to be one-dimensional Kate!

It's always been very soapy in terms of cliché driven storylines but for me it is the quality of the writing / performance that elevate it. As you say for me the weak link in terms of character was Kate. She serves a purpose but this (whatever it is) will give Sarah Lancashire opportunity to shine. The ensemble cast are excellent actors who make this work. In less competent hands this wouldn't be the success it is.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can I just ask...... who is the father of Kate's baby? Missed an episode or two.
  • Options
    holly berryholly berry Posts: 14,288
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can I just ask...... who is the father of Kate's baby? Missed an episode or two.

An old friend of Kate's from uni who did the deed during a romantic weekend break at a hotel that Caroline had booked to consolidate her relationship with Kate. Caroline didn't appear to like him and I don't think we have seen him since.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    An old friend of Kate's from uni who did the deed during a romantic weekend break at a hotel that Caroline had booked to consolidate her relationship with Kate. Caroline didn't appear to like him and I don't think we have seen him since.

Thank you..... they aren't backward at coming forward on the sex front this lot are they?
  • Options
    bebo83bebo83 Posts: 186
    Forum Member
    Pretty boring episode all told. Was wondering where the drama was and it all came in the last 5 minutes.

So is it safe to say Caroline and Gary have previous? Must be the most inbred programme BBC has ever seen.
    I have watched it back and can't see anything. She is distraught and he doesn't know what to say to someone he has just met.
  • Options
    gary217gary217 Posts: 267
    Forum Member
    We've enjoyed this up to now - it has had great twists and lots of insight into the characters, wacky though they are. Last weeks episode was a bit of a let down with the appearance of Gary, thought "here we go...another overused soap style cliche of an unexpected child from long ago..." And then this week it delivered its final cr@p blow with a traumatic death or near death just after a wedding.

If I wanted to watch drivel like that I'd watch eastenders/emmer dale or some other brain numbing rubbish. It is lazy writing at its worse, or it shows the writer(s) should have stopped at the end of the last series as they're now devoid of the good ideas that kept previous series so watchable.

You can now almost predict the script...who needs spoilers, and yes like the other posters on here we saw it coming like a freight train - I just hung onto the hope that the writer(s) we're good enough to be just teasing us with the thought that Kate would end up as a resting actor but no...they hit the 'cr@p cliche' button with all their might.

Lazy and bad writing - we deserve something better. Bad show beeb!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gary217 wrote: »
    We've enjoyed this up to now - it has had great twists and lots of insight into the characters, wacky though they are. Last weeks episode was a bit of a let down with the appearance of Gary, thought "here we go...another overused soap style cliche of an unexpected child from long ago..." And then this week it delivered its final cr@p blow with a traumatic death or near death just after a wedding.

If I wanted to watch drivel like that I'd watch eastenders/emmer dale or some other brain numbing rubbish. It is lazy writing at its worse, or it shows the writer(s) should have stopped at the end of the last series as they're now devoid of the good ideas that kept previous series so watchable.

You can now almost predict the script...who needs spoilers, and yes like the other posters on here we saw it coming like a freight train - I just hung onto the hope that the writer(s) we're good enough to be just teasing us with the thought that Kate would end up as a resting actor but no...they hit the 'cr@p cliche' button with all their might.

Lazy and bad writing - we deserve something better. Bad show beeb!

Yes, I agree with the above. I loved all the previous series, but this one is just going too far with the cliches. And they are so obviously coming as we watch. Perhaps it should have reached a conclusion at the end of the last series whilst it was still at the top of its game.
  • Options
    Mr CellophaneMr Cellophane Posts: 2,505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did think at the time the programme dwelt on the loading up of Kate's car to a degree that signaled fairly clearly impending tragedy.

That said, I am not getting the angry reaction to this season's script that some are obviously feeling. For me it's still a masterclass in TV acting by a bunch of people at the top of their game, and therefore unmissable.

I could quite happily watch Nicola Walker reading aloud a telephone directory (or in the case of that supermarket scene - not saying anything at all !)
  • Options
    ScotlassScotlass Posts: 821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Found the episode a bit boring at the start, all the clips of Celia on her own etc. The end certainly changed that. Hope Kate is written out, found her annoying.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,800
    Forum Member
    And even when trying to apologise the twisted, bitter old woman was still making excuses that it was everyone else's fault but her own. She doesn't deserve him and I think he had a lucky escape first time around all those years ago.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did think at the time the programme dwelt on the loading up of Kate's car to a degree that signaled fairly clearly impending tragedy.

That said, I am not getting the angry reaction to this season's script that some are obviously feeling. For me it's still a masterclass in TV acting by a bunch of people at the top of their game, and therefore unmissable.

I could quite happily watch Nicola Walker reading aloud a telephone directory (or in the case of that supermarket scene - not saying anything at all !)

I quite agree the acting is superb. My gripe, and I believe this goes for others too, is the script is not up to the standard of previous series. It is so cliched and predictable that I, for one, find it disappointing.
  • Options
    lealeedslealeeds Posts: 2,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well it just shows you can't please everybody.
    For me it is some of the best tv I have seen for a long time.
  • Options
    crunchie crispcrunchie crisp Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    JamieHT wrote: »
    I didn't see the death coming, maybe I should watch again. What kind of things did they say?

I thought the drunk conversation was hilarious.

I think their sober conversation next day was a lot more poignant. Recognising their similarities and chemistry, with Gillian noting that she needs someone different to herself. I also found it sweet that John seemed to be the only one who recognised that Gillian should feel more hurt by the situation than the totally selfish Celia
  • Options
    ShevkShevk Posts: 1,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All those who are afraid that Caroline may "revert" to being straight are missing the point. She was never straight. She first came out to her mother at eighteen during her first year of university, it was her mother's hostility that pushed her into a closeted existence and a steady conventional union with a young academic - this was explained in series one. Last week's episode had a very prominent scene where Caroline gushed about how indepted she was to Kate for giving her the "courage" and "willing" to be herself.
  • Options
    Ray266Ray266 Posts: 3,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IMHO it was a bit soapy but it's a good drama, I bet the new Radio Times doesn't give much away I'll check tomorrow when it comes out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ray266 wrote: »
    IMHO it was a bit soapy but it's a good drama, I bet the new Radio Times doesn't give much away I'll check tomorrow when it comes out.

According to the Radio Times web site it says more or less the same as the previous spoilers on this thread.